• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

? Why shouldn't players doing good get good things? High ranked players are the ones that need to restrict themselves in the first place anyways, the cyber elves are there for the others if they need help finishing.

I just recall hearing horror stories at the time about how if you don't go out of your way to get good ranks, the game gets insanely hard far too quickly. Obviously good players should be rewarded to some extent, but there's a balancing act that, to my understanding, wasn't performed correctly.

Although later games were better about it than earlier ones.

SkyOdin

I can't help but think the scoring system sounds incredibly stupid.
No, it is actually extremely straight-forward in practice. It means that in order to get an A rank you just need to clear a stage in a single life while not messing up too badly. Since Zero 1 already encourages players to beat missions without dying due to its punishing continue system, the main gap between A rank play and low-rank play is whether or not you use Cyber-Elves.

Plus, IIRC, good rewards are handed out to high-ranked players. Y'know, the ones who don't need the rewards.
For the most part, the EX Skills actually are not all that good. Some of them can be useful, but Cyber-Elves are much, much stronger in practice. They are mostly just fun to use, which makes them a pretty good "carrot-on-the-stick" to encourage players to try for higher scores. It isn't unlike how you could unlock stuff in Goldeneye 64 by clearing stages under certain time-limits.

EDIT:
I just recall hearing horror stories at the time about how if you don't go out of your way to get good ranks, the game gets insanely hard far too quickly. Obviously good players should be rewarded to some extent, but there's a balancing act that, to my understanding, wasn't performed correctly.

Although later games were better about it than earlier ones.
Ah, that is a factor of Zero 1's continue system, where you get a finite number of continues. If you continue too much in that game early on, it becomes much harder down the road when you need those continues for the final areas.

That is a completely different matter than EX-Skills, since they changed that system at the same time they implemented EX-skills. Zero 2 and onward give the player a minimum of two continues at the start of every stage, so you don't run out like you can in Zero 1. Zero 2 and Zero 3, the games where you can earn EX-Skills via rank, are generally much more forgiving than Zero 1.

The main purpose of the EX-SKills is really to give a player aiming for rank a little extra boost to help them keep the momentum up. Maintaining an A rank is hard. Just because you can get the first one doesn't mean you can keep it up for another nine stages.

In any event, it isn't too hard to get half of the EX-skills on a regular, cyber-elf using, playthrough, thanks to the existence of rank boosting elves.

Tizoc

Anyone else read Megaman #30?
Yardley needs to start being the regular in this book, Ben Bates can be on the Sonic comics.
Metalman does not fuck around, and I'm rather interested in Shadowman's hidden agenda

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thanks for the tips thus far, lots of good info to plod through. I'm on the final boss of Zero 1 right now (I assume) and getting my ass handed to me a bit, this is the first time i've ever been truly challenged in a Mega Man game. In my childhood people always talked about the original and X series being so difficult, but this is the only time I've actually been slapped around and had to really nut up. Not having any sub tanks and such is a real pain.

Edit: Just beat the last boss, cool enough ending, but I feel a tad exhausted from the experience lol.
You can impose the same play choices on the X series and it will start to challenge you much more. That is, avoiding anything not absolutely forced on you. It also toys with a ranking system later on but doesn't really do much with it.

The Zero series fleshes all of these concepts out more into a proper inplementation. The choice between using all the extra powerups and doing without is much more apparent.

Nerokis

So, something pretty unexpected has happened. First of all, I picked up Mega Man on the Virtual Console a few months ago, and this was my initial impression of the game:

I have a feeling this also has something to do with playing it on the 3DS, but the physics, the hit detection, the art direction, the level design, the punishing mechanics, the music... It all combines to form an almost surreal experience for me. I'm not used to this little guy (look at how tiny Mega Man is!) jumping twice his height, with no actual sense of momentum I can perceive, ever so floatily. On the other hand, whereas you land perfectly still from a jump, I'm still really not used to the ever so slight slide Mega Man does when he stops running. Working with these physics, memorizing the block patterns, choosing which block to jump to, timing it all correctly, whilst avoiding the stupid little spike thing (thinking ice level here).... Good god, it's just so different. :p

I can feel myself adjusting. I finally beat the ice dude. Damn those stupid helicopter things. And I never thought I'd ever hate penguins.

