• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

Jonnyram

Road said:
MH is a done deal. It'll sell greatly on the 3DS. Sony better enjoy their PSP success in Japan while it lasts.

Sangokushi Touch Battle
Project N.O.E.L.S.
Little Deviants
Yuusha no Kiroku
Minna to Issho
Niconico ("launch title"...)

5 games that will never appear on these threads for being download only.
These are not games:
Yuusha no Kiroku - gain experience for carrying out everyday tasks, like Epic Win on iOS.
Minna to Issho - similar to Mii Plaza on 3DS.

Mind you, there have been plenty of non-games charting in the last five years, so my comment means nothing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DaSorcerer7 said:
Forgot to the add Wii U, but the rest of your post sounds like the most plausible scenario to me.
Right, I didn't mean to exclude it in the sense of the game not appearing there, but as the base cost for the art asset.

Whatever the strongest non-PC system they target is will determine the resource cost of developing art assets, since Capcom usually tries to be at the top of the systems they develop on.

Given how Dragon's Dogma has completely crippled the company's output, if they end up targeting a high enough specification, they might need 90-95% of their Japanese staff just to support two projects at a time.

Road

Jonnyram said:
These are not games:
Yuusha no Kiroku - gain experience for carrying out everyday tasks, like Epic Win on iOS.
Minna to Issho - similar to Mii Plaza on 3DS.

Mind you, there have been plenty of non-games charting in the last five years, so my comment means nothing.
Thanks.

It seems, at least initially, "proper games" will almost all of them come in physical form too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, it appears we know Vita's launch period lineup.

No use shitting up the other threads with sales crap, but at least short term I feel like Vita is in some trouble.

No real compelling content, a much higher price, and its going to go up against an absolutely monster lineup when it launches, and even in the months after.

I'm not saying VITA AM DOOMED or anything ridiculous like that, but I think the 3DS proved you really need great content to have a chance at that price, and I'm not seeing that content.

Long term, I see a problem with Vita's specs -- seems like a much safer and cheaper bet for 3rd parties to just develop on the 3DS instead of creating original content on Vita. I know it is extremely early, but the trend right now seems to be Vita/PS3, which doesn't do much for differentiating Vita in my view.

Curious on others thoughts.

duckroll

schuelma said:
I'm not saying VITA AM DOOMED or anything ridiculous like that,

You don't have to say it, I'll say it. The Vita is doomed. For the entire generation? Maybe not, since we've seen comebacks like the PSP. In the short term? It's completely doomed. This is not an exaggeration or doom/gloom. It's just simply reality. The Vita will be launching in December, with a lackluster JP lineup filled with ports and smaller titles from low-tier developers and publishers. It is going up against an extremely strong 3DS holiday season, with a new Monster Hunter game and other first party and third party exclusives. The 3DS is a hundred bucks less. The 3DS also has a relatively solid lineup for Japan for the next 6 months or so, covering most of early 2012. The Vita has no exclusive big guns announced at all or even hinted at for 2012. The biggest JP title for the Vita is Persona 4 The Golden.

Yeah, it's definitely not looking good. The Vita will really struggle to gain any ground at all well into 2012, even if things drastically change next year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Magicpaint said:
Woah, really? Wow. Go Tales!

[PS2] Tales of Destiny 2 (Namco) - 498.142 / 762.861 / 65,30% 28/11/02

500k for a Tales of?!?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
[PS2] Tales of Destiny 2 (Namco) - 498.142 / 762.861 / 65,30% 28/11/02

500k for a Tales of?!?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT
Well, it went from 500K day one to 600K shipped day two, which suggests a lot of sales.

Namco really did a great job reviving the series.

