• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memorable Concerts

As someone who loves music, what is some of your favorite concerts you've attended? I just recently saw Metallica with Pantera and Mammoth WVH as the openers and thought everyone sounded incredible. Got right up close to the stage. My knees were sore after standing in place for five hours but worth it. Everyone around me was singing along to every Pantera and Metallica song

ahtlas7

Saw Hans Zimmer concert back in June. It was so crazy to watch a legend perform live along with original vocalist Lisa Gerrard (Gladiator), Loire Cotler (Dune). Tina Guo was there too… Unforgettable.
cwTZlpX.jpg

EarBtCf.jpg

bwzODsf.jpg

Song list:
ugjMJHO.jpg

ky1WCkQ.jpg

Going to: 2 Steps From Hell concert in October.

Last edited:
I went to foo fighters concert 3 times. Every time they played for like 2.5+ hours straight. No breaks. Awesome time.

One time at a No Doubt concert, a middle aged lady sat beside me. It was clear immediately she did not want to be there and was probably made to tag along by her friends. She put on earplugs. She remained glued to her seat the whole time, even when everyone else was standing. Gwen even called her out by pointing at her.

Hudo

Off the top of my head that I remember:

Daniel Barenboim at Royal Albert Hall. As well as Last Night of the Proms (I think it was 2019) at Royal Albert Hall.
Sukyeon Kim playing Kapustin at Elbphilharmonie.
Ghost at the Barclays Arena. Saw Tool there as well.
Verdi's Reqiuem at Opernhaus Bonn.

Edit: I hope I can see Opeth next year or so. And I hope they do include Blackwater Park in their setlist.

Last edited:

Winter John

Jane's Addiction. Reason I remember that one, apart from them being excellent, was this asshole next to me in the crowd kept pulling on Farrell's mic stand. Farrell warned him a couple of times, even stopped a song to tell him off. The asshole did it again and Farrell lost it, jumped off the stage and beat the shit out of him. Almost caught me with his elbow while he was swinging. That dude got fucked up. Guarantee he never went near another stage in his life.

Danzig. Glenn always had a reputation for being an obnoxious little bitch. We went to see Metallica and he was the support act. They came on and sounded so bad the whole crowd started laughing at them. Glenn lost his shit, but instead of picking on anyone his size, he picked on some little teens. Called them out, threatened to beat the shit out of them. While he's up there acting tough, flexing his muscles he didn't notice the bunch of big guys moving up to the other side of the stage. Luckily security did and they dragged him off before he got a severe beating. Hetfield came on afterwards and apologised to the crowd.

Faith No More. The energy they created was through the roof. It was in some tiny club. Crowd was going crazy. People fainting everywhere. Patton with his dick out, pissing on the drum kit. It was awesome.

Mudhoney. They played up on the 2nd floor of this bar. They had to stop the gig because some maintenance guy said the floor was going to collapse due to the crowd jumping up and down on it. So they moved outside and played in the car park until the cops showed up.

Slayer. I saw them a bunch of times. Metallica were ok. They're most definitely one of the best live bands on the planet, but Slayer were like normal guys you could hang out with. Who the fuck would want to hang out with Lars? Anyway, the thing I liked most about Tom Araya was he cared about the crowd. I always thought it was real funny how one moment he'd be screaming about ripping people apart. The next he'd be telling everyone to look after each other and making sure nobody was getting hurt. I saw him stop playing a few times when he thought shit was getting out of control, or he saw someone in trouble.

Wu Tang Clan. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear any of them, but the whole clan was there which was rare as fuck. Normally there'd maybe be a couple of them and then a bunch of guys I never heard of filling in. I also saw GZA perform all of Liquid Swords one night. Method Man wasn't there but the rest of them were. That was cool.

Alanis Morrisette. Jesus. 20 minutes and I was out. You know what it's like being in a crowd of women getting whipped up into a sassy man hating rage by some greasy Canadian witch? It's not cool.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Me and my better half are big gig heads, been to two festivals, a day festival and a bunch of individual gigs this year. Still got King Gizzard and Young Fathers to go.

