• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Kazerei

Banned
Various quotes from this Siliconera article on Harvest Moon at retail.

“A rare occasion, more than half the customers were female, so it seems like the sales at this store will reach great numbers.”

A third retailer says that The Land of Origin’s special edition with the alpaca strap sold out at his store.

Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin marks the first time the series lets players customize their character and ranch. We’re curious to see whether this has any impact on the game’s long-term sales.

Retail blog, Sinobi, reported a few weeks ago that, while pre-orders for Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin were going well, Rune Factory 4 beat it by a wide margin. It should be very interesting to compare sales of the two titles later this year.

In Japan Sony could actually probably afford price drop because of high yen. 20000 yens would still be 249 dollars. The price it actually has in US....

Road

Biggest drop-off ever for a game without being supply constrained? xD
Certainly not the biggest overall (with only a MC top 10 or top 20 for sales many games drop out of them and we never even see the 2nd week), but it seems to be the biggest on Chris' database:

[360] Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 (Tecmo) {2006.11.22} - 4,000 / 49,000 / 12 / 2 -91%
[360] Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force (Sega) {2010.12.22} - 2,112 / 25,460 / 12 / 2 -91%
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) {2006.08.24} - 45,949 / 549,001 / 11 / 2 -91%
[SDC] Dead or Alive 2 (Tecmo) {2000.09.28} - 10,717 / 116,617 / 11 / 2 -90%
[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) {2009.02.19} - 17,012 / 179,244 / 11 / 2 -90%

FFIII was supply constrained, no idea about the others. Xillia is not on his latest database file, but it dropped 91%.

The really distressing thing for Sony has to be that even if everyone who bought a PSP this week would instead have bought a Vita, they'd *still* have only sold around a third of what the 3DS sold.

It's a lot more expensive and lot newer. That'd be normal.

sphinx

the piano man
trying to have a positive Attitude, I think Sony will show important VITA stuff in the next months, the handheld will gain some traction when autum arrives, around October when the big selling months arrive.

It will have to endure a lot of trolling and poor performances through the dry summer months, sub-10k weeks will come and go and Vita will take it with honor.

If the price stays that way, then Vita needs colors, bundles and more advertising, besides the obvious killerap software and announcements.

I can't see Sony not dropping Vita's price before June. Such sales cannot last more longer than that, it would kill its chances to get steady game support.

A price drop wouldn't make much sense on its own, though. In the absence of major software, it'd probably cost Sony far more in hardware losses than they'd gain in hardware sales, mindshare, or future third-party support.

BadWolf

trying to have a positive Attitude, I think Sony will show important VITA stuff in the next months, the handheld will gain some traction when autum arrives, around October when the big selling months arrive.

It will have to endure a lot of trolling and poor performances through the dry summer months, sub-10k weeks will come and go and Vita will take it with honor.

If the price stays that way, then Vita needs colors, bundles and more advertising, besides the obvious killerap software and announcements.

Yeah, I think they may have been waiting for it to launch worldwide first.

No point in hyping/revealing new stuff while it was only released in one region.

stalker

Do you think Revelations may become a fourth title somewhat following the big three long legs? at a distance, of course. Or is it following a normal release pattern?

muu

Sounds like SE really underestimated that game, but sounds like from other posts they have done the same thing in the past. Wonder what is up with that, do they not have confidence in some of the Nintendo handheld titles?

game was bashed to hell and back until the demo came out proving they actually put some work into it. Stores have to send their orders in 2 months prior and the demo came after that. Amazon preorders skyrocketed at that point but apparently it took a little longer before store preoders started climbing as well. As for FF3, it did experience shortages but they still shipped 500k copies for the first week.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Great for 3DS, their trio and Harvest Moon!

About Vita:
vitadead.jpg

Mrbob

Then Nintendo decided to be an asshole, and price drop a bit more, new colors, 3DS Pokemon bundle.

Nintendo won't drop the price anytime soon. Iwata already turned things around with his boss move, but he doesn't like to lose money off hardware which is currently occurring. Have to give him a lot of credit for reacting to market trends and turning things around fast. Most big companies aren't this nimble. Of course the 3DS had a bit of a mark up to help this quick transition but Iwata didn't fail to act!

Its sold a total of 200k this year, would 200k+ to Vita's LTD really change much? Thats if everyone who did bought the game chose the Vita over the PSP. I'm guessing no, otherwise they would have already digitally.

I'm not saying it would do the Vita any good at all. I'm just saying that 3rd is still kind of hanging around.

