• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Z3M0G

CHAPTER 2? CHAPTER 2!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?!

I STAYED UP TILL 3AM FOR THIS SHIT!?!

I FUCKING HATE FALSE ENDINGS IN GAMES!!!!!

CHAPTER 2? CHAPTER 2!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?!

I STAYED UP TILL 3AM FOR THIS SHIT!?!

I FUCKING HATE FALSE ENDINGS IN GAMES!!!!!

Heed my advice:
Forget about chapter 2. Pretend it doesn't exist. Don't play it. Forge your own True Ending, while you still can...

I bought the game on Steam just now. It's on sale for $37.50 CDN. Did I make good decision? I'm scared to put much hours in. Also is it bad that I primarily wanna play MGO3?

Z3M0G

Heed my advice:
Forget about chapter 2. Don't play it. Forge your own True Ending, while you still can...

Does all that "coming in chapter 2" stuff really happen? Like wtf! It looks like there is so much!!

I need to take a break away from this... again! I hate games that are this long...

It felt so good when i believed it was over...

Heed my advice:
Forget about chapter 2. Pretend it doesn't exist. Don't play it. Forge your own True Ending, while you still can...
I would agree with this. having just finished it a week ago.

Also, to keep things vague, at a certain point they take something major away from you, with gameplay ramifications, and the only way to get it back is to replay a mission 7 times.

Z3M0G

I would agree with this. having just finished it a week ago.

Also, to keep things vague, at a certain point they take something major away from you, with gameplay ramifications, and the only way to get it back is to replay a mission 7 times.

As soon as i saw credits rolling, thinking it was all over, i junped into the first spoiler thread thinking i could FINALLY get in on all the controversy and fun over the game... and i caught people talking about this. But i thought i had avoided it somehow... honestly i couldnt care less right now if it happens or now.

Im so angry right now... i wanted this game to be over... i wish i had turned the game off during the credits and been happy with my ignorance...

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Does all that "coming in chapter 2" stuff really happen? Like wtf! It looks like there is so much!!

I need to take a break away from this... again! I hate games that are this long...

It does, but it's not as substantial as you think it would be.

It's a lot less than you think. And it isn't worth it - But don't say I didn't warn you.

Chapter 2 feels a bit a misnomer, too. It's kinda like an epilogue: a bunch of random cutscenes that trigger on replay missions that 'help' transition the story from MGS V to MG. I use the term 'help' loosely but that's sort of the point, at least. The core MGS V story is basically Ground Zeroes + Chapter 1. Chapter 2 is like Peace Walker's Chapter 5, or almost a 'New Game+' or 'post-ending' free roam where you can trigger some bonus scenes. It's not really a new chapter story in the same way V's Chapter 1 or PW's Chapters 1-4 were.

Just finished Chapter 1 again last night, actually... sort of the third or fourth time. Hard to say because I've replayed most of the missions a bunch of times (at about 300 hours /played now) but it was the 2nd time where I genuinely played everything in order. Even fully replayed MGS3 Snake Eater, watched all of MGS Portable Ops, replayed a new file of MGS Peace Walker, and then did Ground Zeroes again. Didn't fully make a new game for Phantom Pain (though I do have one; just made a new PS4 user), but I did basically go through every important story mission. Felt the 4 preceding games are so important to V... especially Portable Ops and Peace Walker. So much that V really should have been better 'briefing' cutscenes a la the Peace Walker briefing on GZ or general MGS1-3 briefing. Portable Ops and Peace Walker especially have cutscenes that make such a big difference to whether or not you care about Mother Base and Diamond Dogs.

Which is also may be a big reason why Chapter 1 has such a varied response. Part of it is just the gameplay, of course - whether it clicks or not. But I think the mileage the gameplay gets also depends a lot of whether you genuinely care about managing Mother Base and your Diamond Dogs, and I think fans of Portable Ops and Peace Walker (especially if you come straight from playing or watching them) get a lot more out of that. I imagine that V as a stand alone game, and also played casually, would be rather.... 'disconnected.' Which is still a trait, fault, whatever of the game, but I think that's one reason why Chapter 1 was so contrasting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Chapter 2 holds one of the absolute greatest missions in the entire game in it. It's worth playing, even if you don't like it, to understand where the series goes. There are some legitimate "changes the way you look at the entire game" moments in Chapter 2.

