• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2014 (Aug 25 - Aug 31)

Darius

Banned
Capcom released "Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package" at retail. That product does not exist on PSN. As I said earlier, MHFG's client is free to download on PS3 and Vita. Famitsu has yet to track free downloads on their monthly chart. As it is only available through a retail release, everyone playing DQX on 3DS will be represented through the sales reports. That's not the case for MHFG.

Then there is even less reason to hide behind mysterious unknown numbers.
You make it sound like it´s some kind of a competition while it will be just a comparison between sales of retail releases of subscription based games on handhelds.

I don't think anyone expected MHFG on Vita to outsell DQX on 3DS. It seems to be the less popular game on a considerably less popular platform. Personally, I didn't think MHFG on Vita could even hit 5 digits after the Wii U release of the game. A very late port of a subscription MMO on a handheld is not something I thought anyone would want.

Sure, Dragon Quest X does go against what made Dragon Quest successful. I never implied otherwise. No one is expecting Dragon Quest X to sell millions on any platform. I'm arguing against your bizarre attempt to link the success of Monster Hunter on handhelds to how Frontier should perform on a handheld. Here's the part of the conversation I disagree with:

That´s a surprise, because I actually wouldn´t take WiiU as a barometer for several reasons, the most obvious and biggest is that Monster Hunter is far more popular on handhelds. PSV has also been pushed as a Monster Hunter clone machine with several clones and releases and there already has been an only online game with Phantasy Star that was somewhat popular, even its retail release.

You're saying that Frontier's failure on consoles should be ignored because now it's on a handheld and that's where the mothership is popular. You would kind of have a point ... if Frontier wasn't seven years old and didn't go against what made those handheld games so successful in the first place.

I don´t see such a huge difference between Frontier and regular main-entries. The biggest difference is that its only online (something that in Japan isn´t a big problem thanks to widespread public wifi and therefore no hindrance in playing it in groups). I would even argue that Frontier is far more similar to regular Monster Hunter games than DQX. But it seems you really want to sell the idea that Frontier is at huge disadvantage for whatever reason.

Yeah, Monster Hunter did have a subscription fee on PS2 and Wii. Unless you're Ben Heck, those were home consoles. If Capcom launched Monster Hunter Portable with multiplayer behind a paywall, I think that property would still be hanging out with the likes of Auto Modellista and Resident Evil: Outbreak.

As a consumer, I agree. I can at least sell MHFG's cartridge, though I'm not sure how much value that would hold.

That doesn't change the fact that you have one way to play DQX on 3DS.

I made clear that the point is that MH pushed for online subscriptions from the get go, it wasn´t some new concept introduced by Frontier, but introduced by the very same main series. Therefore many MH fans already had experience with this kind of business modell. While DQX is in fact the first and only DQ game to introduce this kind of model to the main series. That´s the reason why your excuse that Frontier is too different compared to the main series to be compared to DQX seems pretty far-fetched

Darius

Banned
New 3DS will stop another yearly 40-50% decline and put its total lifetime sales comfortably over 20 million units, but that's all. With this patch Nintendo is simply buying time, they aren't capable of launching the true 3DS successor by next year. The problem I see is that I'm not too sure if their strategy will work outside Japan.

Will Famitsu publish early Xbox One sales?

What do you mean by another yearly 40%-50% decline? So far 3DS hasn´t seen such a decline in a calendar year yet. It could happen this year for the first time but with the revision this still remains to be seen. And it´s very unlikely that there´ll be such a decline next year anyway.
About beeing capable to launch a successor, it´s more like there´s is no point in killing off a 3 year old system. Revisions have been a thing since their first handheld Gen, after 3 generations of handhelds. I think that somewhat informed people should know that.

Bruno MB

What do you mean by another yearly 40%-50% decline?

I was referring to 2015.

Prior to the announcement of the new revision, 3DS was poised to have a 40% decline for this year, and it's not hard to imagine that it would suffer another similar steep drop in 2015.

Darius

Banned
I was referring to 2015.

Prior to the announcement of the new revision, 3DS was poised to have a 40% decline for this year, and it's not hard to imagine that it would suffer another similar steep drop in 2015.

Ok if that´s what you meant, it seemed to me that you meant that the revision could prevent another 40%-50% decline this year, while this year would actually have been the first. And if there is no such decline this year, it would actually be the first in 2015.

