• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

I wanted to say that the first 20 Unreal Engine games that are announced don't have to be the same as the 20 mentioned in that interview (as a whole group), due to different development times, but then I realised that Japanese companies are slow at transitioning to new hardware and have terrible development pipelines.

That they dont do what?

Doesnt NPD get official digital numbers now from some publishers? If so, i wonder if the same will happen in Japan.

I enjoy reading the digital estimates as well, just to have mentioned that. My earlier comment was more about that there might be a chance that the estimates are noticeably off as well (but as mentioned, not something that we can check into).

That they dont provide a std deviation for there estimates. Compare it to something like steamspy where the site adds the +- on all their estimates. It just seems weird. If they are using a sampling method I dont see why you wouldn't idicate it.

I think eventually Japan will get official digital numbers. I imagine in the console space the numbers aren't high enough to really bother. In NA it can be really significant.

Reki

On the one hand, I think that would help the franchise quite a bit, and Namco has been investing more money in their series lately than they normally have been.

On the other hand, it's really not clear that Namco has any actual confidence in Tales to be willing to part with anything but the bare minimum budget.

Yeah, it's a little hard to determine. However...

But wouldn't using a pretty competent engine, compatible with lots of platforms (including the one you're planning to support moving forward) something you would do if you were super cheap with your budget? Especially since Bamco is already using it for other projects.

I agree with this, it would do more good than harm. The series needs better numbers and the PS4+Switch combo could improve them. Working with an already supported engine could facilitate the incorporation of the platform to the pipeline without being that expensive*.

* I think it was like 5%? of sales, not sure if big publishers negotiate different terms.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well i remember their digital estimates for splatoon on the wii u were noticably wrong

It happens and it happens with physical tracking too. I believe at one point Famitsu estimated more Gamecibes to be sold than Nintendo had even shipped.

edit- beaten
I wonder for how longer the misinformation of Famitsu wrong digital estimates for Splatoon will keep been recycled.

Media Create over tracked GameCube, not Famitsu.

Slim is cheaper.
I knew that however I was wondering if things like 4k adoption might play a part. I’m not sure what kind of tvs Japan buy, judging by Amazon.co.jp it does seem to be mostly 1080 and still some 720.
If you assume for a moment that graphics aren't the most important part of gaming, then it may appear that the price-value ratio isn't all that great for the Pro.
Cheaper, more availability, more bundles and flavors.
Yeah looking at the Japanese website, they have a ton of bundles.

My question seems dumb when I really think about it.

fortunato

Banned
Thats true, thats also why we see different numbers from all the sales trackers here, and sometimes the numbers can be noticeably different as well. Errors happend here as well, i think for example that Famitsu tracked more Gamecubes sold than Nintendo reported to have shipped.

But as you point out, theres a difference in the method collecting data, and that makes a difference. With physical sales, here its also possible to have some shipment numbers, so the publishers can do a more close estimate. Famitsu's estimates on digital sales however are based on some surveys (are there any exact info around the method?), with no other point of reference, as far as i know.

I'm not criticizing the numbers just to have mentioned that. All i wanted to say is that its more difficult to say how well represented the numbers are without any other point of reference.

Nowadays, publishers include digital sales in their shipment numbers so we have a better idea of how games performed in digital stores, and we can match them with Famitsu estimates.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, it's a little hard to determine. However...

I agree with this, it would do more good than harm. The series needs better numbers and the PS4+Switch combo could improve them. Working with an already supported engine could facilitate the incorporation of the platform to the pipeline without being that expensive*.

* I think it was like 5%? of sales, not sure if big publishers negotiate different terms.

But wouldn't using a pretty competent engine, compatible with lots of platforms (including the one you're planning to support moving forward) something you would do if you were super cheap with your budget? Especially since Bamco is already using it for other projects.
From a practical point of view, it's much cheaper to just pay Epic a million or two (publishers almost always do flat fee) and use their engine, since it's both much cheaper than making an engine inhouse (Frostbite takes 200+ internal dedicated employees), and is likely a much more efficienct development tool than anything a small team can make on top of new platform compatibility.

However, if you have an existing engine and want to spend absolutely zero dollars on improvement in a series that barely ever changes, there's an inertia cost in reimplementing your gameplay and retraining your staff instead of just completely starving the budget.

Like if you imagine the Tales budget as $8 million an entry, there's an argument to be has here in not switching if it costs you $10 million to make the game otherwise, assuming you have zero hopes or expectations for the product, and assume you have zero growth potential from releasing better products.

