• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Teknoman

Next to the excellent Fire Man music in Network Transmission I like Phaoroh Man's the most (Then again, I'm a huge Phaoroh Man fan anyway...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdsmoNI3n8

jFctxLA7RKVxi.jpg

My problem with Boomer's stage music on SNES is that for some reason it sounds to me like it came straight out of F-Zero. I mean, it's not really a bad thing, but it almost distracts me :p

SkyOdin

But Domon Kasshu is an awesome X!

Too bad we won't hear him anymore. D:

Yeah.

It is a terrible shame that voice acting team ever did only 3 Mega Man X games. They did a great job in Command Mission and X8.

I mean, as much as I love Mega Man X4, I try my hardest not to pay attention to X's voice acting. Sigma turned out alright though. And the dub for X7 was so bad that I apparently switched to listening to the Japanese voice track and convinced myself that the game wasn't dubbed, until my brother reminded me differently. Since I have no conscious memory of what it actually sounded like, I can't really comment on it now.

I played it earlier this year and none of the remixes stick in my head at all, i'd have to go look them up but my main issue was...

This along with some really basic electronic vibe that dominates all the songs to my memory, it's not exactly bad but I feel the SNES version destroys it and that ain't nostalgia talking, I played that this year as well.

And Boomer Kuwanger sounds like some generic club as opposed to a foreboding tower, I can't see that as better Dragoon.

I had it stuck in my head all day at work earlier, i'm almost inclined to agree but Ska style sounds damn good.
I never thought the original was very foreboding to begin with, though the melody isn't peppy and feels rather jazzy overall. The rearrangement added so much to the track overall, enough to add depth to the stage's atmosphere.

F-Zero has one hell of a solid soundtrack. Better than F-Zero X's, I must say.

I never thought the original was very foreboding to begin with, though the melody isn't peppy and feels rather jazzy overall. The rearrangement added so much to the track overall, enough to add depth to the stage's atmosphere.

F-Zero has one hell of a solid soundtrack. Better than F-Zero X's, I must say.

Well maybe foreboding was the wrong word, the minimalist start up and gradual theme ramp up lends itself well to the climbing up of a tower I feel, MHX just kicks off on full burst and stays that way throughout the songs duration adding little variety and ends ups sounding quite similar to the rest of the stages in that version to boot.
Once again it's not bad but I don't see it as at least matching up either.

Well, there goes an hour of productivity while I browse SNES OSTs on youtube. Damn you!

I used to just sit on time trial or whatever and listen to F-Zero music all day sometimes.
It's a great use of an hour, and a good use of time trials as well for that matter.

Well maybe foreboding was the wrong word, the minimalist start up and gradual theme ramp up lends itself well to the climbing up of a tower I feel, MHX just kicks off on full burst and stays that way throughout the songs duration adding little variety and ends ups sounding quite similar to the rest of the stages in that version to boot.
Once again it's not bad but I don't see it as at least matching up either.
You mean the greater contrasts in the original. I can hear that in my head quite clearly now. But I remember the MHX arrangement being quite varied and well-developed, too. Different strokes—I'll give both versions a listen after I'm done with school.

So I saw at least one person, on an IRC chatroom I go to, suggest that one should play the 8-bit fan remakes of MM7 and 8 instead of the actual versions, to keep the entire series consistent all the way through.

Interesting premise... are the fan remakes really that good? Never got around to trying them, honestly. Although, I rather like MM8 as it is...

Gilgamesh

So I saw at least one person, on an IRC chatroom I go to, suggest that one should play the 8-bit fan remakes of MM7 and 8 instead of the actual versions, to keep the entire series consistent all the way through.

Interesting premise... are the fan remakes really that good? Never got around to trying them, honestly. Although, I rather like MM8 as it is...

The MM7 demake is great. I really dislike the SNES one because of how clunky and big Mega Man is. It doesn't feel very good to play.

Haven't tried the MM8 one. The original version of it is fine. Except for JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE.

Well, from the short time I played the 7 demake it was pretty good, AND you can also mod it easily iirc.

Pietepiet

Huh, cool idea.
They should demake Rockman & Forte just to complete the series.

*quality not indicative of the animation in the series

God that opening should have been how the series was animated. So fluid, so amazing.
Limited animation it is, however. There's only so much animation you can pack into an average TV episode, and they didn't have the biggest of budgets and manpower.

storafötter;42568753 said:
I love the MM7 demake, but I did not know they made one for MM8 (which wasn't a bad game from before).

Both demakes are pretty good. I like MM8 too, but I could see how someone could put the demake over the original version.

I feel like the 8-bit style mitigates many of the things I didn't like about the original versions of Mega Man 7 and 8. With the 7 demake, Mega Man's sprite takes up less of the screen, and you can see much more of the stage than in the original, which keeps the screen from being so cramped and makes moving about easier. And since the demake of 8 has way less animation, it moves at a faster clip,

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, even the dude voicing Zero in X8/CM/MHX is retired?

*quality not indicative of the animation in the series
God that opening should have been how the series was animated. So fluid, so amazing.
Limited animation it is, however. There's only so much animation you can pack into an average TV episode, and they didn't have the biggest of budgets and manpower.

From what I heard the opening was done by a Japanese studio who was supposed to be in charge of most of the animation.

Oh, Mega Man. I don't truly believe the franchise is dead yet, but I sure wish Capcom would do something serious (read: not Xover) with it sometime soon.

