• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro developer: DirectStorage will be very beneficial for PC gaming

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I thought that was pretty obvious. I didn't say the PS5 was the best system out there. It's just the best at SSD stuff right now. PC is still playing catch up with I/O stuff and I'm not wrong.
You did say pc hardware is catching up on the PS5.

x1
We didn't see dentists twice a year in my day.
teehee, i get it! (i think...)

9Hoafvj.jpg

Yeah, too bad ps5 now has none of what a gaming rig can do, as the only thing they got going was Cerny's ssd system.

"But, muh games, they are worth the platform alone! Pc can't take them from me no one wants to wait for a PC release !"

5ea2f4.jpg
Shhhh, remember, those games are the greatest things since sliced bread... Until they hit PC, then they become "hand me downs". I swear some of these posters can't be over the age of 12, having weird mentalities like that. Some of these same shills will soon say R&C ain't all that.... Imagine that

Last edited:
This is only partly true. But SSD is just one piece of the puzzle, you also need fast decompression unit to go with it. PCs do not have dedicated hardware asset decompression units like the consoles. The temporary solution is to fall back to CUDA cores via RTX IO until there's a silicon implementation sometime in the future.

Reposting the same images of marketing buzzwords doesn't lend you any more credibility. A 10x faster storage medium doesn't give you 10x more performance, that is not how system performance works as there are many other factors at play here, shaders and graphics rendering being one major example.

Currently PC use CPU & RAM for decompressing/processing data before the data is accessible by the video card. Direct Storage will change it to Video Card & VRAM resources. In other words the data will go from your (NVMe) SSD straight to the video card for decompression & processing. That is it, that's the whole magic behind this API.

Ah, and here we go again. So Microsoft, NVIDIA must be foolish to develop and bring technologies like RTX IO, SFS, and DirectStorage to PC because... more memory... You could have literally saved them a ton of R&D cash and solved the problem right there, buddy.

Again, nobody is saying that Directstorage isn't beneficial, so stop it with the frikkin' straw-manning.

What people are taking issue with is the unsubstantiated hype and overexaggerated representation of this API by fanboy who do nothing else but lap up the sensationalist marketing talk. The hardware for this has existed for a long time on PC now. These developments are made because the massive console audience has now finally switched to SSD technology also.

That's not how it works. The pipeline between storage and system RAM is still massively slow and has bottlenecks. NVMe drives are nowhere close to being fully saturated with the current ancient storage APIs. Transfering huge amounts of data from storage to fill up all memory is still going to be painfully long if you don't solve the I/O bottleneck that DirectStorage is looking to solve.

That is exactly how it works. The CPU on your console has the exact same bandwidth as the CPU in your PC system, because they are both functionally the same. GPUs need higher memory bandwidth because their many cores are designed for parallel computing while CPUs need bigger memory size for performing serial tasks.

Nowadays, the best CPUs have about 60GB/s while the best GPUs have 750GB/s memory bandwidth. So offloading some of that workload from the CPU to the GPU is beneficial to system performance.

1*jmyW9rqn_qWdVx2LlLdUMQ.png

When consoles are advertising their bandwidth, they are talking about GPU bandwidth. Even an old 780ti has 336 GB/s bandwidth, which is exactly comparable to the series X.

Last edited:
Holy shit it's like Austin Powers 3 in this thread
<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="19735343" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.345945945945946"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/austin-powers-ilove-gold-goldmember-gif-19735343">Austin Powers ILove Gold GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/austinpowers-gifs">Austinpowers GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>
what the hell is that? are you speaking in tongues??

MikeM

Except PC has more powerful hardware. SSD in PS5 is only 5.5GB/s. how cute. PC can do 7.1GB/s and will likely go to 14.2GB/s next year.

that’s just the SSD. pc can have 8, 12, 16, 24 cores and run at ~5GHz. For RAM most people have 16GB which same as PS5 but of course the console only has about 13GB accessible and needs to share that between RAM + VRAM. Most people playing games on PC have a dedicated GPU so have anywhere between 6-24GB VRAM. my pc has 32GB RAM + 12GB VRAM. oh and PC RAM can run at 3000-4700MHz but will only get faster next year.