After that, I messed around a bit in Elec Man's level, and then quickly moved on to the Zero and X series. I pick it up again months later, and after a couple hours, I've pretty much cruised to Dr. Wily's stage. It just all clicked, somehow. The joy of the classic Mega Man series is really shining through now, and I'm excited to see how Mega Man 2 refined the experience. It's pretty neat finally interacting with these characters I've read and heard so much about, too.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
Anyone else read Megaman #30?
Yardley needs to start being the regular in this book, Ben Bates can be on the Sonic comics.
Metalman does not fuck around, and I'm rather interested in Shadowman's hidden agenda
Wait, I think you got the names mixed up...
This is Yardley's work
This is Bate's work.

Unless though, you liked Yardley's interpretation of Mega man which alot were iffy on. I for one think that Bates is the best artist
Behind Spaziante
for the job and his work on the MM2 arc was spectacular.

Just finished Mega Man X2 on Wii U virtual console.

I love me some Mega Man, but this game is actually pretty awful, which I find very surprising since I loved X1 and X3. Also, is it normal that this game has so much fps drops during boss fights and slightly busier moments? It's near unplayable at certain parts. I'm just wondering if it's due to the emulator or if it was originally like this on SNES.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh coolness. I'll listen to that a little later. Thanks for the heads-up.

Meanwhile in Dead Rising 3:

bHgzu7g.png

Protoman's cutout can become a weapon now.

I love me some Mega Man, but this game is actually pretty awful, which I find very surprising since I loved X1 and X3. Also, is it normal that this game has so much fps drops during boss fights and slightly busier moments? It's near unplayable at certain parts. I'm just wondering if it's due to the emulator or if it was originally like this on SNES.

That's crazy. It's always been X2 > X1 > X3 for me. I do think I recall what you mean by slowdown in the original, but I'd hardly call it unplayable.

post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

That's crazy. It's always been X2 > X1 > X3 for me. I do think I recall what you mean by slowdown in the original, but I'd hardly call it unplayable.

Weird, just checked some Youtube footage of the Crystal Snail fight, hardly any drops in fps and I had it near constant in that fight (and I don't mean his special move in the second phase). The Wii U virtual console emulator must be the cause then.

Tizoc

Wait, I think you got the names mixed up...
This is Yardley's work
This is Bate's work.

Unless though, you liked Yardley's interpretation of Mega man which alot were iffy on. I for one think that Bates is the best artist
Behind Spaziante
for the job and his work on the MM2 arc was spectacular.

I personally prefer Yardley and the work he did during the Worlds Collide art on Megaman. Ben Bates' art on the Sonic comic has been good, I recall some pre-reboot stories he did were among my fav. of his works.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
I personally prefer Yardley and the work he did during the Worlds Collide art on Megaman. Ben Bates' art on the Sonic comic has been good, I recall some pre-reboot stories he did were among my fav. of his works.

Not gonna lie, while Yardley does do a good job at drawing Sonic, his Mega man interpretation felt way off and it sparks a contrast between the first and the third act of the crossover. Don't get me wrong, I respect the artist (checked out a few of his works on his art blog too) but Mega man is not his style. Glad Archie did not go on with his concept art for the blue bomber:
FDer7Rd.jpg

Videoneon

I decided to think about some special weapons and Mega Man X - which ones do I appreciate most?

X1:
Homing Torpedo: it does your work for you sometimes, the degree to which you can use this to speed through stages is iffy but still useful. You can at least manipulate this weapon to attack.
Chameleon Sting: badass charged version, wide range on normal shot, tons of weapon energy
Storm Tornado: the heavy hitter, and you can follow it around

X2:
Bubble Splash: some light aerial damage with normal version, but then the charged version is a godly barrier. yes please.
Speed Burner: Surprisingly long lasting charged version.
Silk Shot: accumulating energy can be nifty indeed. charged silk shot is fun.

