• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT about Activision acquisition and the future of gaming (Speculative)

Midn1ght

So, I had an hour to spare this morning and had a little fun with ChatGPT about the Microsoft Activisiton acquisition and the future of gaming.

You might not know it, but ChatGPT knowledge is limited to September 2021, it doesn't know what happened in the world beyond that point. If you ask who won the 2022 FIFA World Cup, it gives you this answer:

OmarXlo.png

So I thought I'd start playing a guessing game with it and see if it could accurately guess what happened in the industry in the last 2 years. It wasn't easy at first since it always reminds you that it doesn't know anything after September 2021 and I had to force its hand to use real world company names for some reason but at the end, the answers are surprisingly accurate.

I first asked ChatGPT to guess which video game company Microsoft acquired in 2022, it gave me 2 wrong answer at first (EA and Ubisoft) but correctly guessed Activision on the third attempt.

y0ffizr.png

3 attempts to get Activision is not impressive, but all the answers after that were first try, and the next one is scary accurate.
I asked ChatGPT to guess how much Microsoft paid for Activision, that was its answer:

nGSW9Ge.png

I then asked if the acquisition was hard or easy, did anybody tried to block it and what was the outcome.
Here's the answer:

o1jJnqx.png

I then asked what could potentially be the answer of Sony regarding this acquisition.
Here's the answer:

bTWipEk.png

Sony's buying SE for 10 billion, you heard it here first.
I then asked what was Nintendo and Valve's reaction to this acquisition and got, again, a very accurate answer:

aZcEadw.png

And finally, I asked if the acquisition would be a good thing for the industry long term.
Here's the answer:

RMW5Ym2.png

Sony acquiring SE and the impact of the acquisition on the industry remain to be seen of course but I was impress by ChatGPT guesses, specially regarding the price and Sony, Nintendo and Valve's reactions to it. Had fun asking those question so I thought I'd share it with you here.

Also, please take all of this with a grain of salt because at the end, when I asked if Todd Howard would be worshiped and elevated to a God status after the release of Starfield, ChatGPT gave me this nonsense:

mEUIO6c.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member
U realise it’s simply pulls all info from internet, it has no mind of its own, if u are well informed, it’s kinda pointless, as it’s not 100% accurate.
U realise it doesn't actually do this at all? ChatGPT does not grab information from the internet, it only knows what it knows.

(Bing does though, but that's different.)

U realise it doesn't actually do this at all? ChatGPT does not grab information from the internet, it only knows what it knows.

(Bing does though, but that's different.)
Yes I know how it is works, I’m just simplifying it, my point still stands, it’s load of crap, even a library would have more accurate information.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes I know how it is works, I’m just simplifying it, my point still stands, it’s load of crap, even a library would have more accurate information.

Ok, but the point here wasn't to get accurate information. The entire point was that these were (pretty good) guesses from GPT about something it doesn't actually know anything about.

odhiex

The idea of having a thread based on ChatGPT's answers seems like doesn't bode well in this forum lol. I have learned my lessons here before, even tho it answers are "interesting". Thanks, OP.

Midn1ght

Ok, but the point here wasn't to get accurate information. The entire point was that these were (pretty good) guesses from GPT about something it doesn't actually know anything about.
Thank you.

Again, I thought it was interesting how it accurately guessed what happened in the last 2 years without any knowledge from it, no need to get personal.

roxya

ChatGPT is an advanced text prediction algorithm. Its only goal is the give you a response which fits the context. It doesn't have any "knowledge" beyond what kind of words should be used to form a fitting response to the input. It doesn't know if what it's saying is factually correct or not. It just knows that it saw similar sentences being strung together.

So yeah, a bit of a waste of time to think it has any "opinion" on anything.

Top Bottom