• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

SmokyDave

It never should have been put in. Really don't know what Sony was thinking with the Vita. At least support it yourself.

They were thinking 'how do we make a new version of the PSP?'. Problem is, the market had changed so much that a new version of the PSP was only attractive to a tiny weeny minority of people.

They do support the device as much as can be expected (given they just launched their flagship console). The problem is that isn't enough to offset the lack of solid third party support.

Thorgal

To me it screams that Sony recognizes how atrophied the console market is in Japan at the moment. Clearly is not a priority

To me it screams that Sony wants to wage war against MS in their home turf.

They want to win back the market share that they have lost during Last gen (that being the UK and U.S .)
and that is their highest priority right now .

Japan might not be a high priority but that doesn't mean they don't give a shit about it .

They do support the device as much as can be expected (given they just launched their flagship console).

I feel like the divergence in how Sony is supporting the Vita is best shown here.

As someone that has owned a Vita since launch, I really don't think Sony is supporting it as much as can be expected. I think they had a lot of ideas for how things would go and no contingency plans for if the market did not react the way they expected.

They want to win back the market share that they have lost during Last gen and that is their highest priority right now .

Japan might not be a high priority but that doesn't mean they don't give a shit about it .

It's blatantly clear that even if Sony did give a shit about Japan, 3rd parties in Japan clearly are sticking with the PS3 a little longer, investing more in mobile, and putting more games on 3DS. It should be very interesting to see how an expensive console with only the biggest 3rd party games sell.

SmokyDave

I feel like the divergence in how Sony is supporting the Vita is best shown here.

As someone that has owned a Vita since launch, I really don't think Sony is supporting it as much as can be expected. I think they had a lot of ideas for how things would go and no contingency plans for if the market did not react the way they expected.
Eh, you might be right. Maybe I've tuned out their apathy as my expectations have diminished. I know I no longer bother thinking 'man, I wish this was on Vita' because I know it ain't happening.

Thank fuck for Remote Play.

Tripon

How do you mean with "wanting more money"? That Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom?

Reusing old assets its possible on every platform by the way, so that is no hurdle on a more powerful system. Capcom released a "HD" version of both Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Nintendo helped provided marketing help, and servers I think.

guek

Banned

They want to win back the market share that they have lost during Last gen (that being the UK and U.S .)
and that is their highest priority right now .

Oh I'm not saying they don't care, just that is not at the forefront of their concerns

crinale

It never should have been put in. Really don't know what Sony was thinking with the Vita. At least support it yourself.

Well it's just a coincidence but it kinda acted like a bait for Nintendo, to lure them to dump money and resource to 3DS.
That left WiiU's software lineup pretty barren, leaving the 8th gen console market wide open for Sony to take over.

Of course I'm pretty sure it wasn't original intention for neither Sony nor Nintendo. IMO it's more like action and reaction sequence.
I'm guessing that after Vita announcement and Nintendo decided to go for "Ambassador Program" route, Sony decided to not to compete with them.
(Same goes for Nintendo's console strategy, where they think going arms race with Sony and Microsoft isn't good fit for them).

Oh I'm not saying they don't care, just that is not at the forefront of their concerns

I feel like, whether they care or not, the key is to convince Japanese customers they care when it comes time to release there. Having no competition means they don't have to worry about losing ground, but I am not sure people are going to think of "Free Knack" as the valued consolation prize it was four months ago.

jmls1121

Banned
I didn't realize it at the time, but Sony is skipping the Holiday season in Japan by launching in Feb. I don't know what's up with that, if its just arrogance, or the new reality that the Japanese market is simply no longer a priority but that seems a bit weird.

Your latter theory. Japan is all about handhelds and mobile now.

phanphare

Banned
Well it's just a coincidence but it kinda acted like a bait for Nintendo, to lure them to dump money and resource to 3DS.
That left WiiU's software lineup pretty barren, leaving the 8th gen console market wide open for Sony to take over.

Of course I'm pretty sure it wasn't original intention for neither Sony nor Nintendo. IMO it's more like action and reaction sequence.
I'm guessing that after Vita announcement and Nintendo decided to go for "Ambassador Program" route, Sony decided to not to compete with them.
(Same goes for Nintendo's console strategy, where they think going arms race with Sony and Microsoft isn't good fit for them).

lo-fucking-l

crinale

I feel like, whether they care or not, the key is to convince Japanese customers they care when it comes time to release there. Having no competition means they don't have to worry about losing ground, but I am not sure people are going to think of "Free Knack" as the valued consolation prize it was four months ago.

Those individuals planning to get PS4 day 1 in Japan are game enthusiasts, and of course they know how Knack got panned from critiques in the West. So obviously they aren't happy with Knack as the "compensation" for delayed launch.
That said, many are also aware that console market in Japan isn't hot anymore, so they can't ask much either. At least it is coming out in Japan indeed.

