• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kikorin

Make sense, also acquire new studios means nothing, since talents can decide to go away. Better use own directors and cooperate with third party studios, Metroid Dread is just an example that things can works like that.

Elysion

Banned
How long are they gonna keep saying that the Switch is still ‚in the middle of its lifecycle‘? Didn’t they already say that two years ago? Maybe they‘re trying to replicate the lifecycle of the Gameboy, which lasted twelve years (1989-2001). Imagine playing on the Switch until 2029, lol.

Mozza

Say what you will about Nintendo, but they've proven for the past four decades and change that they can deliver industry leading game and hardware design again, and again, and again. After the WiiU, I said the Switch would fail because it was overpriced. Well, I was clearly wrong. So while their track record isn't 100%, but when they hit, they hit big. I'd say it's a pretty fair statement at this point in the game that Nintendo knows what it's doing... most of the time.
Of course they know what they are doing, it's only very stupid people that think Nintendo are stupid, the more mass market direction they have gone with it's more casual customers, was always going to be a harder job predicting, but it looks like Nintendo have got it sorted to ensure a smooth transition to the Switch 2.... or whatever they end up calling it.

Mozza

How long are they gonna keep saying that the Switch is still ‚in the middle of its lifecycle‘? Didn’t they already say that two years ago? Maybe they‘re trying to replicate the lifecycle of the Gameboy, which lasted twelve years (1989-2001). Imagine playing on the Switch until 2029, lol.
If they keep the games coming I would have no issue, I already have a Series X for more graphical intense games, but I would guess a Switch 2 announcement in 2024 with a release date late 2024/ early 2025.

But Nintendo, I still insist you to buy Capcom!!….my biggest fear is that those giant tech companies start buying up third party publishers

Marvel14

Banned

Predictably it seems like Nintendo won't join the consolidation race easily.
They don't have the mentality to just acquire companies to become bigger.

In a side news Switch forecast was cut again for the second time this year down to 23m because of chip shortages.

And here I thought they would acquire Platinum and From

/s

Nintendo has never needed to rely on third party anyway. Especially outside japan
I don't quite agree with that. While not quite strictly a 3rd party, RARE really helped out with N64 and Snes, the likes of Konami really helped make the NES and Snes something special in the west and you had Factor 5 making great games too
In fact looking back I amazed that NCL never bought RARE or Factor 5

Little Mac

Nintendo being Nintendo. Nintendo contracts third party all the time to help develop games. They could use a bigger workforce especially if they are going against the grain with hardware and relying on first party titles to keep them printing money. My take atleast.

daclynk

Thank U Reaction GIF by Amanda

Nautilus

Banned
I think they should consider buying Square. That seems like the best fit if they were to buy anyone. Not that I would want them to. But it would be funny to see the FFVII sequels downgraded from the first.
If that were to happen, they would release their games on the Switch 2, given the time that those transitions take, so power wouldn't really be an issue.

But still, hope no one buys Square.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds reasonable. I imagine Nintendo can be quite a pain to work with if you don’t share their mindset or value their IP as much as they do.

I mean, they straight up scrapped all of Metroid Prime 4 just to give it to an in-house developer to start from scratch because they weren’t happy with it.

Yoboman

Eh, they bought Monolith and that's worked out well

If they are interested in buying anyone they will play their cards close anyway

Nautilus

Banned
Because the moment they say that its at its end, its the moment that everyone will expect a new gen, and that could(and will) impact hardware sales and the stock value.

The only moment Furukawa will say that it left the middle of its life cycle, will be when they are ready to reveal a new gen that year.

Mozza

Last time I had this conversation I was told by everyone Sony had the best exclusives and they didn't need to buy studios because they are master building talented studios.
Times and opinions change when you are about to lose a massive franchise like COD, even though no one on here plays it and it's total trash apparently. ;)

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Shure! WiiU says hi! 🤡
What a moronic comment that adds nothing to this thread. They did well with the Wii, failed spectacularly with the WiiU and then rebounded completely with the Switch. Do you not think that the WiiU's failure has informed their current strategy? I bet they also know how to spell "sure"

I shouldn't bother commenting on such crap. Nintendo obviously isn't out to change much or acquire a dev that does stuff that is off brand. It makes sense. A lot of us Nintendo fans just buy their system to have access to top tier Nintendo games. Others buy them for their kids so they will shut the fuck up on long car rides and want safe games for them to play. There is no other dev out there that really fits for purchase other than the small ones Nintendo already works with.

As for the Switch lasting long, its a toss up. I buy the systems just to play a couple of games and this reduces cost. But I also like to have the best experience possible and this might be emulation over actual Switch. I keep thinking about how poorly BoTW runs in the lost woods and don't want that level of bullshit in anything I play.

What a moronic comment that adds nothing to this thread. They did well with the Wii, failed spectacularly with the WiiU and then rebounded completely with the Switch. Do you not think that the WiiU's failure has informed their current strategy? I bet they also know how to spell "sure"

I shouldn't bother commenting on such crap. Nintendo obviously isn't out to change much or acquire a dev that does stuff that is off brand. It makes sense. A lot of us Nintendo fans just buy their system to have access to top tier Nintendo games. Others buy them for their kids so they will shut the fuck up on long car rides and want safe games for them to play. There is no other dev out there that really fits for purchase other than the small ones Nintendo already works with.

As for the Switch lasting long, its a toss up. I buy the systems just to play a couple of games and this reduces cost. But I also like to have the best experience possible and this might be emulation over actual Switch. I keep thinking about how poorly BoTW runs in the lost woods and don't want that level of bullshit in anything I play.
Difference is facism and does not open minds, by Nintendo and fans. 🤡

Nintendo wants its dna to stay pure!

What is worse is that Nintendo and fans have forgotten about the wii and the official speeches: blue ocean says hi!

Last edited:

Interfectum

I mean, it makes sense. Nintendo's business model is their software sells their hardware... that's it. Buying a huge publisher would force them into going multiplatform and they aren't setup for that.

Woopah

I would love to see Ubisoft get bought by Nintendo. Imagine the Assassin's Creed games staying at 60 dollarydoos with no sales. Who's buying Unity for that amount? 😂

Seriously with the cash that Nintendo are raking in, I find it so weird they don't have more internal studios created for each franchise so they can concentrate on that IP. Too many classic Nintendo IPs lay dormant with their current setup.
That's exactly what they are doing, investing the Switch profits in expanding their EPD teams: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...-in-game-development-in-next-5-years.1623005/
I think they are using the term the same way people use "middle-aged" rather than "exactly half way through its life".
I don't quite agree with that. While not quite strictly a 3rd party, RARE really helped out with N64 and Snes, the likes of Konami really helped make the NES and Snes something special in the west and you had Factor 5 making great games too
In fact looking back I amazed that NCL never bought RARE or Factor 5
They did own about half of Rare, and I could see them having bought the rest one day if the Stamper Brothers hadn't sold their half to Microsoft.

I know Factor 5 helped Nintendo with some technical areas on N64 and Gamecube, but I don't believe Nintendo published any Factor 5 games or accepted any of their pitches. So I'm not surprised Nintendo never bought them.

That's exactly what they are doing, investing the Switch profits in expanding their EPD teams: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...-in-game-development-in-next-5-years.1623005/
Yeah, Nintendo is the only company that actually just wants new hires. They prefer that over people with experience, since they can train them to design games the way they design them. Almost everything they make sells. They just need more people that come up through their unique company culture.

I wouldn't mind them buying Mercury Steam though. Just sayin'.

So, they don't consider Capcom, SquareEnix and Sega games a plus? Because, if someone else takes them, Nintendo will lose a lot of their biggest games, including Switch franchise exclusives.

Woopah

So, they don't consider Capcom, SquareEnix and Sega games a plus? Because, if someone else takes them, Nintendo will lose a lot of their biggest games, including Switch franchise exclusives.
They certainty consider their support and games as a plus, but they don't consider it a plus to have those operations within the Nintendo group (especially someone like Square Enix which has a lot of non-gaming operations).

