• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

Fabrik

Banned
Big drop for WiiU! The real and second to last test is Super Mario 3D World.
PSVita is slowly becoming another PSP (But worse and without MH) destined to a niche Otaku audience and dead everywhere else.

Bo130

3uym.png

h1o.PNG

Into

Back to reality for the Wii U, at least World and the holiday season will spike it again in a few weeks.

AOC83

Banned
lol, even when the gamecube sold the least amount Nintendo still made the most profit.

the wii u will be making a nice profit by next year (not wii numbers).

a new console in 4 years is a def.

The Gamecube was a full fledged disaster and Nintendo sure as hell didn´t make any profit with it and the WiiU is a Gamecube on steroids in that regard.

gogogow

The Wii-U drop was larger than I anticipated, I guessed that it would hit 24-25k this week. Vita staying above 20k is good as they're keeping that momentum going into the release of the Playstation Vita TV and God Eater 2 combo.

Man next week can't come soon enough, curious to see if God Eater 2 can top the first in sales.

Nintendo or Bamco should have released a game last week to have a smaller drop in sales or keep it at the same level. I'm not sure why Nintendo/Bamco are releasing SM3DW/Taiko on the same day.

The Wii-U drop was larger than I anticipated, I guessed that it would hit 24-25k this week. Vita staying above 20k is good as they're keeping that momentum going into the release of the Playstation Vita TV and God Eater 2 combo.

Man next week can't come soon enough, curious to see if God Eater 2 can top the first in sales.

Of course it will.

By December 31st, Nintendo have published 17 games at retail this year in Japan across their two platforms (16 if you insist on not counting Luigi U), plus digital only stuff like Dillion's Rolling Western 2, and Pokemon Rumble U. We know about 9 projects (see spoilers, correct if wrong) they are intending to publish at retail in 2014, with presumably more unknown announcements. I'm aware they need more studios, and possibly smarter targeting of developer resources, but I don't think volume, by number of titles, is a huge problem.

Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, Mario Golf World Tour, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Lexxism

Looks like 3ds will be down yoy again in a few weeks courtesy of animal crossing.

I think vita might outsell 3ds next week due to ge2 + vita tv.

Metallix87

No it's not and it doesn't deserve anything. A year old system on par with 6 and 7 year old systems with a gimmick that even Nintendo can't justify.
So much vitriol. Wow.

Wii U is more powerful than those old systems, and I'm so sick and tired of the word "gimmick" being tossed around as though it means "something bad for gaming".

sörine

Banned
The Gamecube was a full fledged disaster and Nintendo sure as hell didn´t make any profit with it and the WiiU is a Gamecube on steroids in that regard.
Gamecube wasn't a net money loser like Dreamcast, Xbox, PS3 or Wii U so far. It didn't make much but it did make something.

Iwata stated many times 3DS is exceeding Nintendo forecast in Japan.

..... How? Next week the 3DS is most likely going to be down YoY, and that gap is unlikely to shrink after it happens. And the downward trend only gets worse if you only look at the beginning of the fiscal year, sales from that quarter received a huge boost from Luigi and Dragon Quest. I doubt Nintendo has anything set for the coming quarter comparable to Dragon Quest in system selling potential.

Metallix87

..... How? Next week the 3DS is most likely going to be down YoY, and that gap is unlikely to shrink after it happens. And the downward trend only gets worse if you only look at the beginning of the fiscal year, sales from that quarter received a huge boost from Luigi and Dragon Quest. I doubt Nintendo has anything set for the coming quarter comparable to Dragon Quest in system selling potential.
They have a new Dragon Quest game, with a Dragon Quest themed 3DS XL.

Scum

I think that's a great idea. I thought this is what would happen back in the day when Nintendo opened up NST staffed with Digipen students. Lockdown that talent and have them pumping out games in the West. But they just stopped there, and NST haven't been working on any big games anymore lately.

Well, that was Godlike Arakawa idea. I believe he was a big fan of Nintendo having devs associated with the other branches, but I think Iwata & his hired goons dismantled that idea. Silly bugger. :-/

I do think what I mentioned earlier has a chance of happening, whether Iwata likes it or not, or someone is brought in to do it. It'll be these best thing for Nintendo in the long run.

Kyon

Banned
So much vitriol. Wow.

Wii U is more powerful than those old systems, and I'm so sick and tired of the word "gimmick" being tossed around as though it means "something bad for gaming".

The irony
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

Also if it was then why does it have inferior multiplats and non of the exclusives look better than PS3 exclusives? And yes the WiiU is a gimmick like the Wii.

Atram

ironic because they have a Dragon Quest Game in the first Quarter...+ Zelda

I'm actually expecting a Streambox/WiiU TV and a Gamepad/New Gameboy combo, to be honest.

Ninty consolidating hardware teams certainly points to that being the future and I think it's a great idea.

I think if this was how it was a few years ago, we would've had a consolidated VC, crossbuy/play functionality, and Miiverse on 3DS already.

Jamix012

I'm gonna have to ask for a source because I'm like 95% sure that's bullshit (=

AOC83

Banned
sörine;89663365 said:
Gamecube wasn't a net money loser like Dreamcast, Xbox, PS3 or Wii U so far. It didn't make much but it did make something.

Yeah no it didn´t. Nintendo was barely in the plus during the gamecube era most of the time although they had a massively successful handheld with the GBA.

SmokyDave

Are you saying he's wrong? A few decent weeks of sales doesn't make Vita a healthy platform. Sure it has the games, but not the sales.

Where are people getting sales from?! I bolded the relative parts of the joke. Now, I'll explain it and ruin the giggle. Frillen called the 3DS a healthy platform. Frillen then pointed to the Vita's revised forecasts as a sign that the platform was unhealthy. The 3DS has missed every forecast Nintendo have ever set, even when they've revised them. That's the joke. This does not mean that I believe the Vita sells well (it doesn't) or is a healthy platform (it isn't) or that the 3DS is unhealthy in Japan (it is healthy).

I hope that clears things up.

Type-Zero

Maybe release an exclusive or two? Or games that aren't just ports of older titles?
Vita's had a fairly impressive recovery, but Square and Capcom have not ever shown interest.

I'm sorry but you don't send a gift to a girl your not interested in, even if the gift is cheap.

Why go to through the trouble to have time and money be used to do something your not interested in? Before 3DS received Monster Hunter 4 it started with MH3 which is a port. Square started off the PSP with Valkyrie Profile port before going onto KH:BB and Crisis Core. Lastly, why would Sony make a bundle with a FFX/X-2 themed 2000 model for someone slightly interested?

gngf123

Nintendo made quite a lot of profit on the Gamecube. Actually, if my memory serves me right they made more money that gen than Sony did with the PS2. Even though the PS2 sold many more units.

Scum

By December 31st, Nintendo have published 17 games at retail this year in Japan across their two platforms (16 if you insist on not counting Luigi U), plus digital only stuff like Dillion's Rolling Western 2, and Pokemon Rumble U. We know about 9 projects (see spoilers, correct if wrong) they are intending to publish at retail in 2014, with presumably more unknown announcements. I'm aware they need more studios, and possibly smarter targeting of developer resources, but I don't think volume, by number of titles, is a huge problem.

Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, Mario Golf World Tour, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Oh, I agree. But I just think the "heavy" reliance on NCL is too much. Involve NoA and NoE more. Maybe the added responsibility at NoA will give them the deserved kick up the backside. :p

Top Bottom