• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Fularu

Banned
The problem with the above is you are not following the conversation and instead prefer to make stuff up and write based on that.

1. I never said those titles were more popular than MK. Fact.
2. I'm talking about launch window, not lifetime sales. Fact
Why would anyone care about "launch window" sales of MK8 versus those games when MK games sell 5-9% of their life time sales during the first week and all the games you listes sell 70% or more of theirs?

It's a thoroughly stupid comparaison or point to make.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is some backwards logic. When customers are rushing to stores to buy a PS4 and XB1 they are not suddenly going to look at 3D world and buy it.

Please stop being stupid.

A game that outsells a majority of it's consoles library and also sells multiple millions is no longer held back by your ill thought out supposition. The average consumer did not care that it was a port or not, the fact it was a port actually helped it since it sold extremely close to the galaxy games, you know actual new distinctive games.

Your assumption, only works if the fact it was a point would have greatly decreased it's sales. The evidence points otherwise. Regardless what you do you can't spin that into the 3DS version doing worse than the DS 3D Mario counterpart theoretical or not. Saying that a game that sold over 10 million copies was somehow greatly held back by the fact it was port doesn't make sense. 3D Land is already past 8 million. It'll likely great surpass 10 and will sell a fair bit more than galaxy 1. That is not an underperformance by any metric you choose have.

You call someone stupid in an argument like this, it's pointless adds nothing to this argument and is kind of childish.

A game that outsells a majority of it's consoles library and also sells multiple millions is no longer held back by your ill thought out supposition. The average consumer did not care that it was a port or not, the fact it was a port actually helped it since it sold extremely close to the galaxy games, you know actual new distinctive games.

Your assumption, only works if the fact it was a point would have greatly decreased it's sales. The evidence points otherwise.

You call someone stupid in an argument like this, it's pointless adds nothing to this argument and is kind of childish.

Holy shit someone please explain to this guy the difference between what 3D land was to the 3DS and what a Mario 64 port was to the DS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Holy shit someone please explain to this guy the difference between what 3D land was to the 3DS and what a Mario 64 port was to the DS.

You keep saying port. It sold 10 million copies. Does that look like a game that was held back due to being a port. Galaxy only sold 11 million copies and that was new game. Precisely what is your argument?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I read back a few pages to try to figure out what this current debate is about and I still don't get it...

Mantis is trying to say 3D Land underperformed relative to it's predecessor. I say it did not 3D Mario games have never sold much over 12 million and 3D land already close to 9 million is in good stead to beat that by a fair bit if it roughly maintains it's current rate, and should be be selling better relative to 64 DS it's closest predecessor on the DS.

Mantis keep mentioning how 64 is port and so an original game would sell much better when evidences points to that not being thel case all 3D Mario games max out about 11-12 million. 64 DS was most certainly in that ball park selling over 10 million.

watershed

Banned
Mantis is trying to say 3D Land underperformed relative to it's successor. I say it did not 3D Mario games have never sold much over 12 million and 3D land already close to 9 million is in good stead to beat that by a fair bit if it roughly maintains it's current rate, and should be be selling better relative to 64 DS it's closest predecessor on the DS.

They keep mentioning how 64 is port and so an original game would sell much better when evidences points to that not being the all 3D Mario games max out about 11-12 million.

I see, thanks for the summary.

Mantis is trying to say 3D Land underperformed relative to it's predecessor. I say it did not 3D Mario games have never sold much over 12 million and 3D land already close to 9 million is in good stead to beat that by a fair bit if it roughly maintains it's current rate, and should be be selling better relative to 64 DS it's closest predecessor on the DS.

Mantis keep mentioning how 64 is port and so an original game would sell much better when evidences points to that not being thel case all 3D Mario games max out about 11-12 million. 64 DS was most certainly in that ball park selling over 10 million.
I doubt a new "Mario 64" would outsell 3D Land, the DS port probably sold so much because of the high DS userbase.

Neither of the three trackers will drop the numbers this week? Not even leaks?
Someone might leak MC data, but we'll probably have to wait a few days like the previous year.

MK8 is absolutely the biggest bullet the Wii U will fire for the foreseeable future, and getting anywhere near Infamous would be a mistake. Fortunately there are no signs that's in the offing.

