• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

Takao

Banned
PSM is too limited to really be an alternative to anything. At this point it's just a way for garage developers to work on PlayStation.

Mario007

PSM is too limited to really be an alternative to anything. At this point it's just a way for garage developers to work on PlayStation.
Yup, all I'm saying is that it used to be Sony's B plan if they fucked up with Vita. Which they did. But they still did nothing with PSM for the past year at all.

Sony will keep the Vita around. It makes them some profit and gives the PS4 a unique feature compared to the Xbone. Plus it gives the small developers a place for their games as the PS3 goes away. Even if they aren't huge titles, stuff keeps getting announced for it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
There is secrecy lately with initial shipments for new launches. Maybe something will see the light close to release.

But we have amazon to the rescue. How long did it take for preorders to stop? Vita TV took a few hours, it will be huge.

/dead

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet store chain corner, as of December 17th, 2013

[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 252pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster - 149pt
[PSV] Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster Twin pack - 53pt
[PSV] Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - 15pt

[PS3] Gundam Musou 3 - 265pt
[PS3] Shin Gundam Musou - 122pt
[PSV] Shin Gundam Musou - 23pt

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs - 228pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost - 84pt + 31pt = 115pt

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 - 84pt
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 26pt + 22pt = 48pt

So are we expecting SM3DW to show decent legs this week? And do we expect Wii U to hold around 40k. Or is this a big week in Japan and we should expect more? I'm still not really up to speed with what the Japanese equivalent of the holiday period is, if in fact it differs from the west.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So are we expecting SM3DW to show decent legs this week? And do we expect Wii U to hold around 40k. Or is this a big week in Japan and we should expect more? I'm still not really up to speed with what the Japanese equivalent of the holiday period is, if in fact it differs from the west.

I expect SM3D World and Wii U hardware to increase.

Sony co marketing the games and better exposure, I'd imagine. Also Vita was meant to be thing that expanded the audience.

Yup, all I'm saying is that it used to be Sony's B plan if they fucked up with Vita. Which they did. But they still did nothing with PSM for the past year at all.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but these posts seem a bit contradictory: can PSM really be both an attempt to leverage the (assumed circa 2011) success of Vita to get Sony a foothold in the mobile market and a backup plan in case Vita failed to sell?

FWIW, I agree more with the former assessment, since I don't really get what, other than access to the Vita userbase, was supposed to make PSM a more attractive option to mobile devs than standard Android development.

Mpl90

While this is more of a worldwide topic, I'd like to take a moment to discuss the Vita conundrum.

So in the US, the Vita did 70-75K in November. I'm not under the impression it's doing much better in Europe. I honestly have issues seeing it staying on the shelves of anything but specialty stores after Fall 2014, if it even lasts that long. There's also basically zero non-indie support from Western publishers for the platform, and no real signs that's going to change soon. Sony has no major internal developed Western games for the platform either, and the Japanese titles it is getting also aren't the type that are likely to sell Vitas in the West.

However, in Japan we have a lot of titles announced for the first half of 2014, Phantasy Star Nova and P4D announced for the Fall, and even a Digimon game announced for 2015, so it seems that Japanese publishers aren't intending on giving up on it especially soon.

What does Sony do at this point?

1.) Just wait it out until the platform dies everywhere while trying to salvage what they can of the Japanese audience over to the PS4?
2.) Try to start moving to a new platform that's more like a smart device (possibly even with an Android operating system, and ideally with as little R&D cost as possible since this isn't going to sell a lot), even if the Vita is still semi-alive in Japan?
3.) Something else?

I mean they could basically sunset the whole operation and just let it live a few extra years in one region like the PSP did, since it's only relevant in one region. However, if they still want whatever audience they're starting to pick up in Japan, I kind of feel they need something that A.) is cheap enough that you could conceivably just launch it in one region and sell it solely through web stores or whatever in the others (if you even bother that much) and B.) is still a portable that fits the needs of the local Japanese market both from a customer and developer perspective.

The problem I can definitively see for Sony portable business in the future is that I can't think Sony would be satisfied with a platform that sell around decent / good in just one territory, and very bad / not selling at all elsewhere. I don't think they can think about the current scenario and decide so easily to make another traditional handheld. PSP was a 70-80 million selling platform worldwide, with many million sellers, and Monster Hunter being a massive attraction for Japan, so releasing another handheld had sense, but Vita has yet to see a million seller WW, let alone Japan. Yeah, niche games sell pretty well, but I don't think Sony believe that would be enough.

Yoshida himself stated how they were thinking about a more mobile-like offering for the future, right? It's quite possible Sony will leave the traditional handheld market, and will try to create a mobile device with something that can attract some of the traditional handheld base (and that could be even a risk, since their audience now is more niche-otaku customers, which could not appreciate such a huge shift), but right now it's hard to think that there will certainly be a new Sony traditional portable device.

