• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. Wii/GameCube)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The thing that impresses me most is how well this game respects the art direction and designs of the original, even as it changes all of the details. I haven't seen a remake do that as well since Shadow of the Colossus.

I also think it's worth calling out the focus on performance. This game runs at a locked 1080/60, which is rare on Switch, and still manages to look quite good doing it.

Gorgyles

Banned
The thing that impresses me most is how well this game respects the art direction and designs of the original, even as it changes all of the details. I haven't seen a remake do that as well since Shadow of the Colossus.

I also think it's worth calling out the focus on performance. This game runs at a locked 1080/60, which is rare on Switch, and still manages to look quite good doing it.
It's 900/60 but I have no complaints

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I prefer a sequel. I've played ED already, it could use a sequel that elevates it.
I agree, but a new generation has no history with the game. Remakes are cheaper and gives the company a sense as to the feasibility of creating a sequel/market for the game. Would be one hell of a project for Retro Studios.

I'm also unsure if you can quite capture that magic without, dare I say, Dennis Dyak.

Sleepwalker

It's not that good.

- Some of the art direction is worse than the original. A lot of the darker/moody stuff in OOT is brighter and more colorful in the 3DS remake.
- The 3D models are inconsistent. Some models are remade, others not so much.
- Same with the environments. Some have been remodeled, some have not. It doesn't hide it's N64 origins.

The art direction stuff won't ever be fixed so in that regard the original will remain unmatched, and by original I mean the first prints of the game since even the later cartridges got patched making Ganon's blood green instead of red and removing the choir chants in the fire dungeon as well as the blood on the floor and walls on some rooms.

It's a shame they moved away from all that, the original was dark and moody as hell when it wanted to be.

If we ever get a new remake, it'll be colorful and childish.

Woopah

That Alexios guy is gone, so we can fairly critique the game now.

I’d love to see Nintendo continue on with more remakes or remasters. Especially judging by this one.

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are obvious candidates. Twilight Princess would intrigue me, but I don’t want to do that water temple again.

I’d still like to see Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remastered. Other than that, just make all Donkey Kongs available in pristine form and maybe some extras.
Prime 2 and 3 were apparently in the works before Retro took over Prime 4. Maybe we'll see them come out one day.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Excuses, there was nothing wrong with the doors before and the original dev knows what the issue is.
Why "excuses"? I'm not working for Rare so I don't need to give excuses. I do a lot of UX/UI work though, so I can see it being the case.

Or are you implying switch is not powerful enough to render the door as GC so excuses must be given? It's not an "error", it's clearly a design decision whatever the reason behind it is.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Don't hold your breath -these ROMs are already playable on Switch for a monthly fee.
Breathe Out GIF by Bernardson

Why "excuses"? I'm not working for Rare so I don't need to give excuses. I do a lot of UX/UI work though, so I can see it being the case.

Or are you implying switch is not powerful enough to render the door as GC so excuses must be given? It's not an "error", it's clearly a design decision whatever the reason behind it is.
It’s not Design decision, but an oversight. The doors looked great before and to make them look as poor as they do now is gross. Door design aside I’ll be picking it up. I’m not sure why people are making excuses for this. It’s wierd.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It’s not Design decision, but an oversight. The doors looked great before and to make them look as poor as they do now is gross. Door design aside I’ll be picking it up. I’m not sure why people are making excuses for this. It’s wierd.
Because it clearly doesn't seem like that, but whatever, to each their own, only 3 people or so don't like the effect

The overworld and chibi Link (when it released) were my biggest hangups. Every Zelda since OOT is superior in some way or another -lets face it BOTW has by far the best overworld, its flaws are in other areas.

OOT just hasn't really been topped as a complete, flawless manifestation of 3D Zelda. Sure, it could be improved because it was their very first try and on N64 -the same way Resident Evil was a masterpiece that still benefited from some tweaking in the REmake. In that way OOT is the one that stands to benefit the most from a legit remaster/remake.

I think the decision to only release their most iconic 3D titles for portable was very intentional, it's the Disney Vault mentality. We got Prime because it isn't a big seller and therefore not a high stakes deal to them. Even that took 6 years. They will save OOT to bail them out of a fuck up -if/when a console doesn't do as well as they hoped, next holiday bam OOT remake. Besides, if they did a full on HD remake of OOT, it would make other Zelda titles look shitty and would suddenly have to try harder with their new games. Their worst nightmare if you look at TotK.
The dunkey video on OoT summarized it best. As an edgy fanboy kid you will go "duh the NEW Zelda is obviously the best!". But if you grow up and take a levelheaded look, OoT is still the biggest masterpiece.

Top Bottom