• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

Bruno MB

Top 10 biggest second week sales:

Code:
01. [PSX] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Enix) {2000.08.26} - 1.072.286 / 2.934.351
02. [NDS] Pokémon Black / White (Pokémon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 772.172 / 3.409.457
03. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry King (Square Enix) {2009.07.11} - 602.856 / 2.946.296 
04. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} - 591.025 / 2.687.075
05. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) {2004.11.27} - 559.524 / 2.796.405
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) {2008.03.27} - 552.701 / 1.375.966
07. [B][3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (Level 5) {2014.12.13} - 530.183 / 1.742.101[/B]
08. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 514.198 / 2.660.665
09. [NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokémon Co.) {2009.09.12} - 492.385 / 1.901.365
10. [GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokémon Co.) {2002.11.21} - 471.538 / 1.716.541

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
How? Not a single game release.

Week 1 is usually favourable to Sony consoles, compared to other Holiday weeks.
However, while Media Create numbers (30,000) highlights a console with an important drop, Famitsu shows an insanely awful scenario, with only 21,000 units sold.

Oregano

Sword Art Online sold at least 250k. But games that sell average figures like Sen no Kiseki II, Danganrompa: AE or Poweful Pro Baseball 2014 haven't suffered (in fact they will likely beat their predecessors figures when Media Create top 1000 is released), so it looks like the audience remains and the problem is more with Phantasy Star Nova.

Yeah so it's not bad at all. We will see if PSN is an isolated case next year but there's definitely not enough evidence to suggest the platform is the problem.

monpiece

Banned
With the Wii U, I think a lot of it is the fact that the 3DS is so wildly popular and already had a Mario Kart and a Smash Bros.

It would be really interesting to see what the numbers would be like it there was no 3DS version of Smash specifically.

The results would be as good as the hypothetical results of PS3/PSV games if they were PSV exclusives.

3DS : Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke ( Level 5 ) { 2014-07-10 } - 1,281,096 / 2,978,314
3DS : Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ( Capcom ) { 2014-10-11 } - 1,617,949 / 2,300,522
3DS : Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire ( Pokemon Co. ) { 2014-11-21 } - 1,534,593 / 2,174,087
3DS : Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ( Nintendo ) { 2014-09-13 } - 987,239 / 1,886,889
3DS : Yo-kai Watch 2: Shinuchi ( Level 5 ) { 2014-12-13 } - 1,211,918 / 1.742.101

5 multi million sellers in 2014? Only one week left.

ibtDbeUk56KTUp.gif

SSB is already there, Nintendo shipped 2m. YW2.5 should be there as well.

Top 10 biggest second week sales:

Code:
01. [PSX] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Enix) {2000.08.26} - 1.072.286 / 2.934.351
02. [NDS] Pokémon Black / White (Pokémon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 772.172 / 3.409.457
03. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry King (Square Enix) {2009.07.11} - 602.856 / 2.946.296 
04. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} - 591.025 / 2.687.075
05. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) {2004.11.27} - 559.524 / 2.796.405
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) {2008.03.27} - 552.701 / 1.375.966
07. [B][3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} - 530.183 / 1.742.101[/B]
08. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 514.198 / 2.660.665
09. [NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokémon Co.) {2009.09.12} - 492.385 / 1.901.365
10. [GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokémon Co.) {2002.11.21} - 471.538 / 1.716.541

Welp.

TheChaos0

What's the deal with Phantasy Star Nova? Bad timing? Lack of interest? Sega's incompetence??

It's a PSO2 only you have to pay to get it. At least this is how I imagine people seeing it. Don't think SEGA did enough to differentiate it from PSO2 or other hunting games that are already on the platform.

It's not like Vita can't support this kind of title.

test_account

XP-39C²
GTA V (PS3+PS4) - 900k+

When's the last time a Western IP sold a million in Japan.

Crash Bandicoot?
How much has GTA5 sold on PS3?

PS4 a sharp decline, despite all the goodwill from 3rd party devs, it really seems that they really like to hurt themselves.
I dont think they have many other and better choices if they want to make console games though. Several of the bigger titles that are depending primarily on sales in Japan seems to be multiplatform as well, like 'Yakuza 0' and 'Dragon Quest Heroes' (maybe i'm forgetting some titles). Its probably not a good business to stay on an older platform for a very, very long time, so they have to move on at some point.

Road

But what's the reason for that? xD

Week 1 is when kids are given New Year's money (Otoshidama), so they get to spend it buying the video games they actually want. As such, Sony systems see a boost that week.

Wee 51/52 is when parents are buying video games for their kids, so they just assume they want Nintendo.

I know because I'm an expert.

ash_ag

They can't be that mad about FFEX. It's got one of the better debuts for a multiplayer action game this gen and next week is a big holiday week too. It's also quite evidently low budget with big performance issues.

It debuted lower than both God Eater 2 and Freedom Wars, and it barely surpassed Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden (Vita). All four of these are on Vita -- a significantly weaker platform (which, admittedly, lacks Monster Hunter though) and without Final Fantasy's brand recognition.

