• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

Scum

sörine;101716919 said:
And on Super Famicom. Super Mario Kart shipped 3.82 million in Japan.

MK7 also isn't done selling, it did 250k still in 2013. Even Mario Kart 64 shipped 1.92 million despite the low N64 hardware audience.

Chris1964 said:
25./34. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
:3

Loris146

first day sellthrough

[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory - 40-50%
[PS3] Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi [Limited Edition] - 50-60%
[PSV] Chou no Doku: Hana no Kusari - Taishou Tsuyakoi Ibun < 50%

Shipment of PS4 will be 350k at most

350k? Not bad i suppose.

350K sounds appropriate for PS4.

What's the point of citing Mario Kart console sales from over a decade ago?
The franchise sold less in Japan on the Wii than NSMB, and the latter would have struggled to exceed much more than 700K on the Wii U in absence of bundling.

Mory Dunz

I actually wonder how much The Last Remant would sell if it came out on PS3, or if it's just people venting their anger, but wouldn't buy it.

As for Hyrule Warriors, I'm not surprised it's that high. It actually had a good amount of hype after that first trailer. So I was really dissapointed when the last ND didn't show anything for it. Especially for a "Summer" title. (Yea right. Might September 21 haha).

They should've shown anything, just to keep interest.

sörine

Banned
350K sounds appropriate for PS4.

What's the point of citing Mario Kart console sales from over a decade ago?
The franchise sold less in Japan on the Wii than NSMB, and the latter would have struggled to exceed much more than 700K on the Wii U in absence of bundling.
Well my point was in in correcting misinformation. It wasn't just Wii and DS where MK was bigger than FF. Don't read more into it than that, I'll be surprised if MK8 clears a million much less outsells FFXV. FFXV will definitely undersell MK7 though.

ethomaz

Banned
first day sellthrough

[PS3] Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi [Limited Edition] - 50-60%

Low shipment for PS4... any PS4 game sellthrough?

Hypereides

Gold Member
first day sellthrough

That's a ridiculously low amount for a electronic device launch. Especially for a nation the 'size' of Japan.

Could go both ways: either the PS4 underperforms demand (misread the market), or meets and exceeds the markets demands.

Personally I believe, this 350K amount seems like a test of fertility for the japanese market. Testing how "hot" the water really is, and what they're gonna do about it.

If the PS4 proves to be way more geographically popular in the japanese region than expected, they might re-regulate the channel of shipment to that market.

350k initial shipment is actually pretty good considering the worldwide supply situation. Now let's see if they can get rid of it as quickly as everywhere else.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
350k sounds ok, but not fantastic in any way. Next week will be exciting. It should be sold out.

Absolutely horrendous Tropical Freeze sales although I predicted 25k I thought it might surprise me with 50k or something. This console needs killed off as soon as they have gotten out whatever games they currently have in development for it.

I expect Iwata to heavily price cut WiiU in time for MK8 in an effort to save face and at least pass Dreamcast WW sales...

In terms of PS4, 350k is much less than I expected, I thought Sony would have at least 500k+ for Japan since they made them wait an extra three months.

What do you guys think the baseline sales for PS4 will be once the launch hype is over and it's always in stock ?. I'm thinking 40k per week for a healthy home console in Japan ?.

Loris146

Absolutely horrendous Tropical Freeze sales although I predicted 25k I thought it might surprise me with 50k or something. This console needs killed off as soon as they have gotten whatever games they currently have in development for it.

I expect Iwata to heavily price cut WiiU in time for MK8 in an effort to save face and at least pass Dreamcast WW sales...

In terms of PS4, 350k is much less than I expected, I thought Sony would have at least 500k+ for Japan since they made them wait and extra three months.

What do you guess think the baseline sales for PS4 will be once the launch hype is over and it's always in stock ?. I'm thinking 40k per week for a healthy home console in Japan ?.

No way.

NeonZ

I really don't think he's worried about "saving face". If that won't really save the console, it'd just cost Nintendo money for no reason.

seriously, ever since that heat wave comment, any mentions of terrible weather impacting sales (even from NPD/Media Create/etc.) is met with derision

you guys should stop running memes into the ground when not applicable

I really don't think he's worried about "saving face". If that won't really save the console, it'd just cost Nintendo money for no reason.

There is still another financial meeting between now and MK8's launch and it's the big one. I really don't understand how the console can still be losing money tbh. In simple terms it's PS360 level hardware with a cheap 6" tablet screen. Did he actually say in the last quarterly meeting that WiiU is still losing money on each unit sold ?.

Iwata could just bundle MK8 from the start and keep the price the same I suppose, it's the last game that can possibly have any significant effect on hardware sales so he might aswell try something !

Iwata could just bundle MK8 from the start and keep the price the same I suppose, it's the last game that can possibly have any significant effect on hardware sales so he might aswell try something !

Then it's a bad idea to bundle it if they can sell it full price just like Super Mario 3D World (only UK had a bundle).

Then it's a bad idea to bundle it if they can sell it full price just like Super Mario 3D World (only UK had a bundle).

I think a MK8 WiiU bundle would be extremely popular, esp at $250 or the Japanese equivalent. I just don't see the game doing much better than WW HD tbh if they don't bundle it or price cut the system when it launches. Consumers simply don't think the system is worth $300, it's been proven time and time again outside of the Xmas period, esp now they see PS4 having almost every third party game and it being ~10x as powerful for only $100 more...

If Iwata's plan is to simply let WiiU rot in the marketplace at it's current price with it's current release schedule then he really might aswell just stop building more of them and move Zelda and whatever other 2015 games they have in development onto the next system as late 2015 launch games. Release 'definitive' versions of 3D World, MK8 and Smash on it at launch aswell to help with any droughts.

FiggyCal

Banned
What are the chances that we will get PS4 sales on Monday by the trackers and before Monday by Sony?

Before monday from Sony? I think that would depend if they sold out or not. But I doubt that they'll sell out in 2 days. More likely that they'd wait to reveal the total February numbers early next month.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.02.27}

[3DS] Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking The New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Anpanman to Asobo: New Aiueo Kyoushitsu <EDU> (Agatsuma Entertainment) (¥4.980)

[PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥10.290)
[PSV] Kagero: Darkside Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Kagero: Darkside Princess [Premium Box] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.240)
[PSV] Valhalla Knights 3: Gold <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥5.229)
[PSV] Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds <FTG> (5pb.) (¥5.040)
[PSV] New Little King's Story (Konami the Best) <RPG> (Konami) (¥2.940)

[PSP] Bakumatsu Rock <ADV> (Marvelous AQL) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Katen no Hana: Yume Akari <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Katen no Hana & Katen no Hana: Yume Akari - Twin Pack # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.290)
[PSP] Katen no Hana & Katen no Hana: Yume Akari - Twin Pack [Treasure Box] <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.440)
[PSP] Satomi Hakkenden: Hachi Tamanoki # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.300)
[PSP] Satomi Hakkenden: Hachi Tamanoki [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] Iza, Shutshjin! Koisen Dai-ni-maku - Kai-Hen # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Iza, Shutshjin! Koisen Dai-ni-maku - Kai-Hen [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (Asgard) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Iza, Shutshjin! Koisen Dai-ni-maku - Echigo-Hen # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Iza, Shutshjin! Koisen Dai-ni-maku - Echigo-Hen [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (Asgard) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Taishou Moebius Line Portable <ADV> (HuneX) (¥6.825)
[PSP] Shiei no Sona-Nyl Refrain: What a Beautiful Memories <ADV> (Liar Soft) (¥6.720)

[PS3] Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥10.290)
[PS3] Kagero: Darkside Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Kagero: Darkside Princess [Premium Box] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.290)
[PS3] Sakigake!! Otokojuku - Nihon yo, Kore ga Otoko Dearu! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.480)
[PS3] Sakigake!! Otokojuku - Nihon yo, Kore ga Otoko Dearu! [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥14.980)
[PS3] Sengoku Hime 4: Souha Hyakkei, Hanamoru Chikai # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Sengoku Hime 4: Souha Hyakkei, Hanamoru Chikai [Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.975)
[PS3] Far Cry 3 (Ubi the Best) <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥3.129)

[360] Shiei no Sona-Nyl Refrain: What a Beautiful Memories <ADV> (Liar Soft) (¥6.720)

Hellraider

Since snow is a big reason for DK sales we should see great holds next weeks, right?

