• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. Wii/GameCube)

Killer8

I'm a fan of most of the choices they made when remastering the game except for the look of Samus suit. It almost looks like its missing a layer of shading found in the original. And I don't like how the visor is more opaque.

o5MJDlF.png

It simply looks worse than the original despite the higher quality model and assets.

RAIDEN1

Aside from this remaster which is all good for the fans, I am increasingly thinking they are saving Prime 4 for the next Switch to give it its "killer app"

When Metroid Prime came out in 2002 it was by far the most impressive game graphically I'd had seen up until that point. During the 360 era, I always fantasized in my mind what a 3D Metroid game would look like with that technology and graphical prowess. It's taken 15 years but here it is and it is glorious to me even though it obviously doesn't stand up to the cutting edge systems like PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Aside from this remaster which is all good for the fans, I am increasingly thinking they are saving Prime 4 for the next Switch to give it its "killer app"
Metroid won't be a "killer app" for any Nintendo console, they seem to tried it with the OLED but the OLED alone was enough to sell to consumers, Metroid Dread fell short... But I can see Metroid Primer 4 as a "4K enhanced" title for the next Switch, among some others...

RAIDEN1

Metroid won't be a "killer app" for any Nintendo console, they seem to tried it with the OLED but the OLED alone was enough to sell to consumers, Metroid Dread fell short... But I can see Metroid Primer 4 as a "4K enhanced" title for the next Switch, among some others...
Yeah I suppose that is as good as it'll get...Metroid Prime 4k

I'll stick to the original on a crt with a GC controller. The way it's meant to be played.
Do people still have crt tv's? People who haven't played the game are unlikely to go back and play the original for the sake of playing the original. I like the clean look of the remaster. I wasn't planning on replaying it, but I think I will now having seen the comparison videos.

Banned
I'm a fan of most of the choices they made when remastering the game except for the look of Samus suit. It almost looks like its missing a layer of shading found in the original. And I don't like how the visor is more opaque.

o5MJDlF.png

It simply looks worse than the original despite the higher quality model and assets.

this looks like what typically happens with those "fan remade Game-X with Unreal Engine!" thingies...

instead of recreating the style of the original, they simply rely on the lighting system to do the work without touching up the details that many think are a big part of the look.

and there are certainly some parts of this remaster that fall under that, but overall it looks pretty nice

Banned
It looks like my memory remembers it and not how it actually was… this is really really what I want in remasters of classics :)!!! Nice!

that was what Perfect Dark on 360 also managed to do masterfully, to the point where people who didn't compare the two versions throught it was a simple resolution bump... only to then see that every single texture, skybox and most 3D models were completely new

For anyone interested or even just curious, I gave this a test run on the two popular Switch emulators, Yuzu and Ryujinx.
The former is basically perfect but with some weird slow downs.
The latter performs flawlessly but it has some missing textures every now and then.

With some luck both could be basically a couple of hotfix away from running the game flawlessly.
I tried on yuzu , its stuck on the loading screen

peronmls

Yep, Capcom and Bluepoint could learn a thing or two from this remaster.
Nintendo “remastered” their best Nintendo64 games, MM/OOT/Starfox64 on a tiny handheld… Then came Zelda SW and All Stars that were hardly remastered for switch. This is Nintendo's first normal remaster. I wouldn’t take any lessons from them.
They clearly made other design decisions.
This is why I typically keep the original versions of remade games. Unless it almost spot on like RE:re. Demons souls PS3 still has its unique MoCap, SFX and special effects compared to the remake. Metroid Wii trilogy version is the best to play with 1:1 aiming. Some things still look better on the Wii. Like reflections and transparencies.

tr1p1ex

Yeah Metroid is probably the best known yet worst selling Nintendo franchise . Be lucky if the entire franchise has topped 10-12mn copies sold.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo held one of their famous Nintendo Direct's on February 8th, 2023. And while it was filled to the brim with all sorts of goodies for Nintendo fans to enjoy, one of the biggest announcements to come from the presentation was that not only is the Metroid Prime Remaster for Nintendo Switch real, it was shadowdropping that same day. So, if you're interested to see how much the graphics for this title has evolved in two decades, then this video is for you!

sinnergy

this looks like what typically happens with those "fan remade Game-X with Unreal Engine!" thingies...

instead of recreating the style of the original, they simply rely on the lighting system to do the work without touching up the details that many think are a big part of the look.

and there are certainly some parts of this remaster that fall under that, but overall it looks pretty nice
It looks better on all fronts 🤣 maybe your eyes became worse over the years ?

Banned
It looks better on all fronts 🤣 maybe your eyes became worse over the years ?

small touches of the original are missing, like the self reflection of samus on some small metallic objects, also her suit looks dull with the new lighting, which is more realistic arguably but has less style.

also some effects during the intro are absent... so there are details that are worse because the team behind this didn't take some details into account

sinnergy

small touches of the original are missing, like the self reflection of samus on some small metallic objects, also her suit looks dull with the new lighting, which is more realistic arguably but has less style.

also some effects during the intro are absent... so there are details that are worse because the team behind this didn't take some details into account
Or it wasn’t possible to include them , but to be honest , I don’t share your opinion . I bought and played Prime back in the day (USA version) I am from Europe, and apart from these details (insignificant) it’s miles a head of what we got in early 2000s. It one of the real lookers on Switch.

Last edited:

Banned
Or it wasn’t possible to include them , but to be honest , I don’t share your opinion . I bought and played Prime back in the day (USA version) I am from Europe, and apart from these details (insignificant) it’s miles a head of what we got in early 2000s.

well the whole conversation was about a small detail... it's not a dealbreaker but something that some will find disappointing.

and it was possible to include these things, this is running on literally the same engine as the original, so unless Retro removed rendering features in their newer iterations of their engine it was always possible to recreate every detail of this game, even the small ones like how Samus is lit and how she is reflected in real time on some objects in the world.

this is not anything too bad like I said... it's not a Halo Anniversary situation where someone clearly had no idea how Halo is supposed to look, it's simply nitpicking on details that aren't quite there.

the landing sequence of the original for example gives an atmosphere of danger, there's clouds and thick mist everywhere and a storm is making the landing dangerous with heavy rainfall!

and in the remaster the landing looks mildly challenging at best, the sky looks clearer, the landing procedure looks way less stressful due to reduced effects like clouds and mist, and reduced camera shake...
the rain is also paired back making the storm look less intimidating in when the camera cuts to the surface.

so that's absolutely a sequence that IMO looks clearly worse in the remaster compared to the original.
yes the assets are higher quality but the composition of the scene is just duller overall, with less tension and a lessend feeling of danger and distress.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
There’s a couple people in this thread who are breaking down or spamming emojis at the sight of any criticism. Like Alexios.

Is that a Nintendo fanboy thing or just a fanboy thing? I guess that Ezekiel guy does it too.

I think it lowers the discourse of conversation around here tbh. Then again, I guess it’s good for “reaction score” if you’re into that thing.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

My post commenting on emulation performances deleted with reason "Do not discuss piracy on NeoGAF".
Come on, who was the genius who did it and why he doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about?

Someone needs to update this guy about emulation being perfectly legal, I guess.

My post got deleted too, but it had nothing to do with piracy. We have OT's for emulators like Dolphin and videos from Modern Vintage Gamer etc going over what we were discussing in this thread. Bizarre.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There’s a couple people in this thread who are breaking down or spamming emojis at the sight of any criticism. Like Alexios.

Is that a Nintendo fanboy thing or just a fanboy thing? I guess that Ezekiel guy does it too.

I think it lowers the discourse of conversation around here tbh. Then again, I guess it’s good for “reaction score” if you’re into that thing.
Posting off topic crap like this and (cowardly without tags) accusing people you have no clue about as fanboys with nothing in their post history or life history to indicate this, because you don't like the "reaction" they clicked and want to go on rants assuming why they did it and projecting your feelings of allegiance to companies and products on them, is high quality posting that elevates the discourse so it evens out. Funny how you don't notice this for people who much more obviously react on anything positive said mind, but nobody else thought to call them out, you show you're very impartial with your ace observations. Anyway, if you're so concerned I guess the mods should warn or ban whoever you don't like based on such in depth knowledge of their psyche, let's start with Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ and me, but instead of derail threads you can make a thread listing all the members you disapprove of and why, like here you apparently agree with certain posts so obviously anyone that even hints at disagreeing with a comment or reaction to it must be some kind of fanboy/troll unworthy of being here because your opinion and the opinions you agree with are the only truths/facts.

Last edited:

JCK75

I've waited so long for this, I would have paid any price for this at any time.. but I got tired of waiting so I broke out my homebrew Wii and ripped my trilogy and run it on the steam deck.. all of the features this promises for all three games.

They simply took too long. (but I'm sure I'll still buy it eventually)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dont Tell Me Fran Healy GIF by Travis

How does the ending of Metroid Prime Remastered compare to the original, especially with Samus's new model?

0:00 Full-Scale Comparison
2:57 Half-Scale Comparison

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Posting off topic crap like this and (cowardly without tags) accusing people you have no clue about as fanboys with nothing in their post history or life history to indicate this, because you don't like the "reaction" they clicked and want to go on rants assuming why they did it and projecting your feelings of allegiance to companies and products on them, is high quality posting that elevates the discourse so it evens out. Funny how you don't notice this for people who much more obviously react on anything positive said mind, but nobody else thought to call them out, you show you're very impartial with your ace observations. Anyway, if you're so concerned I guess the mods should warn or ban whoever you don't like based on such in depth knowledge of their psyche, let's start with Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ and me, but instead of derail threads you can make a thread listing all the members you disapprove of and why, like here you apparently agree with certain posts so obviously anyone that even hints at disagreeing with a comment or reaction to it must be some kind of fanboy/troll unworthy of being here because your opinion and the opinions you agree with are the only truths/facts.
Nah, man. It’s weird to go around hitting the laugh emoji at literally every critique in the thread. The surprising part is that half those posts start off with praise but then say something like “I don’t like the new rain effects though” - bam, laugh emoji from Alexios.

