• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

sense

It's also remarkable in Atlus' case because they had to go through a bunch of stuff like developing their own engine, Index blowing up, the Sega acquisition, Persona 4: Dancing All Night's original developers being put aside, etc. Hashino's mentioned in recent interviews that there were times when the team was uncertain and that it got to the point where they were scared P5 might never even come out, but it all worked out, in the end.

it is kinda crazy that it has been about 8 years since the last mainline entry. This probably should be getting the same reception as games like last guardian and ffxv but the multiple re releases and spin offs probably helped avoid that perception and also it probably helped they didn't announce the game officially a long time ago.

Vena

it is kinda crazy that it has been about 8 years since the last mainline entry. This probably should be getting the same reception as games like last guardian and ffxv but the multiple re releases and spin offs probably helped avoid that perception and also it probably helped they didn't announce the game officially a long time ago.

Extended media helped as well, and the fandom kept it a point of discussion (and Portable and Golden really took off stateside, keeping the conversation alive). Unlike the two you mentioned, the series as a whole didn't vanish off of the face of the earth or get buried under an avalanche of badly received sequels.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That would be pretty bad. WoFF is internally developed right?

To my knowledge, yes, though it's not impossible there's a shadow developer they haven't mentioned yet.

Berserk screamed bomb from the moment it was announced. Second failed collaboration in a row and this time it will be worse.

Just like numbers of Attack on Titan willl look high for Berserk Final Fantasy Explorers numbers will look high for World of Final Fantasy.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I saw people expressing optimism about Berserk.

The manga is very adults-only, and it's a notably old franchise that's only started getting some push again recently.

If something as hot as Attack on Titan is struggling, Berserk didn't seem like the IP to break the mold here.

Vena

If something as hot as Attack on Titan is struggling, Berserk didn't seem like the IP to break the mold here.

Seems more of a "try everything popular, or at some point popular" approach. They've exhausted a very large swathe of manga/anime IP to work with at this point and so now we're moving backwards to older, once popular series.

duckroll

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I saw people expressing optimism about Berserk.

The manga is very adults-only, and it's a notably old franchise that's only started getting some push again recently.

It's interesting that the Musou franchise at large crashed so hard so quickly though. Just a few years ago, we saw how strong the brand could be with similar releases - Fist of the North Star for the older adults franchise, and One Piece for the hottest mainstream franchise. I feel that AoT and Berserk were clearly intended to recapture that sort of success again, but they really fell flat on their faces instead.

Berserk is probably lot more aimed at west where IP has cult status and similarly to Hyrule Warriors can be used to introduce new people to Musou.

Plus I wonder how much those games cost to make where they reuse so many parts.

Shizuka

I don't necessarily agree that Attack on Titan should be included in these Musou speculations, since the game isn't anything remotely similar to any Musou game out there. I feel like it's usually included just because it was developed by Omega Force, and in that case, Toukiden would be a lot more "Musou" than Attack on Titan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's interesting that the Musou franchise at large crashed so hard so quickly though. Just a few years ago, we saw how strong the brand could be with similar releases - Fist of the North Star for the older adults franchise, and One Piece for the hottest mainstream franchise. I feel that AoT and Berserk were clearly intended to recapture that sort of success again, but they really fell flat on their faces instead.
I wonder if there's an extent to which those games did them in despite their success.

A ton of people bought them, but maybe many of them ended up not liking the games, or decided that they'd had enough of the formula despite having previously taken a break from the series, and didn't want to buy more games in this format going forward.

Didn't Fist of the North Star in particular have notably bad reception?

Berserk is probably lot more aimed at west where IP has cult status and similarly to Hyrule Warriors can be used to introduce new people to Musou.

Plus I wonder how much those games cost to make where they reuse so many parts.
They did announce it at E3, so I imagine there was a consideration there, but it's worth keeping in mind that the West hasn't been a hot market for these types of games outside of Hyrule Warriors for a long time, and you have to consider how many people who want a Berserk game would actually want it in the Warriors style instead of just going out and buying Dark Souls.

If Berserk was a game with the quality, gameplay style, and presentation of Nioh, then they'd be way more on target for actually succeeding overseas instead of getting maybe a minor bump.

Oregano

To my knowledge, yes, though it's not impossible there's a shadow developer they haven't mentioned yet.

IIRC we only found out Silicon Studio was developing Bravely Default when they released the demo so that's plausible.

I don't necessarily agree that Attack on Titan should be included in these Musou speculations, since the game isn't anything remotely similar to any Musou game out there. I feel like it's usually included just because it was developed by Omega Force, and in that case, Toukiden would be a lot more "Musou" than Attack on Titan.

I haven't played AOT but after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look it was readily apparent what its roots were. The whole gameplay/mission structure is textbook Musou.

To be fair though my Musou experience is limited to Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Warriors Orochi 3, Hyrule Warriors and Mystic Heroes(if that counts).

I wonder if there's an extent to which those games did them in despite their success.

A ton of people bought them, but maybe many of them ended up not liking the games, or decided that they'd had enough of the formula despite having previously taken a break from the series, and didn't want to buy more games in this format going forward.

Didn't Fist of the North Star in particular have notably bad reception?

They did announce it at E3, so I imagine there was a consideration there, but it's worth keeping in mind that the West hasn't been a hot market for these types of games outside of Hyrule Warriors for a long time, and you have to consider how many people who want a Berserk game would actually want it in the Warriors style instead of just going out and buying Dark Souls.

If Berserk was a game with the quality, gameplay style, and presentation of Nioh, then they'd be way more on target for actually succeeding overseas instead of getting maybe a minor bump.

That's pretty much the fundamental problem with this wide movement to look westward. A lot of Japanese games are just not a great fit from a conceptual standpoint and that's before taking into account budget expectations.

Sterok

So what sort of IP should Musou be targeting next? I know the correct answer is make better games, but I think our speculation should remain in the realm of plausibility.

Fdkn

So what sort of IP should Musou be targeting next? I know the correct answer is make better games, but I think our speculation should remain in the realm of plausibility.

Final Fantasy is the wild card

there's nothing after that.

It's not a matter of IP imho but over saturation. How many full priced copies of musou can can one customer buy per year ?

And those are long games where you can spend 100+ hours which makes finishing them even harder.

Rymuth

I've been screaming 'Fire Emblem' since Awakening put the IP back on the map.

horuhe

Do we have any indication how much Persona 5 shipped on day-one?

It should be around 330k according expectations, but maybe a little bit more since it was restocked last weekend.

So I guess we can expect a <400k shipment for P5? Unless they restocked significantly over the weekend?

Much less, even <350k. The weekend shipment was relatively low, between 10k and 20k. Almost only the PS4 version should have been restocked, and PS3 version barely anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
God Eater 3 doesn't sound like it's especially far along in development: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/god-eater-new-project-staff-discuss-reveal-reaction

Gematsu said:
Famitsu: Is the trailer running in real time?

Yoshimura: &#8220;I&#8217;d like you to you to guess based off the fact that it says, &#8216;Footage shown is under development.&#8217; Of course, that doesn&#8217;t mean that the product looks just like that, it&#8217;s just the current state.&#8221;

Tomizawa: &#8220;We still haven&#8217;t specified the platform. We put together the things we have currently under development.&#8221;

Famitsu: What&#8217;s the current state of development?

Tomizawa: &#8220;In the project&#8217;s current phase, we&#8217;re solidifying the game&#8217;s direction. After that, we&#8217;ll go into the sort of stage where we decide how to apply things like technology and graphics.&#8221;

&#332;kami;217301760 said:
A little month before release and there are no SKUs of neither World of Final Fantasy or Berserk on the comgnet charts, despite it having 4 SKUs of the new Sword Art Online that's relasing the same day.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why Square's sending World of Final Fantasy out to die in the shadow of FF XV. It seems like a celebration of everything Final Fantasy with a ton of heart, the kind of thing they'd want to make sure has the FF audience's attention.

Instead they seem to be positioning it as the kid-friendly holiday alternative to FF XV, but not on 3DS, the kid system.

L~A

So, River City Ransom SP (3DS) finally has a release date: October 27th.

It also has a new price:

- retail: 3 780 Yen (instead of 4 860 Yen)
- digital: 3 500 Yen (instead of 4 500 Yen)

Wondering where's the catch? Well... no more local co-op for Story Mode. I guess that mode is the reason the game was delayed twice.

http://kuniokun.jp/monogatari/news/#bn160920

Oregano

God Eater 3 doesn't sound like it's especially far along in development: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/god-eater-new-project-staff-discuss-reveal-reaction

Well depending on when it comes out skipping Vita might make more sense then. I can't see the brand not crashing on home consoles though, but I guess it's inevitable.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why Square's sending World of Final Fantasy out to die in the shadow of FF XV. It seems like a celebration of everything Final Fantasy with a ton of heart, the kind of thing they'd want to make sure has the FF audience's attention.

Instead they seem to be positioning it as the kid-friendly holiday alternative to FF XV, but not on 3DS, the kid system.

Between WoFF, DQ Builders and Fortune Street it would appear SE thinks there's a big family audience on Playstation. I wonder if those games prompted Sony to talk about aiming at a younger audience or vice versa though.

Guymelef

So BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Asia uploaded this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq3s1-0AXs

XBOX ONE&#12302;FINAL FANTASY XV&#12303;2016 TGS &#53944;&#47112;&#51068;&#47084;

5DoYZFB.png

So weird.

Maybe S-E doesn't have own distribution channel for Asia market?

MHS will be fun to follow.

Weak debut and strong legs?

It all depends on the game's quality. The anime might help too?

Ugh I'm nervous.

Ōkami

So, what's so special about the Persona 5 20th Anniversary PS Store Special Edition?

Seems like everybody that went digital went for it, regular version is not on the rankings from last week.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MHS will be fun to follow.

Weak debut and strong legs?

It all depends on the game's quality. The anime might help too?

Ugh I'm nervous.

It's looking like weak debut and no legs considering what genre it is in. Maybe people will dig the anime or the game will get a rabid word of mouth behind it.

Bebpo

Banned
That's not a very good reason. In fact, in most cases, franchises which let too many years go by without another substantial new entry will experience decline from dwindling interest. The fact that Atlus managed to keep the Persona brand alive and expand it further without having a new entry of Persona for a whole console generation, says a lot.

Take Star Ocean for example. Compare how long it was between Star Ocean 4 and Star Ocean 5. What happened there? Bombaaaa.

Yeah, Atlus were very. very smart in keeping the IP alive throughout the entire development of P5 over eight years.

Here are all the Persona IP major releases that came out after P4 until P5:

-Persona 4 Anime
-Persona 3 Anime
-Persona Fighting Game #1
-Persona 4 Dancing All Night
-Persona Fighting Game #2
-Persona Q

Note that even the fighting games and dancing game had extensive story modes to cater to the Persona fans. That's a whole lot of well placed releases to keep the series alive, exciting and relevant until P5 came out so ensure that P5 would do well. Very smart. If P5 hadn't gotten delayed so much I'm sure some of those would have never existed (probably PQ) as they really feel like "keep the IP alive" filler.

Now just where the heck is Persona 3 Dancing All Night already? :( Maybe P5 needed to get delayed another year so we could've gotten that :p

duckroll

&#332;kami;217576436 said:
So, what's so special about the Persona 5 20th Anniversary PS Store Special Edition?

Seems like everybody that went digital went for it, regular version is not on the rankings from last week.

Persona 3 and 4 character costumes and avatars via DLC. Persona All Stars Soundtrack Collection. Exclusive dynamic theme and 2 avatars.

noobie

Banned
is this the week we will be getting PS 4 Slim sales numbers? have we got any retail impressions on how well it did?

I think in past, on launch of new console or some big game, number use to be given by Famitsu on Monday. Have they stopped this practice?

u_neek

is this the week we will be getting PS 4 Slim sales numbers? have we got any retail impressions on how well it did?

I think in past, on launch of new console or some big game, number use to be given by Famitsu on Monday. Have they stopped this practice?
We should be getting MC and Famitsu numbers today

mao2

Aquaplus announced that Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro has sold a total of 130K copies on PS4, PS3 and Vita.
http://aquaplus.jp/uta/oro/#special
&#26412;&#26085;&#12289;9&#26376;21&#26085;&#12395;&#30330;&#22770;&#12356;&#12383;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12302;&#12358;&#12383;&#12431;&#12428;&#12427;&#12418;&#12398; &#20108;&#20154;&#12398;&#30333;&#30343;&#12303;&#12391;&#12377;&#12364;&#12289;PlayStation®4&#12289;PlayStation®3&#12289;PlayStation®Vita&#12289;3&#27231;&#31278;&#12398;&#32047;&#35336;&#36009;&#22770;&#26412;&#25968;&#12364;13&#19975;&#26412;&#12434;&#36948;&#25104;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;&#12473;&#12479;&#12483;&#12501;&#19968;&#21516;&#12289;&#21402;&#12367;&#24481;&#31036;&#30003;&#12375;&#19978;&#12370;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;

Top Bottom