• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

Not to mention that we are talking about the same company that wanted to release Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U in the console's "launch window". I'll be amazed if Mario Kart will really see the light of day in Early 2014.

Yep, I'm expecting DKCR and Bayonetta 2 to be the only Wii U titles in Q1 and B2 might not even make it til Q2. There's a possibility DKCR is the only game that breaks 50k in Q1 next year. Wii U looks god awful next year. A completely barren release list even with NIntendo games is not a good lineup.

In the world where these are pretty much the only Wii U titles hitting in that timeframe.

If at all. People really think that one of the only ambitious looking WiiU titles (MK) actually will come out in time after that launch window disaster and now even the underwhelming DK being delayed? :lol

edit: beaten like Iwata should be

Yep, I'm expecting DKCR and Bayonetta 2 to be the only Wii U titles in Q1 and B2 might not even make it til Q2. Wii U looks god awful next year. A completely barren release list even with NIntendo games is not a good lineup.

no way will bayonetta 2 hit q1, q2 or q3 for that one methinks

The only thing that can happen now is

1) 3DW sells poorly/modestly *or*
2) 3DW sells a lot and reaffirms the idea that people buy Nintendo for Mario

Not to mention that we are talking about the same company that wanted to release Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U in the console's "launch window". I'll be amazed if Mario Kart will really see the light of day in Early 2014.
Mario Kart is relatively easier to develop than say something like SM3DW or DKCR so I don't doubt it'll come early next year.

zroid

Banned
Ugh, I hope LTTP2 does okay, or it could be the final nail in the coffin for the Zelda series in Japan.

Lol, there was something I read, don't remember where, about them aiming to hit 500k. But honestly speaking, it always sounded really unrealistic, and I doubt Falcom themselves seriously considered such a possibility, given how well ran the company seems to be in general.

Also, it'll probably drop. Especially since I'm sure the load times debacle probably hurt it a bit. Then again, the patch is dropping tomorrow, so who knows. Ao did 15k on its second week, I wouldn't say it's impossible for it to end up outselling the 194k total it did.
550k actually, lol. (PS3: 325k, PSV: 225k)

Maybe Falcom raised the target sales at last minute due to strong pre-orders? It shouldn't be a disappointment, unless they were expecting to hit 550k from the beginning, it's the first 3D game in the series after all. Who knows.

TheChaos0

Zelda already been thrown under the bus it seems.

Also, that Vita number in a week with a release selling 90K is rather troubling.
Basically it seems like end of life sales, where the installed base can support reasonable new release sales, but no one is really buying the system any more.

I think it's a combination of Monster Hunter and everyone waiting for new models to hit. There was always a positive response for Vita HW before MH4/new Vita models announcements.

Peff

Yep, I'm expecting DKCR and Bayonetta 2 to be the only Wii U titles in Q1 and B2 might not even make it til Q2. There's a possibility DKCR is the only game that breaks 50k in Q1 next year. Wii U looks god awful next year. A completely barren release list even with NIntendo games is not a good lineup.

I think we can all agree that Smash will be the big Q4 2014 title, but I'm not so sure about Bayonetta coming out before that, to be honest. The January Direct had the wireframe stuff, so It kinda feels like they hadn't really started to work on it by then. Not that it'll make much of a dent regardless of the release date, sadly, but still.

Zalman

Wii U looks god awful next year. A completely barren release list even with NIntendo games is not a good lineup.
Donkey Kong, X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, Yarn Yoshi. That's 7 games published by Nintendo, and the year isn't even here yet. I agree not all of them will be successful commercially, but I don't see how you can call it a "barren" lineup already.

Donkey Kong, X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, Yarn Yoshi. That's 7 games published by Nintendo, and the year isn't even here yet. I agree not all of them will be successful commercially, but I don't see how you can call it a "barren" lineup already.

The lineup is barren in terms of sheer quantity. There just isn't enough content for Wii U.

Bomba Waker sales make me sad. It's even more sad that it was outsold by a game called 'My little sister can't be this cute. Happy End'.
Seriously, wth is that? Incest simulator?

Considering that the very first game you mention already is a delayed game again, you might wanna rethink hoping for a 2014 release date for titles like FExSMT or Yarn Yoshi that barely just entered development recently.
Be grateful if Smash makes christmas. The WiiU is lost basically, due to poor management Nintendo's teams not gonna get a good grip on HD development soon, now it's more clear than ever. Just gotta hope that the next console will be better thought out...

Without a smiidge of 3rd party support it is barren. And good luck getting many more games than that announced for next year.

No matter how you feel about the Wind Waker as a game itself, I think it is clear from a sales perspective that it was the wrong title to remake from the Zelda series.

Nintendo should have remade Twilight Princess.

Personally, Nintendo could have gone a lot further to fix the problems with the game in the remake. They only alleviated some of the issues, but the issues are still there. I think those issues held back the remake.

The_Lump

Banned
I don't see why anyone was expecting WWHD to sell better than that.

