• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

brau

Huh. I just realized that the AI pod tells you this

"Who are you? Snake...? It's not you... Is it?"

Well played Kojima. Well, played.

james-van-der-beek-clapping-gif-dawson-b7279382-sz624x350-animate1_zpsdf9ee7d7.gif~c200

After 200+ hours and almost 3 months of running away from spoilers I finally finished MGSV. I have never EVER been this disappointed with a game in my life. So sad right now.

brau

Brau, age has
n't
slowed you down one bit...

Well.. i was reading over some quotes and noticed some of the AI pods listed... then noticed that. hahaha i was.. omg!

Ran over here to rant about it. :)

Its great.

After 200+ hours and almost 3 months of running away from spoilers I finally finished MGSV. I have never EVER been this disappointed with a game in my life. So sad right now.

:( I have nothing for you dude... nothing that can make this disappointment any easier or digestible.

NeoGiff

While I'm at it, "I am Quiet. I am... *DRAMATIC PAUSE!!!*... the absence of words." is such an awful line. Jesus, we get it already.

brau

While I'm at it, "I am Quiet. I am... *DRAMATIC PAUSE!!!*... the absence of words." is such an awful line. Jesus, we get it already.

But its such a touching moment. Quiet, the real MVP and someone who women can look up to. Since her condition was explained her outfit COMPLETELY make sense. Kojima at it again and revolutionizes the industry.

JayEH

So the Chapter 2 RACE title card got changed for other language versions of the game. Originally in languages like Spanish and Russian the title was translated to something like a car or arms race but now it's correctly translated to mean Human race. I always assumed this was the case with the English version and apparently the Japanese version always had this title as well. Really, really weird thing to slip through localization.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGame...etalgearsolid_xpost_the_november_10th_update/

james-van-der-beek-clapping-gif-dawson-b7279382-sz624x350-animate1_zpsdf9ee7d7.gif~c200

There's a ton of hints like this throughout the game. Pretty cool.

But its such a touching moment. Quiet, the real MVP and someone who women can look up to. Since her condition was explained her outfit COMPLETELY make sense. Kojima at it again and revolutionizes the industry.

dude, seriously. why.are.you.still.here? just GTFO if you hate this game so much

SJRB

Gold Member

Another massive "hint" is Huey who doesn't recognize you [LOLLLL], then closely inspects your face when you first encounter him. As if you're not 100% identical to Big Boss in every way [aside from horn and stuff].

I love how that happens but he doesn't freak out in the slightest at the insane situation of Big Boss suddenly appearing before him in the middle of this fucking huge Soviet base 9 years after he was presumed dead. You know, considering how Huey was responsible for MSF's destruction and all.

FFFFFFFUCK

Erigu

I love how that happens but he doesn't freak out in the slightest at the insane situation of Big Boss suddenly appearing before him in the middle of this fucking huge Soviet base 9 years after he was presumed dead. You know, considering how Huey was responsible for MSF's destruction and all.
Well, he did contact them in the first place...
(Now, why did he do that, considering he caused MSF (OOO?)'s destruction, that's another question...)

SJRB

Gold Member
Well, he did contact them in the first place...
(Now, why did he do that, considering he caused MSF (OOO?)'s destruction, that's another question...)

Because he's fucked in the head, simple as that. Feels guilty but when back at Mother Base actively tries to destroy everything AGAIN. But totally trust the big Battle Gear he's building, yup nothing wrong with that one. Pinky swear.

I know it's not canon [like it matters at this point] but Big Medic should've killed him.

Because he's fucked in the head, simple as that. Feels guilty but when back at Mother Base actively tries to destroy everything AGAIN. But totally trust the big Battle Gear he's building, yup nothing wrong with that one. Pinky swear.

I know it's not canon [like it matters at this point] but Big Medic should've killed him.

Considering the supposed theme is revenge, it would have been great when Huey is exiled, turns out there's C4 planted on his raft, betraying him just like what he's been doing to Snake's army.

But obviously it can't be done because his death has already been established before TPP.

Heck, Venom and Kaz get his revenge on Skully in similar manner.

I think in the end, vengeful Kaz would feel satisfied and agree with Ocelot that what goes around comes around and that a much worse fate awaited Huey

HardRojo

Finished the game last night. For some reason I knew from the beginning that I wasn't playing as the actual Big Boss, now I get the similar voices between the medic and Big Boss. I'm not disappointed, I actually liked the game, but there's still stuff that needs explaining.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the supposed theme is revenge, it would have been great when Huey is exiled, turns out there's C4 planted on his raft, betraying him just like what he's been doing to Snake's army.

But obviously it can't be done because his death has already been established before TPP.

Heck, Venom and Kaz get his revenge on Skully in similar manner.

I dunno, Kaz is the driving force behind that.

I think Big Medic killing Huey at the end wouldn't make sense for the character (or the timeline for that matter, but that's by-the-by). He's not cold blooded. I think his moments of mercy and compassion are down to vestiges of his Hippocratic Oath lingering in his psyche. He is a Medic, after all, preserving life is part of his remit. It is the biggest differentiation between him and BB.

Roni

Gold Member
Was reading up on interviews from Kojima way back when and stumbled upon this: http://www.p4rgaming.com/hideo-kojima-says-last-half-of-mgsv-will-retcon-the-first-half-of-the-game/

A lot of leads here: in 2013 Phantom Pain was not going to be the last MG game, MG and MG2 would probably be retconned out of existence, Huey had no conclusion to him, Ocelot and Kaz were acting differently in the beginning and the end of the game, MGS was completely ignored in the story Phantom Pain was telling.

I wonder how much of that served as the basis for what we got in the end. Maybe the reason why some characters had their screen presence reduced...

Very interesting indeed.

KillySG10

Neo Member
Episode 45 is insanely infuriating.

Any tips on completing it?

I beat it using sand storm support from helicopter + NV goggles.
Ran around Fultoning vehicles as fast as i could, and got a Honey Bee to take down the chopper, let Quiet handle the troops.

I have to point out, it took a few attempts, using Fulton on the vehicles is definitely faster than missiles, and probably easier than setting enough c4 on them.

Episode 45 is insanely infuriating.

Any tips on completing it?

Stay inside the bulding. Fire at a tank from one of the openings and then get back, wait for the one-hit-kill tank attack to miss (if you're away from the opening enough), go back up to the opening, fire one shot. Wash, rinse, repeat until done. Don't get greedy and try for two rpg shots in a row, avoid that tank shot at all costs

Is the Quiet thing as simple as replaying mission 11 seven times? because I'm sure I've done that (down to 500ish reward ) and no change. she appeared in my brig either after the patch or after my first rerun but not in my medical strut.

Xun

I beat it using sand storm support from helicopter + NV goggles.
Ran around Fultoning vehicles as fast as i could, and got a Honey Bee to take down the chopper, let Quiet handle the troops.

I have to point out, it took a few attempts, using Fulton on the vehicles is definitely faster than missiles, and probably easier than setting enough c4 on them.

Stay inside the bulding. Fire at a tank from one of the openings and then get back, wait for the one-hit-kill tank attack to miss (if you're away from the opening enough), go back up to the opening, fire one shot. Wash, rinse, repeat until done. Don't get greedy and try for two rpg shots in a row, avoid that tank shot at all costs
Cheers guys.

That one-hit-kill tank is fucking infuriating.

Niwa

Cheers guys.

You have to go to the Power supply to the far right and place decoys there, then the tank and everyone else will be distracted, then you run behind the buildig to the left and flank them by fultoning and always tell quite to shoot. Was easy that way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Cheers guys.

Especially considering cover behind a wall isn't always guaranteed success because the blast radius of the tank shell sometimes clips through a wall.

I just ran around behind the building like a chump. The mission design of many missions are questionable at best, but this mission in particular is just a joke and feels like a rushed job they had to whip up 2 days before going gold.

Haunted

Hints that aren't really hints but work well in hindsight are one thing, but the reflection in the ACC window is my favourite foreshadowing by far. Just right under everyone's noses.

Is there a bigger point for everyone being brainwashed to think of DD as a dog?
Yeah, that's pretty weird, I didn't really get the point of that. Maybe just a joke that fell flat or something.

Haunted

I must've been pretty lucky with mission 45 because I never noticed there even was a one-hit tank. I died a couple times during the middle portion where the tanks come over the hill, but for the final part I mostly just stayed deep in the building and poked out for single pickoff rockets when I was sure their barrels weren't pointed directly at me.

Still a poorly designed encounter, but it didn't give me the grief it clearly did other people.

"Pretentious till the end."
Makes me think of Kojima.
lel
Hints that aren't really hints but work well in hindsight are one thing, but the reflection in the ACC window is my favourite foreshadowing by far. Just right under everyone's noses.
I still haven't been able to see my reflection. You just have to look into the window right? What am I doing wrong?

mf.luder

As much as I wanted a better conclusion to skull faces arc, because his ending was so terrible. I think this was intentional by Kojima. We want revenge. We want to kill him but he's taken away in such a pathetic way that we don't have closure.

Edzi

As much as I wanted a better conclusion to skull faces arc, because his ending was so terrible. I think this was intentional by Kojima. We want revenge. We want to kill him but he's taken away in such a pathetic way that we don't have closure.

Eh, I don't even think that's accurate. You do get revenge on him, by shooting him multiple times at point blank range and severing two of his limbs. The problem is we didn't get anything else. No boss fight, hardly any real characterization, nothing. It just felt limp, and Kojima can claim it was on purpose all he wants, that doesn't change the fact that it sucked.

Roni

Gold Member
Eh, I don't even think that's accurate. You do get revenge on him, by shooting him multiple times at point blank range and severing two of his limbs. The problem is we didn't get anything else. No boss fight, hardly any real characterization, nothing. It just felt limp, and Kojima can claim it was on purpose all he wants, that doesn't change the fact that it sucked.

How would a boss fight play out? You kicking his ass? Skull Face was a white collar villain compared to Big Boss. Once you get to him, he can't put up much of a fight.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How would a boss fight play out?

Like an Olga/Revolver Ocelot fight in an Open World environment where SF has only one bullet from that lever action gun of his but can one hit kill you.

Something like that.

But I agree in principle, I think the dissatisfying "revenge" (which Kaz has more control over than Venom) was a calculated move.

KOMANI

KOMANI
How would a boss fight play out? You kicking his ass? Skull Face was a white collar villain compared to Big Boss. Once you get to him, he can't put up much of a fight.
What I would have done is have a spaghetti western influenced boss fight... In a ghost town, with a touch of TLOU boss fight
ellie vs David

klee123

Now that I've finished the game completely.

I kinda feel sorry for Venom Snake.

Especially knowing his eventual fate.

The guy basically gets screwed over by his boss without his consent and becomes his clone.

Loses his potential love interest.

Ends up being killed by his boss's clone.

CO_Andy

Just beat V. Such a lust for retcons.

So anybody who has played the original Metal Gear 2 knows Big Boss in that game is a cyborg, and yet it's supposed to be the real Big Boss who doesn't have any cybernetics according to MGSV :p

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The guy basically gets screwed over by his boss without his consent and becomes his clone.

Loses his potential love interest.
I wouldn't necessarily say love interest, but the relationship b/w Quiet and Venom is a helluva more interesting given both their statuses as "silenced" soldiers.

Actually, scratch that, it was potentially could have been interesting given how trash both characters were handled due to fanservice and meta-commentary.

Just beat V. Such a lust for retcons.

So anybody who has played the original Metal Gear 2 knows Big Boss in that game is a cyborg, and yet it's supposed to be the real Big Boss who doesn't have any cybernetics according to MGSV :p
Honestly, the whole cyber-BB thing feels like it fell through the cracks of 90% of the MGS fanbase's collective memory.

Top Bottom