• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

I'm in the exact same boat. I imported a physical copy of the game from Japan, played it, and got the same experience as you. It's very boring, and I really can't stand the visuals and depressing grey and white areas of the game. I think I managed to play 3 hours or so in total. I never touched it again, and I don't think I ever will.

I think Lost Sphear demo I played on Gamescom had a better visual style with a lot more color variations. I liked it a lot better. The gameplay still was tiresome.
heh,I’m not interested in LS like at all lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm guessing you mean "weak for mainstream JRPG's" rather than weak for good JRPG's when you say "high quality releases".

Because when the discussion is about I am Setsuna, I'd say there is a tonne of better stuff on the platform; just a lot of it isn't going to appeal to the masses.

But then again, neither did I am Setsuna lol.
No I mean both. Vita is disappointing for JRPGs in all aspects.

I dunno but there are rumblings of a Layton anime series and new Layton game for Spring 2018. Wonder if that'll pan out.
Summer 2018.
It's clear that the story+puzzle structure of Lady Layton is changed in order to make the series fit better on mobile. The puzzles themselves aren't as good as they used to be too. I guess the direct cause of that problem is the death of the original puzzle master.

heh,I’m not interested in LS like at all lol
It looks like a better game. I'm still not gonna buy it tho

Summer 2018.
It's clear that the story+puzzle structure of Lady Layton is changed in order to make the series fit better on mobile. The puzzles themselves aren't as good as they used to be too. I guess the direct cause of that problem is the death of the original puzzle master.

It looks like a better game. I'm still not gonna buy it tho
They should hire the guy that writes detective Conan to design the puzzles

They should hire the guy that writes detective Conan to design the puzzles
Conan's episodes are a whole different kind of thing. They also have a different goal (unmasking the culprit), while the Layton puzzles are logical or mathematical problems that the player needs to solve. Totally different things.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Tsutaya ranking: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980)
02./00. [PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.10.05} (¥3.990)
03./02. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800)
04./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
05./01. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800)
06./05. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980)
07./00. [PS4] Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2017.10.05} (¥7.980)
08./10. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
09./03. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800)
10./08. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami) {2017.09.14} (¥7.600)
11./04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥6.800)
12./00. [PSV] Tokyo Clanpool <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2017.10.05} (¥6.800)
13./09. [NSW] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥5.800)
14./15. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800)
15./17. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
16./14. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800)
17./13. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980)
18./11. [PS4] Destiny 2 <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.06} (¥7.900)
19./00. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} (¥6.800)
20./20. [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.31} (¥5.900)

Top 20

NSW - 8
PS4 - 7
3DS - 4
PSV - 1

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Whatever damage Bandai did to Xenoverse 2 for Switch was the announcement of next entry missing the system. A late re-release of the same game on PS4 wouldn't affect sales much.

Fisico

I had hard thinking 10 quality rpg on vita lol. Especially when Persona is my bane of existence.

Vita is no rpg heaven but that's a bit of an overstatement.
Or maybe if you begin to have some weird criteria like not released outside Japan, no multiplatform, not the games I don't like etc.

10 is no small number either, it's not like I could think of 10 good rpg there either :p

casiopao

Vita is no rpg heaven but that's a bit of an overstatement.
Or maybe if you begin to have some weird criteria like not released outside Japan, no multiplatform, not the games I don't like etc.

10 is no small number either, it's not like I could think of 10 good rpg there either :p

Ahhh. Probably the case of exclusive in my mind lol. But i do really had hard time thinking ten top quality jrpg for me here.

YsVIII,Persona 4,Souls Sacrafice Delta,Disgaea4,SnK1+2,FFX,odin sphere,child of light,Tokyo Xanadu

Too much Falcom flavour for me lol. But it seems that there is indeed at least 10 good jrpg for Vita.

Do you consider Atelier quality RPGs? If so there's 10 right off the bat.