Rage Against the Machine at Download 2010 is still probably my #1 of all time and it'll never be beat. Absolute anarchy, they had to stop songs several times to get people who weren't ready for it out of the front of the crowd. So many pits, so much sweat, an outstanding performance and energy off the charts. But I definitely can't go as hard now as I could when I was 17.

All 3 times I've seen Tool, they're my favourite band so I would say that, but good lord do they put on a show. No need for endless chatter between songs, they show up, they play and they put on an incredibly visual display.

Fred Again into Four Tet was probably the most memorable from this year, might have something to do with outside influences though. Beyoncé and Roger Waters back to back over two days was also fantastic for very different reasons.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I saw a lot of concerts partly because I used to work in a popular record store in the late 80's/early 90's ("Record store" sounds so archaic hahaha). I had a good relationship with the various company reps & often got tickets and sometimes backstage passes.

I also worked security during the late 90's at a couple of 2000-3000 seaters.

My first ever rock concert was KISS at the Montreal Forum in 1977 during the "Love Gun" tour. I went with my older cousin and my jean jacket reeked of weed when I got home.
It just blew my 9 year old mind. Total attack of all the senses.

The most memorable off the top of my head:

-Queen in 1980
-Genesis
-Miles Davis at the Montreal Spectrum, 1985. Just. Wow.
-Rush (3 times). I usually went to pee during drum solos but never at a Rush concert. RIP Neil Peart.

-AC/DC 3 times. Always an action packed 2 hour+ show.

-Iron Maiden 2 times. "Piece of mind" & "Powerslave" tour.

-Metallica's "And Justice for All" tour. Went backstage. James Hetfield was super nice, Jason Newsted was on happy PR mode. Kirk Hammett walked by giving us all the finger. Hetfield said he "had a bad night" 😆

-Whitesnake & Motley Crue double bill

-Alice in Chains opening for Iggy Pop at the Montreal Spectrum

-The Replacements
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Marillion
-Ratt opening for Ozzy at the Forum
-Van Halen's 1984 tour. Went to pee during David Lee Roth's "Solo". He did some sort of martial art choreography...

-U2's "Unforgettable Fire" tour.
-Ice-T with Bodycount at the Montreal Spectrum during New Year's Eve.
-White Zombie & Pantera double bill.
-Rollins Band at Foufounes Électriques

-INXS at the Metropolis in 1997.
That was a fun night. I was working security and sitting in "the pit" between the crowd & the stage. We had specific instructions to just sit there because the band had their own security dudes. Michael Hutchence was on fire, running around and even climbing to the upper balconies. Nicolas Cage was sitting in a VIP balcony and waving at the crowd (He was in town filming "Snake Eyes").
Hutchence would die a couple months later.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of concerts partly because I used to work in a popular record store in the late 80's/early 90's ("Record store" sounds so archaic hahaha). I had a good relationship with the various company reps & often got tickets and sometimes backstage passes.

My first ever rock concert was KISS at the Montreal Forum in 1977 during the "Love Gun" tour. I went with my older cousin and my jean jacket reeked of weed when I got home.

-Queen in 1980
-Genesis
-Rush (3 times). I usually went to pee during drum solos but never at a Rush concert. RIP Neil Peart.

-Metallica's "And Justice for All" tour. Went backstage. James Hetfield was super nice, Jason Newstead was on happy PR mode. Kirk Hammett walked by giving us all the finger. Hetfield said he "had a bad night" 😆

-The Replacements
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Marillion
-Van Halen's 1984 tour. Went to pee during David Lee Roth's "Solo". He did some sort of martial art choreography...

