• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

paolo11

How does it feel to have 10k to throw at a dinner in Japan?

On a more serious note, I kick myself for not getting my Mega Man 3 cart signed when Inafune was in New York a few years ago. That was before I knew he disliked it though.

Damn, 10K. Dat Kickstarter Mighty 9.

Am I odd that one of my fave Megaman is 3?

Refyref

Damn, 10K. Dat Kickstarter Mighty 9.

Am I odd that one of my fave Megaman is 3?

Plenty of People love MM3. Inafune just has bad memories from the development of the game, and regrets that the team could never finish what they set out to do. It's similar to why Miyamoto says the game he regrets the most is Zelda 2. Not because that it's a bad game (it's not), but because they didn't make use of the mechanics to the fullest, nor did they polish it as much as he felt was needed.

paolo11

Plenty of People love MM3. Inafune just has bad memories from the development of the game, and regrets that the team could never finish what they set out to do. It's similar to why Miyamoto says the game he regrets the most is Zelda 2. Not because that it's a bad game (it's not), but because they didn't make use of the mechanics to the fullest, nor did they polish it as much as he felt was needed.

Mega man 3 is actually my first Megaman game. I was on 2nd grade at that time.

Refyref

Mega man 3 is actually my first Megaman game. I was on 2nd grade at that time.

Urgh. Why did I capitalize "people"?

I think my first Mega Man was Battle Network, but I can't be completely sure.
Of the action variants, I started with Mega Man 1, through the Virtual Console.

paolo11

Urgh. Why did I capitalize "people"?

I think my first Mega Man was Battle Network, but I can't be completely sure.
Of the action variants, I started with Mega Man 1, through the Virtual Console.

Battle Network is awesome. I need to finish 6 btw.

paolo11

This is just me but I don't understand why they removed the slide or charge buster in Mega Man 9. Granted it was a great game and all the sub weapons are useful, I just don't understand removing those features.

I did get all the achievements though. Peacemaker is tough. I'm gunning for Mega Man 10.

Refyref

This is just me but I don't understand why they removed the slide or charge buster in Mega Man 9. Granted it was a great game and all the sub weapons are useful, I just don't understand removing those features.

I did get all the achievements though. Peacemaker is tough. I'm gunning for Mega Man 10.

Because they wanted to stay true to the limitations of Mega Man 1&2 in order to be able to produce tight level design without too much baggage. The slide function seems to not change much at a glance, but it does indeed matter for a few enemy patterns and some level structure. The effects of the charged shot are obviously quite more noticeable. All in all, it does make a difference in the feel of MM1/2 to 3 to 4 and above. And the whole point of 9 and 10 was to go back to basics and remove the bloat the series gathered over the years. Not that the later games were bad, but it just wasn't what 9/10 were aiming for.

And if you really wanted those moves, you can always use Protoman. :p

paolo11

Because they wanted to stay true to the limitations of Mega Man 1&2 in order to be able to produce tight level design without too much baggage. The slide function seems to not change much at a glance, but it does indeed matter for a few enemy patterns and some level structure. The effects of the charged shot are obviously quite more noticeable. All in all, it does make a difference in the feel of MM1/2 to 3 to 4 and above. And the whole point of 9 and 10 was to go back to basics and remove the bloat the series gathered over the years. Not that the later games were bad, but it just wasn't what 9/10 were aiming for.

And if you really wanted those moves, you can always use Protoman. :p

Or Bass from Megaman 10. Hehehehe

Tizoc

Re-reading the Megaman comic, Crashman's written like a complete psycho and loon, it's hilarious, charming and somewhat creepy.

Tizoc

How're the PSP Megaman Legends games? Do they hold up well compared to the PSX originals?
Since they're Japan only, language shouldn't be an issue if I use a guide for buying stuff right?

Kart94

Banned
So how is that Megaman racing game? I always kind of wanted to try it since i am a racing game fanatic. *except for simulations though*

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll be picking up X4 and X5 when those are out.

Now if only I could play (original) X1 and X2 on the go, but that's not happening.

Tizoc

I'll be picking up X4 and X5 when those are out.

Now if only I could play (original) X1 and X2 on the go, but that's not happening.

If only Nintendo would drop the 'getting SNES games to run a 3DS is like doing quantum physics' shtick and just put them up there...

Refyref

I thought Rockman 2 looked good, and IMO it performed fine on the Vita.
Maybe I should get 3 and 4 too...

They're OK, but I see no reason to get them when the originals are cheaper on 3DS, which is also where I prefer to play them. (And I like the originals more than the ports.)

I just started playing the Mega Man Zero Collection on the DS and these games are seriously kicking my ass !
Should I start by playing the games on easy mode or am I missing something ?

And what's the general opinion on the ZX games ? How is the difficulty ?

Rhapsody

Banned
I just started playing the Mega Man Zero Collection on the DS and these games are seriously kicking my ass !
Should I start by playing the games on easy mode or am I missing something ?

And what's the general opinion on the ZX games ? How is the difficulty ?

The first 2 games are pretty hard for the average player, especially the first. A lot of it deals with memorizing patterns.
The game has cyber elves to help you out if you're willing to use them.

ZX games are around the same difficulty as the later Zero games, imo.

The first 2 games are pretty hard for the average player, especially the first. A lot of it deals with memorizing patterns.
The game has cyber elves to help you out if you're willing to use them.

ZX games are around the same difficulty as the later Zero games, imo.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to rely on cyber elves quite a bit !

Aside from the difficulty, I'm really enjoying the first one so far, the mission structure is pretty clever and the level design is really inspired. Only problem is the unskippable dialog in some of the levels, I'm fine with a little bit of story but when I've already died 10 times it's testing my patience.

