• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2014 (Feb 03 - Feb 09)

[WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥5.985)

dk2_zps7b09a3a8.png

Lol at the kid with the Kranky Kong's beard!

Unless people buy PS4 without software I wouldn't expect big things for hardware after launch.

Actually that would be nothing unprecedented, hardware selling better than software - especially at launch - is something that's happened before.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man that DK TF boxart is wonderful - japanese WiiU owners dont know what they are missing.

dolemite

The faster Nintendo moves away from the Wii_XXX franchises the better. The casuals have truly moved on and not coming back. With the poor WiiU performance, it looks like they even managed to alienate their Gamecube level fans.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The faster Nintendo moves away from the Wii_XXX franchises the better. The casuals have truly moved on and not coming back. With the poor WiiU performance, it looks like they even managed to alienate their Gamecube level fans.

It makes sense - the Cube was cheap and powerful, no the attributes you would use to subscribe WiiU. Though the 3DS is attracting way more potential WiiU owners then the GBA did ever for Cube looking at the lineup and style of games available .

jeremy1456

PS3 bombed pretty hard and third party eventually came, of all systems, the PS4's fate has got to be the easiest to predict, where else are big third party console games gonna go?

Oh actually Xbone's fate is easier to predict.

Vita is also pretty easy to predict, as far as Japanese sales go.

I think we can estimate how PS4 will sell depending on how Ishin will sell.

If Ishin sold 80K FW and end up selling to 30% (really don't see it selling to less than thatt) of the system owners, this mean the system could sell about 260k FW.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vita is also pretty easy to predict, as far as Japanese sales go.
What is the prediction?

I think we can estimate how PS4 will sell depending on how Ishin will sell.

If Ishin sold 80K FW and end up selling to 30% (really don't see it selling to less than thatt) of the system owners, this mean the system could sell about 260k FW.
We will get the first week numbers at the same day though, both for Yakuza Ishin and PS4. Or there might be a small chance that we get the PS4 hardware numbers before the software numbers.

We will get the first week numbers at the same day though, both for Yakuza Ishin and PS4. Or there might be a small chance that we get the PS4 hardware numbers before the software numbers.

I know i'm trying to estimate a range for HW sales.

For example RR5 sold 230K on install base of 630k (sold to 36%)

RR7 sold 30k on install base of 88k (sold to 34%)

Going by the above i can see the PS4 doing 250-300k FW.

I can't avoid to think at all the incredibly funny jokes about snow storm the thread will be filled of when DK numbers will hit...
The heat wave ones lasted so long...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Anyone who thinks that the PS4 is going to do WiiU levels is going to be in for a shock.

Two kinds of people will be in for a shock next weeks.

Those who believe Tropical Freeze will show "it's a Nintendo title" legs.
Those who believe PS4 will show "it will keep selling just because" legs.

Westlo

Unrealistic expectations. All big Japanese franchises that are not on Nintendo consoles are weaker than ever (FF, MG) so I don't see how the ps4 will outdo the ps3, even considering ps3' initial price disadvantage.

Saying stuff that isn't on Nintendo consoles are weaker than ever is kinda misleading considering the massive drop off of Nintendo mainline games on the WIi U. Everything is in freefall except a couple of franchises on the 3ds.

noobie

Banned
Mario Kart 8 preorders opened after ND and it has a typical 15% discount. So much excitement for nothing.

LTD sales targets from publishers

[PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.600) - 350k
[PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.600) - 150k
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190) - 150k
[PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980) - 100k
[PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.245) - 70k
[PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Creation <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.240) - 50k
[PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥4.800) - 30k
[PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥8.820) - 30k
[PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665) - 30k
[PS4] NBA 2K14 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090) - 20k
[PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665) - 15k
[PS4] Need for Speed: &#8203;&#8203;Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665) - 10k

If take the sum of LTD of all PS4 software its 655K. and multiple it by 0.6 (meaning 60% sales of the total sales are in the first week) and then divide it by 1.5 ( number of games bought with each system). it comes out to be 262.

So its
Total LTD sales = 655k
60% of that for first week sales = 393k
Divide by 1.5 (for first week attach rate) = 262k.

So Sony is probably expecting 250k first week PS4 sales

I dont have first week sales of the launch titles to the total sales. But for normal launch title sales in Japan i think its normally 60 - 70% on PS3.
Similarly i dont have average attach rate for the first week in Japan either.. But i think PS4 American launch week attach rate was around 1.5 or maybe i m wrong

hiska-kun

Weekend is over in Japan.

Donkey Kong at Yodobashi: http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/stock/100000001002095566/index.html

what kinda sell through bomba :lol

On the other hand, that random train game seems to have sold really well. 3DS its power.

Well, not over yet. It's 21:54. Bic Camera it's open until 22:00, Tsutaya until 23:00. So still a few hours for Donkey Kong selling like crazy lol

About Toushintoshi, was in stock today when i visited the shop.

Bruno MB

If take the sum of LTD of all PS4 software its 655K. and multiple it by 0.6 (meaning 60% sales of the total sales are in the first week) and then divide it by 1.5 ( number of games bought with each system). it comes out to be 262.

So its
Total LTD sales = 655k
60% of that for first week sales = 393k
Divide by 1.5 (for first week attach rate) = 262k.

So Sony is probably expecting 250k first week PS4 sales

I dont have first week sales of the launch titles to the total sales. But for normal launch title sales in Japan i think its normally 60 - 70% on PS3.
Similarly i dont have average attach rate for the first week in Japan either.. But i think PS4 American launch week attach rate was around 1.5 or maybe i m wrong

Launch games with the exception of the biggest launch title (in this case Yakuza: Isshin!) generally have a very low sell-through rate. None of these titles will make 60% of their lifetime sales in the first week.

PS3 launch week:

Hardware - 88.443

Software - 87.047

Ridge Racer 7 - 30.318 <37%> --- LTD 149.648 (20,3% of its total sales in the first week)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire - 30.051 <32%> --- LTD 146.199 (20,6% of its total sales in the first week)
Resistance: Fall of Man - 15.741 <37,7%> --- LTD 136.492 (11,5% of its total sales in the first week)
Genji: Days of the Blade - 9.543 <19,6%> --- LTD 53.780 (17,7% of its total sales in the first week)
Miyazato San Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club - 1.394 <11,2%> --- LTD 13.978 (10% of its total sales in the first week)

It was restocked at every Yodobashi store, but we are probably talking about a couple hundred of copies.

Dengeki Week 6: 2,767 / 23,640

It's sold out on Amazon, new shipment on Feb 26. (lol) Imageepoch better collect some digital coins.

I'm guessing this is good for them, they're selling, they just aren't shipping much for some reason. Is this on eShop?

noobie

Banned
Launch games with the exception of the biggest launch title (in this case Yakuza: Isshin!) generally have a very low sell-through rate. None of these titles will make 60% of their lifetime sales in the first week.

If i reduce the sell-through, then it means first week sales are going to be pretty low or attach rate will be less then 1.

At attach rate 1.5
FW PS4 with Avg 40% FW sales of LT sales = 175k
FW PS4 with Avg 30% FW sales of LT sales = 130k

At attach rate 1.2
FW PS4 with Avg 40% FW sales of LT sales = 220k
FW PS4 with Avg 30% FW sales of LT sales = 165k

At attach rate 1.0
FW PS4 with Avg 40% FW sales of LT sales = 260k
FW PS4 with Avg 30% FW sales of LT sales =195k

At attach rate 0.8
FW PS4 with Avg 40% FW sales of LT sales = 327k
FW PS4 with Avg 30% FW sales of LT sales = 245k

I haven't a clue what PS4 will sell tbh. I didn't expect them to come out the gate so strong, ~7 million next gen consoles in 1.5 months wasn't a common prediction.

WW PS4 lineup is not bad.

COD,BF,AC,FIFA are pretty much the biggest franchises in the west, each one of them sell 10m+ per mainline installment.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know i'm trying to estimate a range for HW sales.

For example RR5 sold 230K on install base of 630k (sold to 36%)

RR7 sold 30k on install base of 88k (sold to 34%)

Going by the above i can see the PS4 doing 250-300k FW.
Oh, like that, i understand. Hard to say how much the PS4 version of Ishin will sell, especially when a PS3 version also excist.

PS4 can fall back on third party multiplatforms in the west, not so much in Japan.
There it can fall back on the exclusives instead ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I suspect PS4 will quickly fall off as many here predict- I'm just a bit wary because frankly I was never that impressed with the PS4 launch lineup in the West and its selling phenomenally.

I suspect PS4 will quickly fall off as many here predict- I'm just a bit wary because frankly I was never that impressed with the PS4 launch lineup in the West and its selling phenomenally.
At best it'll be PS3 levels, people aren't gonna be buying it for months and months without software, Japan doesn't give a shit about graphics the way the west does and there's nothing like third party multiplatforms that sell consoles in the west, PS3 struggled until the revision and FFXIII came out, unless third parties step up to the plate, what is gonna sell it exactly?

Also "phenomenally" is a bit much, last gen lasted way longer than it did and with the Wii U flop, everyone was craving for next-gen.

Bruno MB

And a lot of those franchises are 100-200k sellers in Japan.