That was a fun night. I was working security and sitting in "the pit" between the crowd & the stage. We had specific instructions to just sit there because the band had their own security dudes. Michael Hutchence was on fire, running around and even climbing to the upper balconies. Nicolas Cage was sitting in a VIP balcony and waving at the crowd (He was in town filming "Snake Eyes).
queen in 1980?

i actually hate you lol :messenger_loudly_crying:

my uncle saw Nirvana live in 1991 just after Nevermind came out and i was so jealous of him. that was the only concert they did here as well. they were meant to come back only about a week before Kurt died.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Radiohead @ Westerpark Amsterdam was amazing, beautiful weather, great sound and great audience. They played really good, York was good on voice as well. It was the In Rainbows tour back in 2008.
Last year I had seen Joshua Redman Quartet @ Concertgebouw Amsterdam which was absolutely fantastic as well, quality was so ridiculously high that I was on awe for the whole time.

Had been to more concerts but these stand out.

Laptop1991

My first one in 1986, Iron Maiden at Hammersmith Odeon on the Somewhere in Time Tour,
Judas Priest in 86 at Hammersmith, the bass was going right through me, i thought i was having a heart attack,
AC/DC in 88 at Wembly Arena, just great
Metallica in 96 at Newcastle Arena and
Maiden again in Newcastle in 2018,
5 brilliant concerts

Last edited:
I unexpectedly got into a small kid cudi show right around man on the moon during a random trip to Atlantic City in nj....

we all had popped some mushrooms and/or molly and my wife & i just had the best night crushing songs like a foot from cudi.

just a fun intimate and amazing show - man on the moon is such a banger album

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

-Queen in 1980
-Genesis

-Metallica's "And Justice for All" tour. Went backstage. James Hetfield was super nice, Jason Newsted was on happy PR mode. Kirk Hammett walked by giving us all the finger. Hetfield said he "had a bad night" 😆

-The Replacements
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Marillion

That was a fun night. I was working security and sitting in "the pit" between the crowd & the stage. We had specific instructions to just sit there because the band had their own security dudes. Michael Hutchence was on fire, running around and even climbing to the upper balconies. Nicolas Cage was sitting in a VIP balcony and waving at the crowd (He was in town filming "Snake Eyes").
Queen in 1980
AC/DC 3 times
Metallica's "And Justice for All" tour. Went backstage

*Places on ignore list

Seen Metallica so many times, saw ACDC once in the Amsterdam Arena and whilst the big arena gigs are good craic, my bro works in the industry so usually get passes, my favourite gigs have been the smaller ones, Slayer in a Belfast club a few years back where just incredible but I always love Alabama 3 live, now they put on a fucking show

Last edited:

Power Pro

I'm afraid to mention my music tastes, because I've been made fun of for my taste in music, but I love going to concerts, so I wanted to chime in anyway.

One of the first concerts I went to was in 1996 where I saw Kiss with my older brother. This was pretty memorable because it was one of my firsts, but also because it was the come back reunion tour they did with that Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter were all back together with the makeup.

In high school I probably saw more concerts than I can remember. I saw concerts like Metallica, and I had crushes on groups like the Spice Girls and Britney Spears, but I found i really didn't like going to big shows. You were always too far away to see anything.

I went through a metal, and ICP phase big time back then. I went to Metal fests that had more bands than I can count. I will say, every Insane Clown Posse show I went to was memorable and a good time. Never forget coming back home soaked in Faygo.

Over the years I've seen the occasional show by myself. I don't really like them much anymore, but I remember seeing Korn and just having a blast at their concert.

I was always a fan of the band Garbage, but for years they never came to my town. It wasn't until 2013 that I finally got to see them in my hometown, and it was worth the wait. They were sooo awesome, and Shirley Manson was still looking pretty smokin' at the time.

In 2016 I got to see my favorite film maker John Carpenter perform songs from a bunch of his movies and albums. Wasn't exactly the most rowdy concert I've been to, but man it was awesome. I fucking love his movies so much, and his soundtracks are so iconic. He looked like a cute grandpa up there lol
In recent years I've fallen in love with certain J-pop groups, and in 2016 and 2019 I've seen Perfume, which is probably the most talented japanese group I can think of. They easily give some of the best concerts I've ever been to. Their stage show, and their dancing is second to none.

Finally there's Kyary Pamyu Pamyu who I've seen in 2018, and this year. She also has some awesome stage shows, but I think her show in 2018 was better than the one I saw this year. Much more elaborate setup, and better costumes. She also is a great dancer, and so fun on stage.