Right.... what happened there?

One possible reason besides waiting for the PS4 version is that there could be more digital downloads of the expansion since this is the first one where you could mixjoy with the digital version without having to do old school disc swapping.

Nibel

TV: 42.172 > 7.868 > 5.391 (55,431)

GO: 29.109 > 13.992 > 6.427 (49,528)

icMEPufKm4rWj.gif

Thorgal

It's blatantly clear that even if Sony did give a shit about Japan, 3rd parties in Japan clearly are sticking with the PS3 a little longer, investing more in mobile, and putting more games on 3DS. It should be very interesting to see how an expensive console with only the biggest 3rd party games sell.

Right it will be interesting to see .

Although i question whether it being "expensive " makes such a difference of its selling capability in Japan .

Looking at how much it sold these last two weeks in U.S and the EU alone at that price even if it was to the gaming enthusiasts alone it doesn't seem such an obstacle or negative against it , unless the average Japanese Gamer gets or earns less money then his western counterpart.

L~A

Great numbers for Miku, and it actually got less pre-orders than the first game. Looks like the franchise has found a fanbase on the 3DS, I'm curious too see how well it'll sell over the holidays.

Good numbers for the 3DS too, but too bad it won't do better than last year. That Animal Crossing craze...

Great news for the Wii U bump, but we're still quite far form healthy sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Right it will be interesting to see .

Although i question whether it being "expensive " makes such a difference of its selling capability in Japan .

Looking at how much it sold these last two weeks in U.S and the EU alone at that price even if it was to the gaming enthusiasts alone it doesn't seem such an obstacle or negative against it , unless the average Japanese Gamer gets or earns less money then his western counterpart.

Probably more the fact console gaming in the west is largely still going strong, whereas in Japan it's largely been taken over by handheld gaming.

Compare how the Vita (as terrible it's doing in Japan) with the PS3 in Japan and then do the same comparison in the west. This comparison itself ignores there's two active consoles in West in comparison to Japan but you see the point. Console gaming in Japan is nowhere near as popular as in the west. Granted due enthusiast Japan it'll definitely do well at the start even the Vita did. but it's ultimate test will come in the weeks afterword's.

M3d10n

I'd say that's a good bet. It's a cracking little game and it won't surprise me if it explodes.

I can't believe Sony didn't lock that one down for the Vita.

I'm really curious about how that one does. It's been a while since we had such unpredictable release: it could be absolutely huge or it could be just a blip. Way too many variables.

guek

Banned
Yeah I agree. It's not really clear what Sony's overall plan for us in Japan is yet. Hopefully unlike vita they actually have a plan

REALLY shocked (in a bad way) Toriko only managed 11k.

How did the PSP Toriko games which this is the sequel to do?

This is a really impressive looking MH-clone IMO, how did it not do close to One Piece's opening? Shipment is obviously lower but I would've thought at least the % would be higher, maybe the game was hard to find? But then why the small shipment?

ikvkjYjSXt0PD.jpg

L~A

This is a really impressive looking MH-clone IMO, how did it not do close to One Piece's opening? Shipment is obviously lower but I would've thought at least the % would be higher, maybe the game was hard to find? But then why the small shipment?

ikvkjYjSXt0PD.jpg

Too many Monster Hunter-like games in the past few weeks (Monster Hunter 4, God Eater 2, One Piece (not really a clone, but same 4-player co-op action), then Gaist Crusher this week).

crinale

ikvkjYjSXt0PD.jpg

Well, 3DS owners have mainline Monster Hunter. For fans of the series it is like MH4 cartridge will be glued to 3DS until they complete the game (would take like hundreds of hrs), provided that they'l take full advantage of handheld's sleep & resume feature. Do you really think they would flock to clones just because it is of popular Jump franchise, until they get bored of MH?

Also, to take full advantage of street pass experience (you'll receive essential items by doing so), there's no way you'll yank out MH4 from 3DS.

Yasumi

Banned
Vita holding on nicely. What's the next big release?

It'll probably get a bump on the 19th. There's the Otomate bundle with a Vita + two otome VNs (Hakuoki and Amnesia, both also releasing that week), the Madoka game, and Shin Gundam Musou.

Metallix87

It's a perfect compliment to the PS ecosystem

Sony just needs to advertise it a bit more.
This sounds so silly. No amount of advertising is going to make Vita or Vita TV relevant as a PS4 add-on. The benefits won't be enough for most consumers to care.

This sounds so silly. No amount of advertising is going to make Vita or Vita TV relevant as a PS4 add-on. The benefits won't be enough for most consumers to care.

At least in Japan this is correct. In the west with a rebrand to PS player or something it might do ok as an accessory.

One game is hardly major support.

Well PS4 wishes it had an exclusive lined up that will sell what Nova will anytime soon.

Tripon

Yeah, even stuff like the Super Gameboy, or Gameboy Player weren't good sellers. It was a niche product at best for Nintendo.

And those were games that people really wanted to play on a bigger screen.

Exile20

In percentages it tracks closer to the Vita than to the GO:

Code:
Vita:
324,859	100,00%
72,479	22,31%
42,648	13,13%

Vita TV:	
42172	100,00%
7868	18,66%
5391	12,78%

PSP GO:
29109	100,00%
13992	48,07%
6427	22,08%
Difference is, Vita sales picked up again. PSP GO's didn't.

Yet without it Vita family wouldn't have outsold 3DS family in GE2 week and Vita family wouldn't have outsold Wii U this week. It is making a difference.

Ahahahahah, you are really grasping at air here. Vita family? What? lol.

cafemomo

The Vita TV, sure I can agree with you that it might be relegated to a PS4 accessory, but it can still be salvaged.

The Vita on the other hand, still has potential in it. It can be more than a glorified controller.

duckroll

09./00. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: Infinite Battle # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.28} (¥7.480) - 22.833 / NEW

This is inaccurate. Should be:

09./00. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: Infinite Battle # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.28} (¥7.480) - 22.833 / NEW

Thx.

Metallix87

The Vita on the other hand, still has potential in it. It can be more than a glorified controller.
Nope. Please don't kid yourself. It's been on the market for almost two years. Support is still lacklustre at best. Sony seems content with turning it into a PS4 accessory.

It's done. That's it. I'm sorry if that upsets you or anyone else, but it's fact. Don't worry, though, it won't be alone, since I suspect Wii U joins it after Mario Kart and Smash launch. Both will enjoy niche status, with some minor hits, and that's more or less it.

Toriko is nowhere as popular as One Piece.

Thorgal

Jeez, that thread is already a minefield. Hope it's not permanent. His avatar was taken away, which isn't a good sign.

Doesn't mean much .
I have seen plenty of people banned who's av was removed who later showed back up again .

Sometimes i wish instead of just stating "banned " for someone who's account got nuked it would say "Permabanned ".

Would make it easier to know whether someone is coming back or not .

But anyway this is getting off topic .

ZhugeEX

Banned
One possible reason besides waiting for the PS4 version is that there could be more digital downloads of the expansion since this is the first one where you could mixjoy with the digital version without having to do old school disc swapping.

I get that. But according to Famitsu, WO3 Ultimate had around ~8,000 digital units sold across PS3 and PS Vita in the first week of sales. DW8XL had half the PSV sales and just over half the PS3 sales. So i know we don't have actual download figures for DW8XL but i'd doubt that they were more than 8,000.

So even 63k+8k= ~70k+ which is still quite disappointing compared to 7XL and other games when you consider it launched on two platforms as well.

So maybe the PS4 version is going to be the one?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez, that thread is already a minefield. Hope it's not permanent. His avatar was taken away, which isn't a good sign.

lol, that's just an urban legend. Sometimes avatars go away, sometimes they don't. It has nothing to do with type of ban.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Vita TV, sure I can agree with you that it might be relegated to a PS4 accessory, but it can still be salvaged.

In Japan sure, the west that ship has long sailed and it ain't coming back.

It managed to less (around half to be precise) in the same quarter last year worldwide despite having a price cut. Chances are things are gonna get worse for the Vita in the west not better.

Unless sales in Japan pick up tremendously, next years quarterly sales results ain't gonna be pretty.

TheZjman

Banned
I Japan sure, the west that ship has long sailed and it ain't coming back.

It managed to less (around half to be precise) in the same quarter last year worldwide despite having a price cut. Chances are things are gonna get worse for the Vita in the west not better.

Unless sales in Japan pick up tremendously, next years quarterly sales results ain't gonna be pretty.

But we won't even know because Sony will hide it in PSP numbers :(

Principate

Saint Titanfall

ikvkjYjSXt0PD.jpg

Toriko's never been that popular it's popularity currently has fallen off significantly judging by it's volume sales One piece is number 1 in volume sales averaging around 20 million per volume (which for those interest come out 3 every months, the author makes serious bank off that alone) Toriko isn't even in the top 10 and hasn't been for least a year, you shouldn't be comparing the two. The difference in popularity is vast.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
09./00. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: Infinite Battle # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.28} (¥7.480) - 22.833 / NEW

This is inaccurate. Should be:

09./00. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: Infinite Battle # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.28} (¥7.480) - 22.833 / NEW

Thx.

How was Namco expecting 200k from this? ...How? :lol

Top Bottom