Also, chapter 2 is basically an epilogue, not really a full chapter.

If you are going to play chapter 2, be advised you don't actually have to replay the missions with harder difficulties. You can either do side ops instead or there are specific things you have to do to trigger the next story mission. You can google what you need to do.

Plasma

Banned
Chapter 2 is totally worth it. Some of the best and most memorable cutscenes in the entire game are in chapter 2.

There is one mission that is worth playing in Chapter 2 other than that the video that plays after Chapter 1 finishes shows off pretty much everything else that happens.

There is one mission that is worth playing in Chapter 2 other than that the video that plays after Chapter 1 finishes shows off pretty much everything else that happens.

not really. it doesn't show quiet's ending or huey's ending. just hints at it. those two cutscenes + episode 43 + ending ep 46 cutscene are essential viewing for the game IMO. blindly telling someone not to even play chapter 2 is just silly. and the hyperbole surrounding chapter 2 like the thread on the first page is just as silly

As soon as i saw credits rolling, thinking it was all over, i junped into the first spoiler thread thinking i could FINALLY get in on all the controversy and fun over the game... and i caught people talking about this. But i thought i had avoided it somehow... honestly i couldnt care less right now if it happens or now.

Im so angry right now... i wanted this game to be over... i wish i had turned the game off during the credits and been happy with my ignorance...

My advice: save your time and just watch the endings on Youtube. You're not missing out on much.

Woah, launched MGSV for the first time since November. I finally want to finish Quiet's story as I have kept her with the butterfly emblem (in the newest update you can still get her back, right? That wasn't just a bug or something?).

- weird patches that you download from the PS Store
- two attacks on my FOB happened, both were defended successfully.
- Challenges! OMG thanks for making them retroactive. I'm at 86% completion rate and I'm now showered with rewards, can't even accept them all lol
This should have been in the game from the start though as the rewards overall reduce grinding resources, soldiers etc.
By now I have built everything apart from the latest Rank7+ stuff or whatever with those ridiculous requirements. So I don't really care about that aspect anymore, still happily accepted the rewards I've received while offline.
- Menus etc. are much slicker looking with more stats and stuff. I wonder if they were under so much pressure that they didn't even have time to polish them as much as they wanted or if that's just part of what the FOB update people can work on.

edit: I didn't miss Chapter 3 unlocking, right? :p

Yeah, it's intentional that you can re-recruit her.

FOB attacks are definitely down... I've somewhat active in FOBs (very active in SP) and I've only been attacked twice in the last month (once just before Christmas and just again yesterday). It should vary... I think your 'PvP' ranking determines how often you're attacked because of how seeding 'random targets' works, so the less active you are the less often you should be attacked. Inactive or low rank players should still appear as targets often but there's just no one actually clicking 'invade' in that pool, so I think the only way to get regular attacks is to really raise your PvP rank to get seeded as a target by more active (high rank) players.

SP FOB events likely had a big impact, too, especially among lower rank players who may not pursue the MP invasion challenges or nukes.

DeathPeak

Finally finished. I actually really liked the ending. Kojima's message to the fans in "From The Man Who Sold The World" was pretty great.

Roni

Gold Member
Chapter 2 feels a bit a misnomer, too. It's kinda like an epilogue: a bunch of random cutscenes that trigger on replay missions that 'help' transition the story from MGS V to MG. I use the term 'help' loosely but that's sort of the point, at least. The core MGS V story is basically Ground Zeroes + Chapter 1. Chapter 2 is like Peace Walker's Chapter 5, or almost a 'New Game+' or 'post-ending' free roam where you can trigger some bonus scenes. It's not really a new chapter story in the same way V's Chapter 1 or PW's Chapters 1-4 were.

Just finished Chapter 1 again last night, actually... sort of the third or fourth time. Hard to say because I've replayed most of the missions a bunch of times (at about 300 hours /played now) but it was the 2nd time where I genuinely played everything in order. Even fully replayed MGS3 Snake Eater, watched all of MGS Portable Ops, replayed a new file of MGS Peace Walker, and then did Ground Zeroes again. Didn't fully make a new game for Phantom Pain (though I do have one; just made a new PS4 user), but I did basically go through every important story mission. Felt the 4 preceding games are so important to V... especially Portable Ops and Peace Walker. So much that V really should have been better 'briefing' cutscenes a la the Peace Walker briefing on GZ or general MGS1-3 briefing. Portable Ops and Peace Walker especially have cutscenes that make such a big difference to whether or not you care about Mother Base and Diamond Dogs.