This is an amazing release. No need to be sensitive of critiques.

I’m not gonna report you. You’re not hurting anyone. I just think it’s a stupid way to behave so I’m voicing that. Let’s have better discourse. Otherwise this places becomes another Reddit or twitter.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Wish Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD would get this treatment...

Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask too...
Man, what about a Nintendo Classic collection of remastered titles like this.

I know I’m dreaming, but that’d be ideal.

I think the idea got in my head from Bluepoints constant teasing. I started to wonder if they are making all the games they keep hinting at, as opposed to just one.

As Austin would say, “I like to live dangerously.”

Alexios

Nah, man. It’s weird to go around hitting the laugh emoji at literally every critique in the thread. The surprising part is that half those posts start off with praise but then say something like “I don’t like the new rain effects though” - bam, laugh emoji from Alexios.

I’m not gonna report you. You’re not hurting anyone. I just think it’s a stupid way to behave so I’m voicing that. Let’s have better discourse. Otherwise this places becomes another Reddit or twitter.
Sorry I might find some arm chair art directors funny because they don't like Samus armor can look more orange than yellow so it must be the fault of an idiotic art team who just didn't get it at all and it all proves this remaster is as bad as the average art direction-less fan UE/Unity remake. Didn't know I have to explicitly justify myself to you or risk derailing the thread because you're more interested in bullshit and have to call out anyone who disagrees with your opinion and the opinions you approve of. My bad. You literally said it lowers discourse, now you say it doesn't hurt, if it doesn't hurt why try to bring me down to your level (or rather sneakily talk bs about me without tags) and derail the thread, if you have something to tell me then just do it in a private message, spare the rest of the forum you were concerned about. I'm done with this here, move on or carry on alone.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sorry I might think some arm chair art director is funny because they don't like Samus armor can look more orange than yellow so it must be the fault of an idiotic art team who just didn't get things at all and it all proves this remaster is as bad as the average art direction-less fan UE/Unity remake. Didn't know I have to explicitly justify myself to you or risk derailing the thread because you're more interested in bullshit like this and have to call out anyone who disagrees with your opinion and the opinions you approve of. My bad. You literally said it lowers discourse, now you say it doesn't hurt, if it doesn't hurt then why try to bring me down to your level and derail the thread in the first place, if you have more to tell me then just do it in a private message or something, spare the rest of the forum you were concerned about. I'm done with this here, move on or carry on alone.
You can say this, while anyone interested can go back and clearly see the posts you are reacting to are extremely tame and fair handed, generally speaking. I’m sure one or two are misinformed or trolls.

Again, it’s an amazing release. Lighten up if people have a few personal critiques.

Last edited:

Killer8

Sorry I might find some arm chair art directors funny because they don't like Samus armor can look more orange than yellow so it must be the fault of an idiotic art team who just didn't get it at all and it all proves this remaster is as bad as the average art direction-less fan UE/Unity remake. Didn't know I have to explicitly justify myself to you or risk derailing the thread because you're more interested in bullshit and have to call out anyone who disagrees with your opinion and the opinions you approve of. My bad. You literally said it lowers discourse, now you say it doesn't hurt, if it doesn't hurt why try to bring me down to your level (or rather sneakily talk bs about me without tags) and derail the thread, if you have something to tell me then just do it in a private message, spare the rest of the forum you were concerned about. I'm done with this here, move on or carry on alone.

Having an opinion on an artistic choice doesn't make someone an 'arm chair art director'. Do you also think you need to be a painter or a sculptor to have a personal opinion about a piece of art? The critique about the armor isn't even related to the color - it's about the evident lack of reflectivity in the remake.

Just a retarded ass take and your emojis suck too. Laugh at everyone and then cry in walls of text to justify getting called out for your low effort posting.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I'm not a huge fan of the added haze/fog effects in Tallon. Makes everything look more washed out. Original had warmer colors and better contrasts.

Alexios

Having an opinion on an artistic choice doesn't make someone an 'arm chair art director'. Do you also think you need to be a painter or a sculptor to have a personal opinion about a piece of art? The critique about the armor isn't even related to the color - it's about the evident lack of reflectivity in the remake.

Just a retarded ass take and your emojis suck too. Laugh at everyone and then cry in walls of text to justify getting called out for your low effort posting.
Yeah, that's not what I said you have to be at all. Sorry you feel you can have your opinion about how it's like a fan remake but anyone's different opinion must be a retarded take, got it, lol, great high effort posting there, I'll try and be more like you though I'll probably need a lobotomy for that 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

nkarafo

How about some of the effects that were missing from the Wii trilogy version?

Like the cool magnify effect of the scan visor. Is it in the remaster? There were some other missing effects on Wii but i don't remember right now.

Top Bottom