I wish I hadn't seen this.

MMHelmet-BLUE_backofbox2.png

Sciz

Finally putting some good time into Mega Man 9, several years after the fact.

Jesus Christ, Inti, what did you think you were doing? This game is unapologetically murderous in a way matched only by the worst moments of the X series, and it never lets up. If it isn't spikes, it's pits, and both of them are paired with enemies that come screaming in from offscreen at a moment's notice. The health bar seems to only exist for boss battles, and they're some of the most basic in the series.

I know they were trying to emulate MM2 since it's the iconic one, but I have no idea how they looked at an older, simpler time and got Mega Man for masochists out of it.

Finally putting some good time into Mega Man 9, several years after the fact.

Jesus Christ, Inti, what did you think you were doing? This game is unapologetically murderous in a way matched only by the worst moments of the X series, and it never lets up. If it isn't spikes, it's pits, and both of them are paired with enemies that come screaming in from offscreen at a moment's notice. The health bar seems to only exist for boss battles, and they're some of the most basic in the series.

I know they were trying to emulate MM2 since it's the iconic one, but I have no idea how they looked at an older, simpler time and got Mega Man for masochists out of it.

I'm one of the few people who really felt 9 was a lot harder than any of the older games, but I'm also someone who considers 2 fairly challenging, provided you're not abusing the metal blade. I think how much and how recently you played and mastered the old games plays into your perception of 9. Could just be me though. I play 2,3,4 and even 5 quite often, but 9 kicked my butt for 3-4 days.

Honestly, even when it first came out I never really found 9 difficult so I can't relate to you guys. Not to mention that the weapons in that game are just WAY too good. I would say that the game really needs to hint at being able to freeze those lava beams with Concrete though.

Sciz

I'm one of the few people who really felt 9 was a lot harder than any of the older games, but I'm also someone who considers 2 fairly challenging, provided you're not abusing the metal blade. I think how much and how recently you played and mastered the old games plays into your perception of 9. Could just be me though. I play 2,3,4 and even 5 quite often, but 9 kicked my butt for 3-4 days.

I've been picking my way through the whole classic series in recent weeks, which is what led me to finally hit up 9. The level design is just plain categorically different than anything that precedes it, and in a very bad way that sucks the fun out of playing because there's seldom any margin for error.

Weapon selection is... above average, I guess? They've done better, they've done worse.

Concrete Shot: Interesting utilitarian uses, but if you don't get it early you're going to run into a bunch of nerve-wrackingly precise jumps throughout the game that seem to have been built under the assumption that you've got the thing. It's also terrible as an actual weapon.

Jewel Satellite: hahaha what were they thinking this is stupidly OP

Plug Ball: Actually pretty cool. Good damage, good energy use. Has obvious limits, but excels at what it does.

Tornado Blow: Never been a fan of screen clearers. They're boring, and basically exist to let you blow past minibosses without actually fighting them. The enhanced jumping is cool, but the energy consumption is far too high to make much use of it, especially when you start with Rush Coil anyway.

Black Hole Bomb: Another good one. Stuff like this is a lot more interesting than the screen clearers as far as high cost, high reward weapons go.

Magma Bazooka: Not bad as far as buster replacement weapons go, but the single shot limitation is weird and hampers its usefulness. Charged shot feels like it's only there because Atomic Fire did it first. Overall effectiveness varies wildly between levels depending on whether you run into lots of small enemies or fewer, heavier ones.

Laser Trident: At least Magma Bazooka isn't just Buster++. Effective, but where's the design effort, the creativity, the limitations?

Hornet Chaser: Rockman & Forte's Magic Card in homing form. Like its predecessor it's weak as hell and mostly exists to let the level designers lock away some powerups.

Not sure what I'd consider the series' best weapon lineup, actually.

Tizoc

One of the reasons preventing X6 from releasing anytime soon might have to do with the JP dub it got. which got removed in the PS2 compilation.

Sciz

We're (finally) one issue in and Archie's already making me like Mega Man 3, which is something I was pretty sure wouldn't ever happen. So much better than the prior game adaptations.

Tizoc

We're (finally) one issue in and Archie's already making me like Mega Man 3, which is something I was pretty sure wouldn't ever happen. So much better than the prior game adaptations.

Now I wanna play it.
Poor Topman though, he is such an unappreciated artiste
gG3eSUb.jpg

lazygecko

So the fan game Mega Man X Corrupted just put out a video of a completed stage that is 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXd6mE-HYIo

It's looking really awesome, hopefully the full game gets released soon

This looks pretty good. Music is spot on. The level design looks to be very large and branched out/sprawling which is a huge plus in my book. I always felt that the levels were a bit too constricted in most of the X games (especially the 32-bit ones). Not sure about some of the features like that alternative buster though.

I recall there being another 16-bit style X fangame around a long time ago in the very early 2000's which I tried. Had a ton of levels and lots of different playable characters, if a bit crude. I wonder what happened to it.

SkyOdin

Using any of those platform skipping items is generally a waste

I am somewhat inclined to agree, but I personally draw the line at Heat Man's stage. Those platforms are pure evil. I like disappearing block jumping in general, but that insane gauntlet is the work of a sadist. I won't judge anyone who uses Item-2 there.

I am somewhat inclined to agree, but I personally draw the line at Heat Man's stage. Those platforms are pure evil. I like disappearing block jumping in general, but that insane gauntlet is the work of a sadist. I won't judge anyone who uses Item-2 there.

Was going to post this almost word for word

Top Bottom