Mega Man is my favorite series (all series inclusive) of all time, and X is my favorite character from anything ever. I won't believe the franchise is honestly, truly dead until Capcom outright says it is. :(

In the meantime, I am absolutely in love with Bandai Namco for what they're doing with Project X Zone. Not only is the X series represented front and center, but Project X Zone is the first game since, like, Mega Man X8 and Maverick Hunter X where X is not only playable, but receives top billing over the woefully overused and played-out Zero. Don't get me wrong, I love Zero and they make an awesome pair when teamed up, but he just can't hold a candle to X, and it's the frickin' MEGA MAN X series for god's sake. Zero got his own series later on, anyway. He didn't need to hijack the X series as well. :p

qq more

Is it weird that my first Mega Man game is MMBN3 and yet Mega Man 2 ends up being my favorite? (I don't like bandwagoning but Mega Man 2 was REALLY good)

I've started playing through the entire series to celebrate the 25th birthday of our dead friend.

I started with Mega Man 1 obviously, and it was the first time I played it in a few years (since I did my barebones no-hit run). I reviewed it and gave it a C+, so it definitely hasn't held up well, but I can't hate on it because it was so damn influential and the controls are perfect.

Qurupeke

So guys, is there any chance that they'll release at least the MML3 Prototype Version? It was going to be a launch title for JP eShop, so it must be pretty much complete.

Is it weird that my first Mega Man game is MMBN3 and yet Mega Man 2 ends up being my favorite? (I don't like bandwagoning but Mega Man 2 was REALLY good)

I was going to get around to playing MegaMan1-3. We'll see if it's true since my first game was MMBN3 as well.

So guys, is there any chance that they'll release at least the MML3 Prototype Version? It was going to be a launch title for JP eShop, so it must be pretty much complete.

Probably not. I'd say the fact that they've had more than a year to release it and have chosen not to means it's never going to happen.

Hell, it would be nice if they'd even give us the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Rockman 1-3 outside of Japan, but... nope.

Mega Man 2 was my first, maybe Battle Network 3 will become my favorite?! I want to give that series a try, but time is always an issue for me nowadays.

I remember getting my first copy of Nintendo Power, and it was the one with the little claymation-looking Mega Man 2 cover, and as soon as it was out I scrambled off to the gas station where I rented games (yeah, gas stations rented VHS and NES games back in the dark ages) and picked up a copy.

In retrospect, my biggest problem with 2 is the little tiny bit of forward momentum he seems to have when landing from a jump that just isn't there in 3 and on. Everything after 2 feels like perfect controls to me.

My problem with 3 through 5 was that none seemed to manage both fantastic boss stages and fun castles like 2 did. 4 had kinda weak boss stages (Bright Man is the only one I recall being fairly challenging), but strong castle stages, music, and bosses. 3 had the dullest Wily Castle but the boss stages and Doc Robot stages are positively inspired. If you took the first 12 stages of Mega Man 3, and then attached the castles from Mega Man 4, I'd put the resulting game above 2.

I guess for all practical purposes, all of the above basically sums up why I personally put 9 above 2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MM3 blows its load on the Doc Robot stages which are hard with hard boss fights (the extra bit of height on Doc Robot can make him really hard to jump over)

Wily's Castle is a victory lap in comparison and filled with E-Tanks and extra lives.

Sheik

I love the variety in the Mega Man franchise. I love the music. I love the characters. Capcoooom! Why. ;_;

I picked up Mega Man ZX, Mega Man ZX Advent, and Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team at a local gaming/hobbies store the other day. Kind of an impulse purchase but I just felt like playing some Mega Man. Might pick up the Zero Collection while I'm at it.

Does anyone know the name of the studio who worked on this intro?

Same studio, the only difference is that the opening theme was going to be repeated every episode so they spent a decent chunk of their animation budget on it... This is common practice for most cartoons (especially anime)

Teknoman

So I had no idea Rockman 8 had a different intro theme than Megaman 8. Considering how Sonic fans are on about Sonic Boom vs You Can Do Anything, which theme do most MM fans favor? Electrical Communication vs ...whatever MM8's theme is called?

So I had no idea Rockman 8 had a different intro theme than Megaman 8. Considering how Sonic fans are on about Sonic Boom vs You Can Do Anything, which theme do most MM fans favor? Electrical Communication vs ...whatever MM8's theme is called?

They did that for all Megamans after the SNES (except Legends? I dunno about those. Also X6).

Personally, I prefer all of the JP openings with the exception of X4 and 5, NA wins there by far to me.

Teknoman

They did that for all Megamans after the SNES (except Legends? I dunno about those. Also X6).

Personally, I prefer all of the JP openings with the exception of X4 and 5, NA wins there by far to me.

Had no idea about X4 and 5, but after watching them now... X4 and 5 really didnt fit. Kind of surprising how out of sync they seem. X6 fit perfectly...i'm kinda neutral on 8.

EDIT: Listening to the X7 and 8 intros...NA version actually takes it for me there as well.

Azure J

It's weird, but I pretty much like them all equally with my only real preference going to MM8US over the JPN opening. The only reason for that is because the actual song just felt so light. Electronic Communication is stupidly hype though. :lol

Also, Wild Fang from X8 was sooooooooo good.

Rockman X8 also had different music for Tengu Man's stage and it's a cool tune. I usually play it every now and then to hear that solemn melody and wispy intro.

I'm waiting for someone to start a Kickstarter Project on Megaman Legends 3 or some kind of miracle. Someday he will finally get off of the moon.

I'm waiting for someone to start a Kickstarter Project on Megaman Legends 3 or some kind of miracle. Someday he will finally get off of the moon.
The main obstacle at this point is acquiring the IP itself, or somehow licensing it out from Capcom. Neither option is going to work out until Capcom decides what they want from the franchise in the first place, though. Until then, there are a couple of Legends fan-games being backed by some genuine talent. I'm working on one of them, though school and film-making are distracting me from that project.

Top Bottom