Which is also may be a big reason why Chapter 1 has such a varied response. Part of it is just the gameplay, of course - whether it clicks or not. But I think the mileage the gameplay gets also depends a lot of whether you genuinely care about managing Mother Base and your Diamond Dogs, and I think fans of Portable Ops and Peace Walker (especially if you come straight from playing or watching them) get a lot more out of that. I imagine that V as a stand alone game, and also played casually, would be rather.... 'disconnected.' Which is still a trait, fault, whatever of the game, but I think that's one reason why Chapter 1 was so contrasting.

I'll never argue with anyone the chapters in the final product could've been named and expanded a little better. Chapter 1 is worth 3 acts, no doubt.

And I do think MGSV works best as the last chapter in the franchise, being not only extremely tied to the games placed before it in the timeline, but also to the games set after it. It does something I had hoped it would: without changing anything major, it managed to alter the meaning of many events within the franchise.

KOMANI

KOMANI
So, in the Japanese version of MGSV, Kaz clearly states his eyesight had left him. This is said in the speech after CH 2 starts.

Celegus

Just finished it tonight, I rather liked the ending too. Honestly I thought the player character was a double/decoy/stand-in/something weird from the get-go; everything about the hospital scene was a dead giveaway. Not surprising, but I liked the duality of there being two Big Bosses.

The worst part about the ending was the two times it scrolled the timeline of events, but it went by so fast I barely got to read most of it. It's been so long since I've played the other games that it's hard to remember what happened with who, so I'm currently looking for a video or something that covers the entire Metal Gear saga, if that exists. Is there anything out there? Preferably one that also covers MGSV, but maybe it's too soon for that. Any recommendations?

MMarston

Just finished it tonight, I rather liked the ending too. Honestly I thought the player character was a double/decoy/stand-in/something weird from the get-go; everything about the hospital scene was a dead giveaway. Not surprising, but I liked the duality of there being two Big Bosses.

The worst part about the ending was the two times it scrolled the timeline of events, but it went by so fast I barely got to read most of it. It's been so long since I've played the other games that it's hard to remember what happened with who, so I'm currently looking for a video or something that covers the entire Metal Gear saga, if that exists. Is there anything out there? Preferably one that also covers MGSV, but maybe it's too soon for that. Any recommendations?

KefkaProductions has really nicely edited movie versions of each game. That said, they can be super fucking long.

Otherwise, I would have suggested GameTrailers retrospective but considering they just got shut down, you might wanna go into the GT community thread and get an archive link.

Several more hours, depending on how long you do all the yellow highlighted side ops and I think you have to listen to the yellow important tapes as well.

OK thanks. Yeah, I'm just sticking to doing yellow stuff, though I do want to collect all the wandering soldiers. That stupid "Coming in Chapter 2" just about spoiled everything that was about to happen, which was asinine.

Any advice on where to fulton the tank I need for the combat deployment "Recapture the Port Facilities?

MMarston

OK thanks. Yeah, I'm just sticking to doing yellow stuff, though I do want to collect all the wandering soldiers. That stupid "Coming in Chapter 2" just about spoiled everything that was about to happen, which was asinine.

Any advice on where to fulton the tank I need for the combat deployment "Recapture the Port Facilities?

You'd want to do this as well if you want to wrap up the Paz stuff.

I liked the ending, seemed pretty obvious to me given Big Boss doesn't have a single damn stitch in MGSIV.
tbh that wouldn't even have been a problem. Wasn't big boss reconstructed with parts of solidus or some shit? His face could be reconstructed too.
Also,
plastic surgery
huehuehuehuehue

Edzi

My second favorite ending in the series after MGS3. It added so much to the lore than the last two MGS

Huh? I find it hard to believe anyone could come to that conclusion. At best, MGSV added nothing to the overall MGS story, and at worst it actively cheapened past events.