X3:
Parasitic Bomb: Charged version can be fun.
Triad Thunder: the basic shield is all you need for isolated threats.
This game is really quite bad with weapons, as I remember it.

X4:
Twin Slasher: lots of WE (which doesn't really matter), decent charged version with as good a range as you can ask for
Frost Tower: Great defensively, and the prime miniboss wrecker.

X5:
Crescent Shot: charged version? yes, I'll take a shield.
I can only really think of that. I think about charged Firefly Laser, Gel Shaver, and Spike Ball, and give up.

X6:
Yammar Option: More firepower I guess. They stick around, too.
Metal Anchor: Charged version is the best thing that X has ever had in his arsenal.

X7:
Volt Tornado: This is the only weapon you need. Takes up a ton of space. X-Buster is absurdly strong, but this is strong against all bosses, except maybe Soldier Stonekong.

X8:
Drift Diamond: It's not strong, but its spammability and freezing capabilities are nice. Shield isn't as useful, but it's a shield!
The special weapons have interesting ideas, but are very situational and weak. Too bad.

Not gonna lie, while Yardley does do a good job at drawing Sonic, his Mega man interpretation felt way off and it sparks a contrast between the first and the third act of the crossover. Don't get me wrong, I respect the artist (checked out a few of his works on his art blog too) but Mega man is not his style. Glad Archie did not go on with his concept art for the blue bomber:
FDer7Rd.jpg

Ooooh. Ouch. That looks bad.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sound/en/discography/disc_xover-00001/

The soundtrack was updated and they added Arcade Man 8-bit version. I was actually fairly impressed when listening to it.

The 8-bit version is better than the original, easy.

The intro is annoying, but otherwise it's an alright composition. It's like a way more caffeinated version of Sheep Man. I was hoping for something at least a little more playful from an arcade-themed boss. But whatever, I don't care about this game.

Hopefully you guys got to check out the boss contest submissions, as that was one fun thing to come out of this.

I think X2 is a good game. It's not terrible, but there's nothing really remarkable about it either., except for the mavericks concepts, buster only fights, "maybe so, but I still don't like you!", and Counter Hunter Stage 1 theme. inferior weapons, inferior music, randomized x-hunter placement are things I dislike.

Dunno how I got unsubscribed from this thread

Not sure how you can mention best MMX1 boss weapons without mentioning flame mammoths weapon. It does lose some of its usefulness once you can charge weapons but nothing shreds enemies faster.

izakq

So my son is a huge Mega Man fan. Recently, he saw some videos of some of the Mega Man Battle Network games on youtube. Now for his 9th birthday coming up, he pretty much put this on his list, and he knows it's a bit different then the other Mega Man games he's played.

Now I'm clueless when it comes to the Battle Network series, as I haven't played any of them. So any recommendations as to which one to get for him?

So my son is a huge Mega Man fan. Recently, he saw some videos of some of the Mega Man Battle Network games on youtube. Now for his 9th birthday coming up, he pretty much put this on his list, and he knows it's a bit different then the other Mega Man games he's played.

Now I'm clueless when it comes to the Battle Network series, as I haven't played any of them. So any recommendations as to which one to get for him?

Well if he has a 3DS/DS you can get him the DS version of Battle Network 5. If you have a Wii there is Network Transmission for the Gamecube what plays like a mix of Battlenetworks chip deck and classic Mega Man platforming. If you have access to a GBA/DS then get him either BN2 or BN3 those are the best.

The battlenetwork series is kind of like a Mega Man card battle series, you make a deck of chips and each turn you 5 random chips which you can load into Mega Man based upon various rules like stack 3 of the same chip or 3 chips that are classified as A chips etc. Once you run out of chips you can use Mega Man's regular buster and dodge until a gauge fills and you get a new set of cards/chips.

qq more

I enjoyed Battle Transmission for the Gamecube but it was kind of flawed... I remember not enjoying some of the boss fights (GUTS MAN) and some of the stages are kind of cheap (quick man lasers done wrong). Still worth a try though, he might like it a lot.