Datschge

I knew that however I was wondering if things like 4k adoption might play a part. I’m not sure what kind of tvs Japan buy, judging by Amazon.co.jp it does seem to be mostly 1080 and still some 720.
Adoption of TV screens per household is low in Japan period, let alone 4K. That's also a reason why mobile/portables dominate gaming there.

KtSlime

Adoption of TV screens per household is low in Japan period, let alone 4K. That's also a reason why mobile/portables dominate gaming there.

We have like 50 steaming services that are between 500 and 1000 yen a month, most of which offer the latest episodes for free. Really the only thing that makes me even think about getting a TV is a few NHK programs, but then again, I'd rather avoid it all together and not have to deal with the NHK.

Vena

Ōkami;250129593 said:
If I were to guess, given its position on the PSN charts, I'd say Marvel Infinite sold less than 1000 units digitally.

What is the retail for this going to be...

ggx2ac

Ōkami;250129593 said:
If I were to guess, given its position on the PSN charts, I'd say Marvel Infinite sold less than 1000 units digitally.

I was looking at the COMG and Rakuten charts again. I was thinking if we're going to get a repeat of the UK: USF2 beats MvCi FW sales.

Reposting what USF2 did via MC:

03./00. [NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990) - 16.404 / NEW

I was looking at the COMG and Rakuten charts again. I was thinking if we're going to get a repeat of the UK: USF2 beats MvCi FW sales.

03./00. [NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990) - 16.404 / NEW

signs-point-to-yes.jpg

ggx2ac

Nah it wont swoop so low. 40K for marvel is my guess

It's positioned lower than Dragon Quest X for Switch on the COMG and Rakuten charts.

I'm thinking Dragon Quest X for Switch isn't going to be much higher than 20k units sold so MvCi is probably somewhere below it.

It'd be an embarrassment if it's real

We have like 50 steaming services that are between 500 and 1000 yen a month, most of which offer the latest episodes for free. Really the only thing that makes me even think about getting a TV is a few NHK programs, but then again, I'd rather avoid it all together and not have to deal with the NHK.

So if you don’t mind me asking? (And any other Japanese members/living there) do you play console games? Or do you stick to handhelds/Switch?

I’m curious because I will be transferring to most like Kyoto next year for work.

Datschge

So if you don’t mind me asking? (And any other Japanese members/living there) do you play console games? Or do you stick to handhelds/Switch?
I'm the wrong one to ask as I don't live in Japan. But there are official numbers I previously posted:
US:
Number of households: ~125.82 mio (2016)
Sales of TVs: ~34.2 mio in 2015
-> a new TV in 2015 for every ~3.68th household

Japan:
Number of households: ~51.88 mio (2015)
Sales of TVs: ~5,44 mio in 2015
-> a new TV in 2015 for every ~9.54th household

I don't think the game can bomb THAT hard.

Should be somewhere between 20-30k. A bomba but not a North Korean one.

ggx2ac

I don't think the game can bomb THAT hard.

Should be somewhere between 20-30k. A bomba but not a North Korean one.

Either way, unless the US is covering 2 million sales for Capcom this is going to be a huge bomb for Capcom's sales forecast because they only listed two major titles they predicted would be million sellers, MvCi and MHW while forecasting they would make 10.3 million sales on new titles.

Fukuzatsu

I’m curious because I will be transferring to most like Kyoto next year for work.

I live out in Kyushu, and own a PS3, PS4, (Direct)Xbox, Vita, 3DS, and Switch. I have a 1080p Toshiba TV at home, and play all consoles, including Switch, on that. I've very occasionally brought the Vita outside to play things like Puyo Tetris or Flying Power Disc/Windjammers on train rides, but otherwise game exclusively at home.

Regarding the Switch, the form factor just doesn't feel good for any use I've come to associate with 'handheld' play outside. The system is very wide with the joycons on, the battery life isn't great, and unless I'm on an airplane ride 'setup' with joycons or external batteries or whatever isn't realistic.

That and many games I like on the system aren't good for outside play to begin with. Splatoon requires internet, I don't enjoy BotW in short bursts, and something like Xenoblade is going to have the same issue.

So, if you consistently have very long train or plane rides (with a seat), then maybe the handheld outdoor experience starts to get value, but otherwise I can't see the viability.

So, how badly does MVCI hurt Capcom financially? Is this devastating or can they withstand a few more bombas just fine?

there has been a pretty negative vibe around Capcom and fans recently, I can't pinpoint the one sin that caused this but I am not sure they are in trouble financially they do love to milk ports so there must be something selling enough to offset anything that bombs

KtSlime

So if you don't mind me asking? (And any other Japanese members/living there) do you play console games? Or do you stick to handhelds/Switch?

I'm curious because I will be transferring to most like Kyoto next year for work.

I don't mind. I have a Switch and 3DS (PSP too, but it hasn't seen much use recently), and I also get a few 'console' like games on Steam to play on my computer. And like pretty much everyone else here, I play smartphone games on the train.

Edit: forgot to mention where I live, I live in Tokyo.

ggx2ac

So, how badly does MVCI hurt Capcom financially? Is this devastating or can they withstand a few more bombas just fine?

We wouldn't really know until the end of the financial year (March 2018).

For example, Capcom's major titles last FY Resident Evil 7 and Dead Rising 4 failed to meet their sales forecasts but, Capcom still beat their sales forecasts for new titles which included the above because they were lucky that their re-releases of Resident Evil titles performed better than they expected.

But that's just sales numbers not sales revenue, it's easier finding out if they have an operating loss for their Digital Contents division at the end of the financial year. (Technically the results would release at the end of April)

Of course, we'll get to find out their operating income and net sales for the next quarter at the end of October.

Damn, 18 Switch games listed for release this week on the eShop:

– Golf Story
– Picross S
– Sine Mora EX
– FIFA 18
– Deemo
– One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition
– Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
– Conga Master Party!
– Sparkle 2
– Physical Contact: Picture Place
– Butcher (previously listed for Europe, now North America as well)
– Inversus Deluxe
– Astro Bears Party
– Brave Dungeon + Dark Witch Story: Combat
– Earth Atlantis
– Pankapu
– Binaries
– Tower Of Babel

http://nintendoeverything.com/18-sw...rth-atlantis-pankapu-binaries-tower-of-babel/

ggx2ac

Damn, 18 Switch games listed for release this week on the eShop:

http://nintendoeverything.com/18-sw...rth-atlantis-pankapu-binaries-tower-of-babel/

Not really surprised about it since we're heading to the holidays where the number of new titles released will be much higher than other periods of the year.

The only question is when will Nintendo improve their eShop to deal with this. They still lack a tab for games that will be on sale (discount) and the funny thing is that those 18 games aren't fitting on the front page of the eShop so the problem is whether people are aware that 18 new games have released so that they'll scroll down the page.

Fukuzatsu

I don't mind. I have a Switch and 3DS (PSP too, but it hasn't seen much use recently), and I also get a few 'console' like games on Steam to play on my computer. And like pretty much everyone else here, I play smartphone games on the train.

Edit: forgot to mention where I live, I live in Tokyo.

I have to imagine it's a little different out in Tokyo but have you ever actually seen a Switch out in a human's hands? I've seen Vitas, 3DSes, and sometimes even DSes, but basically no Switches.

casiopao

MH:W is going to save Capcom baby. It is going to sale 10 million WW.;_;

Well, even if they hurt badly and end up dieing, Tencent can still swoop in to save them lol. That LoL and AoV money is crazy.

Eliseo

Well, even if they hurt badly and end up dieing, Tencent can still swoop in to save them lol. That LoL and AoV money is crazy.

Speaking of them, I wonder what other titles will they bring in to the Switch.

I wonder if MvC:I will be the biggest bomb of the year so far relative to expectations.

It doesn't seem like it's faring well in any region.

Aters

Tencent is a greedy company, not a stupid one. If Capcom is to fail, Tencent will not save it.

casiopao

Speaking of them, I wonder what other titles will they bring in to the Switch.

I dont think there is any other more lol. Except maybe LoL i guess?

Tencent is a greedy company, not a stupid one. If Capcom is to fail, Tencent will not save it.

Greedy would mean they are much savvy in managing business than Capcom for sure.

And i think Tencent would find Capcom plethora of IP's to be good enough to bring them even more money lol.

jman2050

I have a really bad feeling about MHW in general. Like it’ll be the straw (or haystack I suppose) that breaks the camel’s back.

KtSlime

I have to imagine it's a little different out in Tokyo but have you ever actually seen a Switch out in a human's hands? I've seen Vitas, 3DSes, and sometimes even DSes, but basically no Switches.

Aside from my own, the only Switches I have seen are the ones sold on launch day, and one that I saw get sold to a pre-teen at my nearby Geo. I decided to not got to TGS this year, because I hate the long trip to Makuhari, but I imagine if I did I would have seen some there.

It's pretty much all smartphones on the train now though. If I go to Ikebukuro I know I will see tons of people with 3DSes there, but on the train, I see one maybe once a week.

Top Bottom