No,no you don't get it. Next week won't be anything special. Same for the whole March probably. BUT, when April comes sales will explode. Those warm, spring days will make every single japanese thirsty for DK especially now that it has a cold-winter setting.

Until late July of course when the heatwaves will again occur and no matter how much they would want to play it, it would be impossible to go outside and buy it. But no need to worry. Sales in autumn will be great!

It's all about the legs after all!

Why are you so pressed?

I am simply correcting the poster who thinks MK8 has a chance in outselling FFXV. If have anything useful to add to the discussion please do.

I dont expect MK8 to sell more either, but i have to say that Mario U wasnt just given for free. Thats a misconception some people have. The Mario/party bundle is 2k yen more expensive and the Wii fit is 4k yen more expensive. Since those are digital games, its very possible that Nintendo is gaining money from it (specially since its not like mario would sell much more).

Next month Nintendo is going to release another sku with a new remocon and Wii sports and that one will be given for free, since it will be 30k yen. In Mario case, its like anyy new copie of it is 1000 yen.

And about MK8. No way its going to sell more than FF15 unless final fantasy really underperform in the long run and MK have really nice legs. Not that i think its going to be a bad seller, but lets have some reasonable expectations. Just because 3D world outperformed Lightning returns does not make MK8 > FF15 a possibilty.

NSMBU gained an extra 450k sales or so after the bundling. 2k yen extra for NSMBU, Wii Party U and Wii Fit U and some extra wiimote. Essentially they were offered at insanely low prices. Not saying those sales don't count but you have to take that into consideration.

Yeah there is no way MK8 will outsell FFXV.

350k for PS4 seems normal but I expected more.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create said it appears sales of Saturday and Sunday were affected from heavy snow, in places such as in Tohoku and Kanto-Koshinetsu, and there is also a need to take a look a little more at sales in the long span.

It doesn't mean sales will explode next week or it was such an important reason for low opening sales. I mean how many sales were lost even if that's the case? 5-10k?

Kid Ying

I am simply correcting the poster who thinks MK8 has a chance in outselling FFXV. If have anything useful to add to the discussion please do.

NSMBU gained an extra 450k sales or so after the bundling. 2k yen extra for NSMBU, Wii Party U and Wii Fit U and some extra wiimote. Essentially they were offered at insanely low prices. Not saying those sales don't count but you have to take that into consideration.

Yeah there is no way MK8 will outsell FFXV.

350k for PS4 seems normal but I expected more.
I've just saíd that the Wii fit u bundle was 4k yen more expensive.. '-' Which is not as cheap as a bread in a bakery. The bundle with only Mario and party is 2k yen more expensive. Thats the reason why every week, Mario sales are lower than the Wii u number. Some people prefer to buy the original version. When You are talking about numbers as los as the wiiu are, its a respectable portion of sales.

Also, i believe DK sales were affected, but just like Chris said, its the difference between selling 40 to 50k at most.

IF, sales were reeeally affected by it, lets ser next week performance of it.

Busaiku

I wonder how Harvest Moon will do.
Comgnet has it doing muc better than A New Beginning, but I wonder if that'll hold up across all stores.

RalchAC

Media Create said it appears sales of Saturday and Sunday were affected from heavy snow, in places such as in Tohoku and Kanto-Koshinetsu, and there is also a need to take a look a little more at sales in the long span.

It doesn't mean sales will explode next week or it was such an important reason for low opening sales. I mean how many sales were lost even if that's the case? 5-10k?

The part about the heavy snow and all that is not a joke related to that heat weave thing, right? My sarcasm / joke meter sometimes fails when people talk about the weather in MC threads.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Media Create noted that apparently Donkey Kong sales slumped in saturday and sunday due to heavy snow.

Was the snow actually that bad? The heatwaves was something we just made up, but since Media Create is actually mentioning the snow I kind of wonder how bad it was.

Top Bottom