MMBN2, 3 and 6 are great! Totally worth it

If you have a DS, starting from the beginning is not a bad idea although the first game is pretty dated now. 2, 3, and 6 are the best games, with Network Transmission being a a fun spin off. If you only have a 3DS 5 is your only option really, but there's also the Starforce series which is similar and set in the same universe.

izakq

I do have a couple of GBAs, one of which he's using in playing some of the past Pokemon games. I've heard that Network Transmission's difficulty is all over the place, to which I think he might get frustrated with. Looks like MMBN 2 and 3 will be the ones I'll start hunting for. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.

Videoneon

The Battle Network games run for cheap Used on Amazon's Marketplace. The marketplace can be a crapshoot but I've had more success than any sort of inconvenience.

Network Transmission, is a very nice looking game and has an amazing soundtrack. But the beginning, the first two stages (leading up to the Navi bosses) can be unnecessarily rough. Failing to complete a stage in one run is inconvenient, and if you get a Game Over, well screw you, you get a five second Game Over screen and that's it. In the beginning, you don't have many tools to farm Zenny or good battle chips without it being massive slog. While the Fireman segment isn't all that bad, the Gutsman segment is long, and the fight is notoriously fucked up because he does a lot of damage for your un-upgraded self at that point in the game, and Gutsman's hammer comes out fast as hell and his movements can be hard to predict if you don't stand next to him all of the time.
basically with Gutsman, I think normally he only acts after about two seconds, so use that to your advantage and preemptively jump if you're not comfortable with fighting him.

The reason why the Gutsman fight being obnoxious was such a problem is because there aren't save points or checkpoints throughout progressing through the Internet or Comp Systems or whatever. So if you get all the way to Gutsman and get a Game Over, you have to redo that journey from Internet 2 to Internet 4 or whatever it is. Sure, there are checkpoints I think before a Boss Gate and at the start of a new Internet area, but if you Jack Out you can't restart at a checkpoint, and there's no quicksave-like feature.

I recommend it as an interesting experience, but it's got flaws, for sure.

Dunno how I got unsubscribed from this thread

Not sure how you can mention best MMX1 boss weapons without mentioning flame mammoths weapon. It does lose some of its usefulness once you can charge weapons but nothing shreds enemies faster.

I go from Chill Penguin, to Spark Mandrill, to Armored Armadillo, in order and ending with Flame Mammoth. So yeah, I don't get much opportunity to use it. Also helpful for minibosses if you're not inclined to use the rapid fire buster.

Tizoc

Megaman 32 was the Ra Moon arc finale and I personally think it was the best issue of the lot, but oh man DAT ENDING!
Was that one of the Stardroids?!

FDer7Rd.jpg
That looks more like a doodle of sorts to me.

Ah well different strokes for different people I guess

Sciz

That looks more like a doodle of sorts to me.

Ah well different strokes for different people I guess

It came out of a whole batch of art, the rest of which were Archie's pitches to Nintendo.

Not sure that they ever sent the Mega Man stuff in, though, since the story's been that it was Capcom approaching Archie to do the series.

The Battle Network games run for cheap Used on Amazon's Marketplace. The marketplace can be a crapshoot but I've had more success than any sort of inconvenience.

Network Transmission, is a very nice looking game and has an amazing soundtrack. But the beginning, the first two stages (leading up to the Navi bosses) can be unnecessarily rough. Failing to complete a stage in one run is inconvenient, and if you get a Game Over, well screw you, you get a five second Game Over screen and that's it. In the beginning, you don't have many tools to farm Zenny or good battle chips without it being massive slog. While the Fireman segment isn't all that bad, the Gutsman segment is long, and the fight is notoriously fucked up because he does a lot of damage for your un-upgraded self at that point in the game, and Gutsman's hammer comes out fast as hell and his movements can be hard to predict if you don't stand next to him all of the time.
basically with Gutsman, I think normally he only acts after about two seconds, so use that to your advantage and preemptively jump if you're not comfortable with fighting him.