They want those companies to remain independent, while continuing to develop first party and third party games for Nintendo's platforms.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo has never needed to rely on third party anyway. Especially outside japan
Since when?

Yeah the portable devices do qell but a consoles with no gimmicks would need 3rd party support.

People are quick to forget the N64, Gamecube and Wii U sales.
They need 3rd party support if they are gonna release another console without some motion controller, VR tech

Kokoloko85

If Nintendo loses the likes of Capcom, Square and Sega there chances of being successful in the home console space are practically over.

Without a gimmick like motion or VR, a normal home console will go the same way N64, Gamecube or Wii U went.

They hit Gold with the Switch, I doubt it will happen again unless they keep doing hybrids going forward, that seems like there best bet

Last edited:
I think they should consider buying Square. That seems like the best fit if they were to buy anyone. Not that I would want them to. But it would be funny to see the FFVII sequels downgraded from the first.
They would need to fire all the higher ups, Nomura, Kitase, etc.

Current Square-Enix is a shell of it's former self. So too expensive for Nintendo.

They already bought Monolith Soft that was Chrono Cross+Xenogears teams, Brownie Brown/1-Up Studio (Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana), Genius Sonority (Dragon Quest people)

And colaborate with Grezzo (Zelda OoT 3DS, MM 3DS, Links Awakening Switch) from Seiken Densetsu creator. Also colaborated with Sakaguchi and too others like AlphaDream (Mario and Luigi RPG's)
They hit Gold with the Switch, I doubt it will happen again unless they keep doing hybrids going forward, that seems like there best bet
That's what everyone says every time they hit gold.

No one can deny that they have the knack to find it every once in a while.

Last edited:

FStubbs

If they bought anyone, it would be someone like Mercury Steam, Platinum or Wayforward.

If Konami ever sold off their gaming division, Nintendo would probably be interested as well.

They wouldn't mind buying IPs like Dragon Quest but Capcom and Square Enix themselves would be out.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Personally, I'm not really a fan Nintendo games, except BotW because I enjoyed it and because Legend of Zelda was the first game I ever played.

I certainly respect Nintendo. They don't get involved in all the acquisition drama, they just do their own thing and sell a shit ton of consoles and software.

Woopah

Nintendo don't see third parties as help. They see them as competition to the billion copies of games they sell without them.
Nintendo doesn't see third parties as competition. They get money from every third party game sold on their system so they want as much third party support as they can get.
Since when?

Yeah the portable devices do qell but a consoles with no gimmicks would need 3rd party support.

People are quick to forget the N64, Gamecube and Wii U sales.
They need 3rd party support if they are gonna release another console without some motion controller, VR tech
Having all Nintendo teams on one device should avoid a N64, Gamecube or Wii U situation from happening again, but agreed that having third party support would help improve the situation even further.

I kind of appreciate this approach, although the amount of shovelware on the store tells me a different story (although of course this is related to acquisitions).

fart town usa

Gold Member
Interesting. That crescent shaped water and rocks look like the symbols that were removed from OOT.

moon_symbol_change.jpg

I wonder if that was intentional?

OT: Nintendo doesn't need to buy companies, the few they have aren't pumping out games and Nintendo is fine as they are. Not really sure why anyone would expect Nintendo to make a large purchase just because MS and Sony are.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nintendo don't see third parties as help. They see them as competition to the billion copies of games they sell without them.
They do need 3rd party support though and the Switch has a ton of it. 3rd party support help sell consoles. When Nintendo has a lack of 3rd party support their consoles flounder but that's also when Nintendo makes some of their best games; N64, GCN, WiiU.

WiiU largely gets trashed but Nintendo made some of the best games they've ever made during the WiiU years, and those games helped to make the Switch a juggernaut for 1st party gaming during its first few years on the market. Desperate Nintendo is the best Nintendo IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom