• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So if everything just sorta ended peacefully after Dr. Light and Wily passed away...what happened to Megaman, Roll, Rush, Protoman, Bass, etc.? They just got sealed away, put in a robot museum, or eventually shut down?
Not even robots are immortal.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So did we win?? I mean I clearly remember 100,000 for Megaman Legends 3DS being a success.

Teknoman

Aside from MMX3 SNES having better music than the saturn/PS1/collection release, is there any real reason to get the original titles again if i've already got X collection?

Not even robots are immortal.

I guess its just better if there is a gap, especially since they probably couldnt do justice to what most people have in mind. Just like Konami and the 1999 Dracula battle.

Azure J

You know, I really hate the Zero series sometimes just because this whole idea of robo-mortality hadn't been stretched to its fullest with the one vehicle that could have done it some justice. Why we never got the equivalent of a Light capsule with "vaguely specific Wily AI" or just hints at the classic bots just chillin' in cyberspace -- the supposed home for robotic logic/"souls" -- is beyond me.

On that note, I feel like the Zero series brought the biggest potential that went underutilized within the franchise from a thematic standpoint. To this day, I'm still kinda miffed that they never went full hog with the playing up of Mythologies following the robots that ended all the X series wars. That bit in the Zero Perfect Works about the Ten Shining Arms supposedly used by X & others that helped end the war with him had potential for some wild Musketeer/Knights of the Round Table stuff. [/nerdery]

And speaking of problems with the Zero series, the reason the guardians are not Z4 is complete, and total bullshit.

Aside from MMX3 SNES having better music than the saturn/PS1/collection release, is there any real reason to get the original titles again if i've already got X collection?

Hmm, X6 in collection doesn't have voiced cutscenes.

Kokonoe

Banned
To be honest, I haven't played X6, X7, or X8. Mega Man Anniversary Collection introduced me to the classic series. I also haven't beaten X5 yet as I had a save whipe a few times on a faulty memory card, i'm working on it right now, though.

Without time stop, yeah.

Time stop? Is there some method of doing this that I am unaware of?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The differences are pretty minor overall. Some effects like the exploding windows and Sigma boss explosions relied on slowdown not present in the PS version. Music isn't a code-generated loop but a pre-recorded track on repeat.

It's a weapon just like in MM2.
Yup, it's an homage to those damn lasers in Quick Man's stage and the Wily Castle stages, with the same solution. You get the time stop from the super easy bat boss, whatever his name was.

Noi

Time stop? Is there some method of doing this that I am unaware of?

I think Hitokage meant Dark Hold.

Edit: Beaten like Mega Man.

I wish I could mix and match between the SNES and PS1 tracks. It's probably as a result of having played the PC version first, but I heavily prefer the PC/PS1/Saturn takes on the stage themes over the SNES tracks. :/

Of particular note, the SNES version of Blast Hornet and the PS1 version. The second actually feel like it has a melody and composition to it.

Teknoman

I think Hitokage meant Dark Hold.

Edit: Beaten like Mega Man.

I wish I could mix and match between the SNES and PS1 tracks. It's probably as a result of having played the PC version first, but I heavily prefer the PC/PS1/Saturn takes on the stage themes over the SNES tracks. :/

Of particular note, the SNES version of Blast Hornet and the PS1 version. The second actually feel like it has a melody and composition to it.

lol that is one of the two tracks im focused on as well. I think the SNES version of Gravity Beetle and Blast Hornet just sound much better. Blast Hornet just seems like its meant to be a hard, driving theme.

Noi

lol that is one of the two tracks im focused on as well. I think the SNES version of Gravity Beetle and Blast Hornet just sound much better. Blast Hornet just seems like its meant to be a hard, driving theme.

Haha, like I said, I'm aware that it's probably just a preference due to them being the first versions of the songs I ever heard. Hell, it's weird for me start the game and not have this opening pop up, or the opening for the intro level.

Azure J

SNES Gravity Beetle is seriously too good. It got a heavier instrumentation than anything in X1 or 2 but I feel like it is in some ways, a song that was born around the same time most of X1's soundtrack came about.

The PS1 soundtrack btw, is bad. (IMO of course) It's OK to listen to if you don't know better, but when compared to its source material,. it's just nowhere in the same league. That and then there's stuff like the Doppler Stage Theme loop being so horribly done on top of its lighter feel or the boss theme just being dull to hear in repetition.

Teknoman

Haha, like I said, I'm aware that it's probably just a preference due to them being the first versions of the songs I ever heard. Hell, it's weird for me start the game and not have this opening pop up, or the opening for the intro level.

Yeah if its one thing i'd keep from the PS1/Saturn release, its the intro cutscenes. I'd leave the normal SNES boss intros though. Something just seems off about the tone of the intro theme in the disc versions.

Sciz

So if everything just sorta ended peacefully after Dr. Light and Wily passed away...what happened to Megaman, Roll, Rush, Protoman, Bass, etc.? They just got sealed away, put in a robot museum, or eventually shut down?

In the specific case of Proto Man, he's already doomed due to his faulty power core.

Teknoman

Quint is from the future, yes, but he's still from an era where Wily and Light are still alive. That doesn't answer what happens to them, though they very likely get rusty and malfunction.

Dr. Wily stole the experimental Time Skimmer and traveled years into the future, where he found that Mega Man had been remodeled back into a household robot, and that his future self reformed from his evil ways. Dr. Wily was able to convince his future self to help him abduct the now defenseless Mega Man. The future Mega Man was brainwashed and modified back into a battle robot, becoming Quint.

What the...I never knew this! Guess it's because I never played the Game Boy games.

Videoneon

SNES Gravity Beetle is seriously too good. It got a heavier instrumentation than anything in X1 or 2 but I feel like it is in some ways, a song that was born around the same time most of X1's soundtrack came about.

The PS1 soundtrack btw, is bad. (IMO of course) It's OK to listen to if you don't know better, but when compared to its source material,. it's just nowhere in the same league. That and then there's stuff like the Doppler Stage Theme loop being so horribly done on top of its lighter feel or the boss theme just being dull to hear in repetition.

Totally agreed. I think that the PSX version of the X3 soundtrack is surprisingly watered down compared to the SNES version.

Favorite Sigma battle theme: Sigma 1st - X5 , good call Sigmaaah

Favorite Maverick fight theme: Mega Man X5

Favorite Fortress themes: I can't do this, there are lots of good ones

X1 - Sigma Stage 1
X2 - Counter Hunter Stage 1
X3 - Doppler Stage 1
X4 - Final Weapon Stage 2
X5 - Zero Stage 2
X8 - Jakob Elevator

Teknoman

Totally agreed. I think that the PSX version of the X3 soundtrack is surprisingly watered down compared to the SNES version.

X1 - Sigma Stage 1
X3 - Doppler Stage 1
X5 - Zero Stage 2
X8 - Jakob Elevator

I thought I was the only one that thought X5's Maverick battle theme was the best. Stuff is amazingly tense, yet fits the fights perfectly. One Megaman game I hardly see anyone talking about is Megaman & Bass. Going to have to track down the SNES release for that and MMX3 at some point. I know the GBA version can probably be found for alot less, but i'm sure its watered down in some form.

Im good with the collections for the original series and X for everything else though. Still own my original MM2 cartridge...so if I come across others for cheap, i'll definitely snag them.

Teknoman

Crush Crawfish has really started to grow on me. Both theme and design.

1264283101861_f.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Dr. Wily stole the experimental Time Skimmer and traveled years into the future, where he found that Mega Man had been remodeled back into a household robot, and that his future self reformed from his evil ways. Dr. Wily was able to convince his future self to help him abduct the now defenseless Mega Man. The future Mega Man was brainwashed and modified back into a battle robot, becoming Quint.

What the...I never knew this! Guess it's because I never played the Game Boy games.

Time travel is always fucking weird. Why doesn't Wily go back in time to destroy Mega Man? Logic bounds me. I guess these villains don't know any better. Wily goes forward to steal Mega Man, and characters like Dr. Eggman and Bowser go back in time to do evil shit. None of them actually use time travel to kill the people who destroy their plots, but then there would be no video games. :3

Videoneon

I thought I was the only one that thought X5's Maverick battle theme was the best. Stuff is amazingly tense, yet fits the fights perfectly. One Megaman game I hardly see anyone talking about is Megaman & Bass. Going to have to track down the SNES release for that and MMX3 at some point. I know the GBA version can probably be found for alot less, but i'm sure its watered down in some form.

Im good with the collections for the original series and X for everything else though. Still own my original MM2 cartridge...so if I come across others for cheap, i'll definitely snag them.

Oh no, X5's Maverick theme is awesome--it totally matches the tense, urgent and critical mood of X5 well.

