• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Pietepiet

Just ordered the StarForce Complete Works book. Now I only need Zero in English to complete the collection.

Man, I wish they'd make ZX and Legends books :\

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heh decided to check ebay right before getting some sleep, and I found Rockman X3 for 25 bucks. Would have liked to had the English SNES version, but the JP version will do just fine. English version is just way too expensive.
I consider myself lucky I found an SNES cart of X3 in good condition relatively cheaply in a local shop. I remember the prices on Amazon marketplace being a tad high for my liking.

My X1 and X2 carts are the same ones I've owned since the early 90s, but I only rented X3 and later got it with the ps2 MMXC.

Teknoman

I consider myself lucky I found an SNES cart of X3 in good condition relatively cheaply in a local shop. I remember the prices on Amazon marketplace being a tad high for my liking.

My X1 and X2 carts are the same ones I've owned since the early 90s, but I only rented X3 and later got it with the ps2 MMXC.

I wish I could say the same. With some of my favorite series, I wish I wouldnt have been so trade happy as a kid.

I wonder what made the values skyrocket, no virtual console releases? And on that note, whats with Rockman 8 Saturn version being so expensive now?

Next to the excellent Fire Man music in Network Transmission I like Phaoroh Man's the most (Then again, I'm a huge Phaoroh Man fan anyway...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdsmoNI3n8

The original Megaman X still edges out the other two Snes games for me in terms of gameplay and music. Maybe like Megaman 2 its the game I grew up with playing the most hence why I favour it over them or what I don't know. One thing I do miss from all subsequent X games is the way clearing certain stages in a certain order in the original X game affects the other stages in certain ways - Flame Mammoths stage being frozen over if Chill Penguin is beaten first. Spark Mandrill's level has blackouts if Storm Eagle is cleared first, Sting Chameleon's stage being slightly flooded should Launch Octopus be beaten first etc. I really loved the little touches like this in the game and still wish it was utilized more for the sequels.

One thing I did like about X3 was all the hidden armour and boss battles that could be accessed throughout the game - X's Gold Armour that could equip all the chips found, beating Bit and Byte gives you an entirely different boss battle, earning the Z Saber as X etc. Such cool little additions meant I replayed X3 loads of times just to see all the different things the game had to offer.

For the classic series I find it hard to pick between any of the "8 bit" titles (including 9 and 10). For me I've always preferred this style to how Megaman looked and handled in 7, 8 and R&F. The series just feels faster somehow - the fanmade 8 bit demake of Megaman 7 kinda proves this for me, it just feels much faster compared to the Snes version and I honestly enjoy it more because of it. That said the hidden Protoman boss fight in Megaman 7 is one of my favourite secrets of the series, right up there with the hilariously easy Cut Man boss fight in X8.

I wonder what made the values skyrocket, no virtual console releases?

Especially true for Wily Wars. That game has been climbing in price for the last couple of years. No physical USA release, the games PAL and Japanese release is pretty desirable now for collectors and Megaman fans alike plus it has the awesome exclusive Wily Tower levels. I'm so glad I managed to grab one for myself just before the prices got stupid.

Kokonoe

Banned
Must unlock kart racer in X collection now.
Or put the disc in my PC and use some cheat device on an emulator.

qq more

Just ordered the StarForce Complete Works book. Now I only need Zero in English to complete the collection.

Man, I wish they'd make ZX and Legends books :\

...That reminds me I should buy the art books. I only have the classic one (and thank god I did, I think the price skyrocketed at some point).

I feel somewhat lucky, I already owned MMX1 and MMX2 from my child hood and had a funcoland that still had copies of X3 and 7 which I got for my B-DAY and Xmas respectfully. I'll always have particularly fond memories of MMX2 because unlike X1 which I beat when I was really young, it took me a lot longer to beat X2 and I actually beat the game at my grandmothers house with my family watching.

Pietepiet

...That reminds me I should buy the art books. I only have the classic one (and thank god I did, I think the price skyrocketed at some point).

Any idea if the notes in the Zero one are worth it? I have the book in Japanese, and while I liked reading all the notes in the previous Complete Works books, buying the same book twice is....I dunno

Also, this whole thread has got me wanting to sketch up some Mega Man redesigns/ideas for a new series. But it will just end up in me being bummed we'll never get it.

To this day I still don't understand why Megaman's Soccer never got released in Europe, bearing in mind how popular the sport is I'd have thought it would have been a no brainer?

I have a soft spot for Battle and Chase. I hated the game by the end of it when it came to the Bass and Wily races the third time round, insanely hard and unfair in many cases. On the other hand it had a surprisingly decent amount of single player hidden content to go after if you put up with the game long enough - the hidden parts, the races against the black sniper joe and black yellow devil and of course doing absolutely everything in the single player mode gives you Duo to use in the Vs mode.

Even weirder than the Soccer or Battle and Chase though is the odd stuff to come out of Asia - PC releases that are apparantly licensed by Capcom. Stuff like Rockman Strategy (turn based RPG), Rockman IQ Challenge (educational mini game puzzle collection), Rockman X Math Tornado (X based math game) and Rockman Gold Empire (Monopoly/Sim City-ish style game staring Rockman characters)

qq more

Any idea if the notes in the Zero one are worth it? I have the book in Japanese, and while I liked reading all the notes in the previous Complete Works books, buying the same book twice is....I dunno

No idea yet. I'll let you know when I buy it!

Also, this whole thread has got me wanting to sketch up some Mega Man redesigns/ideas for a new series. But it will just end up in me being bummed we'll never get it.
There's always fangaming! I would totally make one if I didn't already have 2 game projects.

tumblr_m8zk4to7fr1rujp4jo1_400.jpg

megarockmanios_610.jpg

Mega Man Xover, the social-rpg-action mobile game for iOS devices was first shown last month, but now we get to see the game in action for a few fleeting moments.

The trailer spends a lot of time flashing Japanese text all over the screen and showing off Mega Man's new look. He has a warm furry collar connected to his non-existent jacket, because even robots get cold, I assume. The trailer shows only a few moments of real gameplay with a little bit of menu navigation.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/22/mega-man-xover-for-ios-gets-a-japanese-trailer.aspx

I always wanted a NGPC... til I realized it isn't backlit :(

or am I wrong? I hope I am

One can be modded to be backlit, but it isn't backlit out of the box. The screen isn't as bad as other handhelds I've used though (damn you GBA!).

My only complaints with the NGPC port of Battle and Fighters are the music and difficulty. There is a sparce number of tracks included so I get bored of hearing the same 2-3 tracks quickly and its far too easy, even on the hardest mode (I've 1CC'ed the arcade versions on the hardest difficulty and this game pales in comparison in that department). Saying that seeing all the characters in an awesome updated 8 bit style was a great graphical choice on Capcom's part and technically the game includes all the characters, loads of animations and moves so re the music I wonder if the cart was crammed to the brim with animation etc. that they were simply unable to include the full soundtrack due to space contraints?

Pietepiet

The sprites in that game are so good. LOVE that Crashman.

crashman.png

Game is rare as hell, though. One of the few really expensive NGPC games, I think. Easily goes for over 100 bucks

I have a confession to make. Compared to the number of games that actually exist, I've technically barely played any Mega Man games. I took a huge break before Mega Man 9 and giving Zero Collection a try on the DS.

I didn't like how comically serious the X series was and I hated Zero, so I only rented X2 and 3 and don't even remember anything about them, and never bothered past that. I played a bit of Legends 1 and enjoyed it but never finished it, only watched LPs of Legends 2 and Tron Bonne, and I've never touched an EXE or Battle Network or whatever they're called. Didn't play the NGPC game, didn't play the Soccer game, didn't play Rockman and Forte, and skipped 7 and 8 because I hated the art style and thought the series was a parody of itself by that point. I never owned a Game Boy, so I never played those either. And maybe worst of all, I never finished Mega Man 6.

Oh, I do think I played the arcade game once.

So having said all this, aside from finishing 6, is it a dumb question to ask what folks think is worth trying to get my hands on at this point? The art style and concept of the EXE games really turned me off at the age I was at the time, but I've heard good things about the gameplay. Should I give X another chance, and if so up to what point, X5? Have mercy on this old, formerly estranged fan.