Was it bundled with console ? Because that's a lot of copies sold for shooter in Japan.

It wasn't bundled in Japan.

It sold well because there weren't too many games to choose from, its sequels sold way worse.

Yes that will sell the vast majority of that on PS3.

Like the ports which were supposed to do nothing on Vita due to everyone having psp or ps3 ?

Or more like people not buying ps4/xbone versions of games in west because they have previous gen machine ?

I'm expecting that x360 crowd and ps3 owners buying western games will be majority of early ps4 buyers and we will see shift almost as fast as we see in USA/UK

test_account

XP-39C²
Also "phenomenally" is a bit much, last gen lasted way longer than it did and with the Wii U flop, everyone was craving for next-gen.
It seems to be selling out almost everywhere though, it cant really do much better than that. Hard to say where the ceiling is when its supply constrained.

maxiell

Surprised at the pessimism on the PS4. I think Deep Down will be a pretty big title for it in Japan down the road, and the launch enthusiasm should hold it for most of the year without much in the way of major Japanese releases.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
DQ didn't do much for 3DS sales

No real reason why it should with how long the 3ds has been out along with folks that own multiple at this point... lol

If anything some of the numbers came from the one packed with the special white 3DS LL though.

antibolo

Banned
I don't think the PS4 will sell a lot at launch. Unlike the strange phenomenon that happened in most of the rest of the world, I don't believe that the Japanese consumer will buy a console that doesn't have any must-have games yet. The launch lineup doesn't have any system sellers (that Yakuza game is also going to be on PS3), and it'll be a while before any pop up.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

PS4 launch lineup in the West was consisted of multiplatform multimillion western sellers.

PS4 launch lineup in Japan is consisted of (at least 2 months late ports) multiplatform western sellers with only one 'big' multiplatform Japanese title that will have the majority of its sales on PS3.

There isn't any comparison and history has showed many times what the future of a console with anemic software will be. Until it starts having a steady flow of relevant releases we know how it'll sell once launch hype dies after first weeks.

Unless Deep Down becomes the next Minecraft, it will be pretty irrelevant.
We also saw for how long "launch enthusiasm" worked for PSV. Two weeks to be precise.

1 week that wasn't really that great.

Hellraider

Surprised at the pessimism on the PS4. I think Deep Down will be a pretty big title for it in Japan down the road, and the launch enthusiasm should hold it for most of the year without much in the way of major Japanese releases.

Unless Deep Down becomes the next Minecraft, it will be pretty irrelevant.
We also saw for how long "launch enthusiasm" worked for PSV. Two weeks to be precise.

schuelma

PS4 launch lineup in the West was consisted of multiplatform multimillion western sellers.

PS4 launch lineup in Japan is consisted of (at least 2 months late ports) multiplatform western sellers with only one 'big' multiplatform Japanese title that will have the majority of its sales on PS3.

There isn't any comparison and history has showed many times what the future of a console with anemic software will be. Until it starts having a steady flow of relevant releases we know how it'll sell once launch hype dies after first weeks.

Intellectually I know you are correct- just a bit wary because IMO PS4 is outselling its software power in the West. I

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Intellectually I know you are correct- just a bit wary because IMO PS4 is outselling its software power in the West. I
Well the PS4 did have notably enhanced versions of four of the industry's top six third party series and a target audience that would care about that.

If the PS4's launch lineup in Japan was cross gen versions of RE7, FFXV, Yakuza 6, and MGS5: TPP I would be pretty optimistic.

schuelma

Well the PS4 did have notably enhanced versions of four of the industry's top six third party series and a target audience that would care about that.

If the PS4's launch lineup in Japan was cross gen versions of RE7, FFXV, Yakuza 6, and MGS5: TPP I would be pretty optimistic.

True- I thought those titles also being available on PS360 as well as XB1 would lessen that impact. I think what happened is there was a definite market for a new system, and Sony has taken most of that market.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
True- I thought those titles also being available on PS360 as well as XB1 would lessen that impact. I think what happened is there was a definite market for a new system, and Sony has taken most of that market.

Microsoft had a chance only in US and UK. With the pricing of XB1 they put themselves out of the game in these 2 countries.

BlackJace

I disagree. COD, AssCreed, NFS, BF4, Sports, etc. are some of the biggest western titles available. I'd argue that its selling in line with the software behind it.

I dunno about that, CoD/FIFA/Assassin's Creed/Battlefield/Madden (in America) is exactly what always tops the charts in the west anyway, and they were all there at the start or soon after
on the other hand, what's the best console sellers in Japan anyway? (...)

edit: isn't it like FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and MGS4 for top 3?

Top Bottom