• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic vs Opencritic. GAF Decides.

Which Aggregator you like more

• Metacritic

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Opencritic

Votes: 89 65.0%

• Total voters

Mr Hyde

Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

Banjo64

cumsessed
Open Critic because it’s not got the old games like Metacritic where there was only 6 reviewers so they get a 98 score.

But reviews in isolation are pretty useless, got to look at user reviews and even then there can be games that are pretty average rating wise that are really fun and resonate with you.

Teslerum

I can only speak about Metacritic, but the moment I realized that the whole *review* aggregation is completely arbitrary I lost all confidence in these sites.

I mean, just take a deeper look yourself on which reviews are chosen. One reviewer may show up for one game, then goes completely missing on the next, despite having put out reviews for both games.

Or you may find that 2 reviewers use a similar review system. Let's say one that consists of 5 steps, they're just named differently. Both reviewers give the game their second highest score (the 4th step). You may think this is going to result in the same score on Metacritic, but no. One gets rated 70%, the other 90%. A 20% difference, for the same conclusion.

What I'm saying is, Metacritic is a scam.

Last edited:

Luck

OpenCritic = the avarage score from all platform reviews, so it is more precise
MetaCritic = score per platform, so less reviews, less precise

In these times, where all platforms getting preaty much the same game version, the OpenCritic is much better than MetaCritic.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're almost exactly the same thing. I guess I don't really care that much. I like that reviews have scores for quick reference, but then I ultimately decide myself and have specific reviewers I personally trust more than others.

Topher

Gold Member
They're almost exactly the same thing. I guess I don't really care that much. I like that reviews have scores for quick reference, but then I ultimately decide myself and have specific reviewers I personally trust more than others.

Exactly what I was going to say. What's the difference really? They are usually the same or maybe a point different. Having said that, whenever I want to look up reviews for a game I use metacritic for no other reason than it is a habit and opencritic is an afterthought.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Exactly what I was going to say. What's the difference really? They are usually the same or maybe a point different. Having said that, whenever I want to look up reviews for a game I use metacritic for no other reason than it is a habit and opencritic is an afterthought.
Posts above detail some of the differences. But then you step back and it amounts to like .... 1 pt difference lol.

It really shouldn't matter to anyone.

ethomaz

Banned
Needs to be noted that OC was created because the owner didn’t agree with the weigh system used by MC.

But the reality is that 99% of the games have similar averages between MC and OC… that means the weight system they didn’t like doesn’t affect the end result at all.

SeraphJan

Neither. I don't think entertainment in general should be validated with a number. It's all too subjective and does nothing for me.
Games like Ghost of Tsushima (83) or Guardians of the Galaxy (80) are better for me than plenty of +90 games out there on metacritic.
Ghost of Tsushima is underrated, even native Japanese historian appreciate the the games authenticity, that tells something.

It also got a 40/40 from Famitsu, the only western game after GTA getting this high score.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
None, I trust my own taste more than both of those and so far I rarely got disappointed.

Reactions: TLZ

MiguelItUp

Honestly for me, neither. I glance at one or the other (when people are freaking out) when I'm already hyped and pulling the trigger on a game, the outcome doesn't really change. I kinda go, "Neat", close it, and move on.

If you care about reviews THAT much I'd highly recommend trying to break away from that and finding comfort in being your own critic.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Open, because Meta scores vary platform-to-platform when the game is exactly the same.

yurinka

I prefer opencritic because it combines the reviews from all platforms.

But I'd remove from both the clown fanboy sites and reviews that give these super low scores, and I would only make a mean average score removing 5% of the top and bottom reviews. I wouldn't give more importance to a site vs another one because each person has different favorite sites that thinks are the most credible/accurate ones.

Last edited:

Life

I've been gaming long enough to judge a game for myself. I usually need a little bit of gameplay - but sometimes I may need to watch more playthrough vids to make up my mind. Sure, I look at scores initially, but only to tell me whether a game is even worth looking into. Anything that scores 6.5/7 is worth looking into. Games are still super simple, despite the year we're in. Most gameplay loops are made obvious in minutes.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think the weighting on Metacritic helps because the fact is so much of game review scores bunch up around the mid to high 80s. The way we score games is sort of dumb, you would want 50 to be average but instead average is like 78, and game of the year is like 90, so it's just not enough differentiation.

Top Bottom