I think that new3DS will have a favourable 1st half next year. It´s hard to make any further predictions because we have little to no idea what their late 2015 lineup looks like. This years revision and big releases like Smash, MH and Pkm surely make it very difficult to keep pace with in the second half next year.

crinale

I made clear that the point is that MH pushed for online subscriptions from the get go, it wasn´t some new concept introduced by Frontier, but introduced by the very same main series. Therefore many MH fans already had experience with this kind of business modell. While DQX is in fact the first and only DQ game to introduce this kind of model to the main series. That´s the reason why your excuse that Frontier is too different compared to the main series to be compared to DQX seems pretty far-fetched

MH Frontier's microtransaction fee is insane. They made it so expensive and also almost mandatory, that's what putting ppl off in Japan. They even confessed they made the price to the point they won't take any risk of losing money.

MH Frontier's microtransaction fee is insane. They made it so expensive and also almost mandatory, that's what putting ppl off in Japan. They even confessed they made the price to the point they won't take any risk of losing money.

... I don't get Capcom.

You don't want to put out a mainline MH anywhere else except on one platform. That is perfectly rational and understandable, since the game lives and dies off its adhoc co-op, and you don't want to split the userbase, so one platform only = makes perfect sense.

But your spin-off ( bread crumbs for the losers ) shouldn't be such a terrible POS like Frontier.

crinale

... I don't get Capcom.

You don't want to put out a mainline MH anywhere else except on one platform. That is perfectly rational and understandable, since the game lives and dies off its adhoc co-op, and you don't want to split the userbase, so one platform only = makes perfect sense.

But your spin-off ( bread crumbs for the losers ) shouldn't be such a terrible POS like Frontier.

In their defense Frontier is run by totally different team from mainline MH in Capcom. I'm guessing that if they don't meet the financial expectation set by their boss then they're screwed.

Takao

Banned
Then there is even less reason to hide behind mysterious unknown numbers.
You make it sound like it´s some kind of a competition while it will be just a comparison between sales of retail releases of subscription based games on handhelds.

It would be a flawed comparison because of the reasons I've already gone through, but sure, go ahead and compare.

That´s a surprise, because I actually wouldn´t take WiiU as a barometer for several reasons, the most obvious and biggest is that Monster Hunter is far more popular on handhelds. PSV has also been pushed as a Monster Hunter clone machine with several clones and releases and there already has been an only online game with Phantasy Star that was somewhat popular, even its retail release.

Wii U actually has a real Monster Hunter game compared to Vita's off-brand games. It was also the last platform prior to Vita to receive a port of Frontier. The game didn't perform well on PS3 and did horrendous numbers on Wii U. Due to the size of the userbases and time between releases, I expected MHFG on Vita to trend closer to the Wii U version.

Bringing up Phantasy Star is weird as well. PSO2 wasn't seven years old when it launched on Vita. PSO2 wasn't already available on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U before it launched on the handheld.
PSO2 is actually a game people enjoy.

I don´t see such a huge difference between Frontier and regular main-entries. The biggest difference is that its only online (something that in Japan isn´t a big problem thanks to widespread public wifi and therefore no hindrance in playing it in groups). I would even argue that Frontier is far more similar to regular Monster Hunter games than DQX. But it seems you really want to sell the idea that Frontier is at huge disadvantage for whatever reason.

Darius, you have to be trolling me because I don't believe a person can naturally be this obtuse. I am not saying that Monster Hunter Frontier is a bigger change of pace to MH fans than DQX is to its fandom. I'm arguing against you trying to link MH's prior success on portable platforms to how Frontier should perform on a handheld (you did it again in this post). That is the point of contention. Dragon Quest X has nothing to do with that because no one has implied that DQX could emulate the success of the prior handheld releases. No logical person expects that to happen because DQX is considerably different than the successful handheld DQs. No logical person should expect the same from MHFG.

extralite

How do MMORPGs run on smartphones? Honest question.
Do you mean how well? I have no idea actually, not even for DQX. So I can't position it relative to the platforms I mentioned which I do have info about or first hand experience.

Do we have anymore info regarding why this is? Is it faster because of being more robust/stable, or is it because it supports faster speed (higher mbits, meaning that only those with very high speed internet would benefit from it)?

They mention it in the part about the better CPU with no explanation other than that the faster CPU enables faster downloads on the eShop.

Do you mean how well? I have no idea actually, not even for DQX. So I can't position it relative to the platforms I mentioned which I do have info about or first hand experience.

I asked because you said that DQX is limited by an old hardware; but if MMORPGs do not run well on other mobile devices (like new smartphones and tablets) then issues might be somewhere else. But I don't know much about the topic, so I was asking ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
They mention it in the part about the better CPU with no explanation other than that the faster CPU enables faster downloads on the eShop.
I see. Could it have something to do with upacking and decrypting the files faster? Makes little sense to me that a faster CPU alone would allow for faster download speed (taken into account that people have high enough bandwith that supports those download speed of course).

Darius

Banned
It would be a flawed comparison because of the reasons I've already gone through, but sure, go ahead and compare.

Wii U actually has a real Monster Hunter game compared to Vita's off-brand games. It was also the last platform prior to Vita to receive a port of Frontier. The game didn't perform well on PS3 and did horrendous numbers on Wii U. Due to the size of the userbases and time between releases, I expected MHFG on Vita to trend closer to the Wii U version.

Bringing up Phantasy Star is weird as well. PSO2 wasn't seven years old when it launched on Vita. PSO2 wasn't already available on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U before it launched on the handheld.
PSO2 is actually a game people enjoy.

Darius, you have to be trolling me because I don't believe a person can naturally be this obtuse. I am not saying that Monster Hunter Frontier is a bigger change of pace to MH fans than DQX is to its fandom. I'm arguing against you trying to link MH's prior success on portable platforms to how Frontier should perform on a handheld (you did it again in this post). That is the point of contention. Dragon Quest X has nothing to do with that because no one has implied that DQX could emulate the success of the prior handheld releases. No logical person expects that to happen because DQX is considerably different than the successful handheld DQs. No logical person should expect the same from MHFG.

Really you make it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. Anyway I already pointed out several similarities so I won´t repeat them, there are differences obviously, different IPs (but similarly popular) and different systems (but both are handhelds). In my opinion the obvious similarities still warrant a comparison. Also when it comes to subscription based online gaming I don´t think the size of the userbase plays a big role after a certain threshold, since these kind of games attract more the hardcore gamers rather than the mainstream anyway.

Advanced Warfare/Winning Eleven 2015 in November.

Bloodborne in February.

DQ Heroes/Senran Kagura in March.

Let's see what momentum they'll generate.

WE2015 is scheduled for PS3, PS4 and XBO

no handheld versions, of course no Vita, of course PSP is dead, but also no 3DS despite good sales for last year and world cup version

should we expect another twitter from mpl90 to Konami as he did last year ? :)

Darius

Banned

no handheld versions, of course no Vita, of course PSP is dead, but also no 3DS despite good sales for last year and world cup version

Konami has made alot of weird moves (for example buying and killing off Hudson) especially when it comes to Nintendo systems in the past. Starting with Wii versions of WinningEleven releasing months after other versions and in mid-season and announcing a MGS collection after MGS3DS but releasing the collection months earlier, are probably the most known.

WinningEleven/PES in particular seems to be a very mismanaged IP, it saw a huge decline last gen and this can´t be attributed to wrong system choice, since it´s multiplattform. Sales of the most recent 3DS entries sold quite well in comparison but I still I can´t say I´m surprised by Konami, despite that this isn´t exactly how you build a loyal userbase on a different ecosystem, while PS3 and PS4 versions basically share a largely overlapping userbase anyway.

Too bad for Konami maybe they could have even taken advantage of the new wave of hardware sales due to the new revision and launch of software heavy hitters.

Alrus

lolKonami. They really have no idea what they are doing with their sports franchises.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It seems Dragon Quest Heroes is planned for a March release.

One only had to look at Koei Tecmo's IR report to get that info.

