• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2011 (Oct 03 - Oct 09)

test_account said:
It actually made it to 550k :) But i think one reason for this was due to the pricedrops. That didnt hurt the sales at least. I also remember that one store was giving it away (i think, or selling it really cheap at least) if you bought 5 used DS games hehe.
Thats pretty good numbers, maybe the PS3 version might not outsell it afterall.

Busaiku

BishopLamont said:
I'd be surprised if Ni No Kuni PS3 didn't outsell the DS version at the very least. It was around 350k IIRC?
Why would it be surprising?
Besides Tales of Xillia and Final Fantasy XIII, no PS3 RPG comes close to its LTD.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Thats pretty good numbers, maybe the PS3 version might not outsell it afterall.
Yep, definitely a quite respectable number. I agree, if the PS3 version is a good critical recieved game, i can see it doing around 400k-600k.

walking fiend said:
DQX, you mean? 2012, not this year! And it is too soon to say if DQX will do large numbers.

Sorry for the typo, I was writing in a rush without checking and my internal RAM played a trick on me - still plenty of time before they catch up actually - of course I meant Dragon quest X.

If it so, the Wii could still perform well since Mario bros Wii, Mario kart and Wii sports have long legs, but the only game that can affect heavily Wii sales is Dragon quest X methinks, Rhythm heaven performed beyond expectations.

Ah, is Fortuna street out already?
It could do well - Mario and Dragon quest franchises in the same game... - I'll give you that.

Busaiku said:
Besides Tales of Xillia and Final Fantasy XIII, no PS3 RPG comes close to its LTD.
Xillia did pretty well despite its front loaded nature, I thought Ni No only did 350k, looking back even I had higher expectations for it but that 550k is pretty good. It should leg it out to that same ballpark, won't be much higher or lower.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Maybe this was posted before and I couldn't find it (again).

Famitsu has Fatal Frame for Wii with TBD release date.

watershed

Banned
Interesting to see the 3ds top the hardware charts but not have a single game in the top 10. I guess lots of new owners are just happy messing with all the built in features and whatevers still free/cheap on the eshop while they wait for the big games to drop.

BurntPork

Banned
fernoca said:
Monster Hunter X instead Dragon Quest X is big typo. :p

But guys!!.. maybe the 3DS will go down considerably next week!! You'll see!!
Actually, with the pink one coming out next week, sales going down this week is possible.

It doesn't matter, though, because Nintendo will still laugh all the way to bank when all is said and done.

LOCK

I wonder how good Just Dance will do, can't wait for those numbers.

Also, I wonder how close to 3 million units sold will the 3DS reach before December. With the Pink 3DS, White 3DS, Mario, Slime, smaller titles, and MH along with MK7 hype, it should get pretty close....

Other than next weeks numbers, I have a feeling the 3DS will (can) best the DS's 2005 numbers for the rest of the year. Records here we come!

Also, since the market is down substantially in software and hardware, for those that are actually in Japan, is there signs that the market will explode this holiday? I know the earthquake had a negative affect overall, plus the lack of key titles earlier in the year has softened demand, and when you compound these problems with expensive hardware, it is no wonder why the market would be negative. But with the earthquake recovery ongoing, holiday titles for some of the best selling franchises in the history of this market, and lower hardware prices, the market should be ready for a perfect storm.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LOCK said:
Also, since the market is down substantially in software and hardware
Software yes, hardware no. In the end hardware will be better this year, software will improve a lot but still will be well behind 2010 levels.

Beth Cyra

Chris1964 said:
Software yes, hardware no. In the end hardware will be better this year, software will improve a lot but still will be well behind 2010 levels.
If Mario Kart 7, MonHun 3G, Dragon Quest, FF Type 0, and FF XIII-2 all have decently large openings compared to the speculation, how far behind to do you believe 11 will be compared to 10?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Software is 10 million behind 2010. You can't cover this distance in 2 months. At the totally largely unbelievable optimistic scenario the difference will fall to half.

Beth Cyra

Chris1964 said:
Software is 10 million behind 2010. You can't cover this distance in 2 months. At the totally largely unbelievable optimistic scenario the difference will fall to half.
Damn.

I was only thinking 1 million this year for three of those titles. Well hopefully next year picks up and passes 10.

DGRE

Banned
donny2112 said:
JPNSoftware_YTD_Sep.png
Looking at the chart it seems like it may be possible for 3DS to overtake PSP in total YTD software sales since the biggest titles are yet to come.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DGRE said:
Looking at the chart it seems like it may be possible for 3DS to overtake PSP in total YTD software sales since the biggest titles are yet to come.
Do you realize you see a difference bigger than 5 million?

