• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MetaHuman - Real-Time Facial Model Animation Demo

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn, back in the day all I wanted is for Lara Croft to not look like a cardboard figurine, but this is getting kinda unsettling now, lol.

Kikorin

This is incredible, and all made with a phone. All these tools going to make indie games pretty unbeliveable in some years.

brian0057

Banned
Damn, that's insane.
I can't wait for games to not look like that because they have to render more than a single person.

impressive but don't expect to see it in games for a long time yet. this just shows what the engine can do when pushed. not what can run on a console with hardware from 4 years ago :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This is almost indistinguishable from real people.
if you look at a still image yeah but in motion it looks fake as fuck. there is room for improvement with animations.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Very impressive stuff. As always, hope to see it in games because facial animations, especially on NPCs and background characters, are still one of the weaker parts of current graphics.

nightmare-slain nightmare-slain it looks quite good in motion as well to me. Not perfect, but very good.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
impressive but don't expect to see it in games for a long time yet. this just shows what the engine can do when pushed. not what can run on a console with hardware from 4 years ago :messenger_grinning_sweat:

if you look at a still image yeah but in motion it looks fake as fuck. there is room for improvement with animations.
I was watching the State of Unreal yesterday and there was a short video with scenes from other games and series using this tech. I have seen a few of the series and games before that and it didn't stand out to me.

Last edited:
Simply the future.

Curious to see if people like nd are gonna make better faces without ue5.
Well at this very moment Naughty Dog has basically built their own internal version of Unreal Engine.

I'm sure they study the shit out of that engine and code similar things into their own.

I'd at least like to see ND implement ray traced global illumination into their environments though their current GI solution already looks photo real.

I also suspect they will take advantage of ray traced reflections at some point as they are obsessed with adding water technology to all of their games.

Very impressive stuff. As always, hope to see it in games because facial animations, especially on NPCs and background characters, are still one of the weaker parts of current graphics.

nightmare-slain nightmare-slain it looks quite good in motion as well to me. Not perfect, but very good.
i do agree it looks good. far better than anything in games we have today but you can still see that it's not that smooth. the animations could be better.

dont get me wrong, if i could play a game with that level of quality today i'd be fucking over the moon with it.

VN1X

Banned
Once again I see some on GAF fail spectacularly to miss the point.

The most impressive part of this tech is the ease of use for developers and how it will open up even indie devs to more efficient pipelines of facial capture and animation. All you need is a bloody phone ffs! It's amazing tech but not because of the visuals. It's because it lowers the barrier to entry for quality MoCap to anyone.

Last edited:

Supmate

Neo Member
It’s really impressive imo. iPhone has an improved version of the old Kinect Tof camera in it so not any old camera phone. I’m sure Ninja Theory has better depth cameras than on theiPhone to do their game capture. The mocap in this game should be incredible leading edge stuff

Spyxos

Gold Member
You might actually have blurry vision without realising it; get your eyes checked.

What do you mean ? I can see everything perfectly.

Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The animation will only improve. Real story here is that they did that shit in real time live on stage.... with a phone and (high end) consumer grade PC.

BootsLoader

Banned
Its impressive and all that but it is boring. I remember Quantic Dreams doing this in their demos etc.
I hope Devs will utilize this and actually make good games.

DaGwaphics

Once again I see some on GAF fail spectacularly to miss the point.

The most impressive part of this tech is the ease of use for developers and how it will open up even indie devs to more efficient pipelines of facial capture and animation. All you need is a bloody phone ffs! It's amazing tech but not because of the visuals. It's because it lowers the barrier to entry for quality MoCap to anyone.

I think the quality delivered is as important too though. Just because it doesn't matter how easy something is to use if the results are complete jank. It's good to see that this is easy to use, especially the way they can transfer the animations between characters, and that the results could still represent a high level final presentation.

Top Bottom