• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Developer Working On Two Unannounced Titles

Robb

Gold Member
Really hope one is a new 2D Metroid. Absolutely love Dread!
metroid-metroid-dread.gif

Skeptical

One of the two is almost certainly the previously announced collaboration with 505 games on a third person action-RPG. Given that Dread was critically acclaimed and at least decently successful, Nintendo continuing their collaboration with Metroid 6 seems like the most likely contender for the other one. So not a whole lot to see here, other than the confirmation that the 505 game doesn't preclude Metroid 6 from happening.

Personally, I will continue living in my fantasy universe where Mercury Steam pitched a full Zelda II remake to Nintendo for as long as I can. I know it's not happening, but I can pretend.

Zuzu

Let's try a third person over the should metroid game! We've had 2D & 3D first person (Other M is kinda 3rd person I guess but not exactly like what I want). Now third person please with the perspective more along the lines of Control or Returnal.

Last edited:

Fbh

I actually wouldn't mind seeing them do a new attempt at 2D Castlevania.

Mirror of Fate was terrible but they seem to have improved a lot in the last 10 years

Holammer

One is definitely raiders of the broken planet 2/Spacelords 2 !

/s
I did not expect a Broken bro in this Sea of Dread.
I liked Raiders of the Broken planet, but its character design was a tad too grim and edgy. Need a mix with some nice and attractive characters there too, not a cavalcade of unlikeable assholes that mostly appeals to the teenage edgelords. Having the antagonist being able to ruin the game and pitting players against each other in a game theory exercise when the loot is divided sounds like a great idea on paper and fits the setting & context, but that's another part of what ruined the game.

Warframe would be a good model to base a possible sequel around.

Love the End Mission Reward Theme, it really set the mood. Floppy drive at the end? *Chef's kiss*

I'm sorry but we need Return of Samus port. Such a cool adventure than no-one played because it was released among Switch and BOTW.
But anyway it's a great news! Maybe something for Switch 2 even.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I did not expect a Broken bro in this Sea of Dread.
I liked Raiders of the Broken planet, but its character design was a tad too grim and edgy. Need a mix with some nice and attractive characters there too, not a cavalcade of unlikeable assholes that mostly appeals to the teenage edgelords. Having the antagonist being able to ruin the game and pitting players against each other in a game theory exercise when the loot is divided sounds like a great idea on paper and fits the setting & context, but that's another part of what ruined the game.

Warframe would be a good model to base a possible sequel around.

Love the End Mission Reward Theme, it really set the mood. Floppy drive at the end? *Chef's kiss*

I was there day1 brother , back when the game wasn't F2P.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said minus the character thing, shit, I'd play a Lycus standalone sandbox game (motorcycle & metal OST included) any day of the week over the usual games we get today.

Anyway, it's a shame, sure, it always was a GaaS title but Mercury Steam fucked up BIG time :
- Bought the game day1 ? Game has almost non existent player base? Tough luck, here's a "deluxe" version with 4, 20$ character skins barely 3-4 months after launch.

- 20 ~ 60 Eurodollars character skins

- The antagonist thing kinda ruining the game with players getting frustrated with them not coming back.ever.

- Months upon months of waiting for new mission packs.

- New chapters/missions packs that...never came.

- Balancing issues

- Game becoming F2P and becoming utter shit and even more grindy.

I could go on and on, let's just say that the devs were fucking tone-deaf when it came to any criticism and didn't know what the heck to do with the game.

Again, it's a friggin' shame cause Mercury Steam are really great when it comes to their artists , in fact, I'd say that art-direction is their strongest point (Clive B' Jericho, Castlevania LOS, Raiders etc), shame about the head honchos over there that seem to ruin their games one way or another, the potential is there, it's just that they keep shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to many things.

Anyway, I had a good 2+ years of playing the game religiously with 2 of my buddies.

PS: I'm now into Exoprimal and...I can see some parallels (the low player count specifically), hope it doesn't share the same fate as Raiders/Spacelords ...

Cheers

Thaedolus

They kinda missed the mark with Samus returns but fuckin nailed it with Dread and LoS1

I’ll keep buying their Metroid offerings

So.......after seeing this thread I was reminded I hadn't beaten Metroid Dread yet. I got stuck 2 years ago, didn't know where to go and dropped the game.

Fired up the game last night just for the heck of it, and in less than 5 minutes I figured out where to go. Dammit I feel so dumb, I must've had a mental block or something. I was enjoying the heck out of it until I just hit a wall and got burned out. Anyway, I'm back in and loving it.

Top Bottom