I'm gonna be seeing BabyMetal this September, and I'm super excited for that because I've missed all the previous times they've come to the states.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

bender

What time is it?
My first concerts were seeing Metallica in Fort Worth. I was there both nights and that's the venue they used for the Cunning Stunts release. The second night they played every song twice.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tragically Hip concert at the bottom of a ski hill in Vermont over 20 years ago. No designated seats. My buddies and I wormed our way to the front. But mid way through the concert, the crowd got rowdy, smelled like weed and we were getting jostled further back and back. No point fighting the crowd so we just let ourselves get pushed back.

Great concert.

We also got lost. There was only Nokia brick cell phones back then so no google maps or anything. We made it to the area using a paper map but the entrance to the ski hill area was a side road anyone could miss. Its was a big area of trees and shit so once you miss any kind of street or entrance, youre driving a bit to the next one hoping thats the one. But if not, then you got to loop back. I didn't drive. I was in the back seat, but my buddies (driver and map guy) had us looping around trying to find it. lol

July 6 2005. Videogameslive at the Hollywood bowl.

Zn3H2HB.jpg
sM6MmRg.jpg

I've seen Aerosmith, Creed and a few others but this was really memorable for me because of how different it was. It was something new, it was my hobby being celebrated and there were like 10,000 plus people in attendance. For a video game concert. That will always stick with me.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I don't know if festivals count but in 1991 I attended Pukkelop here in Belgium and the had Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr and The Ramones.

That was exactly what I liked back then and it was fantastic. Sonic Youth made a movie about that year featuring a lot of clips from that day.

Smaller gigs that I really liked were Liars in Brussels and Shellac in Eindhoven.

Last edited:

FatallyYours

Gold Member
Special mention: David Bowie Ziggy concert at the cinema last month, with my dad
Where as I was a fan of David whilst he was alive, I never saw him live. This is the closest I'll get to seeing him, but it was all the more special for being with my dad who was a massive fan & had seen David live multiple times over his career. The amazing remaster of this concert, in a cinema setting, with a load of 50/60 year old rockers is probably my most chill concert I've been too

Rob Zombie anywhere. Puts on a hell of a show and still sounds good for his advanced age

Muse at Old Trafford cricket ground Manchester. The black holes tour. Again, they put on a big gig, with a hell of a show, moving stages, light show, pyro

Blink 182 Nynex arena Manchester. Lol. They are terrible live, they just can't get the sound right... but it's fun, easy listening. The best gig was just before Tom took off for the first time. I think they knew they were about to implode, but did big shows for the fans before Tom left and went bat shit insane

Ozzy Osborne, Ozzfest london (paired with a hell of a korn setlist and Skindred are amazing too!) Apart from the ever growing solos from various band member to let ozzy go off for sit down after each song, it was amazing to see him

Bring me the horizon, Alexandra Palace London, just as they were getting very big and before Olly had fully lost his growl

The Blackout, Leeds Roundhouse. Sad for a few reasons, the roundhouse was closing and the blackout were quitting as a band. They loved interacting with the crowd, were all cool guys and hung out after shows

Linkin Park, MEN arena Manchester. Saw them a bunch of times, but the first time is the best. Basically just played Hybrid Theory in full. They sounded perfect, they were so animated, happy. Sad thinking about how Chester was really feeling inside.

Korn playing "Korn" in full for the anniversary show

Any time Alestorm play anywhere, go and see them lol! They are a fun band.

Honestly, there's too many to mention. I've been to a lot of shows

Sybrix

2 weeks ago I was here, im in the crowd at the front somewhere:

A Liam Gallagher gig is always insanely fun

Last edited:

Boozeroony

I went to the first Them Crooked Vultures gig in De Melkweg, Amsterdam in 2009. This was weeks before they officially released their album. They announced the gig by only mentioning the coordinates of the venue on their website. Had to wait hours before acquiring a ticket. It was a blast though, seeing Homme, Jones and Grohl live on stage.

Bartski

Gold Member
Tool on 3 different occasions.