What's clear is that, in the current environment, Sony leaving the handheld market would mean making the next Nintendo handheld the de-facto market leader. Yes, it's already the market leader now, but with no Sony opposition, it would attract even more support than now, even from the Nis, Gust, Falcom of the case (I don't think it would be exclusive, at least at the beginning). Sure, PS4 exists, but the current outlook doesn't inspire me that much for the future (at least, the next future): yes, the big brands that sell especially in the West are there, but the rest? Only one game has been announced from TGS to today on PS4, and it's the PS4 version of Nobunaga Online, coming on PS3, PS2 and PC as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but these posts seem a bit contradictory: can PSM really be both an attempt to leverage the (assumed circa 2011) success of Vita to get Sony a foothold in the mobile market and a backup plan in case Vita failed to sell?

FWIW, I agree more with the former assessment, since I don't really get what, other than access to the Vita userbase, was supposed to make PSM a more attractive option to mobile devs than standard Android development.
I think he means backup plan as in supporting the system with games. That eventhough if bigger games werent coming for Vita, you would still have access to a lot of PSM games (if PSM became a good supported platform that is).

L Thammy

What's clear is that, in the current environment, Sony leaving the handheld market would mean making the next Nintendo handheld the de-facto market leader. Yes, it's already the market leader now, but with no Sony opposition, it would attract even more support than now, even from the Nis, Gust, Falcom of the case (I don't think it would be exclusive, at least at the beginning). Sure, PS4 exists, but the current outlook doesn't inspire me that much for the future (at least, the next future): yes, the big brands that sell especially in the West are there, but the rest? Only one game has been announced from TGS to today on PS4, and it's the PS4 version of Nobunaga Online, coming on PS3, PS2 and PC as well.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to assume that niche players in the handheld market will remain in that market when things look less favourable. You mentioned NIS, Falcom, and Gust, but they've all tried out the DS before. Nintendo's handhelds are facing quite a lot of pressure from mobile, so they may not feel more enticed by the DS' successor when that time rolls about.

Oh, and I'm sure you've all noticed this, but the latest update in Garaph explains that the guy running it (Joshua J Sloane, I think) has lost his passion for sales and GAF at the moment. A little sad, but nice to get an explanation.

sörine

Banned
Perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to assume that niche players in the handheld market will remain in that market when things look less favourable. You mentioned NIS, Falcom, and Gust, but they've all tried out the DS before. Nintendo's handhelds are facing quite a lot of pressure from mobile, so they may not feel more enticed by the DS' successor when that time rolls about.
Gust was the only one who put any effort into building any sort of market on DS. NIS had basically an ancient outsourced Disgaea 1 port and Falcom didn't publish a single DS game.

Shengar

I remember reading that the character artist/designer is actually a hentai artist, is that true?

What? Where did you hear this? I never seen explicit content from Suzuhito Yasuda. Sure his drawing on female boobs is rather.....anti-grativity at most of the time or skimpy here and there, but he never done explicit works as far as I know. He's also the one who did Devil Survivor series, perhaps anyone already quite used to his style.

I heard there was a high likelihood of large breasts in that game. True, or false?

Wait, Suzuhito Yasuda return as the game artist?

QaaQer

If PS4 is another vita in JPN, Nis, Gust, Falcom, etc might cease to be profitable and we would see fewer Japanese games being made that weren't ios/android.

AmanoBuff

Are there Comgnet numbers for other HD remakes (Ico & SoTC, perhaps others) in the same timeframe?

How did other FF remakes opened?

Seems like the PS3 and Vita versions of FF X/X-2 combined might give LR a run for its money. Lol if it opens higher.

Steel

Banned

The one thing that makes me sad here is that even if you add up all the FFX HD remaster points, it's still slightly less than Lightning Returns. Actually on second thought, I could be thinking about this the wrong way. An HD Remaster is keeping pace with an entirely new game.

Mpl90

If PS4 is another vita in JPN, Nis, Gust, Falcom, etc might cease to be profitable and we would see fewer Japanese games being made that weren't ios/android.

And why couldn't they release those games also on Nintendo platform(s), if Sony ones can't be as profitable as in the past anymore? I know the scenario I'm talking about is quite extreme, but Sony's future in the handheld future could take an extreme route (no traditional handheld anymore), so I guess it's not impossible to speak about that in these terms.

it would be glorious, if FFXR opens higher and sells more ltd than LR.

Except the PS4 will be getting all the big third party IP's in Japan from pretty much every developer (SE, Capcom, Konami, Namco, SEGA, Tecmo etc).

it would be glorious, if FFXR opens higher and sells more ltd than LR.

Holy shit pls let this happen.

urfe

In the crazy fluke that the Wii U will sell 100k, I bet then people will say how that was obvious, and Nintendo and Christmas.

Fisico

And why couldn't they release those games also on Nintendo platform(s), if Sony ones can't be as profitable as in the past anymore? I know the scenario I'm talking about is quite extreme, but Sony's future in the handheld future could take an extreme route (no traditional handheld anymore), so I guess it's not impossible to speak about that in these terms.

They already tried in the past on DS, at least both Atelier and Disgaea, maybe the numbers weren't ok for them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting Wii U somewhere between 50k and 70k this week, and I also expect that there's a bigger chance that I will disappointed than pleasantly surprised in that matter

Top Bottom