• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. Wii/GameCube)

hemo memo

Gold Member
theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

I kid. I kid. It looks okay.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looks exactly the same bar resolution, literally the same, sure, now I'll keep ignoring any footage or information about the game and move on to most shit posting /s
I'll stick to the original on a crt with a GC controller. The way it's meant to be played.
Keep saying that, but the Switch is the one with an actual Nvidia GPU 😎

Majukun

so, better lightning and effects (but with some strangely absent in the switch version) and with a redesigned samus that i guess is more in line with the recent designs.

I still don't pay for something i already played, i have still my copy of prime and a GC (that admittedly have not turned on in years and might just be dead)

Seeing that I have to admit it looks okayish. First reaction to the Nintendo Direct was nah, not worth the money, already played it last week in 4k Dolphin, but now I'd consider it if Nintendo would drop the price to 20€ AND give us a statement whether or not MP2 and 3 remasters are als planned.

SaintALia

Seeing that I have to admit it looks okayish. First reaction to the Nintendo Direct was nah, not worth the money, already played it last week in 4k Dolphin, but now I'd consider it if Nintendo would drop the price to 20€ AND give us a statement whether or not MP2 and 3 remasters are als planned.
It's Nintendo, the price isn't going to be dropping for now. If it does drop on a sale, it wont be dropping to half the price.

I can see with not wanting to play it again if you already finished it, but there isn't really a comparison to Dolphin 4K here, even with mods. Looks like everything got an overhaul, and 4K only covers the textures and low poly environments and models and effects of the original to an extent. Not saying this is that great of a looking game, but it far exceeds a 4K washover, which the art design does a lot of the hard work there.

I doubt we're gonna get 2 and 3 for now, but who knows, this was a shadow drop, we could get another shadow of both later or next year, but I sincerely doubt it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly I'm a little disappointed, for a majority of the time it looks great, but then you get a cutscene and stuff is just missing, minor things that seem insignificant but are important for the tension of a scene.

For example after Samus defeats the first boss and the station starts falling apart, in the original electricity starts arcing infront of the Player. This immediately tells the player something is wrong and coupled with the warnings now going off tell the player GTFO of there, this is missing in the remaster and the only indication something is wrong with the station is after the first doorway.

On entering the planets atmosphere for some reason they have removed the cloud effects infront of the ship, in the original this gave the impression that this was a difficult reentry with the ship buffeted directly in the middle of the storm. In the remaster these are gone... so it just looks like the ship is entering normally, and due to this the camera angles feel off as its trying to reinforce a tension that is now missing.

I am unsure how the person redoing these scenes missed this, they actively had to make a decision to not include them as they are there in the prior version, and especially in the case of the ship entry just feels like a worse scene.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
In case anyone is wondering how other sections of the game might look like:

GametimeUK

Does the GC controller adapter work on the remake if you set classic controls?
I just tried it for you. Its almost there, but not quite. The button mapping on Morph Ball and Missiles are switched if I remember correctly and there's no way to access the inventory in game from what I've found. The map is now bound to the pause button and both the Z button and R button are used the free aim.

Doczu

You know when you did a good job at touching up visuals in a remaster?

When you need to check up on original footage cause you thought they didn't change much. This is perfectly done, truly sutble and at first i thought they just upped the resolution and added AA.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You know when you did a good job at touching up visuals in a remaster?

When you need to check up on original footage cause you thought they didn't change much. This is perfectly done, truly sutble and st first i thought they just upped.the resolutionand added AA.
Yep, Capcom and Bluepoint could learn a thing or two from this remaster.

Top Bottom