• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

jeremy1456

Abyss - one of biggest Tales games, released on stationary consoles
Innocence - one of weakest Tales games, released previously on handheld

sounds like totally valid comparision...

You could have a case if Namco released Vesperia for Vita and it sold 50k.

If Vesperia came to the Vita I imagine there would still be excuses.

It's the only valid point comparison we can make at this point. Helping out Innocence is the fact that Abyss 3D was just a port, while Innocence is a remake. With that in mind the comparison seems all the more fair.

tiku

Don't think so. It's still one of the best Tales against one of the worst.

No, I don't think it's the best scenario to compare.

If Vesperia came to the Vita I imagine there would still be excuses.

It's the only valid point comparison we can make at this point. Helping out Innocence is the fact that Abyss 3D was just a port, while Innocence is a remake. With that in mind the comparison seems all the more fair.
Do you want me to post a screenshot comparison of both games so you can see what I'm talking about?

jeremy1456

Do you want me to post a screenshot comparison of both games so you can see what I'm talking about?

I know what the Vita remake of Innocence looks like, and Abyss as well.

I guess I won't be able to prove my point until we get numbers for Tales of Hearts R because it's obvious that you are stuck on trying to discredit my point by focusing on visual style.

madmackem

It never ceases to amaze how badly 360 sells in japan, at this point three digits, wouldnt surprise me if its only selling to expats over there.

The analysis of Tsutaya rankings vs. COMGnet vs. Media Create / Famitsu is really annoying. Guys, let's wait until Wednesday to see the sales of those games, without thinking too much about pre-orders stuffs or small samples.

jeremy1456

If you don't have a basis for comparison, you don't. Simple as that.

Tales of Innocence and Tales of the Abyss were both mothership titles. Both re-releases were shortly after the release of the hardware on which they appeared. The major difference is that Innocence is a remake, and remakes tend to sell better than mere ports.

How is that not a basis for comparison?

You could compare it, sure. I don't think it makes for a particularly good study though. Abyss is well loved here. Tons of character goods and near constant popularity.

In comparison Innocence has close to nothing. It was better than Tempest, sure, but Tales fans here in Japan moved on quickly. Comparing a relatively bad, unliked game to a great selling, well loved game seems weird and not all that effective.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Tales of Innocence and Tales of the Abyss were both mothership titles. Both re-releases were shortly after the release of the hardware on which they appeared. The major difference is that Innocence is a remake, and remakes tend to sell better than mere ports.

Very simple. The orignal release of innocence sold 246,420 copies in Japan, while Tales of the Abyss sold 440,225 copies in their first year. Both of these numbers are from wikipedia.
Abyss is a vastly more popular game, and was better received critically to boot.

Celestial

Banned

Tales of Innocence debuted on DS and Tales of Abyss on PS2.Tales of Abyss was far more succesful than Innocense so it is common sense it would do better in 3DS than Innocense R despite it was a remake.

Tales of Innocence R first week-47.312
Tales of Abyss 3DS first week-68.218

3DS was not selling as good as now but it had bigger userbase than Vita had when Innocence R was released.Tales of Abyss had ''some'' legs which probably because of the good sales of 3DS that came with the price drop.

jeremy1456

You could compare it, sure. I don't think it makes for a particularly good study though. Abyss is well loved here. Tons of character goods and near constant popularity.

In comparison Innocence has close to nothing. It was better than Tempest, sure, but Tales fans here in Japan moved on quickly. Comparing a relatively bad, unliked game to a great selling, well loved game seems weird and not all that effective.

I think port vs. remake definitely offsets the popularity difference enough that it's a decent comparison.

extralite

I know they are a Blockbuster kind of shop (videos, games and books).

Also CDs. Most of their store space is rental DVDs and CDs. Few games because outside of DQX rental of video games is banned in Japan.

Doesn't mean that the charts can't match with general audience taste charts of course.

Bruno MB

Tales of (portable ports and remakes)

[GBA] Tales of Phantasia (Namco) {2003.08.01} - 55.970 / 134.608
[PSP] Tales of Eternia (Namco) {2005.03.03} - 74.630 / 193.458
[PSP] Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition (Namco Bandai Games) {2006.09.07} - 65.417 / 111.034
[PSP] Tales of Destiny 2 (Namco Bandai Games) {2007.02.15} - 65.503 / 114.757
[PSP] Tales of Rebirth (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.03.19} - 44.888 / 83.016
[PSP] Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.08.05} - 114.199 / 184.355
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Namco Bandai Games) {2011.06.30} - 68.218 / 121.815
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R (Namco Bandai Games) {2012.01.26} - 47.312 / 71.463

[PSP] Tales of Eternia (PSP The Best) (Namco Bandai Games) {2005.12.01} - ? / 55.632
[PSP] Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP The Best) (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.01.28} - ? / 20.614
[PSP] Tales of Rebirth (PSP The Best) (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.01.28} - ? / 6.928

Tales of Innocence debuted on DS and Tales of Abyss on PS2.Tales of Abyss was far more succesful than Innocense so it is common sense it would do better in 3DS than Innocense R despite it was a remake.

Tales of Innocence R first week-54,820
Tales of Abyss 3DS first week-71,393

3DS was not selling as good as now but it had bigger userbase than Vita had when Innocence R was released.Tales of Abyss had ''some'' legs which probably because of the good sales of 3DS that came with the price drop.Tales of Innocense R passed the 100k units(without counting the PSN numbers) while Tales of Abyss 140k.

source?