The reason why the Gutsman fight being obnoxious was such a problem is because there aren't save points or checkpoints throughout progressing through the Internet or Comp Systems or whatever. So if you get all the way to Gutsman and get a Game Over, you have to redo that journey from Internet 2 to Internet 4 or whatever it is. Sure, there are checkpoints I think before a Boss Gate and at the start of a new Internet area, but if you Jack Out you can't restart at a checkpoint, and there's no quicksave-like feature.

I recommend it as an interesting experience, but it's got flaws, for sure.

I go from Chill Penguin, to Spark Mandrill, to Armored Armadillo, in order and ending with Flame Mammoth. So yeah, I don't get much opportunity to use it. Also helpful for minibosses if you're not inclined to use the rapid fire buster.

See I usually go chill penguin -> storm eagle -> flame mammoth -> spark mandrill -> rest of weakness order

That way I don't have to repeat stages for items (except chill heart booster) and I have all upgrade sans armor by the third stage. When I was a kid I would also go get the armor upgrade before spark mandrill, now I don't bother as the damage reduction is really pointless as I rarely get hit anymore playing X1.

Kokonoe

Banned
So yeah, X5 is meh.

-Boring bosses.
-Stage select is boring.
j6n7sIA.png

-Zero's voice in-game is weird and not cool like X4.
-Zero has a pointless blaster.
-Moves you get from bosses for the most part aren't really that entertaining.
-Level up feature on the bosses is dumb.
Intro Sigma is just weird, not even cool or fun at all. First time there was a uninteresting intro in a Mega Man X game.
-Alia not bothering you every 5 seconds, despite there being like 8 Mega Man games and 4 X4 games already I don't see why this was needed other than to slow the game down for no reason.
-Story is kind of dumb and isn't gripping. Oh noes, shaking screen Zero don't diiiiie.
-Really boring (?) character. Like really, who cares about Dynamo? I don't!

La6KbMG.png

He just loses all the time and has no interesting feature about him outside of a red visor.

-The level layouts are progressively worse than the first X4 games, like the motorcycle part for instance or later on in that level those dumb timer things. (Squid Adler) Also the water level's intro part is really dull.

so yeah, x5 is borin' =3=

qq more

x5 was full of stupid, not as stupid as x6 (but that isnt saying much), but yeah also really unremarkable until the last few stages

also ugh, who the hell thought it was a good idea to have an extremely slow autoscrolling stage UNDERWATER?

and the whole bosses getting leveled up was such a dumb idea too. why the heck did it take so long to kill each boss in the boss rematch level? so freaking stupid

oh and that quickman-esque level was terrible. vertical scrolling camera + quickman lasers seriously did not mesh well. i constantly get hit by lasers while falling without knowing where is safe. freaking dumb (yes i know i can use the time stopper, but it says something when the level is unplayable without it)

i guess i can say the music was at least pretty good, but that's pretty much a standard in megaman so...

If not for the overall MM fanservice in the game and the last set of levels being a continuity stickler's dream, I think I'd honestly put X5 down there with X6. I remember marking the fuck out when I saw Shadow Devil for the first time.

I'll admit for how shitty x5's level design, boss weapons, boss level system, timer system, and virus systems are, the last few boss fights were pretty awesome iirc.
X vs Zero
in particular is awesome epic

zeemumu

I've got the anniversary edition on PS2 and it's got the same frame drop problems.

Frame rate drops happened in the snes version as well, I didn't mind as it made dodging some attacks a lot easier. X2 is the weakest of the SNES X games but it's still enjoyable imo.

qq more

Yeah I feel the fanservice and the finale (which is mostly fanservice anyways) is the only thing that sets X5 apart... but outside of that, weak game. Such a shame because X4 was such a strong game and then we get this as a follow up :/

After having loved X1 and X4 for the PC, I was really looking forward to X5 when the PC port finally came out, and have a US boxed copy of the game, but yeah, it disappointed me. X5 is a decent game, and is far better than X6 is, but it's nowhere near X4 or X1, unfortunately. The level designs and game progression aren't as good, the PC port looks a little rougher -- it needed a patch to fix some timing errors, and you have to choose a "save file bank" then the file in that bank, as if it's still on the PS1 where you have two memory card slots... the previous game wasn't like that, the timer system was bad and very annoying... it's just all-around not as great of a game. I eventually gave up in the first Sigma level, because I found the Black Demon impossible to beat. Never did get past that.

X4 was amazing, though, so it was a high standard it was comparing to, but it didn't match up. Still, it's a decent game, maybe good. Also, playing X6 will make X5 look better for sure!

X5 I remember being the first game where I literally did the 8 bosses in order starting at the top of the left column moving down then doing the right column from top to bottom. Killed every boss on my first try alternating each stage between X and Zero :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Crossposting cuz I know you guys actually aren't going to drive-by post with "cancelled"

Capcom's celebrating X's 20th anniversary by releasing a pile of CDs, but what are any of you planning to do for it this year? Granted, despite the X series becoming more about Zero and less about Mega Man in terms of narrative, I still find the series synonymous with X, at least.

I might play something Mega Man X-related later today when I get home or maybe after VGCW. I have every X game now, so that shouldn't be a problem. Actually, I was thinking of replaying Command Mission earlier in the year and I didn't bother to do it. So maybe I should? I dunno. Maybe something short and sweet.

I don't know where my copy of Mega Man II GB went. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rhapsody

Banned
Crossposting cuz I know you guys actually aren't going to drive-by post with "cancelled"

Capcom's celebrating X's 20th anniversary by releasing a pile of CDs, but what are any of you planning to do for it this year? Granted, despite the X series becoming more about Zero and less about Mega Man in terms of narrative, I still find the series synonymous with X, at least.

I might play something Mega Man X-related later today when I get home or maybe after VGCW. I have every X game now, so that shouldn't be a problem. Actually, I was thinking of replaying Command Mission earlier in the year and I didn't bother to do it. So maybe I should? I dunno. Maybe something short and sweet.

I play through the early MM Classic games every year, but I plan on replaying MM games I haven't gone through in awhile too.
I have the urge to go through the old BN games again. Might also go make/play custom stages in Powered Up since it's been so long.

And who knows, maybe I'll actually try replaying Command Mission again this/next year. I've only beaten it once when it was released, so it'll feel fresh.

Videoneon

I'll probably run through the first X game. Strange as it may be, X is one of my favorite characters in gaming, probably in no small part due to growing up with him. Still, I like his personality.

I remember hearing about the music collection a while ago and was half tempted to buy it, but...nah.

Refyref

The X series isn't actually my most liked MM series, nor closely underneath it, but I guess I should do a playthrough of the series sometime soon.

Back to its home planet - The flaming pits of hell.
Don't worry, you'll be able to replay this amazing masterpiece of human achievement on the eShop, SOON!

Solune

Surprised I didn't see it reposted in the Birthday thread or here but there's a MML3 Prototype 8 bit version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5JL1KMSVoY
The Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype 8-bit! Released in celebration of Mega Man's 26th anniversary. The game is currently being developed by the GMOTM Japanese team, with the assistance of Hideki Ishikawa (artist for the MML series) and Makoto Tomozawa (music composer for the MML series), and is tentatively slated for release in February 2014.

It looks really good and February is just around the corner. Very hype.

Edit: Source TMMN

Busaiku

Dang, the 25th Anniversary Statue is much bigger than I thought it'd be.
I figured it'd be around 6-8 inches, it's like over a foot.

PKrockin

Quite possibly the greatest romhack ever has been released.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/nes/images/titles/1704titlescreen.png[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iv7jm.png[img]

Thread-worthy?

[img]http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/nes/images/1704screenshot3.png[img][/QUOTE]

As a MRA I am highly offended one would dirty the creator's vision with a girl-robot protagonist.

That title screen looks pretty well-done.

(Should probably rehost those images though)

Top Bottom