Granted, you did say it added more than the last two, which I'm assuming means PW (bleh) and MGS4.

Huh? I find it hard to believe anyone could come to that conclusion. At best, MGSV added nothing to the overall MGS story, and at worst it actively cheapened past events.

Granted, you did say it added more than the last two, which I'm assuming means PW (bleh) and MGS4.
I think he meant Metal Gear 1, and Metal Gear 2. And it seems your unfamiliar with those games, since the ending adds alot to them.

Edzi

I think he meant Metal Gear 1, and Metal Gear 2. And it seems your unfamiliar with those games, since the ending adds alot to them.

Eh, he specifically said MGS, so I dunno if he meant MG. I am familiar with the story though, and no, it doesn't add a lot to them or the overall lore of the series. None of the questions it answered needed to be answered. Everything it added was unnecessary and in a lot of cases hurt the characters/plot of earlier games.

I'm kinda scared of opening this can of worms again, since this exact conversation has been done to death in this thread.

Chola

Banned
Eh, he specifically said MGS, so I dunno if he meant MG. I am familiar with the story though, and no, it doesn't add a lot to them or the overall lore of the series. None of the questions it answered needed to be answered. Everything it added was unnecessary and in a lot of cases hurt the characters/plot of earlier games.

I'm kinda scared of opening this can of worms again, since this exact conversation has been done to death in this thread.

All MGS4 did was retcon the shit of MGS 2 and PW told the most obvious story in BB's life
But MGS 5 ending recontextualizes his legacy, did kojima planned this from the very beginning of the series?fuck no but fits fine

Bull.

You have awesome stuff like the
Parasite Infection
and the conclusion to the medical bay side quest, which are considered the best momments of the game.
That mission is probably the only good thing from chapter two. I still remember seeing chapter 2 and feeling like the dude a few posts above. Then heartbreak struck.

MMarston

Quiet's Ending is also a good moment for me too...sort of...

Actually, it's more like a big waste of a good moment.

Finished chapter 1 and played a bit of chapter 2.
Perhaps in disagreement with the majority, but I really enjoyed the whole game, and even the story though it was of course not as 'fun' as usual (I already spoiled myself 'the man who sold the world' - but I was pretty convinced that Venom was not big boss very early on. I did think he was a clone or Solidus though).

I have to say, though. Perhaps it is just nostalgia making me kinder, but skullface's speech in mission 30 has to be the most nonsensical gibberish I have ever listened to in a MGS game. And that's saying something.

Also the whole parasite plot was extremely difficult to swallow as 'science' within MGS' universe. And again... that's saying something :)

V's Chapter ending for me is Chapter 1, a la the Chapter 4 ending in Peace Walker ... where as Mission 43, 45, 46 is basically like the bonus Ch5 ending of PW (so, they're sort of like post-credits bonus ending scenes in the same way any post-ending 'tape' is).

defined in that way, the Chapter 1 ending scene + tapes are probably my 2nd favorite MGS ending scene too... really loved the Mother Base scene. still a long stretch from the MGS3 ending scene but basically every video game is.

that said, the ending 'sequence'... so I guess what I would define as complete concluding experience... in PW, the tower assault + boss fight + ending scenes... Outer Haven in MGS4, Rex + melee + jeep in MGS1, or 'return to Grozny Grad + Volgin + Shagohad + escape in MGS3...

in that way, MGS V probably the worst by far. I kinda like parts of OKB Zero but there's no way OKB Zero + Sahelanthropus come anywhere close to even the great tower fights, the use of music, etc in PW's ending sequence or the sort of relentless of Liquid in MGS1... heck even MGS4 (which I hate) had that great microwave scene. and the last hour of MGS3 is basically the great cinematic ride in gaming IMO =p OKB Zero and Sahelanthropus are pretty sad compared to those

but again, loved the Mother Base scene. Vengeful Kaz's speeches and rants are always golden.

Coreda

Re-watched the footage I saved of the Paz encounter, and I felt the last cutscene is the most satisfying of the game, yet entirely missable. It provides characterization and a human connection to Venom in a touching way and is one of the few instances you get a better sense of his time as a medic. Most of the game is playing as someone else, essentially, so these types of scenes where we get some moments with the person behind the persona are appreciated.

Top Bottom