Their quality had been keep droping since mana khemia era so nope lol.^_^

Aters

Ahhh. Probably the case of exclusive in my mind lol. But i do really had hard time thinking ten top quality jrpg for me here.

Peope certainly have different definition of "top quality". For me it's hard to think of top quality games on Vita, let alone RPGs.

I wonder if bringing expensive 3DS/portable games to mobile has been working.
These games are very expensive for mobile games while being like half the price of the 3DS release.
Wonder if the mobile audience is buying into them

Oregano

I wonder if bringing expensive 3DS/portable games to mobile has been working.
These games are very expensive for mobile games while being like half the price of the 3DS release.
Wonder if the mobile audience is buying into them

Considering how relatively poorly Super Mario Run did I would assume they have been tepid at best, but that probably applies to their 3DS sales too.

Vinnk

Tokyo RPG Factory is a sham. They started the studio with the intent of making oldschool JRPGs for old fans. What they ended up doing was assembling an inexperienced studio developing RPGMaker-like titles which aren't appealing to anybody. The problem is not production values or the sale price of the titles. The problem is that they are making games which have no real selling point or unique selling points.

The word "factory" is the big take from their company name. I feel like they are just churning out these similar mediocre (not necessarily bad) RPG games that as far as I can tell, no one is asking for.

Now Octopath (from the demo at least), THAT game is scratching an itch that some old school RPG fans have been having. But it also presents something unique in the visual style. I think that is the type of game TRPGF should be going for.

I bought I am Setsuna and while I don't consider it a bad game, it did nothing compelling for me visually, mechanically or story wise (I never finished it so perhaps it gets a lot better later on, but it didn't capture my attention). I have played better RPGs for lower prices.

Fukuzatsu

Too much Falcom flavour for me lol. But it seems that there is indeed at least 10 good jrpg for Vita.

I mean at the end of the day it depends what you think of as a quality RPG--there's also Caligula, Mind-Zero, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Phantasy Star Nova, The Lost Child. All of these I would categorise as at least "not terrible".

I mean at the end of the day it depends what you think of as a quality RPG--there's also Caligula, Mind-Zero, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Phantasy Star Nova, The Lost Child. All of these I would categorise as at least "not terrible".
Eh, there are at least 15 RPGs I would rank above those you just mentioned, except maybe Digimon which is a solid game. Those titles you just mentioned aren't bad, but they aren't close to the best Vita has to offer

I might have missed the part of the thread with lottery info, but why so low of a predeiction for Switch? That would be a Huge drop.
Oh I’m just basing it off the lack of lotteries that Chris usually reports.
Apparently they had little to no lotteries so the drop may be severe. Software I feel will stay consistent or up due to no game bundles currently

_Dog_

Neo Member
Considering how relatively poorly Super Mario Run did I would assume they have been tepid at best, but that probably applies to their 3DS sales too.

How is 150 million downloads "relatively poor"? That's nothing to scoff at, even with a small percentage purchasing the full game.

How is 150 million downloads "relatively poor"? That's nothing to scoff at, even with a small percentage purchasing the full game.
it’s like saying the new Minna No Golf is a success just because it has lots of downloads.But Super Mario Run didn’t do poorly either,it did good but not a global success like everyone expected it to be

Fisico

it’s like saying the new Minna No Golf is a success just because it has lots of downloads.But Super Mario Run didn’t do poorly either,it did good but not a global success like everyone expected it to be

Who is everyone?

The premium app business model doesn't work, I think you will have a hard time to see anyone who believed the opposite, Nintendo tried to force it this way but got middling results and will not try again, as expected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The premium app model only works if you have a very small team and are hoping for notably modest results, like a board game team or the people who make Monument Valley would.

This also applies to ports like Telltale games where mobile is one of seven platforms ported to.

This isn’t really an appropriate model for big companies unless you have some very unusual business objectives, which I don’t think Nintendo does. It’s not like they’re Square Enix and making a play for the Indian market, and a game like Super Mario Run actually results in negative customer experiences around your brand, not positive ones.

Top Bottom