Sepultura Roots Bloody Roots tour gig.

I also saw Biohazard in 1996 in a tiny local 250 people club and accidentally went in the guest toilet, opened the door and there was the bass player taking a shit. Quite the rockstar moment for a 14-year-old

Raiders of the Lost Ark Live, played in time with the film projected on a screen.

Played by the Philadelphia Philla Harmonic Orchestra. Literal chills.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I've seen alot of bands over the years, but these bands/artists stood out the most for me.

David Bowie
Nine Inch Nails twice
Black Sabbath
The Who
Manic Street Preachers
Placebo twice

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

-Queen in 1980
-Genesis

-The Replacements
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Marillion

I can not express enough how jealous I am of you seeing all those amazing bands/artists.

My dad saw many big bands back in the 60s and 70s. He liked to reminisce about seeing ACDC back in 1976 in Brighton and he witnessed Bon Scott carrying Angus Young on his shoulders, through the crowd working his magic on his Gibson.

Muffdraul

Godflesh at Spanky's in Riverside, spring 1991. Loudest gig I ever attended. After they finished their last song, a girl went up to the stage and gave Justin a bouquet of flowers. He laid his guitar flat on the floor and started pulling off petals and other bits and dropping them on the strings. My friend and I left and our car was like three blocks away, we could still hear his guitar until we drove away.

The Melvins at Club With No Name in Costa Mesa, end of 1991. They played the whole Lysol album, which didn't come out until months later.

Beastie Boys at the Hollywood Palladium, 1992, not long after Check Your Head released. The place was so crowded, I ended up getting stuck right in front of one of the 20 ft speaker stacks for almost their entire set. Pretty sure I damaged my right eardrum that night.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Beastie Boys at the Hollywood Palladium, 1992, not long after Check Your Head released. The place was so crowded, I ended up getting stuck right in front of one of the 20 ft speaker stacks for almost their entire set. Pretty sure I damaged my right eardrum that night.
Now I'm the jealous one! Beside your speaker situation I do envy you 🙂

The first show I worked at was LIVE at the Metropolis. I was standing in the pit and directly behind me was this huge speaker.
I swear man I could feel the vibrations in my sternum from the bass alone. And those vibrations made me hungry 😄

I'm sure I was standing there looking all professional but all I had in my head were visions of pizza & Big Macs.
And I didn't dare even move a bit because Ed Kowalczyk would sometimes put his hand on my shoulder to lean in towards the crowd 😆

DelireMan7

I am a fan of Rhapsody of Fire and love their concert. Especially the energy of Fabio Lione (singer). He's so communicative with the audience and kind of commune with it while performing.
Really good feeling.

Also went to a "Distant Worlds : Music from Final Fantasy" concert. Awesome ! In addition, we had the chance to get Nobuo Uematsu on stage. The guy didn't do much but when the announcer told his name and the little shy guy came up, the full audience went crazy ! Standing ovation, screaming, clapping like crazy... Good vibes ! Then I broke in tears on "To Zanarkand"...

Worth mentioning is Mono, a japanese band doing post rock music. I knew one of their album and we went with a friend to one of their concert.
I was in trance a good part of the concert. Like completely communing with the music, honestly I had pleasure comparable to sex xD
First time hearing "Moonlight" from them... My soul just went for a trip on this one...

Most recently went to see Moon Hooch. Basically 2 crazy saxophonists and 1 drummer. Damn such a positive energy. It was like bathing in happyness xD
Number 9 is one of their iconic song :

Scotty W

I have been to quite a few rock concerts, but have never seen anyone great in their prime. Tool was probably the best, SOAD was bored and boring.

I got dragged to an Alice Cooper concert a few years ago, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I never listen to him. Don’t miss your chance.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have been to very few. In 2012 Madonna came to my city and I went to see her. Easily the most incredible show I went to.

I went to a reggae concert when I was 5 and didn't understand why my family was giving my parents crap. My parents, who have never smoked weed in their entire lives. Still don't know why we went. Maybe because Cool Runnings was a hit movie at the time.

Top Bottom