DGRE

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Do you realize you see a difference bigger than 5 million?
3 guaranteed million sellers in the pipeline with the usual Nintendo holiday bump tacked on? Yes it seems like it may be possible. Haha!
I didn't commit to anything, but it'll be fun to watch what happens.

Boney

Banned
DGRE said:
3 guaranteed million sellers in the pipeline with the usual Nintendo holiday bump tacked on? Yes it seems like it may be possible. Haha!
none of those will do a million before the year's end

Boney said:
none of those will do a million before the year's end
Mh3g will do a million by the end of the year, I'd be surprised a 1million first week but its got a couple extra weeks to push it over, Mario 3d land has got 2 whole months to get over a million, Mario kart won't get over a million by the end of the year I'd guess it'd get there in February

Beth Cyra

frankie_baby said:
Mh3g will do a million by the end of the year, I'd be surprised a 1million first week but its got a couple extra weeks to push it over, Mario 3d land has got 2 whole months to get over a million, Mario kart won't get over a million by the end of the year I'd guess it'd get there in February
I think Mario Kart 7 has a far higher chance of hitting 1 million by year end then Mario 3D.

As it is Mario 3D is still a Mario 3D game and while it's simpler I'm still not convinced that 3D Land will be able to capture the NSMB audience and Galaxy 1/2 didn't do a million in two months and seemed to have way more hype going into 1.

test_account

XP-39C²
DGRE said:
Even if the 3DS have 3 games that sell 1 million each within this year, keep in mind that the PSP will also contunie to sell software :)

Busaiku said:
Yakuza beat Ni no Kuni too (Yes, it counts as an RPG), and the current batch of RPGs that came out the past few weeks (Dark Souls and Monster Hunter 3rd) are tracking to eventually surpass it too.

Saying "Only those titles" is a bit of a misnomer too given that those two are close to the only major RPGs that have been released for the PS3 to date that aren't late/sloppy ports.

Beth Cyra

test_account said:
Even if the 3DS have 3 games that sell 1 million each within this y
year, keep in mind that the PSP will also contunie to sell software :)

While true, that feels sad because in one year 3DS would have 3/4's as many million sellers as PSP in it's life time.

Hard to believe how few there have been across across PSP and PS3 when they have even had huge FF titles on them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Last year had Black/White + MHP3rd, two absolute Blockbuster titles - there is no game which will even be able to sell half as much as the titles this year.

TruePrime said:
I think Mario Kart 7 has a far higher chance of hitting 1 million by year end then Mario 3D.

As it is Mario 3D is still a Mario 3D game and while it's simpler I'm still not convinced that 3D Land will be able to capture the NSMB audience and Galaxy 1/2 didn't do a million in two months and seemed to have way more hype going into 1.
While I don't see 3d land pulling nsmb numbers the simpler nature and retro nods give it plenty of chance to sell far better than the galaxy games, add to that The fact its got 2 months to sell as opposed to kart's 3 weeks should mean its got a million in the bag

Beth Cyra

frankie_baby said:
While I don't see 3d land pulling nsmb numbers the simpler nature and retro nods give it plenty of chance to sell far better than the galaxy games, add to that The fact its got 2 months to sell as opposed to kart's 3 weeks should mean its got a million in the bag
You maybe right but still I disagree.

I don't think those 2D nodes will be enough.

Galaxy 2 did alot of this as well by bringing Yoshi back and even had the 2-D sections of the game pimped pretty hard and it still had a rough time.

Should I be wrong I will happily eat crow as I plan to pick up the game, but I really don't believe Mario 3D Land will hit 1 million this year.

king zell

next week well be the start of one of the biggest lineup's I've seen in the e history of Japan gaming.

starting next week with the release of the new color with Tetris until the end of Jan 2012 it's gonna be insane.

DR2K

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
But... but... but... according to gaming journalists and NeoGAF, the 3DS and Nintendo were doomed!

I'm going to post this every time the 3DS is at the top of the charts.

So I take it you'll only be posting in the media create threads?

Datschge

TruePrime said:
Galaxy 2 did alot of this as well by bringing Yoshi back and even had the 2-D sections of the game pimped pretty hard and it still had a rough time.
It was still more complex than the NSMBs control wise. Having 2D sections is a nice nod but didn't really make it easier for casuals to jump in and pick up the standard controls. In 3D Land the controls are kept on NSMB level of complexity, and the 3D has depth instead the flat 3D which makes distances hard to tell for casuals.