PS5 is already outdated compared to PC and it will only get worse :)

But how many people's PCs can actually outperform XSX/PS5 specs wise and performance wise? Steam survey shows the below:

GPU: Most popular is a GTX 1060 at 8.65%. Next popular is GTX 1050ti at 6.49% followed by a GTX 1650 at 5.45%. Anything RTX is only at 4.83% (RTX 2060) followed by 2.36% (RTX 2070) with numbers dwindling below 1% for any other RTX equivalent card. The overwhelming majority of PC owners have graphics capabilities lower than XSX/PS5.

CPU: only slightly above 5% of those surveyed had clocks higher than 3.7Ghz. Most popular core counts were 4 cores (40.38%) followed by 2 cores (13.84%) (if I am understanding "physical CPUs correctly").

SSD/HDD: No data.

I'd argue that, given the actual usage metrics of those gaming, that the XSX/PS5 is not outdated at all and is in fact more powerful overall than a majority of gamers' PCs. This will change in time, but its easy to say XSX/PS5 is outdated already when comparing them to the latest GPUs costing double or triple the price of the consoles. But in the real world, the consoles are not outdated when compared to actual PCs being used today. I know that PC vs console specs are never apples to apples though.

Last edited:
But how many people's PCs can actually outperform XSX/PS5 specs wise and performance wise? Steam survey shows the below:

GPU: Most popular is a GTX 1060 at 8.65%. Next popular is GTX 1050ti at 6.49% followed by a GTX 1650 at 5.45%. Anything RTX is only at 4.83% (RTX 2060) followed by 2.36% (RTX 2070) with numbers dwindling below 1% for any other RTX equivalent card. The overwhelming majority of PC owners have graphics capabilities lower than XSX/PS5.

CPU: only slightly above 5% of those surveyed had clocks higher than 3.7Ghz. Most popular core counts were 4 cores (40.38%) followed by 2 cores (13.84%) (if I am understanding "physical CPUs correctly").

I'd argue that, given the actual usage metrics of those gaming, that the XSX/PS5 is not outdated at all and is in fact more powerful overall than a majority of gamers' PCs. This will change in time, but its easy to say XSX/PS5 is outdated already when comparing them to the latest GPUs costing double or triple the price of the consoles. But in the real world, the consoles are not outdated when compared to actual PCs being used today. I know that PC vs console specs are never apples to apples though.
There are millions more computers with much better specs than XSX and ps5 out in the wild, for the past 2-3 years.

Let me ask you a question. How many ps4 owners, now have possession of a ps5? Extremely low percent.

I don't get why this "point" keeps getting brought up?

We should get a little discord server going, hop on at late night, playing Chivalry 2 with the homies. Maybe turn the lights down, have some romantic music playing in the background. Just hanging out with the homies, nothing more, nothing less. We could even turn our webcams on. Hot Tub streaming is getting pretty popular, we could all just meet up ya know?

We should get a little discord server going, hop on at late night, playing Chivalry 2 with the homies. Maybe turn the lights down, have some romantic music playing in the background. Just hanging out with the homies, nothing more, nothing less. We could even turn our webcams on. Hot Tub streaming is getting pretty popular, we could all just meet up ya know?
haha talk about painting a picture, sound like a real party!!

dAFiX7l.jpg

Md Ray

What's that going to be like?

I mean I know the PS5 has a lot of I/O hardware inside the APU. So maybe the MOBOs will have something similar?
Oh, it will likely be incorporated into the GPUs. Think of this as a dedicated RT Cores performing RT operations or like the Tensor cores that enable mixed-precision computing, FP16 to accelerate AI workloads.

Last edited:

Md Ray

How could you do this to Md Ray Md Ray ??

tenor.gif
Star Citizen literally proves my point as to why DirectStorage is needed.

You have this YT'er testing on a 3.5 GB/s Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe vs 0.55 GB/s 860 EVO SSD, and it literally makes no difference in loading time. That NVMe is literally over 6x faster than SATA-based SSD.

In fact, the slower SSD comes in a second or two faster than NVMe...

I can't find any data on Dishonored, I'll be happy if you can provide the data in a video or in a written article form.

Md Ray

Reposting the same images of marketing buzzwords doesn't lend you any more credibility.
Are you talking about this?
1QNpe1t.png

It's literally a screenshot from a Game Stack DirectStorage talk meant for the developers, it's not some marketing talk or buzzwords for the general public. It is no different from a GDC talk or a SIGGRAPH talk.

You can stay in denial, for all I care. Speaking of credibility, at least I back up what I say with actual dev talk, whitepapers, and quotes from rendering/engine programmers unlike some people here.

Last edited:

Md Ray

In other words the data will go from your (NVMe) SSD straight to the video card for decompression & processing. That is it, that's the whole magic behind this API.
Not just that, it also allows devs to fully tap into NVMe's bandwidth, as currently, this isn't happening with the current storage API's programming model.
Existing APIs require the application to manage and handle each of these requests one at a time first by submitting the request, waiting for it to complete, and then handling its completion. The overhead of each request is not very large and wasn’t a choke point for older games running on slower hard drives, but multiplied tens of thousands of times per second, IO overhead can quickly become too expensive preventing games from being able to take advantage of the increased NVMe drive bandwidths.
-from the DS dev blog

SantaC

Your XSX/PS5 are made of PC parts. Theyre a PC in a box.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I play on both console and pc, but pc gamers really struggle when something is better than on pc at the moment. Just because you guys think spending a lot of money on hardware is immediately better?

I have yet to see pc games, loading that fast and streaming assets immediately. Even Star Citizen is not fast enough with SSD since it's has a lot of driver overhead atm (same as other pc games). Even with RTI/O, not every pc gamer will benefit from it in the future since not everyone has the same hardware.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I play on both console and pc, but pc gamers really struggle when something is better than on pc at the moment.

Many players build nice rigs just to future proof and spend most of their time playing indies and older titles

There's a reason the most popular GPUs are usually outdated ones

There's a reason the most popular GPUs are usually outdated ones
really? i have a 2070 and can run games going back 20 years, maybe some tweaking but not much and they run fine. do they run better because they are closer to target hardware present at the time the game came out?

teezzy

Banned
really? i have a 2070 and can run games going back 20 years, maybe some tweaking but not much and they run fine. do they run better because they are closer to target hardware present at the time the game came out?

I have a 2070 too

I think the most popular card is a 1070 or some shit still, per Steam statistics

My point was that people have this weird idea of PC players being snobs, but in actuality most are chill just playing what they can with modest hardware. Heck, my most played game is Tekken 7... shit is old

It's why all this console warring is so strange to me, as funny as it can be. I hear Nintendo and Xbox fans sharing the same frustrations. Seems like Playstation fans are just very aggressive/annoying about it

Nerds gonna nerd, I guess

I wonder what the next striking point will be amongst this crowd after direct storage releases?

Here's the current roadmap, I left out a bunch of fallacies, so feel free to add them in.

RDNA 3
SSD raises ps5 10TF
SSD is the new GPU
Unreal Engine 5 demo can't run on PC
Equivalent to a 3700x CPU
Primitive Shaders >>≥ Mesh Shaders

Direct Storage isn't out yet, ps5 >>>> PC.

Laughs in braille

Md Ray

That is exactly how it works. The CPU on your console has the exact same bandwidth as the CPU in your PC system, because they are both functionally the same. GPUs need higher memory bandwidth because their many cores are designed for parallel computing while CPUs need bigger memory size for performing serial tasks.

Nowadays, the best CPUs have about 60GB/s while the best GPUs have 750GB/s memory bandwidth. So offloading some of that workload from the CPU to the GPU is beneficial to system performance.
Not how it works. As per MS, the storage to system memory transfer is slow and has a number of bottlenecks like checks/operations. Slow as in, it doesn't matter if it's a 500 MB/s drive or a 5 GB/s drive... You aren't taking full advantage of that 5 GB/s drive, in games. Very little, if that.

Here's a synthetic benchmark to show which ones are NVMe drives and which ones are SATA-based SSDs. After looking at this, you can look at game load time benchmarks and see for yourself how there's very little to no difference between the fastest NVMe and the fastest SATA SSD.
4-p.webp

13-p.webp

12-p.webp

11-p.webp

9-p.webp

8-p.webp

7-p.webp

6-p.webp
5-p.webp

10-p.webp

Here's Microsoft's reasoning behind this:
Unfortunately, current storage APIs were not optimized for this high number of IO requests, preventing them from scaling up to these higher NVMe bandwidths creating bottlenecks that limit what games can do. Even with super-fast PC hardware and an NVMe drive, games using the existing APIs will be unable to fully saturate the IO pipeline leaving precious bandwidth on the table.
-from DirectStorage dev blog

Here's the kind of improvement you can expect when DirectStorage becomes commonplace in the PC space:
Y5Sq1gK.jpg

-97% reduction in the case of Final Fantasy 7
OG3qv5h.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom