• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

Vox Machina

Banned
You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. They need to do a better job with the ports and making the games still feel like a part of PlayStation not apart from PlayStation.

What does this even mean and why would PC gamers want that?

lmimmfn

The hate for Ratchet is weird. when I build a new PC I will absolutely buy it, Ratchet on PS2/3 was great fun and I expect this is too.
I think it's more to do with the fact it seems like a kid game on paper. My sister in law bought me the first game on the PS2, I was disappointed until I played it and had an absolute blast, since then I've bought them all on PS3/PS4( not played all thought ).

Game is great fun.

Release a game that people want to buy and people will buy it.

This is simply not a game I'd believe a ton of people to be interested in.
Kind of kid-friendly based on an old IP that didn't have that many fans to begin with.

Not sure what people were expecting, PC platform has a much higher average gamer age (last thing I recall was 33 years or so?) and that reflects in the titles that do well.
Can't imagine a Ratchet & Clank title being super interesting to a lot of 30+ year olds.
Many of those 30 year olds were like 12 for the golden age of rnc lol. Rift apart isn't necessary a rnc game, name aside. 75% of the game is ratchets female lesbian alter ego. The gameplay is pretty great though. The "le resistance" bit is cringe as fuck though.
360. had similar, not much longer development time and produced much more high budget high quality games. we got entire trilogies in the span of 1 console generation with prod values that are still good today.
You make a very good point. Maybe the true cut off line is the "lol lmao look they have individual pores on their faces, this is what real gaming is"

Stooky

From the Book of Gaming, PC Master Race 4:10

‘Once summoned from the horns of the 3 headed serpernt Digitalfoundurus , PC master race shall descend from the cloud temple adorned in silver and gold ssd’s to poop on all consoles across the land’

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Many of those 30 year olds were like 12 for the golden age of rnc lol. Rift apart isn't necessary a rnc game, name aside. 75% of the game is ratchets female lesbian alter ego. The gameplay is pretty great though. The "le resistance" bit is cringe as fuck though.
R&C never had a big fanbase, though.
Even the "golden age" of R&C is nowhere near comparable to the Nintendo titles where people carry those with them as "formative" memories.
Honestly, I was still in my teens around that time and I barely heard of the games, let alone play one of them. And that was when I still very actively played on consoles.

A certain cult following, sure, but that's just not enough for a full price title like that to become a big hit.

Even the "golden age" of R&C is nowhere near comparable to the Nintendo titles where people carry those with them as "formative" memories.
Honestly, I was still in my teens around that time and I barely heard of the games, let alone play one of them. And that was when I still very actively played on consoles.

A certain cult following, sure, but that's just not enough for a full price title like that to become a big hit.
Very true. My personal familiarity is in no way reflective of the profitability of the ip as a whole

Freeman76

Why are people claiming for exclusive what do it change for ps console owner if we get the same games???
Changes nothing. Some people are just dickheads especially when it comes to Sony fanboys. Those are the worst types of gamers as far as I'm concerned.

I think the more console games that get released on PC the better, I don't play PC personally but there are a lot of games on PC that I wish would come to console.

All this exclusivity stuff is the equivalent of children arguing about who had the best toy. It's pathetic, but unfortunately a part of gaming that will never die.

Pulling an opinion out of thin air here, but hardly surprising as I think R&C is one of those titles that people would have already gotten on PS5 if they were a fan, and realistically most people are not going to "double dip" as there is no reason, unless it is Skyrim and you have a spare toaster, I guess.

Nydius

Late to the thread and I was just about to type this exact response.

I love R&C because it reminds me of cartoons like Rocky & Bullwinkle: It's got animation to appeal to kids but if you really listen to the dialog and jokes it's clearly got an undercurrent of adult humor. Especially the older trilogy that had no qualms about making fun of pop culture. But just like Rocky & Bullwinkle, it's super niche and always will be. I never expected it would be a big seller on PC because it's really not a big seller on PlayStation.

lmimmfn

The QA sux its no wonder its not selling well, as well as 10+ gameplay bugs requiring restart from checkpoint I've now had 3 game breaking bugs requiring reboots and now about to complete the game heading to Savali for the second time and Rachet is stuck in space looking at the planet able to move around the map lol.

Steam Deck verified lol. I can reload from 50% through the game losing several hours but fuck it, done with this.

Last edited:

squarealex

Maybe Sony should stop releasing year old games on PC at full price.

You can always pray and expect Sony to releases his big Single Player games at the same day on PlayStation / PC.

At least, you can enjoy Live Service game at the same day, like Helldivers 2, or maybe PC players just loving playing OW-shit like Days Gone, Horizon.

Also, Sony need to bring Denuvo on his game. Maybe PC players will stop pirating PlayStation Games at Day one

Last edited:

Zathalus

If they are better options why all the port begging in the past?

PC gamers will blame everything under the sun except believing how insignificant their market is.

Rampant with piracy and no one willing to pay full price for a game.

Waiting for sales or torrents.
Insignificant? Yeah right:

Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png

Last edited:

Stuart360

Just got to bring the right games to be honest. Bloodborne would probably beat GOW's player numbers, possibly Demon's Souls too.

Things like Ratchet and Sackboy were never going to do great on PC. In fact the only game Sony has released so far on PC where i was surprised by its player numbers was Returnal. I really expected that game to do a lot better than it did due to how popular the Rougelike games are on PC.

Roberts

The hate for Ratchet is weird. when I build a new PC I will absolutely buy it, Ratchet on PS2/3 was great fun and I expect this is too.
No hate here, it is a pretty good platformer but I played it around the same time I played Psychonauts 2 and it just wipes the floor with R&C in pretty much every department other than technical one. And, yes, I think they are comparable.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Absolute garbage, how your ilk don't get banned is beyond me
Yep, the rule shouldn't be limited to console warring but system warring. The childish fights between console fanboys is just as bad as the one between PC and console fanboys.

JCK75

If I'm being honest I had no idea it had released until the DF videos showed up in my feed.
I'll buy it today since it's pay day.

Wow Returnal really bombed huh. The sad part is they hadn't gone out of their way to make the protag an ugly old hag who looks like Bill Maher with resting bitch face syndrome, it probably would've sold much better.
Informative as always. Great analysis of why the game didn't sell well on pc. Ofc it would have sold 50 times more if it was a 21 year old Wifu.

GC_DALBEN

I have the game on ps5, and i looks great, i intented to buy it on PC, but the port is inferior to the PS5 version, ill not buy, i think they lost a lot of sales for the same reason. The day they announced the game for pc i imagined how the game would look on my 3090ti, but as it turns out the port is not even on par with the ps5 version.

Sorry about my english.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I have the game on ps5, and i looks great, i intented to buy it on PC, but the port is inferior to the PS5 version, ill not buy, i think they lost a lot of sales for the same reason. The day they announced the game for pc i imagined how the game would look on my 3090ti, but as it turns out the port is not even on par with the ps5 version.

Sorry about my english.
Regardless of that, I don't think the game is good enough to double dip. I'm a few hours in and find it even weaker than the 2016 reboot. It's a decent game but certainly not up to par with the better entries like Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

PC gamers will blame everything under the sun except believing how insignificant their market is.

And yet Jim Ryan keeps knocking on our door. Keeping calling our phone. Keeps on trying.
He wants some of that PC action so badly he can feel it in his loins.

Starfield will outsell every old ass Sony port combined. Jim just doesn’t get it.

Here are the issues with this release

1 - They released it 2 years later after initial release, game should have launched earlier than that on PC.
2 - They released it at full price instead of $29.99 or $39.99.
3 - Platformers don't really sell that well on PC. PC is more for MMOs, FPS, RTS, Survival and VR games.

Not sure what Sony is trying to get done here. I know game budget costs these days are insane and releasing the games on other platforms to recoup the costs makes total sense, but the way they are doing it is horrible.

Here are the only ways they can fix this moving forward

1 - Release every future PS5 *exclusve* Day 1 with PS5 and PC not just the Live Service Games. This is the only time a game has maximum hype and potential to make the most amount of sales.

2 - I get that Sony still want to do the whole *exclusive sell hardware* thing but the reality is that costs have become too much and times are changing. The only company that can get away with this is Nintendo, but Nintendo have their own way of creating things and they also aren't selling their console at a loss.

Last edited:
not really a PC gamers sort of game so not surprising. All the hype is just about how the SSD performance might impact the PC game play or not, no mention of how good the game is, shame really.

Catphish

This is one of the stupidest fucking things I've read in some time. Nice work. :messenger_poop:

Boss Mog

It might be the best game this gen and you are so petty to focus on "ugly" character ?
I'm not "petty" as you put it, I'm just looking at it objectively. People like and want to see pretty people in their entertainment. Top hollywood actors are not fat and ugly. Beauty sells and so does sex, it's just a fact of life. Why these idiots feel the need to go out of their way to make ugly characters, especially females (it's really only the females), is beyond me. Maybe shareholders of these companies should sue them because their devotion to wokeness seems to be superseding their fiduciary duty to said shareholders.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not "petty" as you put it, I'm just looking at it objectively. People like and want to see pretty people in their entertainment. Top hollywood actors are not fat and ugly. Beauty sells and so does sex, it's just a fact of life. Why these idiots feel the need to go out of their way to make ugly characters, especially females (it's really only the females), is beyond me. Maybe shareholders of these companies should sue them because their devotion to wokeness seems to be superseding their fiduciary duty to said shareholders.
She wears a helmet
you shoot aliens

Fake

She wears a helmet
you shoot aliens

You are really underestimating art direction and design choices mate. Just put a helmet into a formless body never worked.

Much better let players made they own character creation rather than giving us a souless character design. Even one of us can make a human body wearing a helmet design.

Top Bottom