PhantaHunter fans are obviously critical enough to judge how unpolished the game is, but the opportunity cost of going through making something like Final Fantasy Explorers is quite high, and I doubt they are very happy with the fact that it didn't reach at least 200k, even with their minimal effort. A 'G' version is a good chance to not miss the opportunity of a successful Action FF subseries, but there's a lot of work they have to do.

It debuted lower than both God Eater 2 and Freedom Wars, and it barely surpassed Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden (Vita). All four of these are on Vita -- a significantly weaker platform (which, admittedly, lacks Monster Hunter though) and without Final Fantasy's brand recognition.

PhantaHunter fans are obviously critical enough to judge how unpolished the game is, but the opportunity cost of going through making something like Final Fantasy Explorers is quite high, and I doubt they are very happy with the fact that it didn't reach at least 200k, even with their minimal effort. A 'G' version is a good chance to not miss the opportunity of a successful Action FF subseries, but there's a lot of work they have to do.

Barely?

SS opened with 105k units.

How much has GTA5 sold on PS3?

I dont think they have many other and better choices if they want to make console games though. Several of the bigger titles that are depending primarily on sales in Japan seems to be multiplatform as well, like 'Yakuza 0' and 'Dragon Quest Heroes' (maybe i'm forgetting some titles). Its probably not a good business to stay on an older platform for a very, very long time, so they have to move on at some point.

804k.

E-phonk

Banned
It's [WiiU] lifetime sales won't get past 3 million.

That's less than 900.000 in 2015-2016-2017 or 6000/week on average (8600 if you want to cut it short to two years instead of 3). It will get there.

Remember WiiU is more expensive this christmas season compared to last year. If they can produce a new batch of wiiu's at a cheaper price in 2015 (when the stock of original launch wiiu's should be sold-through) and it get's a pricecut it will get there easily.

Now 4 million is a different question. It might not make it there.

sörine

Banned
Great first week for FFE.

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) 1,875,115
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) 1,617,949
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) 471,055
God Eater 2 (PSV) 258,856
Freedom Wars (PSV) 187,890
Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS) 163,844
Toukiden: Age of Demons (PSV) 127,744
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (WU) 110,149
Phantasy Star Nova (PSV) 107,638
Soul Sacrifice (PSV) 105,863
Toukiden Extreme (PSV) 100,073

kingkaiser

I have been asking myself...what exactly does this "Honke" in the Youkai Watch title mean?
It sounds like something Special Officer Doofy or Hodor would use to say and it makes me smile everytime because of that. ;-))

ash_ag

Barely?

SS opened with 105k units.

Well, sure. My point is that the game had the potential to debut at 500K+. They shouldn't have released something that can't presume upon that potential. To be clear, I'm not saying that the audience didn't respond as expected -- this is Square Enix's fault.

Spiegel

FF:Explorers getting that Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce/Multi Raid effect.

Let's hope it won't follow the same path.

Well, sure. My point is that the game had the potential to debut at 500K+. They shouldn't have released something that can't presume upon that potential. To be clear, I'm not saying that the audience didn't respond as expected -- this is Square Enix's fault.

500k+ FW? No way.

Only Type-0, Dissidia and Tactics could do that, among FF spin-offs. Explorers is nowhere close to those projects in terms of expectations.

Oregano

God Eater is a massive brand within the genre though and the FF brand recognition isn't a silver bullet any more. Also games on the 3DS tend to have relatively longer legs than Vita games due to the bigger install base. The game won't be done selling.

You are right they have a lot of work to do. They are giving players the Blue Mage job and Gilgamesh as a boss this week as Free DLC which is a good start and will keep players interested. If they do a G version they should definitely make it available as DLC ala Bravely Default: For the Sequel and if possible include performance upgrades for New 3DS players.

I think the game's performance can be summed up as solid if unspectacular.

EDIT:

WTF? That would require a much, much bigger budget and the risks are much higher. It wouldn't have been greenlit in the first place.

Spiegel

500k+ FW? No way.

Only Type-0, Dissidia and Tactics could do that, among FF spin-offs. Explorers is nowhere close to those projects in terms of expectations.

Yeah, a big budget FF MH clone had the potential to do those numbers. This low budget thing that S-E released did not.

As I've said previously, I'm almost sure that a DQ MH with the same ugly graphics and low budget could have sold 500k in the first week.

ash_ag

500k+ FW? No way.

You're suggesting a Final Fantasy-branded action game targeted towards the Monster Hunter crowd and released on 3DS couldn't debut at 500k? Agree to disagree. Like I said, I'm not talking about their expectations, but for what a project like this could do if well-executed.

Type-0, Dissidia and Tactics are well-made Final Fantasy spin-offs -- this could be a totally different beast.

WTF? That would require a much, much bigger budget and the risks are much higher. It wouldn't have been greenlit in the first place.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be greenlit. The people that made Crystal Chronicles are still in Square Enix -- a good creative team could be arranged, and the target audience is really big. Yes, a bigger budget would be required, but the performance would also be much better, and so would the future potential.

In my opinion, FFEx shouldn't exist in its current form. They are wasting a potentially grand sub-series' debut with an insufficient outing.

Oregano

Yeah, a big budget FF MH clone had the potential to do those numbers. This low budget thing that S-E released did not.

As I've said previously, I'm almost sure that a DQ MH with the same ugly graphics and low budget could have sold 500k in the first week.

SE just doesn't do high budget portable games any more. I'd even say KH:DDD and the DQ Monsters remakes are notably lower budget than BBS and the Jokers games.

You are probably right about DQ though. The 3DS userbase seems very receptive to DQ games even if they are notably rough looking.
Except Slime Morimori 3

New 3DS - 1,080,914

Good stuff.

MH4U hits 2.4 million, including digital sales!

MH4+MH4U = 6,230,923
yzHh5KZ.gif

Smash 3DS+Wii U officially the best selling game in the series:

Smash 3DS + Wii U = 2,472,008
Smash Brawl = 2,303,103
How does that compare to PSP version? 6.2 mil is amazing.

And go Smash.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Pretty good legs for a Toad.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wii U is way down YOY even with Smash. Next year might get ugly.
It already got ugly. But yeah next year is going to be horrible for Wii U in Japan.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Amiibo weren't enough to avoid a large year-over-year decline from 2013, and 2013's numbers were already terrible to begin with. They already pulled out the big guns. I don't know what else they can possibly do.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It already got ugly. But yeah next year is going to be horrible for Wii U in Japan.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Amiibo weren't enough to avoid a large year-over-year decline from 2013, and 2013's numbers were already terrible to begin with. They already pulled out the big guns. I don't know what else they can possibly do.
Offering a 20k yen WiiU would be a start and I'm sure that it'll happen next year with the redesign.

Oregano

I see no reason why it wouldn't be greenlit. The people that made Crystal Chronicles are still in Square Enix -- a good creative could be arranged, and the target audience is really big. Yes, a bigger budget would be required, but the performance would also be much better, and so would the future potential.

In my opinion, FFEx shouldn't exist in its current form. They are wasting a potentially grand sub-series' debut with an insufficient outing.

SE just isn't interested in big budget portable projects any more, Type Zero was the last. The Crystal Chronicles team has also moved onto new projects, some of which are much more important and as much as I love those games the sales declined heavily and they had their fair share of performance issues.

FFEx was likely greenlit only on the basis that it had a small team who wasn't tied up with other projects.

Thorgal

How come PSP is still being tracked when it only sells 5-10 a week ?

I remember they stopped counting nds and PS2 a while ago eventhough they still sold 100 -1000 of units iirc.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter but it just occurred to me .

Darius

Banned
As if Phantasy Star Nova performance depended only on Sony lack of 1st party announcements in the pre-TGS conference. You take one specific case and generalize to doom and gloom over Vita. Yet, you complain about the doom and gloom over 3DS when people do the same.

What are you even trying to insinuate? Just compare the actual sales of these two systems, there is a huge difference in actual market viability. Saying 3DS Japanese sales are bad is just dishonest at best, considering it is outperforming the Playstation 2.

test_account" said:

They are basically just splitting sales to more systems, with added development and production costs to boot. Especially in Japan a recent example is Samurai Chronicle Warriors 3 and it´s even more apparent when it´s on the same company "familysytems" environment, where the overlap of the audience is likely even more apparent. In general not a weird thing to do, but when it´s in favour of such bad selling systems, there really is no real advantage for the publishers themselves right now, when it comes to software specifically aimed for the local market.

Mr Swine

Banned
Very nice numbers for 3DS! But that's the only console that has very good sales this week. I guess that Vita sales will drop more next week since there isn't a game like FF to boost sales :/

I have a bad feeling that Wii U won't even do 350k next year, that's if Nintendo doesn't cut the price before Xmas :/

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Does anyone have a Media-Create LTD of the top selling Wii U games thus far? Only one million seller correct?

I wonder where MK8 and SSMBU will end up.

Oregano

Also for interest here is the debut of Square Enix's last Hunting Action game and it's predecessor on the PSP(king of the hunting action genre):

19./00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) - 28.742 / NEW

03. / 00. [PSP] Lord of Arcana (Square Enix) - 69.932 / NEW

Apocalypse was released on the PSP as well but I couldn't find the number for that(it was lower than the Vita version).

Bahamut was also a boss in those games!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Offering a 20k yen WiiU would be a start and I'm sure that it'll happen next year with the redesign.
I'm skeptical that there will even be a redesign. But regardless, if all Nintendo's big name franchises can't sell the thing, I don't see how a hardware redesign or a price drop can make that much of a difference. Maybe we should add those to the chalkboard lol.

I think Nintendo will just ride it out this generation. Wii U will be by far their worst selling console but it will probably still turn a profit. Heck, it could be the most profitable console this generation.

L~A

Chances of a redesign are extremely low. Nintendo doesn't want to lose any more money, and they know there's really nothing they could do on the Japanese market for the Wii U.

Introducing a new redesign wouldn't really have any real impact. What the Wii U needs is games, and unfortunately, there's only so much they can do in that regard.

Top Bottom