I mean I'm sure Nintendo were, but realistically its not going to push consoles or sell great.

duckroll

I totally expected Wind Waker HD to crash and burn. Like I said before, Zelda simply isn't popular on consoles anymore in Japan, and on a struggling system like the WiiU no one is going to care about a re-release like this. The popularity of the Zelda series in Japan these days is entirely on portables.

Blue-kun

550k actually, lol. (PS3: 325k, PSV: 225k)

Maybe Falcom raised the target sales at last minute due to strong pre-orders? It shouldn't be a disappointment, unless they were expecting to hit 550k from the beginning, it's the first 3D game in the series after all. Who knows.

They shouldn't be. Even if it had doubled over Ao's, which would already be incredibly amazing/unrealistic, 550k is a really dumb number, so to speak. And the thing with Kiseki is that it's a bit of a double-edged sword -- this is the sixth installment in the series, and as much as Falcom claims you can 'start now', in the end you'll still be missing out. So while some people certainly 'get' into the series through the new game, I imagine they're not not quite same amount of people that would jump on a new Tales game, that has little to no relation to past entries in the series.

On the other hand, though, I'm sure that every new fan that started on Zero/Sen inevitably ended up purchasing Sora and whatever other titles they missed, lol. So it must pay off, kinda. It's good for increasing their overall awareness towards their audience, and Kiseki seems like it's becoming a REALLY strong brand. Nayuta was basically 'Zwei 3' with a Kiseki name and even then it outsold every Ys game released by them on PSP/Vita.

Oh, also, it's funny seeing that Vita basically outsold PS3 on its first week, which they didn't seem to expect. Although I guess if the game shows some legs, this might eventually turn around considering the larger install base PS3 has, but yeah.

wrowa

No matter how you feel about the Wind Waker as a game itself, I think it is clear from a sales perspective that it was the wrong title to remake from the Zelda series.

Nintendo should have remade Twilight Princess.

They remade Wind Waker because it's a natural beauty that just needed relatively easy enhancements to look great again (well, it never looked bad to begin with). Twilight Princess is an ugly beast that would have needed a ton of work to become good-looking again -- and since having a quick release is the entire point of the HD remake, this wasn't really an option.

It wouldn't have helped Japanese sales, anyway. Wind Waker is the more popular game after all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think people are getting the wrong idea because WW was the worst selling Zelda world-wide, not Japan?

Wind Waker isn't called Majora's Mask, is it? Or Skyward Sword for that matter.

Gonff

Banned
This is the first Zelda available digital day 1. If it even has 6k digital sales it is not the "worst opening Zelda game". Can anyone comment on its place on the eShop charts (I obviously can't, as I'm not in Japan).

They remade Wind Waker because it's a natural beauty that just needed relatively easy enhancements to look great again (well, it never looked bad to begin with). Twilight Princess is an ugly beast that would have needed a ton of work to become good-looking again -- and since having a quick release is the entire point of the HD remake, this wasn't really an option.

Like any competent development house, Nintendo should have hi resolution textures and polygon models back when developing Twilight Princess. Development houses typically scale down assets from super hi resolution to meet target specs, rather then create textures and models at target specs.

I would assume that Nintendo does the same, considering all the high resolution artwork they have for games (this is true even for their handheld games). I don't think remaking Twilight Princess in HD is as hard as you think.

Also, Twilight Princess was a launch game. Userbase comes into play here limited it's sales potential.

Here is why Zelda and Wii U bombed:

jpKkZQh0hIa2J.png

duckroll

They should have remade all 3 recent Zelda games and sold it as a collection, like any other decent publisher.

Honestly, even if they did that, I don't think it would change the sales much. The reality is that Japanese gamers are no longer interested in playing Zelda games on consoles.

wrowa

And of that list, Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Donkey Kong are the only big games. That's really not much. At all.

I'd like to believe that Nintendo will announce half a dozen additional game for next year, many of them big hitters, but then again: How many Wii U games did Nintendo release this year that weren't announced last year at this time? Wind Waker HD, Mario World and Wii Sports Club are the only ones I can think of right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Let's see what Wii U bundles and Mario 3D World can do to help hardware sales in nov/dec.

I think the impact from Mario is relatively predictable and will be pretty modest.

The bundles are a wildcard. I dunno. It really is a great value, but the casual software hitting at that time is almost all digital, so unless Nintendo unleashes a massive ad campaign I'm skeptical most consumers will even know about it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Would someone make a list (maybe on a chalkboard even) of what Japanese gamers actually want (outside of Pokemon and monhun) because 'good games' is obviously too broad and all encompassing of a term.

Mileena

Banned
They should have remade all 3 recent Zelda games and sold it as a collection, like any other decent publisher.
As someone who hasn't played a Zelda since WW (first time around) I'd love and buy this. TP looks awesome and I'd love to try SS without those terrible controls.

The Wii U still has a few shots left but if it isn't "revived" after Mario Kart 8 it's obvious where the Japan-focused Nintendo will go next generation.

Pooya

Armored Core V sold well then, I guess people didn't like it very much...
That can't be very good for Princess Arcadia game either.

Top Bottom