Cipherr

king zell said:
next week well be the start of one of the biggest lineup's I've seen in the e history of Japan gaming.

starting next week with the release of the new color with Tetris until the end of Jan 2012 it's gonna be insane.

Its a good run. Im interested in seeing how much the market can sustain, so many big games over a long stretch.

DR2K said:
So I take it you'll only be posting in the media create threads?

I wouldn't throw stones considering some of the rather ominous predictions about the 3DS that you have made, and said on GAF in the past year that aren't exactly panning out bruh.... If you can survive it, Im sure he can as well.

PdotMichael said:
sorry, I hurt your nintendo feelings?

but the big difference between hardware and software sales is fact

We have hardware totals for the 3DS, what we dont have AFAIK is software totals for the 3DS in this week. Its a rather bad idea to use top 20 as an indicator of all software sold. And then there is backwards compatibility, and the fact that in Japan, the 3DS is nearly the same price as the DS. People would likely buy a 3DS even if they are buying DS games.

Beth Cyra

Datschge said:
It was still more complex than the NSMBs control wise. Having 2D sections is a nice nod but didn't really make it easier for casuals to jump in and pick up the standard controls. In 3D Land the controls are kept on NSMB level of complexity, and the 3D has depth instead the flat 3D which makes distances hard to tell for casuals.
Well hopefully it works.

I was sad seeing Mario Galaxy 2's numbers given how amazing that game is.

Erethian

Beam said:
So the PSP sold 160k at launch. The Vita should do better, especially since it´s launching on the holidays.

PSP also launched in December.

The issue will be how many units Sony ships to retailers.

noobie

Banned
distantmantra said:
Huh?

PS3 has Final Fantasy XIII-2, Gundam Extreme Versus, Ni no Kuni, Musou Orochi 2, etc.
FF XIII-2 i dont think is going to move much hardware..
others are also much less popular and also sequels i believe.
Only exception is Ni no Kuni.. it can be a surprise boaster.. but i dont see it moving more than 25 - 30k PS3 on the launch week...
so it will be pretty hard for PS3 to break 100k a week barrier in Holidays in japan... just like in 2007 holidays

Beth Cyra

Kazerei said:
MKDS was released on December 8th, 2005, and sold 80,000 over the first four weeks.
Whilte this doesn't really look good up front it should be said that MK DS came after much weaker entries so the postion of 7 coming from DS and Wii should be taken into account I believe.

Beth Cyra

noobie said:
FF XIII-2 i dont think is going to move much hardware..
others are also much less popular and also sequels i believe.
Only exception is Ni no Kuni.. it can be a surprise boaster.. but i dont see it moving more than 25 - 30k PS3 on the launch week...
so it will be pretty hard for PS3 to break 100k a week barrier in Holidays in japan... just like in 2007 holidays
XIII-2 will likely move hardware if only to sell a good chunk of LE PS3's.

Sorry for the DP.

Dalthien

TruePrime said:
I was sad seeing Mario Galaxy 2's numbers given how amazing that game is.
Famitsu has Super Mario Galaxy 2 at 981,606 through the end of June, with 81k sold through the first 6 months of 2011. It will easily top a million (and may very well already have reached it).

And Media Create had it at 950k (50k higher than Famitsu) at the end of 2010, so it has almost certainly topped a million in Media Create as well.

Galaxy 2 has held up with Galaxy 1 very well.

Beth Cyra

Dalthien said:
Famitsu has Super Mario Galaxy 2 at 981,606 through the end of June, with 81k sold through the first 6 months of 2011. It will easily top a million (and may very well already have reached it).

And Media Create had it at 950k (50k higher than Famitsu) at the end of 2010, so it has almost certainly topped a million in Media Create as well.

Galaxy 2 has held up with Galaxy 1 very well.
I'm talking about overall numbers when I say disappointed with Galaxy 2 sales which is about half of 1 WW.

BurntPork

Banned
Cipherr said:
We have hardware totals for the 3DS, what we dont have AFAIK is software totals for the 3DS in this week. Its a rather bad idea to use top 20 as an indicator of all software sold. And then there is backwards compatibility, and the fact that in Japan, the 3DS is nearly the same price as the DS. People would likely buy a 3DS even if they are buying DS games.
Shut up. 3DS is a fad that will die when PlayStation Jesus comes out.

Anth0ny

It's pretty funny to see how many 3DS' are being sold, and how little 3DS games are being sold.

dat Monster Hunter factor

Top Bottom