• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

Most mainstream Nintendo characters are already in Smash. A simple graphic update and some engine tweaks hardly would become an explosive seller or make people pick up the Wii U for it. The game needs new features, modes and such, and yet that doesn't seem to be the focus at all this time, which is going to be a big mistake, IMO.

Don't forget that there's the 3ds version too. If the game really doesn't add actual new features and modes, most people likely will just pick up the 3ds game, rather than buying a console for it. And, even so, I doubt the sales will approach previous entries.

It was always going to sell better on the 3DS. There are way more of those in existence.

liger05

Surely Nintendo now realise there is no bounce back happening and its now just about find the most cost effective way to ride this out.

Yes MK8 is coming but surely even Iwata and Co dont believe this will be the catalyst for change.

TheChaos0

I've played my Vita nonstop over the past two months so I'd like to join Dave's brigade of soul-selling. Where do I sign up to deposit my life force to ensure continual Vita success?

Once you stare at Vita's glorious
OLED
screen* for long enough, you'll see. Oh you'll see.

*the effect make take longer to manifest for users of LCD model, sorry guys and girls.

Vita finally stabilised at 18k? Maybe, next month is going to be good with quite a few releases. Let's see if PS4 launch does anything for Vita sales. (doubtful)

Next week itself is going to be interesting, PS4 show us what you can do.

Donkey Bomb is well....

Nintendo should cut its losses now and just port everything to 3DS and wrap it up.
I doubt they can just port Wii U titles to the 3DS in the traditional sense. Reuse the basic game design sure, but I would imagine most full retail games would need to be completely rebuilt with new game engines and assets.

DaBoss

SWZycxS.gif

teiresias

What makes matters worse is that half of the WiiU sales number was SmokeyDave buying consoles to burn at his altar to keep Vita stabilized.

PS4 launch will be very interesting. I really have little idea where the Japanese gamers' heads are at in relation to consoles nowadays.

Scum

Haven't been here in a while. lol
Time to sort out your software pricing, NCL. Handheld games @ £$19.99 - £$29.99 Yen equivalent, console games @ £$29.99 - £$39.99 Yen equivalent.

For real though, are the Comgnet preorders painting a good or bad impression for the PS4's launch?

Errr...they'll be bloody good. lol

Because all these wiiU games are bombing does that mean its the last we'll seenof these franchises? At least for a bit?

I doubt that very much.

Ansatz

Because all these wiiU games are bombing does that mean its the last we'll seenof these franchises? At least for a bit?

I think Nintendo is under the impression that it's the $300 hardware / $60 software business model that is out of fashion, that consumers are fundamentally not interested no matter what you do on the software front.

z0m3le

Banned
Wii to Wii U hardware when compared to DKCR and DKTF is something like 10:1, so I think these numbers don't show how uninterested people are in TF but how badly Wii U has sold against the Wii, which isn't news anymore is it?

denshuu

And Wii U claim another victim.
Mario Kart 8 sales will be record breaking too, but not on the good side.

That game already broke my record for most months in advance I've put in a full week's PTO request.

But yeah, that's gonna be the least played MK since Super Circuit. I hope the online stays active.

Asd202

Dat DKC,dat bump, Wii U saved! But seriously 3DS dropping 10k and WiiU bearly rose and next week is PS4, tough month ahead of Nintendo lol.

Kid Ying

People say that there's too much platformers on the wiiu and that DK may have been hurt by this, but that's what really is? I mean, the two biggest sellers on the system are platformers, with the other platformer released by them (Luigy U) having nice sales besides being an expansion pack.

Nintendo was just catering to it's consoles public. When the other games that did well are party games (Wii party, Nintendoland and, to a lesse extent, Taiko) the choice was obvious.

In fact, there's not even that much platformers being released in Japan for the system at all. There was Rayman and Sonic, both sold terribly, and there was it. It's not people being tired of platformers. If three games on an year and a half makes for tiring, most of the industry would crater.

Focusing on it's strenghts is a good strategy and Nintendo did that. It didn't work for other reasons, but people aren't tired of platformers. Watch DKTF being ported to the 3ds to see if the sales are as bad as this one... The problem here is that the few people that bought the system is not buying a lot of games, if they are buying at all. I thought after the holidays wiiu software would have a new baseline since there was a lot of people with a new system that wanted games, but no. They bought the system with Party, Mario U, bought Mario 3D and that was it. Nintendo should adress this right now, if they can...

The 3DS version will sell more due to multiple purchases. We are going to have two 3DS copies and one Wii U copy since my brother wants to have his own 3DS game (other games we did this with are Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart)

So yeah, even though the Wii U version will get more playtime than both our 3DS versions combined, the 3DS version might sell more due to this reason.

Either way Nintendo wins. We are getting three copies of Smash instead of one. THREE. My sister has her own Kart, Animal Crossing and Pokemon too but she probably won't get her own Smash Bros. Then again you never know and if she does that will be four times the copies!

z0m3le

Banned
I don't know what Wii U owners are doing with their console if they aren't buying games to play on it.

they are buying games, platformers, this one sold to 1 38th of the market, while returns sold to 1 69th, this one launched feb 21st and returns december 9th 2010, there is 1.6m Wii Us and there was ~11m Wiis at the time returns launched, if they expected better than 43k (I assume this is the download cards for the difference) then they had unreasonable expectations for the software. the reality is that platformers are a fulfilled genre on Wii U, it won't sell consoles anymore.

Linkhero1

Poor Wii U...it's about time we lay you into the ground and let you rest.

DKCR did great relative to Wii LTD at the time. Wii U install base is too small for Tropical Freeze to do decently. It doesn't look like it's a system seller either. One of Nintendo's many platformers to fall flat on the Wii U. I always thought Donkey Kong was popular in Japan, but no, it looks like the series really isn't.

L Thammy

Considering how insanely high the Wii install base was at the time, that was a terrible first week too.

Donkey Kong just isn't that popular in Japan apparently. Go figure... :?\

I don't think you can say that about series that can hit a milllion units.

I'm kind of surprised that the Wii U hardware went up at all, honestly. Maybe I just expect all Wii U titles to do more horribly than expected.

zma1013

So how do we predict Bayonetta and X to sell in Japan? Those both seem like games that would cater to a Japanese audience more than anything else.

Frillen

how is the Vita hanging on with just 1 game in the top 20
It's a psychological barrier. Selling 18k is still terrible but given how the Vita sold last year, it looks good in comparison The reality is that it's still selling bad. Vita fans are going to hide behind the "at least it's over last year's YTD" all year long, taking over for the "at least it's over 10k".

wrowa

I'm sure Monster Games is already hard at work porting Tropical Freeze to 3DS.

Yokai Watch will break 500k units sold in a few weeks! To think some people declared the game a failure a few months ago. It's doing really great and if they are able to sustain the popularity, L5 has finally found a new series they can exploit for the foreseeable future. ;)

Top Bottom