They were advising their shareholders that during the second half of their fiscal year, another collaborative title would be announced and released :)

Looking forward to Dragon Quest Heroes release, hoping for a localization! :D

Foshy

comgnet not looking good for xb1

Code:
1.  [3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 107pt
2.  [PSV] Toukiden Kiwami - 41pt
3.  [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online - 40pt
4.  [PS4] Sengoku Musou 4 - 24pt
5.  [3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 22pt
6.  [PS3] Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition - 14pt
7.  [3DS] New Yoshi's Island - 14pt
8.  [PS3] Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - 12pt
9.  [PS3] Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (Subtitled) re cheaper version - 12pt
10. [PS3] Persona 4 Ultimax Newcomer package - 12pt
11. [PS3] Persona 4 Ultimax (Normal Edition) - 11pt
12. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered - 10pt
13. [3DS] Yokai Watch - 10pt
14. [3DS] The Adventures of space-time gurus Donto and Taiko - 10pt
15. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 - 9pt
16. [PS3] Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Masou machine God F COFFIN OF THE END (Normal Edition) - 9pt
17. [XB1] Dead Rising 3 - 8pt
18. [PSV] hyperdimension action Neptune U (Normal Edition) - 8pt
19. [3DS] Medabots 8 Kabuto Ver. - 8pt
20. [WIU] Zelda Musou (Normal Edition) - 7pt

Comgnet at PS4 release week, for comparison: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102006803#post102006803

small44

Code:
16. [PS3] Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Masou machine God F COFFIN OF THE END (Normal Edition) - 9pt

Comgnet at PS4 release week, for comparison: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102006803#post102006803

I predicted that Titanfall is the only xb launch game to sold more then 10k first week,my prediction seem right

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Code:

When the majority of its launch lineup has been out for months, this was bound to happen.

Foshy

It gives us a very good idea combined with the other reports we got and Tsutaya rankings (when they come out), but I really wouldn't try going into detail of how much something sold.

Mory Dunz

Code:

MK8 needs a boost.

Which means Wii U needs a boost. Their sales seem to go hand in hand.

[Comgnet] Smash Bros 3DS

Sept 5 - 750
Sept 6 - 798 (+48)
Sept 7 - 854 (+56)

Five days left and heading to 1000 pre-order points!

any comparisons with other major 3DS games? (like Pokemon X/Y, MH4(G), whatever)

Name some major 3DS games and I'll give you any comparison you want.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS releases September 13th, 2014.

1 day = 9/12
2 days = 9/11
3 days = 9/10
4 days = 9/9
5 days = 9/8
6 days = 9/7 = 854pt
7 days = 9/6 = 798pt
8 days = 9/5 = 750pt
9 days = 9/4 = 726pt
10 days = 9/3 = 709pt

Monster Hunter 4 released September 14th, 2013.

1 day = 9/13 = 3872pt
2 days = 9/12 = 3766pt
3 days = 9/11 = 3673pt
4 days = 9/10 = 3582pt
5 days = 9/9 = 3495pt
6 days = 9/8 = 3411pt
7 days = 9/7 = 3274pt
8 days = 9/6 = 3184pt
9 days = 9/5 = 3143pt
10 days = 9/4 = 3089pt

1st Week sales = 1,875,115 (Famitsu)

Pokemon X / Y released October 12th, 2013:

1 day = 10/11 = 1085pt X, 1051pt Y
2 days = 10/10 = 1053pt X, 1012pt Y
3 days = 10/9 = 1023pt X, 996pt Y
4 days = 10/8 = 1004pt X, 973pt Y
5 days = 10/7 = 989pt X, 950pt Y
6 days = 10/6 = 968pt X, 926pt Y = 1894pt total
7 days = 10/5 = 930pt X, 894pt Y = 1824pt total
8 days = 10/4 = 893pt X, 867pt Y = 1760pt total
9 days = 10/3 = 875pt X, 857pt Y = 1732pt total
10 days = 10/2 = 857pt X, 846pt Y = 1703pt total

1st Week sales = 2,096,050 (Famitsu)

Mory Dunz

Name some major 3DS games and I'll give you any comparison you want.

1 day = 9/12
2 days = 9/11
3 days = 9/10
4 days = 9/9
5 days = 9/8
6 days = 9/7 = 854pt
7 days = 9/6 = 798pt
8 days = 9/5 = 750pt
9 days = 9/4 = 726pt
10 days = 9/3 = 709pt

Monster Hunter 4 released September 14th, 2013.

1 day = 9/13 = 3872pt
2 days = 9/12 = 3766pt
3 days = 9/11 = 3673pt
4 days = 9/10 = 3582pt
5 days = 9/9 = 3495pt
6 days = 9/8 = 3411pt
7 days = 9/7 = 3274pt
8 days = 9/6 = 3184pt
9 days = 9/5 = 3143pt
10 days = 9/4 = 3089pt

1st Week sales = 1,875,115 (Famitsu)

Pokemon X / Y released October 12th, 2013:

1 day = 10/11 = 1085pt X, 1051pt Y
2 days = 10/10 = 1053pt X, 1012pt Y
3 days = 10/9 = 1023pt X, 996pt Y
4 days = 10/8 = 1004pt X, 973pt Y
5 days = 10/7 = 989pt X, 950pt Y
6 days = 10/6 = 968pt X, 926pt Y = 1894pt total
7 days = 10/5 = 930pt X, 894pt Y = 1824pt total
8 days = 10/4 = 893pt X, 867pt Y = 1760pt total
9 days = 10/3 = 875pt X, 857pt Y = 1732pt total
10 days = 10/2 = 857pt X, 846pt Y = 1703pt total

1st Week sales = 2,096,050 (Famitsu)

Puzzles and Dragons Z?

It seems to be a closer comparison if I remember correctly.

Puzzles and Dragons Z?

It seems to be a closer comparison if I remember correctly.

1 day = 9/12
2 days = 9/11
3 days = 9/10
4 days = 9/9
5 days = 9/8
6 days = 9/7 = 854pt
7 days = 9/6 = 798pt
8 days = 9/5 = 750pt
9 days = 9/4 = 726pt
10 days = 9/3 = 709pt

Puzzles & Dragons Z released December 12th, 2013.

1 day = 12/11 = 836pt
2 days = 12/10 = 801pt
3 days = 12/9 = 742pt
4 days = 12/8 = 678pt
5 days = 12/7 = 635pt
6 days = 12/6 = 612pt
7 days = 12/5 = 593pt
8 days = 12/4 = 572pt
9 days = 12/3 = 559pt
10 days = 12/2 = 536pt

1st Week Sales: 534,782 (Famitsu)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate released December 10th. 2011

1 day = 12/9 = 971pt + 319pt
2 days = 12/8 = 953pt + 313pt
3 days = 12/7 = 938pt + 311pt
4 days = 12/6 = 914pt + 307pt
5 days = 12/5 = 900pt + 291pt
6 days = 12/4 = 878pt + 276pt = 1154pt total
7 days = 12/3 = 851pt + 267pt = 1118pt total
8 days = 12/2 = 828pt + 260pt = 1088pt total
9 dasy = 12/1 = NO DATA
9 days = 11/30 = 796pt + 232pt = 1028pt total

1st Week sales: 471,055 (Famitsu)

Also, final Super Smash Bros. Brawl preorders were 1211pt.

Takao

Banned
Capcom, your typos haven't been funny in a while:

vmo4qJS.png

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio_series/index.html

Mory Dunz

1 day = 9/12
2 days = 9/11
3 days = 9/10
4 days = 9/9
5 days = 9/8
6 days = 9/7 = 854pt
7 days = 9/6 = 798pt
8 days = 9/5 = 750pt
9 days = 9/4 = 726pt
10 days = 9/3 = 709pt

Puzzles & Dragons Z released December 12th, 2013.

1 day = 12/11 = 836pt
2 days = 12/10 = 801pt
3 days = 12/9 = 742pt
4 days = 12/8 = 678pt
5 days = 12/7 = 635pt
6 days = 12/6 = 612pt
7 days = 12/5 = 593pt
8 days = 12/4 = 572pt
9 days = 12/3 = 559pt
10 days = 12/2 = 536pt

1st Week Sales: 534,782 (Famitsu)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate released December 10th. 2011

1 day = 12/9 = 971pt + 319pt
2 days = 12/8 = 953pt + 313pt
3 days = 12/7 = 938pt + 311pt
4 days = 12/6 = 914pt + 307pt
5 days = 12/5 = 900pt + 291pt
6 days = 12/4 = 878pt + 276pt = 1154pt total
7 days = 12/3 = 851pt + 267pt = 1118pt total
8 days = 12/2 = 828pt + 260pt = 1088pt total
9 dasy = 12/1 = NO DATA
9 days = 11/30 = 796pt + 232pt = 1028pt total

1st Week sales: 471,055 (Famitsu)

Also, final Super Smash Bros. Brawl preorders were 1211pt.
Thank you.
I guess I'll predit 900K fw.

Capcom, your typos haven't been funny in a while:

vmo4qJS.png

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio_series/index.html

What's wrong with it. Is the game called Relevations?
EDIT:
nvm

Top Bottom