• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine aims to achieve Hellblade II levels of graphics

SenkiDala

thats what pays the billls and keep the industry afloat. So, its time for people to show respect for it.
Yeah, games like Minecraft (300 mil), Stardew Valley (20 mil as of march 2022), Fortnite, Mario Kart 8 (65 mil), Animal Crossing New Horizons (43 mil), Elden Ring (over 20 mil), Baldur's Gate 3 (22 mil only on Steam, not counting PS5/XBS sales), Breath of the Wild (31 mil), all rely on graphics.

No, groundbreaking success sell almost only because of their gameplay, always, since forever.

POKEYCLYDE

I've avoided what I can of the Wolverine leaks. So I'll say this, If Wolverine can give me the same feeling that the first Last of Us trailer gave me, that visceral up close and personal extreme violence... I'm in.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

One is a tight third person linear game while the other will probably be some form of open world?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man the gameplay looks as bad as the first
I actually kind of agree. Visually the first game looks good but is boring and doesn't click with me. The main reason people are even talking about this one is for the graphics and if it's on Game pass, I'm going to look at it for that. I hope it isn't as boring as the first game.

Last edited:

Trekinspace88

Neo Member
While Hell-blade II looks great it is not an open world game and more of a linear cinematic adventure game.

So of course a linear game is the one that can push its graphical fidelity a lot further further then an open world game. So with Wolverine also a linear type game with some sections of the game being a bit more open then i can see them matching or surpassing Hell-blade II graphics.

Especially if the PS5 Pro is real and it's as powerful as the rumors suggest i can see most Sony 1st part games pushing the graphical bar higher.

Yeah, games like Minecraft (300 mil), Stardew Valley (20 mil as of march 2022), Fortnite, Mario Kart 8 (65 mil), Animal Crossing New Horizons (43 mil), Elden Ring (over 20 mil), Baldur's Gate 3 (22 mil only on Steam, not counting PS5/XBS sales), Breath of the Wild (31 mil), all rely on graphics.

No, groundbreaking success sell almost only because of their gameplay, always, since forever.
Industry.

AAA games employ a shit ton more people across the industry.

graphics, gameplay have nothing to do with it.

You try to make a list to prove a point, sorry but your point is ass:

when you list Elden Ring which is an iteration of the Souls formula and the most successful game for that compnay = employs people across the world.

BG3...is a fucking sequel and established genre and licensed IP....What it has is (ironically ) production values in the graphics and voice acting department.

Fornite is a fucking AAA game buddy. just look at the amount of money they spend in crossovers. And thanks to Fornite, Epic made the EGS and is able give free games on it.

The Nintendo games: Old ass IPs. they keep milking them, make a shit ton of money....literally they are paying the bills

Minecraft was done by one dude...it exploded and now MS own it and the studio has around 600 devs.

get a reality check. buddy.

SenkiDala

Industry.

AAA games employ a shit ton more people across the industry.

graphics, gameplay have nothing to do with it.

You try to make a list to prove a point, sorry but your point is ass:

when you list Elden Ring which is an iteration of the Souls formula and the most successful game for that compnay = employs people across the world.

BG3...is a fucking sequel and established genre and licensed IP....What it has is (ironically ) production values in the graphics and voice acting department.

Fornite is a fucking AAA game buddy. just look at the amount of money they spend in crossovers. And thanks to Fornite, Epic made the EGS and is able give free games on it.

The Nintendo games: Old ass IPs. they keep milking them, make a shit ton of money....literally they are paying the bills

Minecraft was done by one dude...it exploded and now MS own it and the studio has around 600 devs.

get a reality check. buddy.
Blablabla. Go back to sleep.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

One is a tight third person linear game while the other will probably be some form of open world?

They are talking about using a certain type of tech and use Hellblade 2 as an example.

Meanwhile people go on debating with the title of the thread, and like you talk about scope differences.

Obviously freedom of movement, scale, amount of characters and assets on screen impact the rendering budget on what the hard ceiling these consoles have allows for.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Waste of resources. No wonder the budgets for the new Marvel games are skyrocketing.

HB2 is going to be a slow paced cinematic game. If it replicates HB1, it's all about story, cut scenes, slowly creeping around caves and some action scenes thrown in. I dont believe for one bit HB2 will be an action packed swordplay game. Just look at HB1 trailers compared to the actual game. It is no DMC or Ninja Gaiden slashfest.

Marvel games have story and cut scenes too, but the games are more action packed and zipping around the open world cities. There's a balance.

If Insomniac can pull off HB2 visuals throughout their game, that'll be one heck of an achievement, but it'll be very costly eye candy.

The bolded is what could make this a 15-20 million unit seller if they pull it off with the game also being good and fun. The cost doesn't matter if the pull off the bolded.

It won't, the character rendering and animation in HB2 is levels above anything else we've seen and a generation above anything insomniac has done. They may be able to get closer with the environments but without the realistic character models it won't look anywhere near as good.
I have faith in Insomniac after Ratchet. Taking the wait and see approach considering it’s still a couple yrs away

JCreasy

I have not been able to track down the slide they're talking about. I don't see it in the leak on Reddit. Which slide?

Last edited:
So even Sony first party is impressed and scared of Hellblade 2 visual fidelity, only Sony GAF is not impressed. Angst seems to be settling in now that ABK deal went through and GAME PASS is paving the way into the future.

They are devs, of course they get impressed by the work of others. Level the fuck up already, ape.

//DEVIL//

Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome.gif

TESTScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-2.gif

HBScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-3.gif

HB333-Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome-4.gif

If they can match this, I will never say another bad thing about them ever again
They won't. its really clear why Hellblade 2 graphics are like this. if you look closely at least in these gifs. its always one-on-one and there is no background (edit: or very minimal background). its like they almost killed everything at the back just to get the graphics on the character models to look this good during the fight. then it goes back to her exploring alone + stage level.

Insomniac gameplay isn't the same. Not to say the graphics will look bad or they lack the talent because they don't . but just different gameplay style resulting in different graphics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They won't. its really clear why Hellblade 2 graphics are like this. if you look closely at least in these gifs. its always one-on-one and there is no background. its like they almost killed everything at the back just to get the graphics on the character models to look this good during the fight. then it goes back to her exploring alone + stage level.

Insomniac gameplay isn't the same. Not to say the graphics will look bad or they lack the talent because they don't . but just different gameplay style resulting in different graphics.
watch both gameplay trailers. there are plenty of levels shown with insane level of detail in the background.

//DEVIL//

watch both gameplay trailers. there are plenty of levels shown with insane level of detail in the background.
Could have missed it. but was there close up fighting sequences with those insane level of details you are talking about in the background ? I honestly do not remember. I only remember the gifs above for the close up fighting and the graphics was very nice.

but when the fighting ends, the background details showed up again but .. no more close up fights.

magnumpy

it is relatively "easy" to achieve super realistic graphics, or at least it's easy to notice that at a glance. very good gameplay is much more subjective and difficult to achieve.

of course, you need both ideally. not talking about what sells the most, apparently Minecraft has already cracked that nut? so video games are a solved problem, Minecraft already exists </s>

Crayon

I'm sure they can implement some specific technique on the same level or better, but the overall visual impression can never be this impressive. Hellblade is what I call a cinematic game where camera angles and lights are controlled with a lot of care. The priority on animation over control makes for a huge, huge difference in the visual impression. It looks so much more real than gamey animation. I actually enjoy these types of games even though the gameplay gets sacrificed somewhat.

Horizon Forbidden West still holds up strongly in the context of next-gen games despite it being a cross-gen game, facial animations and detail are amazing, and the geometry density is pretty solid. It does make me wonder what GG can pull off with with full native next-gen hardware.

Sony's ICE team still exists but not sure to what extent, it would make sense for them to share facial animation technologies, as well as approaches to micro-polygon rendering - so this won't be a far fetched goal for Insomniac.

I might be alone on this but I don't want games to have that sort of fidelity if it means budgets balloon and game length gets longer and longer. Forbidden West, Spiderman 2 and Ragnarok on PS5 looked more than great to me. Dial back the game length and that would be the sweet spot.

simpatico

Has everyone seen the Jean Grey model? I mean, I'm sure it's going to improve, but we can still glean a lot about the direction they're going with it. It's really something.

HighPoly

Banned
Last of Us 3 will do it...
or
whatever ND and Santa Monica are making right now...

But, don't expect something that doesn't exist...
Just play HELLBLADE 2 on your PC or Xbox!

Top Bottom