• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)

That is bad for WiiU. Even Vita has 3 on there.

Here are my predictions for Top 3 Wii U Software Sales (Dengeki) for Week 41 (Oct 07 - Oct 13):

1. Wind Waker HD - 4,500 (6,369 last week)

2. Pikmin 3 - 1,600 (1,794 last week)

3. New Super Luigi U - 1,400 (1,513 last week)

With no new releases, I expect Total Wii U Software Sales (Dengeki) to be 12,500 (15,878 last week).

Here are the releases in the upcoming weeks:

Week 41 (Oct 07 - Oct 13) - Nothing
* Flatlined or declining software sales

Week 42 (Oct 14 - Oct 20) - Rayman Legends on October 17th
* Flatlined / declining sales, maybe a slight rise in overall figures
* Rayman will probably appear in Top 50 for Dengeki (>1,000 sales as of recently)...but I expect <5K for Rayman Legends lifetime sales

Week 43 (Oct 21 - Oct 27) - Sonic: Lost World on October 24th
* I expect Sonic's performance will be similar to Sonic Colors (10K) so maybe a 5K first week

Week 44 (Oct 28 - Nov 03) - Three Wii U bundles + Wii Party U on October 31st
* Here's where the console may rise above abysmal levels

It's incredible that Nintendo allowed the Wii U to have four consecutive dead weeks when we're this close to the holiday season.

Lumyst

So it will be up to the first party games, that they have showed already, to drive sales. Mario for those who love traditional Nintendo games, Wii___ games for the casual audience. Perhaps the question of how much pull the Nintendo brand has on those two kinds of gamers can be answered soon
(I know, I know Shinra, poor sales already predict the answer to that question.)

So it will be up to the first party games, that they have showed already, to drive sales. Mario for those who love traditional Nintendo games, Wii___ games for the casual audience. Perhaps the question of how much pull the Nintendo brand has on those two kinds of gamers can be answered soon
(I know, I know Shinra, poor sales already predict the answer to that question.)

the major games like mario3d and mario kart will sell well, thats not the question to ask but rather will they just sell to the same people who already bought in for nsmb.

The Wii__ stuff wont sell well but the small audience for them might be those who weren't interested in the stuff thats been released so far.

such big gaps between releases will be a huge momentum killer regardless of the impact of each individual title though

neohwa

the support for the wii u is so little I really have to ask Nintendo what were they thinking

for vita though it actually got games! so why is it not selling? it's a portable too so it should have been big in japan. tell me why?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the support for the wii u is so little I really have to ask Nintendo what were they thinking

for vita though it actually got games! so why is it not selling? it's a portable too so it should have been big in japan. tell me why?
The games it is getting aren't especially relevant and/or not exclusive for the most part.

HD development caught them by surprised, which isn't excusable in the slightest.

Vita's support is all niche stuff or ports, there's only so many consoles you can sell with that kind of library.

The Vita Slim just came out after this MC. It makes sense that sales slowed right before its release.

Japan knows X is superior to Y.

YOU WANNA FIGHT BRO

j/k

but seriously, how does Japan typically compare to the rest of the world in the Pokemon split, I heard White outsold Black elsewhere while it was the reverse in Japan (dunno if this is true)
edit: apparently this is the case with Ruby/Sapphire too, huh

the games its getting arent big, imagine a console launching in the west that got a ton of third party support but it was all stuff like army of two, risen and sniper elite being released up against cod, gta and elder scrolls

HD development caught them by surprised, which isn't excusable in the slightest.

Vita's support is all niche stuff or ports, there's only so many consoles you can sell with that kind of library.

hd doesn't explain the third party situation though which is the bigger issue

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think it should have been a PS3/PS4 multi release, in order to start creating the userbase on PS4 for KHIII. And, also, just for having some new post-launch good PS4 games saleswise.

Hellraider

I think it should have been a PS3/PS4 multi release, in order to start creating the userbase on PS4 for KHIII. And, also, just for having some new post-launch good PS4 games saleswise.

Don't worry, DDD will probably get the multi release treatment after that.

Orgen

Seeing that KH III will be a late 2015 title at the earliest, the logic thing to do would be releasing a KH 1.5 + 2.5 pack for PS4 before KH III.

But we are talking about SE, so... :D

Hellraider

Another thing about the Kingdom Hearts situation, I love how Nomura has been talking about how he wants to put the whole series on one platform, yet to play the remasters and the new entry you will have to get two consoles!

cafemomo

Another thing about the Kingdom Hearts situation, I love how Nomura has been talking about how he wants to put the whole series on one platform, yet to play the remasters and the new entry you will have to get two consoles!

It's still a "1 platform" thing if you think about it

Those playing on the PS3 will likely to jump to the PS4 for KHIII

Sales for KHIII will be slim for the X1. Same deal goes with XV and LR on the 360

Vita sales should recover a little bit with the release of Penguin Editions, but I foresee the STORM of PokeMonHun impacting having a noticable impact until Fenrir Edition Vita releases.

November and December will be critical for Vita, with the release of VitaTV, GE2,and FFX/X-2.

Sales for KHIII will be slim for the X1. Same deal goes with XV and LR on the 360

there will be gakai for ps3 games on ps4 too eventually so i guess its a technicality

Hellraider

I won't argue that PS3 users will be getting a PS4 sooner or later but they are still two different platforms.It would have been another situation if PS4 had BC.

And I had completely forgotten how KH3 is getting a XB1 release.So, what's the point of HD remasters being PS3 exclusive when KH3 is multiplatform?

In Japan there was virtually no third party support from day 1

vita sold badly but with a lot of 3rd party support relatively though, ports or not.

so it must be something personal against Nintendo from the 3rd parties.......
Well in the same way 3DS had better support than the Vita initially due to the DS, Wii U is just following its predecessor when it comes to third party support, still the severity of it is a bit surprising.

Also, the Vita's support is in quantity and although most games didn't sell well at the launch, the third parties that are still supporting should be happy with the sales of their games on the Vita, KOEI, Marvelous, Falcom etc etc

I don't think the Wii U 3rd party support is any worse than any Nintendo console before it that is not the NES/SNES tbh.

Actually it is.

Gamecube had quite a few high profile games from Namco/Capcom - Soul Calibur, Tales, Resident, Sega ported Skies of Arcadia to it etc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think the Wii U 3rd party support is any worse than any Nintendo console before it that is not the NES/SNES tbh.

Yeah, you're right, it's not worse.

In fact, you can't say something that doesn't exist is better / worse than something that, actually, existed a little.

pixelbox

There were new releases.

Entirely empty lines are not a good omen.

And the Japanese consumer will essentially line up for anything.

This is the opening of a pancake store from a different thread. So it's not selling like hotcakes.
12874288-mmmain.jpg
Japan usually goes for trendy things like what's hot and now and the Vita doesn't have the stigma. Having one picture of one store at one time isn't really telling either. this is especially true when there's another product released thats in high demand only days apart. Once again, MH didn't start with people lining up for the game; it took it MH:F, MH:F 2, and MH: F UNITE turn the franchise into hit. Same with the DS launch. Thing take time to develop.

Actually it is.

Gamecube had quite a few high profile games from Namco/Capcom - Soul Calibur, Tales, Resident, Sega ported Skies of Arcadia to it etc.

I still can't believe Capcom made RE exclusive to the GCN after how well it sold on the PS1. They almost killed the franchise with that move.

Anyway speaking about third party support, there is a Taiko game next month which should sell very well if the Wii games are an indication of anything. No idea about the future though, this is the only big 3rd party game that comes to my mind atm.

Yeah, you're right, it's not worse.

In fact, you can't say something that doesn't exist is better / worse than something that, actually, existed a little.

lol

I still can't believe Capcom made RE exclusive to the GCN after how well it sold on the PS1. They almost killed the franchise with that move.

Anyway speaking about third party support, there is a Taiko game next month which should sell very well if the Wii games are an indication of anything. No idea about the future though, this is the only big 3rd party game that comes to my mind atm.

lol

they were probably taking a gamble on the gamecube returning Nintendo to market dominance

Asd202

Yeah I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's any point of making KH3 and XV on Xbone the sales will be abyssal even in the west.

I understand the sentiment that Vita TV will increase sales somewhat in the west, although I think it will be more to levels where it doesn't get thrown off the shelves in America, but why in the world would Japan careabout this thing? Vita's problem is not price. It has been about the same price as the XL for months now. And Vita TV kills one of Vita's most appealing features-portability.

Yeah I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's any point of making KH3 and XV on Xbone the sales will be abyssal even in the west.

They won't be abysmal in the west....well unless Xbox One goes abysmal in general this generation.

RE:RE4
I thought it was, at least in part, because there was apparently some sort of beef between Mikami and Sony. Likewise Itagaki, Sony and Ninja Gaiden.

Although, I wasn't sure if that was just an old wives' tale.

I understand the sentiment that Vita TV will increase sales somewhat in the west, although I think it will be more to levels where it doesn't get thrown off the shelves in America, but why in the world would Japan careabout this thing? Vita's problem is not price. It has been about the same price as the XL for months now. And Vita TV kills one of Vita's most appealing features-portability.

Through an expansion of the install base.

Let's assume 1/4th of the current Japan Vita install base are 'Playstation diehards', guys who would buy all stuff Playstation. We're talking the possibility of the Vita install base growing by 500k instantly, even if it's actually repeat buyers.

Also, VitaTV, aside from its price, has the potential of trying to grow itself as a streaming media device for the living room, growing its market outside the usual gamers. Also a growth of install base, even if for casuals who won't buy games at all.

Lastly, as a leverage piece for PS4. I think there's a fair chance that a good percentage of PS4 owners will purchase a VitaTV, and if Sony could, in the future, do a special bundle with a high-profile console game like Final Fantasy, etc... that too will also spur the install base.

Be it from their die-hards, or from casuals, or from future PS4 owners, VitaTV already has a position to expand the install base and become a stronger ecosystem for 3rd-party devs to develop for.

Kid Ying

* Rayman will probably appear in Top 50 for Dengeki (>1,000 sales as of recently)...but I expect <5K for Rayman Legends lifetime sales

* I expect Sonic's performance will be similar to Sonic Colors (10K) so maybe a 5K first week

It's incredible that Nintendo allowed the Wii U to have four consecutive dead weeks when we're this close to the holiday season.
Hey, we shouldn't forget that Legends is being published by Nintendo, which is a difference when comparing to origins. The last Lego game before Undercover sold like 10k ltd, right? Not that i expect to see Rayman do well, quite the contrary! But maybe we can see something like 5k first week.

On Sonic i think you are spot on.

I'm still not understand why people think PS4 streaming is going to be so popular in Japan. First of all, with the kind of price PS4 has in Japan unless that lineup gets a huge boosts it's going to flatline pretty quickly, so not only do they have to buy a PS4, but buy a streaming device for more money and why exactly is streaming at home going to be so popular when the gaming market has shifted so much to devices you use outside the home? Obviously, the device will sell some units, but people are pretending like it;s some amazingly appealing device for the Japanese market and I'm not seeing that whatsoever besides someone thinking that Vita would be a huge hit if the price were lower.

DaBoss

YOU WANNA FIGHT BRO

j/k

but seriously, how does Japan typically compare to the rest of the world in the Pokemon split, I heard White outsold Black elsewhere while it was the reverse in Japan (dunno if this is true)
edit: apparently this is the case with Ruby/Sapphire too, huh

I thought Black outsold White everywhere?

Here are my predictions for Top 3 Wii U Software Sales (Dengeki) for Week 41 (Oct 07 - Oct 13):

1. Wind Waker HD - 4,500 (6,369 last week)

2. Pikmin 3 - 1,600 (1,794 last week)

3. New Super Luigi U - 1,400 (1,513 last week)

With no new releases, I expect Total Wii U Software Sales (Dengeki) to be 12,500 (15,878 last week).

In the large scheme of things, a few weeks will not make such a difference if Nintendo will be able to revive the system this holiday with Mario, Wii Fit U, And Wii Party U. In Japan, at least, the only real competition for Nintendo this holiday is itself anyway.

The PS3 still has this... thing...
iqgdezdlyhxry.gif

Which will probably be a drop from XIII-2, but will still sell a lot.

The PS3 is also still due for a price cut really; but Sony seem to be prioritizing maximum profit from it.
Admit it, you just wanted to post that gif.
Guilty as charged.

FZZ

Banned
The PS3 still has this... thing...
iqgdezdlyhxry.gif

Which will probably be a drop from XIII-2, but will still sell a lot.

The PS3 is also still due for a price cut really; but Sony seem to be prioritizing maximum profit from it.

Admit it, you just wanted to post that gif.

saichi

How big will Puzzle and Dragons Z be compared to Pokémon X&Y?

not that big but GungHo's 1 million goal looks more and more likely by day.

Japan usually goes for trendy things like what's hot and now and the Vita doesn't have the stigma. Having one picture of one store at one time isn't really telling either. this is especially true when there's another product released thats in high demand only days apart. Once again, MH didn't start with people lining up for the game; it took it MH:F, MH:F 2, and MH: F UNITE turn the franchise into hit. Same with the DS launch. Thing take time to develop.

how long should VITA develop to become popular? and how do you explain other pictures for revision releases of other systems?

I'm still not understand why people think PS4 streaming is going to be so popular in Japan. First of all, with the kind of price PS4 has in Japan unless that lineup gets a huge boosts it's going to flatline pretty quickly, so not only do they have to buy a PS4, but buy a streaming device for more money and why exactly is streaming at home going to be so popular when the gaming market has shifted so much to devices you use outside the home? Obviously, the device will sell some units, but people are pretending like it;s some amazingly appealing device for the Japanese market and I'm not seeing that whatsoever besides someone thinking that Vita would be a huge hit if the price were lower.

Just like how Torne revived PS3 in Japan.

Top Bottom