Tenki

Tales of Innocence R first week-54,820
Tales of Abyss 3DS first week-71,393

3DS was not selling as good as now but it had bigger userbase than Vita had when Innocence R was released.Tales of Abyss had ''some'' legs which probably because of the good sales of 3DS that came with the price drop.Tales of Innocense R passed the 100k units(without counting the PSN numbers) while Tales of Abyss 140k.

I highly doubt it, since the last data we have is:

{2012-02-06} - 3,023 / 57,838

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/5399

L Thammy

Will juniors ever learn?

I resemble that remark.

In case it hasn't been stated in the thread: the reason that site is banned is because some of their numbers are extrapolated from actual sales information (just as Media Create and Famitsu do, though probably not as accurate) while others are just projections. There's no way of knowing which is which.

L Thammy

Projections is a nice way of saying that the certain banned site makes shit up. And "extrapolated from actual sales information" is a nice way of saying that they fix their shit once NPD numbers are out.

Being dismissive like this is a bad idea, I think. When you say that they "make shit up" you make it sound like you're just arbitrarily declaring that the numbers are bad out of dislike for the site.

If you want juniors (and current lurkers who may be juniors in the future) to stop posting bad numbers it's better to give them a reasonable explanation of why they're bad and why bad numbers would be given. Not to say that you're wrong.

Being dismissive like this is a bad idea, I think. When you say that they "make shit up" you make it sound like you're just arbitrarily declaring that the numbers are bad out of dislike for the site.

If you want juniors (and current lurkers who may be juniors in the future) to stop posting bad numbers it's better to give them a reasonable explanation of why they're bad and why bad numbers would be given. Not to say that you're wrong.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919#.UT2nyVep1vA

Article is a few years old, but as far as I know Chatz hasn't really changed that much.

I resemble that remark.

In case it hasn't been stated in the thread: the reason that site is banned is because some of their numbers are extrapolated from actual sales information (just as Media Create and Famitsu do, though probably not as accurate) while others are just projections. There's no way of knowing which is which.

The numbers are estimates, owner of the site said it himself.

Who owns the site again? ioi? He use to post on neogaf with his fake numbers. He made a website, got into a lot of arguments until he and his site got banned.

Looks like he's doing pretty well for himself.

Celestial

Banned
Who owns the site again? ioi? He use to post on neogaf with his fake numbers. He made a website, got into a lot of arguments until he and his site got banned.

Looks like he's doing pretty well for himself.

It is true that i used the banned site for the numbers.I also know that the numbers are mostly estimates.But you all know that even Media Create or Famitsu dont get all the numbers right.I could easily post Media Create numbers but i was bored so i went with the easy way and as i see now the first week numbers dont have a big difference with what i posted.

Maybe some users in GAF should stop be economists,analytics or smarties......

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It is true that i used the banned site for the numbers.I also know that the numbers are mostly estimates.But you all know that even Media Create or Famitsu dont get all the numbers right.I could easily post Media Create numbers but i was bored so i went with the easy way and as i see now the first week numbers dont have a big difference with what i posted.

This post gave me cancer.

Just... no.

L Thammy

The numbers are estimates, owner of the site said it himself.

Do Media Create or Famitsu track every single game unit sold in Japan? As far as I'm aware, they're both estimates as well. That's not the problem. The problem is the unreliability of the numbers on the website; it's stated very well in the article Streets posted.

In my experience as a lurker, I didn't understand the problem from "chartz is crap". I understood it when I first saw that article posted and I read the explanation.

Posting those numbers is bannable. Explanations of why they are a problem have been posted. You're free to edit your post.

Do Media Create or Famitsu track every single game unit sold in Japan? As far as I'm aware, they're both estimates as well. That's not the problem. The problem is the unreliability of the numbers on the website; it's stated very well in the article Streets posted.

I don't remember exact numbers but Famitsu/MC claims to have data from 50 to 70% of retail stores. So they are probably most reliable trackers in the world.

Bruno MB

Over 20 posts talking about a supposedly sales tracking website that has 3DS selling below 80.000 units in the US for the whole month of February.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anything less than 600k life time sales for Luigis Mansion 2 would surprise me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Over 20 posts talking about a supposedly sales tracking website that has 3DS selling below 80.000 units in the US for the whole month of February.

Or better, that reported Aliens: Colonial Marines sold 13k in its first week on Wii U.

Or better, that reported Aliens: Colonial Marines sold 13k in its first week on Wii U.

Now that's pretty awesome :D

I used to think that Poland and Germany selling more COD than they reported for pc version in whole others was huge but this is amazing.

Altrough when Divinity 2 was delayed in UK and sold everywhere else in Europe it they didn't start tracking it until it was released in UK :D

L Thammy

I don't remember exact numbers but Famitsu/MC claims to have data from 50 to 70% of retail stores. So they are probably most reliable trackers in the world.

But they're still estimates and not exact numbers. Again, all I'm saying is that the problem should be clearly stated. Like Mpl90 did with that Aliens example, wow.

Do we have any news / musings / anecdotal rumblings on Soul Sacrifice yet?

Soul Sacrifice [Limited Edition] - 70%

Top Bottom