As for Mega Man & Bass I have a funny story about that. Remember when the Game Boy Advance wasn't region locked? When Rockman & Forte first came out for the GBA, there weren't any immediate plans to localize the game. I wanted it so bad I went to an import store and got it. I had to fumble around with the shop to figure out what "Yes" and "No" were, but a platformer like this game is not a bad choice for someone who knew little Japanese.

First and only Japanese game I bought, don't really regret it even though it was localized later.

Some good stuff off of X3:

Gravity Beetle (it's so good)
Blizzard Buffalo
Vile Stage
Toxic Seahorse
Crush Crawfish
Doppler Stage 1

Time travel is always fucking weird. Why doesn't Wily go back in time to destroy Mega Man? Logic bounds me. I guess these villains don't know any better. Wily goes forward to steal Mega Man, and characters like Dr. Eggman and Bowser go back in time to do evil shit. None of them actually use time travel to kill the people who destroy their plots, but then there would be no video games. :3

Well, logical or not, you've got to admit that turning a future Rock into Quint to have him fight his past self is pretty damn evil.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In the interest of full disclosure: I hated X3's soundtrack as a kid and I'm still not crazy about it.

X1 sigma stage boss intro and theme are my favorite. (X1 Maverick intro is also good.)

Although I love MMZ1's boss music probably just as much. Bosses need to be tense, losable affairs and funky themes don't really do that justice.

In the interest of full disclosure: I hated X3's soundtrack as a kid and I'm still not crazy about it.

X1 sigma stage boss intro and theme are my favorite. (X1 Maverick intro is also good.)

Although I love MMZ1's boss music probably just as much. Bosses need to be tense, losable affairs and funky themes don't really do that justice.

I'm gonna get flamed to hell and back for this, but I actually never liked X3's soundtrack as a whole. I like Blizzard Buffalo, Gravity Beetle, and Blast Hornet, the rest are extremely generic muffled rock blaring repetitively out of the speakers. Strangely enough, that crappy style of music was never really explored again in the series, and to me it stands out pretty badly like a sore thumb.

The X2 soundtrack, by contrast, is EXTREMELY fucking good and it's a damn shame no one ever remembers it. It's so good. SO GOOD. >:O

The X1 soundtrack is great too, but I actually owned that game as a kid and heard the songs so much I just take them for granted.

Teknoman

I'm gonna get flamed to hell and back for this, but I actually never liked X3's soundtrack as a whole. I like Blizzard Buffalo, Gravity Beetle, and Blast Hornet, the rest are extremely generic muffled rock blaring repetitively out of the speakers. Strangely enough, that crappy style of music was never really explored again in the series, and to me it stands out pretty badly like a sore thumb.

The X2 soundtrack, by contrast, is EXTREMELY fucking good and it's a damn shame no one ever remembers it. It's so good. SO GOOD. >:O

The X1 soundtrack is great too, but I actually owned that game as a kid and heard the songs so much I just take them for granted.

Oh X2 is great as well, it just seems like no one really talks about the game in general.

The intro stage theme flying across the desert on a speeder, Magna Centipede, Bubble Crab, Morph Moth (especially Morph Moth), and Wire Sponge are stand out tracks for me.

The rest are just kinda...there. That and I just dont like Wheel Gator.

Razek

Banned
edit: ^Aw, man! Wheel gator is so catchy!

I'm with you on X3. It's good for the notable tracks which you mentioned, otherwise I can't even recall the music. X2 was pretty good but had some duds too. It really shined in the sigma stages. I loved every single song on the MMX soundtrack though.

Foffy

Banned
Well, logical or not, you've got to admit that turning a future Rock into Quint to have him fight his past self is pretty damn evil.

True. It would have been even eviler to do the same thing to other robots, too. Having a massive army of good robots turned bad, but I don't remember if the time machine is destroyed in the Game Boy games.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
X3 can be fun but the AI is pretty dumb. Crush Crawfish helps you dodge his own attacks, and you can beat Neon Tiger without moving from your starting point for much of the match.

qq more

Most of the opinions I remember about it is that it is the weakest SNES game, not sure how that counts as overrated :T

Really? I'm surprised. A lot of people I know LOVES X3 and considers it the best of the X series. Good to know I'm definitely not alone. I beat the game twice and I still didn't get the love some people had for it.

This isn't to say X3 is a bad game though. Far from it. It's pretty good but X1, X2 and X4 outclasses it.

Teknoman

I like MMX4 gameplay and Maverick design wise, but the soundtrack just seemed a little too... synthy? Honestly i'm not sure of the word i'm looking for, but for some reason it just doesnt sound like Megaman music to me. Its the first X game where I havent liked the majority of the tracks. The intro stage Sky Lagoon was great, and the animated intro, but thats about it for me.

Videoneon

On the whole, X3 OST...very hit or miss; some are great, others are boring (Tunnel Rhino, Blast Hornet, Neon Tiger, Volt Catfish, Kaiser Sigma) It has tracks I like (they all have tracks I like) but it's closer to the mid-bottom for me out of the main 8 titles. Ultimately outdone by others, because X Series is largely great for music.

X5 and X1: too close to call for me...Okay, X5.

X4: very upbeat. So happy Opening Stage X was chosen for X's theme in Project X Zone.
X2: it mostly sounds very good, it feels very tailored to each of its own stages. Only one I don't like is Agile stage

X6: mostly good, bleak but energized, but I think has some phenomenal stinkers too: Metal Shark, Menu musics
X3: almost half good and bad, doesn't help that there's no prevailing mood. Not much better than

X8: it's okay, almost half good (Inferno, Central White, Troia Mission) and half bad (Mines,
Dynasty, Sigma Palace) like X3. blander compared to other games. Except Dynasty REALLY sucks. It's way ahead of...
X7: too many bad songs, most lacking in impact overall.

Apparently the guy making Mega Man X Corrupted considers X3 the best SNES game. I don't see it, though he is going for the customizability that X3 had somewhat.

SkyOdin

X4 is my favorite X game, probably because it is the first Mega Man title I actually owned. Before, I had rented or borrowed all of the Mega Man games I ever played. As a result, it is the Mega Man game I have sunk the most time into. It still took me forever to beat Sigma in it, particularly with Zero.

Similarly, my favorite Classic games are Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 4. Mega Man 3 gets points for being the first videogame I ever played, way back in the day. My very first gaming memory is watching someone play through Magnet Man's stage. Mega Man 4 was the first one I rented, and played through on my own NES. Of course, I also really like the robot masters and stages from both games too, particularly Toad Man, Snake Man, Gemini Man, Magnet Man, and Pharaoh Man.

I don't really know what to say about music though. I like most of it. To be honest though, I think my favorite Mega Man songs are probably found in the Battle Network and Star Force games. I really liked the main theme songs from most of those. Other than that, I have trouble placing specific songs.

Really? I'm surprised. A lot of people I know LOVES X3 and considers it the best of the X series. Good to know I'm definitely not alone. I beat the game twice and I still didn't get the love some people had for it.

This isn't to say X3 is a bad game though. Far from it. It's pretty good but X1, X2 and X4 outclasses it.

Yeah, I'm surprised too. The game is by no means bad but I always thought the general consensus was that X3 was the absolute best of the X games, both from a gameplay and soundtrack standpoint.

Teknoman

How about Network Transmission? Seems like anything with ARIKA involved has catchy music (see Street Fighter EX+a). Gameplay wasnt bad either, or at least it didnt seem that way back then. One MM game i've been meaning to replay as well, especially since I honestly cant remember whether I beat it or not. The boss intros looked really great in action, and the special effects were just as nice.

Solune

And speaking of problems with the Zero series, the reason the guardians are not Z4 is complete, and total bullshit.

Hmm, X6 in collection doesn't have voiced cutscenes.
Guardians not being in Z4 is only the tip of the iceberg in the colossal mess of Z4.

X1 - Sigma Stage 1
X3 - Doppler Stage 1
X5 - Zero Stage 2
X8 - Jakob Elevator
X5 - Zero Stage 2 is godlike for sure. And I agree the PSX version doesn't really do the SNES version justice.

Most of the opinions I remember about it is that it is the weakest SNES game, not sure how that counts as overrated :T
Yah that seems to be the consensus. Most people seem to like X1 or X4 as their favorite. Personally I think X4 is overrated while X3 is my favorite though.
How about Network Transmission? Seems like anything with ARIKA involved has catchy music (see Street Fighter EX+a). Gameplay wasnt bad either, or at least it didnt seem that way back then. One MM game i've been meaning to replay as well, especially since I honestly cant remember whether I beat it or not. The boss intros looked really great in action, and the special effects were just as nice.

Network Transmission's Fireman is the best track in that game, although I already posted that in the underrated Megaman tracks thread. Most people probably overlooked the game itself.

Teknoman

Heh decided to check ebay right before getting some sleep, and I found Rockman X3 for 25 bucks. Would have liked to had the English SNES version, but the JP version will do just fine. English version is just way too expensive.

Top Bottom