Spiegel

Holy fuck ToX

duckroll said:
You don't have to say it, I'll say it. The Vita is doomed. For the entire generation? Maybe not, since we've seen comebacks like the PSP. In the short term? It's completely doomed. This is not an exaggeration or doom/gloom. It's just simply reality. The Vita will be launching in December, with a lackluster JP lineup filled with ports and smaller titles from low-tier developers and publishers. It is going up against an extremely strong 3DS holiday season, with a new Monster Hunter game and other first party and third party exclusives. The 3DS is a hundred bucks less. The 3DS also has a relatively solid lineup for Japan for the next 6 months or so, covering most of early 2012. The Vita has no exclusive big guns announced at all or even hinted at for 2012. The biggest JP title for the Vita is Persona 4 The Golden.

Yeah, it's definitely not looking good. The Vita will really struggle to gain any ground at all well into 2012, even if things drastically change next year.

Agreed.

If say, a potential >800k seller (S-E games or MH basically) was in development and coming in the next 12 months or so, Sony would have announced it.

The only "big" game is FFX and that's coming to PS3 too.

And there's no "hype" game (Crisis Core, FFXIII, MGS4) that could sell consoles even if it's not coming in a long time.

Nirolak said:
Well, it went from 500K day one to 600K shipped day two, which suggests a lot of sales.

Namco really did a great job reviving the series.
Or a bad job for waiting so long before launching a new Tales of on PS3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2011 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

01./00. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379)
02./00. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection <ADV> (Capcom) {2011.09.08} (¥4.490)
03./01. [PSP] Grand Knights History <RPG> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.01} (¥5.229)
04./00. [PS3] Resistance 3 <ACT> (SCE) {2011.09.08} (¥5.980)
05./02. [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (¥4.800)
06./00. [WII] Super Sentai Battle: Ranger Cross <ACT> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥6.090)
07./04. [WII] Rhythm Heaven <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} (¥5.800)
08./00. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) <SPT> (SCE) {2011.09.08} (¥2.980)
09./07. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} (¥4.800)
10./15. [WII] Wii Sports Resort <SPT> (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} (¥4.800)

schuelma

Holy crap at ToX. Wow. Namco shouldn't move the series anytime soon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita needs exclusive content - games which are already on Ps3 are nice, but those arent neccesarly systemseller. Lookin at Nintendos 3DS lineup - many of those games, even the bigger IPS are exclusive.

@ToX
Wow... finally Bamco. Gratz.

Erethian

slaughterking said:
Woah, Vita needs its own original mainline Tales apparently.

I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion, since this is largely about Namco finally finding the system Tales games should be released on.

It's taken nearly a full generation but Namco has finally found a way to get the Tales back on its proper footing. Now a 2D main entry by Team Destiny pretty please?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Erethian said:
I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion, since this is largely about Namco finally finding the system Tales games should be released on.
His point was that it is now a really big series again, not that he thinks this is seriously a good idea.

guina

Vita is not looking good. It wont go against just a strong 3DS. Japanese developers are not ready to abandom the PSP either, and the UMD games are not going to disapear from stores in Japan. Yeap everything Sony built with the PSP is scraped with Vita, they are starting over again and will face the same slow start PSP had. Wonder if they will be lucky to find the next big thing to save their handheld again.

It is sad because they seemed to fix all the problems with the PSP, they just missed the bigest lesson this generation taught us. You need to secure big third party exclusives or you wont survive in this market.

duckroll said:

What is doomed?

Sony will not sale the first launchshipment of Vitas or what?

cvxfreak

Yeah, I don't see Vita doing too well this December. The hardware might be lucrative, but wow, the launch lineup is unappealing to the Japanese market.

schuelma

guina said:
Vita is not looking good. It wont go against just a strong 3DS. Japanese developers are not ready to abandom the PSP either, and the UMD games are not going to disapear from stores in Japan. Yeap everything Sony built with the PSP is scraped with Vita, they are starting over again and will face the same slow start PSP had. Wonder if they will be lucky to find the next big thing to save their handheld again.

It is sad because they seemed to fix all the problems with the PSP, they just missed the bigest lesson this generation taught us. You need to secure big third party exclusives or you wont survive in this market.

