• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MediEvil (PS4) demo is now available

VulcanRaven

MediEvil demo is now available on PS4:

I didn't see a thread for this yet. I just played the demo and it was great. I like the graphical style and gameplay is fun. The original game was one of my favorites on PS1. I'm so happy that Sir Dan is back! :)

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No hit stun made this an instant no buy for me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No hit stun, terrible narration, looks like a children's movie. It's pretty disappointing. Like seriously what happened to the original narration? Who is this old lady that sounds like she needs a cough drop?
This was gonna be a day one for me. Good thing demos still exist!

lifa-cobex

Is it me or is the frame rate completely fucked? Standing in the health pools tanks my frames.
Controls feel fucked too.
Something about the movement in general feels very off.

Have good nostalgia with this game.
Looks nice but i'm not impressed.
Pretty gutted tbh.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
only us store?
This link should redirect you to the correct store for you to download it:

brap

Banned
Is it me or is the frame rate completely fucked? Standing in the health pools tanks my frames.
Controls feel fucked too.
Something about the movement in general feels very off.

Have good nostalgia with this game.
Looks nice but i'm not impressed.
Pretty gutted tbh.
I'm playing on a pro and it feels like the frame rate is always shitting itself. The camera is godawful too.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It is badly optimized on top of everything else.

brap

Banned
So you just flail your sword around, expecting the best outcome...
Apparently. In the original the enemies would recoil back. In this one they just keep attacking. Then the camera in this one moves horrible so it's even more frustrating. My head hurts from it moving so fast anytime you even slightly move the stick.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently. In the original the enemies would recoil back. In this one they just keep attacking. Then the camera in this one moves horrible so it's even more frustrating. My head hurts from it moving so fast anytime you even slightly move the stick.
The original still had zombies being fast af when close to you but when you hit em with your sword they would recoil back yes.

Didn’t like the original game back in the day. No interest in this so far either. Totally forgot about it anyways.

brap

Banned
The original still had zombies being fast af when close to you but when you hit em with your sword they would recoil back yes.
Now you stand there like a dumbfuck and just swing I guess. Or run while the camera spazzes out so you end up getting a headache. I know I overreact a lot but that really did give me a headache. I can't play this game.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't get through it as a kid :messenger_angry:
I BEAT IT BEFORE YOU COULD BEAT YOURSELF
source.gif

sol_bad

I'm playing on a pro and it feels like the frame rate is always shitting itself. The camera is godawful too.

I was going to ask about the frame rate because it's always looks bad in the trailers. It's a shame to hear it's bad in the demo too.
Hopefully it's one of those cases where the demo is a very old build and the actual game itself has advanced much further in actual production. Meaning the final game will be smooth.

Saber

Not particulary happy with the demo. The camera feels rather unpolished, the health bar is ugly as hell and the music feels like the old one but with unecessary aditions.

Which is sad...not long ago I was kinda happy for the outcome. Maybe if they fix those problems I might get interested again.

FranXico

I just played the demo.
Not surprised at what I got from it. I think I'll pass this one.

No hit stun made this an instant no buy for me.
The gameplay loop did not age well at all, never mind the hit stun.

Also, wtf? The bonus item is a helmet that makes me weaker. Worst bonus item ever.

Winter John

I had to turn it off. The camera flipping all over the place and the low fov started giving me motion sickness. Shame cos I liked it in the old days and was looking forward to playing it again.

xrnzaaas

Demo was pretty cool, but way too short for a 10GB+ one. I've noticed framedrops in some cutscenes and in regeneration spots, but the rest was fine. I still think I'll be getting it on day 1.

I just played the demo.
Not surprised at what I got from it. I think I'll pass this one.

The gameplay loop did not age well at all, never mind the hit stun.

Also, wtf? The bonus item is a helmet that makes me weaker. Worst bonus item ever.

The helmet is actually a pretty good addition. The default difficulty level is a joke at least in the demo.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
No hit stun, terrible narration, looks like a children's movie. It's pretty disappointing. Like seriously what happened to the original narration? Who is this old lady that sounds like she needs a cough drop?
I'm at work right now. But what they did with the original narrator? They changed just the voice or even the tone too? I remember playing it as child and sometimes I got scared or felt pressured when getting swarmed by enemies.

lifa-cobex

I'm at work right now. But what they did with the original narrator? They changed just the voice or even the tone too? I remember playing it as child and sometimes I got scared or felt pressured when getting swarmed by enemies.
I don't know who was the original narrator voice as IMDB just lists them as "voice".
But a couple of them are dead now.
The OG narrator seemed like an old man telling you a old tail. The new narrator just doesn't quite cut it. Plus she reads out all the books which isn't necessary.

The lack of hit stun is really noticeable. It's making me wonder if it's going to become a shit storm during the asylum level.
You get absolutely swarmed on that level but could knock them back and give yourself a chance to jump over to the other side. I have a feeling that's not going to work quite a well with this.

DonF

Oh the memories! I remember playing the demo disc a lot, since it was my only game for like a month. I replayed Medievil so many times...

Nero_PR

Banned
I don't know who was the original narrator voice as IMDB just lists them as "voice".
But a couple of them are dead now.
The OG narrator seemed like an old man telling you a old tail. The new narrator just doesn't quite cut it. Plus she reads out all the books which isn't necessary.

The lack of hit stun is really noticeable. It's making me wonder if it's going to become a shit storm during the asylum level.
You get absolutely swarmed on that level but could knock them back and give yourself a chance to jump over to the other side. I have a feeling that's not going to work quite a well with this.
Great insight about the game's mechanics. I wish that these remakes would start to take some time to polish and narrow down the details that made the originals so good in the first place. Just look at the Crash Team Racing remake and how people are exploiting the game physics and riding over the invisible walls in almost all the tracks and finishing races in record time.

I can only hope that Medievil turns out to be better than the original with a few patches.

lifa-cobex

Great insight about the game's mechanics. I wish that these remakes would start to take some time to polish and narrow down the details that made the originals so good in the first place. Just look at the Crash Team Racing remake and how people are exploiting the game physics and riding over the invisible walls in almost all the tracks and finishing races in record time.

I can only hope that Medievil turns out to be better than the original with a few patches.
I get the feeling they don't bother to extensively game test the remakes.
The N. Sane Trilogy seems to be the only one given a bit of love.
I heard Spiro isn't up to snuff either but I haven't seen it for myself.

That's baaaad.
If you can't reach 60fps (for some reason) then at least lock it to bloody 30.
30 is better than frames going all over the shop.

Last edited:

The original really wasn't that great of a game on the PSX. Really baffling why they chose this for a remake.

Yeah. I was surprised when I heard it announced. I remember playing the demo and didn’t like it. When it was released I gave it a shot again and just didn’t click with me. What’s sad is I dig the art style and atmosphere.

lifa-cobex

The original really wasn't that great of a game on the PSX. Really baffling why they chose this for a remake.
Yeah. I was surprised when I heard it announced. I remember playing the demo and didn’t like it. When it was released I gave it a shot again and just didn’t click with me. What’s sad is I dig the art style and atmosphere.

It has a niche fan base.
I think it was a lot of peoples first PSX game so nostalgia an all that.

I didn't like it much at first but the art and music kept me coming back. The further I got into it, the more I liked it.

Nero_PR

Banned
I get the feeling that don't bother to extensively game test the remakes.
The N. Sane Trilogy seems to be the only one given a bit of love.
I heard Spiro isn't up to snuff either but I haven't seen it for myself.

That's baaaad.
If you can't reach 60fps (for some reason) then at least lock it to bloody 30.
30 is better than frames going all over the shop.
You say that, but I hate what they made with the Jet-ski levels in the N.sane Trilogy. The jumping was great for Crash 1 but it was less precise in 2 and 3 than the originals. I just give a pass for the Crash Remake but they made 3 games in one package just like the Spyro.

Now look at Medievil, they are remaking just the first one and looks like the gameplay is missing a lot of the fine-tuning.

Verdanth

I found the game more fluid than what I thought it would be.

I remember watching some trailers and shit, those had an horrendous frame rate.

Mattyp

Gold Member

You either clicked with it back then or you never would now, back then the game was amazing to me and one of my favourites of PS1

The fact this can't even hit 30fps in parts in a released demo just goes to show the trailers where spot on, I have no hope in this title. I'll just go play the original on my PS2.

Reactions: 888

NXGamer

I found the game more fluid than what I thought it would be.

I remember watching some trailers and shit, those had an horrendous frame rate.
The performance is poor on both consoles, and I suspect the Pro mode is not fully in yet.

I put a video up on this yesterday and the Pro is only being used to boost performance, but both still need work.

Top Bottom