Kazerei

Banned
Do you think Revelations may become a fourth title somewhat following the big three long legs? at a distance, of course. Or is it following a normal release pattern?

Nah. It's showing longer legs than most games, but not nearly on the same level as the trinity.

But the yen's price is dropping right now afaik.

Yes the US economy is improving and the dollar has regained some strength in the last few weeks. If the rally continues it would be good for all Japanese companies.

Regardless, Sony don't count their revenue in dollars, so the fallacy that they sell for more than $249 worth of Yen in Japan could allow them to cut the price if the Yen weakens isn't one worth listening to. If anything the proper way of looking at it is that Sony sell Vita for just under 20k in America which is probably below its production cost and a rebound in the dollar could push up their revenues.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Nope.
The trinity is something special. Those three games have the potential to increase occasionally their weekly sales, continuing selling for...1 year? at least.
Look at MK on DS, on MarioBros on DS (I think that we can say that MarioLand was able to achieve the goal to "seem" a 2D Mario for the mass market, in terms of legs) or MHP3 on PSP (still in chart until last week?).

RERevelation is hanging well, better than some previous entries in the series, but it's decreasing week after week (and it's normal) and I think that it will be out of top20 within few weeks (especially because in March there will be a lot of new entries).

That said, please note that Re Mercenaries on 3DS was able to sell a lot also outside the charts (it's around 153K LTD for Media-Create if I remember correctly), so I think that ReR could hit the 300K mark easily, also desappearing from the weekly charts.

This could be a very solid performance for the first "real" portable entry in the brand.

Nah. It's showing longer legs than most games, but not nearly on the same level as the trinity.

Revelations might resurface on slow weeks, but I bet that some later, newer 3DS releases will push it off the charts. It will come and go on its own accord.

Would Capcom be happy with its performance?

Revelations might resurface on slow weeks, but I bet that some later, newer 3DS releases will push it off the charts. It will come and go on its own accord.

Would Capcom be happy with its performance?

It'll depend on how it does in the US, but then again this is Capcom they may have thought the game would move 2 million units or something stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nope.
The trinity is something special. Those three games have the potential to increase occasionally their weekly sales, continuing selling for...1 year? at least.
Look at MK on DS, on MarioBros on DS (I think that we can say that MarioLand was able to achieve the goal to "seem" a 2D Mario for the mass market, in terms of legs) or MHP3 on PSP (still in chart until last week?).

RERevelation is hanging well, better than some previous entries in the series, but it's decreasing week after week (and it's normal) and I think that it will be out of top20 within few weeks (especially because in March there will be a lot of new entries).

That said, please note that Re Mercenaries on 3DS was able to sell a lot also outside the charts (it's around 153K LTD for Media-Create if I remember correctly), so I think that ReR could hit the 300K mark easily, also desappearing from the weekly charts.

This could be a very solid performance for the first "real" portable entry in the brand.

MH will be cut down by its sequel. MK 7 will presumably not have a sequel, so it will just keep going until the next MK portable is released sometime around 2018+. Mario too will keep on keeping on, but has the potential to be cut down by whatever 2D Mario tomfoolery they have planned.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MH will be cut down by its sequel. MK 7 will presumably not have a sequel, so it will just keep going until the next MK portable is released sometime around 2018+. Mario too will keep on keeping on, but has the potential to be cut down by whatever 2D Mario tomfoolery they have planned.

Yeah, I agree with that!
Especially MK7 could last FOREVER!
ANd it could still sell also outside the charts, and keep going and going

The upcoming release schedule seems to have no downtime for the 3DS.

Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest Monsters and Rune Factory all pretty soon, right?

Edit: In terms of titles that might have some sort of impact.

2D Mario will be cut shorter but it'll keep on selling I bet, this weeks +20% out of the blue shows its appeal is different from just 3D or 2D.

I will eat my hat and shoes if there isn't a Super Mario 3D Land 2 in 2013. That would also slice the sales up a bit because it's more direct. It depends on if its billed as "more of the same," or a "better version of the same game." Galaxy 2 was kind of billed as both.

ZenaxPure

game was bashed to hell and back until the demo came out proving they actually put some work into it. Stores have to send their orders in 2 months prior and the demo came after that. Amazon preorders skyrocketed at that point but apparently it took a little longer before store preoders started climbing as well. As for FF3, it did experience shortages but they still shipped 500k copies for the first week.

Ah, that's interesting. I always thought the game looked pretty neat but that is coming from someone who is a fan of the music in the FF series and a huge lover of Elite Beat Agents here in the states. So it's pretty much a perfect match for myself.

Top Bottom