Right that is another good point I meant to bring up. Similiar to the 3DS, Vita is going to have to compete with its own legacy platform which is still going strong.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PdotMichael said:
What is doomed?

I don't know, PSP go finally managed to sell the launch shipment in Japan, right?
bwahaha

m.i.s.

Banned
duckroll said:

Spot on I think. The Vita will, furthermore, see the continuing popularity of the existing PSP act as an inertia on initial Vita sales.

M.I.S. said:
Spot on I think. The Vita will, furthermore, see the continuing popularity of the existing PSP act as an inertia on initial Vita sales.
I think the PSP will actually serve as a detractor. Why buy a Vita when the PSP has all the games you want, is cheaper, and can actually play the UMDs? It'll be similar to the DS/3DS situation, except the PSP actually has a respectable 2011/2012 lineup.

schuelma said:
Right that is another good point I meant to bring up. Similiar to the 3DS, Vita is going to have to compete with its own legacy platform which is still going strong.

Except worse due to lack of proper BC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PdotMichael said:
What is doomed?

I'd personally define it as "struggling to be a relevant platform on the market with no end to the struggle in sight."

The Vita could get some huge title in Fall 2012 that's not announce until TGS next year, but we have no indication that is coming, which means that for the foreseeable future it will be very difficult to have sales sustain themselves at a desirable baseline.

The biggest issue is that teams who are capable of making high end Vita games are also capable of making PS3 games, and thus their Vita support consists of ports of their PS3 games.

Now, maybe when the PS4 comes out and eventually takes off it those teams will prefer to be at the top of the Vita instead of at the middle of the PlayStation 4, but that's quite a ways away.

Ydahs said:
ToX over 500k? Remarkable.

Any reason why this one sold so well? Marketing? Hype? Lack of JRPGs?
Good platform choice and a substantial amount of quality improvement.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ydahs said:

I'll say it.
Almost complete lack of SE big games, apart from FFXIII
More breath for everyone.

RPGamer92

Banned
Ydahs said:

Probably a mix of PS Platform association+First original Tales game for PS3+Team Symphonia+15th anniversary+Bigger PS3 install base now than when the last Tales games came out+Demand for a AAA console JRPG that harkens back to the PS2 era

Hypereides

Gold Member
Mpl90 said:
I'll say it.
Almost complete lack of SE big games, apart from FFXIII
More breath for everyone.

Mostly likely part of the FF fanbase moving over to Tales of after the lacking quality of FFXIII and possibly FFXIV.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jonnyram said:
It will sell as many as they put on market.

Not the same - but i expected the 3DS also to sell everything they can ship.
3DS lineup was lackluster and it was overpriced, but the Vita Lineup isnt that attractive right now.

Fularu

Banned
schuelma said:
At least the 3DS can play DS games out of the box.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Don't move the goalposts. You specifically said December.

I didn't move anything. You equated "doing well" with "selling out." But we don't know the initial shipment, and "doing well" encompasses more than just the hardware sales.

So I responded with another remark -- if Vita is sold out and the hot item in the second week of January, after launch and holiday festivities begin dying down, then I will be shocked and will consider it to be doing well or doing better than I am expecting.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I didn't move anything. You equated "doing well" with "selling out." But we don't know the initial shipment, and "doing well" encompasses more than just the hardware sales.
So why make such an unfulfillable statement in the first place?
How can we measure its success in December, as per your original statement?

duckroll

cvxfreak said:

So I responded with another remark -- if Vita is sold out and the hot item in the second week of January, after launch and holiday festivities begin dying down, then I will be shocked and will consider it to be doing well or doing better than I am expecting.

I don't think he equated anything. He said that it would likely sell out whatever they decide to ship in December. Since it is unlikely that they have a ton to ship in December to begin with, I'm inclined to agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is doing well in general.

After PSP's turnaround, you'd be pretty foolish to claim to know how Vita will be faring in 2014, let alone 2016. But anyone who doesn't think that the software lineup alone raises serious doubts about the platform's current commercial viability has some blinders on.

Top Bottom