• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine aims to achieve Hellblade II levels of graphics

Draugoth

Gold Member
Insomniac-Games-aims-for-Hellblade-2-inspired-photorealism-for-Marvels-Wolverine.jpeg

Senua from Hellblade 2 appears in Insomniac’s slides as a visual quality goal that the PlayStation studio is aiming to achieve in Marvel’s Wolverine.

A couple of days ago, Insomniac Games suffered a massive ransomware attack, as a result of which many of the company’s internal and confidential files were leaked online. The leak included a fully playable build of Marvel’s Wolverine, a ton of concept art for the studio’s upcoming games, road maps, various presentations, documents and slides.

In one of the slides posted on Reddit, Insomniac Games presented a visual target for Wolverine in the Photogrammetry category. The slide explains how the studio aims to use real-world scan data to create realistic characters, and uses Hellblade 2’s protagonist as an example of the level of realism. In the slide, Insomniac also noted how developers can use 4D scan data to create “realistic” materials, render them in the game engine, and then artistically tweak the models to create memorable and compelling characters.

Great news, a Wolverine game with a strong sense of photo-realism will elevate it to another level, very suiting given the the nature of the character and narrative.

As for Insomniac, they somehow managed to blow $350 million on Spider-man 2, a game which lacked a micro-polygon rendering system, and a dynamic global illumination system for lighting, two of the most defining features of next-gen. A little annoying and almost embarrassing for a Playstation first party studio.

Better late than never I guess.

Last edited:

chessy_08

Great news, a Wolverine game with a strong sense of photo-realism will elevate it to another level, very suiting given the the nature of the character and narrative.

As for Insomniac, they somehow managed to blow $350 million on Spider-man 2, a game which lacked a micro-polygon rendering system, and a dynamic global illumination system for lighting, two of the most defining features of next-gen. A little annoying and almost embarrassing for a Playstation first party studio.

Better late than never I guess.
I thought Spiderman 2 looked amazing

Zuzu

It might be hard for them to match all of Hellblade 2’s visual features since Hellblade might be running in a letterboxed format which saves gpu resources and it may be more linear than Wolverine. But I’m sure they can match parts of it, like the photogrammetry.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Waste of resources. No wonder the budgets for the new Marvel games are skyrocketing.

HB2 is going to be a slow paced cinematic game. If it replicates HB1, it's all about story, cut scenes, slowly creeping around caves and some action scenes thrown in. I dont believe for one bit HB2 will be an action packed swordplay game. Just look at HB1 trailers compared to the actual game. It is no DMC or Ninja Gaiden slashfest.

Marvel games have story and cut scenes too, but the games are more action packed and zipping around the open world cities. There's a balance.

If Insomniac can pull off HB2 visuals throughout their game, that'll be one heck of an achievement, but it'll be very costly eye candy.

Last edited:
it looks amazing to me

heavy grimey and visceral

As long as it's got SOME improvement that adds some desperately needed depth than I can behind going with the same combat style.

This is not a character action game like DMC. But if the combat is the same exact thing with no challenge or room for someone to improve I'm gonna he super disappointed.

I agree tho that visually is looks visceral and great

Mister Wolf

Hellblade is aiming for realism, Wolverine is more stylized. But in terms of "graphics" insomniac will "win".

in other words; Hellblade is going to look better, but Wolverine is going to be better.

Hellblade's animations, lighting, environments, and character's will all be superior in detail. Ninja Theory is basically a top tier CGI studio that makes mediocre playing games.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hellblade's animations, lighting, environments, and character's will all be superior in detail. Ninja Theory is basically a top tier CGI studio that makes mediocre playing games.
I think Hellblade 2 will look better, but Wolverine will look more impressive

Last edited:
Hellblade's animations,
I don't think animation is part of the graphics. but again, realism vs controlling a super hero.

lighting, environments, and character's will all be superior in detail.
it depends on the game. If hellbalde's level desing is as constrained as the first game and if it has a more "directed" approach to enemy encounters, maybe.

but i can see Insomniac having better ray tracing implementation, HDR, motion blur; better performance with less graphical consessions.

Ninja Theory is basically a top tier CGI studio that makes mediocre playing games.
CGI is one thing. But i believe Art Direction is what's going to be the differentiator

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It might be hard for them to match all of Hellblade 2’s visual features since Hellblade might be running in a letterboxed format which saves gpu resources and it may be more linear than Wolverine. But I’m sure they can match parts of it, like the photogrammetry.
Not to mention they are idiotically targeting 60 fps whereas hellblade is 30 fps. they have 2x more gpu power available to make senua look next gen whereas insomniac are handicapping themselves by going with a default 60 fps mode according to the leaks. they dont even want to commit to a 30 fps mode.

Mister Wolf

Not to mention they are idiotically targeting 60 fps whereas hellblade is 30 fps. they have 2x more gpu power available to make senua look next gen whereas insomniac are handicapping themselves by going with a default 60 fps mode according to the leaks. they dont even want to commit to a 30 fps mode.

Hellblade is even going the extra mile of using letterbox aspect ratio so they don't have to focus as much of the GPU's power on resolution. Its the closest I've seen a game get to prerendered CGI. Looks like it could be an episode in the Love, Death, and Robots anthology on Netflix.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Release date Hellblade 2 will also look better than what has been shown from current build, both are still a while away. Wolverine will easily compete with current Hellblade 2 but remains to be seen how it will stack up to the finished Hellblade 2 in sheer visual fidelity specially if they opt for semi open traversable environments rather than the narrower scope of hellblade (assuming it is structured like the 1st one). I dare say most games releasing at that time will square up quite well against each other and art direction rarther than tech will determine which one "looks" better. Beyond that, ND's next game and Fable will outshine those, that will be the battle of two of the best art teams in the industry imo. Its not the bullet its the sniper...

Top Bottom