It's not that Infamous is going to do anything in Japan, it's that a worldwide launch should be status quo for games this big and making it as huge as possible is necessary for the console.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437311&highlight=infamous+2

Infamous is not a big release, not in the traditional sense of the word. Not in the same breath as Mario Kart.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we know if Dengeki gave any advice about a pause period? If not, maybe they could break the silence...

Steel

Banned
Yep, different game, size, and audience. A very different case from SCEA's blatant stupidity by releasing Tearaway in November, though might be similar to W101 date of release which is near to GTAV in the west if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think Infamous will have any trouble selling decently considering it's releasing on a brand new console with few other options.

Shengar

I don't think Infamous will have any trouble selling decently considering it's releasing on a brand new console with few other options.

No I don't mean that inFamous will have trouble. It wouldn't since it is quite popular Sony IP from last generation, and clealry will steal the fire (pun intended) in March due like you said, lack of choice, at least for PS4 audience. I just draw the comparison horrible release date that make a game sales number horribly, that is Tearaway and W101 (western release).

Sorry if this not allowed, but where is the new thread? I'm really eager to see this week numbers.

Where did I say any of this? Is this all happening in that delusion of yours?

We were simply comparing 3DS iterations compared to their DS counterparts.
We saw some franchises declined (NSMB, MK etc) and some increased like FE.

Simply, any with common sense would see, that 3D land is a new 3d mario for 3ds. It has no counterpart on DS because the DS did not get a brand new 3d mario.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

No doubt but it's a game that will initially sell due to lack of options more than anything else. Long term will obviously be due to quality of the game. But it's not the sorta game that will by itself affect other releases at least not initially.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Where did I say any of this? Is this all happening in that delusion of yours?

We were simply comparing 3DS iterations compared to their DS counterparts.
We saw some franchises declined (NSMB, MK etc) and some increased like FE.

Simply, any with common sense would see, that 3D land is a new 3d mario for 3ds. It has no counterpart on DS because the DS did not get a brand new 3d mario.

There is a closest comparison. It's what you use (taking into account possible errors and assumptions), in regards to analysis of data. Data, is rarely perfect, you use what you have unless it is too erroneous for your uses.

Mario 64 DS performed pretty much like a original 3D Mario game on DS would have performed, using past data, I didn't massively undersell in comparison to other 3D Mario games nor did it greatly oversell. That's why I used it.

DaBoss

I still don't know why we're talking about Infamous lol. I don't know why people think it's going to be some juggernaut anywhere.
Well it is the most exciting game for the PS4 in the launch window. I would say it is the first game worth buying the PS4 for. I didn't like the first Infamous (didn't play the second, though I've read it is good), but Second Son looks like it plays great and it looks really good graphically.
22 pages about sales numbers? Every single week? Why are you doing this? Jesus ...
Maybe you can read the thread to find out why we're doing this? \(o_O)/
Are all the trackers taking a break for New Years?
MC and Famitsu are. I don't think we know about Dengeki, but they're probably taking a break too.

It's just extremely stupid, that's all.

If you don't want to talk about sales numbers, stay away from the thread. You commenting on the thread only keeps it on the front page.

And be careful about the bitching, you don't want to get banned before you lose that junior handle, do you?

There is a closest comparison. It's what you use (taking into account possible errors and assumptions), in regards to analysis of data. Data, is rarely perfect, you use what you have unless it is too erroneous for your uses.

Mario 64 DS performed pretty much like a original 3D Mario game on DS would have performed, using past data, I didn't massively undersell in comparison to other 3D Mario games nor did it greatly oversell. That's why I used it.

There is no comparison to be made as the DS never got a new 3D mario. This is the last time I am going to repeat myself.

Also I love how made this shit up about what I said:

Mantis is trying to say 3D Land underperformed relative to it's predecessor.

Mantis keep mentioning how 64 is port and so an original game would sell much better

Again where did I say the following? Yes I'm calling you out since having discussion when one poster makes shit up is incredibly annoying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There is no comparison to be made as the DS never got a new 3D mario. This is the last time I am going to repeat myself.

Also I love how made this shit up about what I said:

Why? Because one is port? I'm pretty sure anyone in any kind of market would not dismiss a comparison based on that alone. For starters you don't simply dismiss data without proper logical reasoning.

Takao

Banned
A few weeks ago we were discussing whether or not that Xyo site was a legitimate source for phone game numbers, and I have to say I'm not sure. I got curious about how Dokuro was doing on phones so I checked Xyo's pages on the Android and iOS releases:

Android ~2.1k
iOS ~ <1000

Does that really sound like the numbers a Gungho game would do on phones? Those are so horrible that I'm pretty sure it sold better on Vit... wait, the Google Play store says installs are between 50,000 - 100,000?!

About the Mario handheld debate: Principate is the one that is presenting the best case now.
Think was important to point that out since is quite frustrating when a debate reaches "the last word" phase.

Cipherr

A few weeks ago we were discussing whether or not that Xyo site was a legitimate source for phone game numbers, and I have to say I'm not sure. I got curious about how Dokuro was doing on phones so I checked Xyo's pages on the Android and iOS releases:

Android ~2.1k
iOS ~ <1000

Does that really sound like the numbers a Gungho game would do on phones? Those are so horrible that I'm pretty sure it sold better on Vit... wait, the Google Play store says installs are between 50,000 - 100,000?!

Whelp, there goes that sites credibility.

Why? Because one is port? I'm pretty sure anyone in any kind of market would not dismiss a comparison based on that alone. For starters you don't simply dismiss data without proper logical reasoning.

Congratulations!

Say if we want to see how software has fared between platform 2 and 3. Say if I want to see if Franchise A has declined or increased. I compare it's iterations on platform 2 and 3. I don't compare a port of Franchise A from platform 1 and now on platform 2 to a new iteration of franchise A on platform 3.

The only use of SM64 DS sales tells us that a new 3D mario on DS could have performed similarly or better (in Japan): 1.2+ million. Thats is absolutely useless in comparing the decline or incline of franchises since the 3D land has sold 2 million. We reach the conclusion of well it could of done better or worse or the similarly....no shit I could told you that from the beginning.

BTW are you going to reply to the second part of my previous post?

Android ~2.1k
iOS ~ <1000

Whelp, there goes that sites credibility.
I wouldn't say this, they don't update everything at the same time I believe, because Dragon Quest wasn't even on that site while it was released, all other games we compared have been in line.

They actually use the public Google Play Store data, so I suppose it just didn't get an update.

I think it's good that we have such a service (and other companies I found in the meantime), they just aren't perfect currently, it's quite a new business.

Congratulations!

Say if we want to see how software has fared between platform 2 and 3. Say if I want to see if Franchise A has declined or increased. I compare it's iterations on platform 2 and 3. I don't compare a port of Franchise A from platform 1 and now on platform 2 to a new iteration of franchise A on platform 3.

The only use of SM64 DS sales tells us that a new 3D mario on DS could have performed similarly or better (in Japan): 1.2+ million. Thats is absolutely useless in comparing the decline or incline of franchises since the 3D land has sold 2 million. We reach the conclusion of well it could of done better or worse or the similarly....no shit I could told you that from the beginning.

BTW are you going to reply to the second part of my previous post?

are you just hanging around to be an asshole right now

Android ~2.1k
iOS ~ <1000

I'm sure Dokuro could have sold as much on Vita... if it was 89 cents too.:)
But hey, I guess that if you want controls, you have to pay a tax.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still don't know why we're talking about Infamous lol. I don't know why people think it's going to be some juggernaut anywhere.

It's not going to be a juggernaut, but I think you are going to see a lot of PS franchises benefit from the halo effect. Like the 360 last gen where you had a very hardcore base of players buying lots of software, the PS4 will see considerable network effects pushing titles that would normally do eh or OK will do surprisingly well. I look at early 360 examples like Dead Rising, Crackdown, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW, etc. Stuff like that.

So I don't think Infamous is going to come out with a 1MM opening month but it might move from a 300k franchise to a 400k franchise.

Has nothing to do with Japan of course. :)

AmanoBuff

So next week we'll get:

- Just the sales from 23 - 29 Dec?
- Just sales from 30 Dec - 5 Jan?
- Sales from 23 - 29 Dec and 30 Dec - 5 Jan separated?
- Accumulated sales from those two weeks?

Top Bottom