It's okay. I haven't played that many MM games yet, and you've completed many more than I have. I'm mostly here to talk about Legends and Classic. You can tell from the low-protein content of my other posts, lol.

Noi

Give the original MMX a shot, as it's pretty much the best version of the X formula without getting overly complicated and has the least amount of plot. If you still don't like it, then you have no soul should look up how the other subseries play like. Outside of Classic, they tend to be pretty plot heavy.

Azure J

Favorite Fortress themes: I can't do this, there are lots of good ones

X1 - Sigma Stage 1
X2 - Counter Hunter Stage 1
X3 - Doppler Stage 1
X4 - Final Weapon Stage 2
X5 - Zero Stage 2
X8 - Jakob Elevator

X1 - Sigma Stage 1
X2 - Counter Hunter Stage 1
X3 - Doppler Stage 1
X4 - Final Weapon Stage 1
X5 - Zero Stage 2
X6 - Gate Laboratory 1
X8 - Jakob Elevator

And while we're doing this:

X1 - First Sigma & Final Sigma
x4 - Boss Theme, Double Boss Theme, & Final Sigma Battle
X6 - Standard Boss & Gate's Theme
X5 - X vs. Zero, Sigma 1 & Normal Boss Theme
X8 - VS. Final Lumine

Favorite boss themes right there.

And speaking of problems with the Zero series, the reason the guardians are not Z4 is complete, and total bullshit.

The Guardians were some of my favorite characters in the entierty of the series just because of how different a take they were on the "rival" types that come out to pose a roadblock for the protagonists. It also doesn't help that for all the comments on making them "fleshed out", two got troped up, one died and is only awesome in Voice Track material and the leader got goddamned awesome only to spend most of the best game in the series MIA.

ZX shouldn't have happened. I'd have played the shit out of a legitimate Guardians game. :p

Also, yeah Z4 is another "great game to play, bad game overall" but I'm biased.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, why do people hate Maverick Hunter X music? I thought they were very good remixes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Then again I'm reading youtube comments. Probably too much 16 bit music nostalgia.

I really love the rendition of Storm Eagle and Armor Armadillo.

Give the original MMX a shot, as it's pretty much the best version of the X formula without getting overly complicated and has the least amount of plot. If you still don't like it, then you have no soul should look up how the other subseries play like. Outside of Classic, they tend to be pretty plot heavy.

Oh, X1 is one of my favorite games and I still play it (mentioned on a previous page is all). My interest in the entire franchise just dipped to a point that surprised even me after it, and I guess I needed a break. It's just the break ended up being a lot longer than I ever intended, and I'm not sure what of all that I missed is worth giving a try.

On a related note, why do people hate Maverick Hunter X music? I thought they were very good remixes.

I'd comment on the music, except I usually had the sound turned down because there's no way to turn only the voices off :p

A couple of tracks don't feel as meaty and guitar-rich as the old tracks. Often times, though, the sound mastering clumps channels together and makes each sample sound indefinite when playing or even just listening to the music. Some tracks really benefited from the techno rearrangements, though. Boomer Kuwanger's track never sounded better.

A couple of tracks don't feel as meaty and guitar-rich as the old tracks. Often times, though, the sound mastering clumps channels together and makes each sample sound indefinite when playing or even just listening to the music. Some tracks really benefited from the techno rearrangements, though. Boomer Kuwanger's track never sounded better.

I don't think you can make Armored Armadillo's music come across better than it does on the SNES soundchip.

I played it earlier this year and none of the remixes stick in my head at all, i'd have to go look them up but my main issue was...

Too much guitar, maybe?
This along with some really basic electronic vibe that dominates all the songs to my memory, it's not exactly bad but I feel the SNES version destroys it and that ain't nostalgia talking, I played that this year as well.

And Boomer Kuwanger sounds like some generic club as opposed to a foreboding tower, I can't see that as better Dragoon.

I don't think you can make Armored Armadillo's music come across better than it does on the SNES soundchip.
I had it stuck in my head all day at work earlier, i'm almost inclined to agree but Ska style sounds damn good.

Top Bottom