• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. Wii/GameCube)

Elysion

Banned
While it's cool enough to get Prime itself, I think I'm even more excited that Nintendo actually remastered a game.

My god I've been waiting for this moment for 20 years. We just may yet get a console remake of Starfox 64 or Ocarina before I die lol. If I can hold on another 40 years, I say my chances are 50/50

Maybe a next-gen remake of Twilight Princess as a Switch 2 launch title? I would love to see a return to the OoT/TP artstyle, as we saw in the Wii U Zelda techdemo that Nintendo showed at E3 2012:
mohKnad.jpg

BlackTron

Maybe a next-gen remake of Twilight Princess as a Switch 2 launch title? I would love to see a return to the OoT/TP artstyle, as we saw in the Wii U Zelda techdemo that Nintendo showed at E3 2012:
mohKnad.jpg

Spaceworld 2000 wasn't enough, they had to pull that same BS with Wii U!

OOT remake has been my most wanted Nintendo game for 20 years so I'm with you there. But TP....this is the game I enjoy the least for the number of times I've purchased it. Not again lol

Yeah I suppose that is as good as it'll get...Metroid Prime 4k
I highly doubt a switch 2 Is going to be 4k. Unless you wait 10 years. Ps5/xsx can barely get 30fps in 4k. Switch 2 will be hybrid. It may have 4k up scaling but not native. This is Nintendo and battery life and cost matter. Look at steam deck. 1200 x 800. I can't pump out some games on screen at 1080p docked but performance drops, and that is 10x the performance of a switch.

Regardless resolution really doesn't matter after a point. 1080p is good enough as long as it has high res textures and models. Prime 4 will look good and be fun no matter the resolution.

I've waited so long for this, I would have paid any price for this at any time.. but I got tired of waiting so I broke out my homebrew Wii and ripped my trilogy and run it on the steam deck.. all of the features this promises for all three games.

They simply took too long. (but I'm sure I'll still buy it eventually)
Wouldn't that be missing thr better textures, models and dual stick controls. As a Newby to metroid prime, playing this with classic controls would suck.

I also ask because I have dolphin on my deck, but haven't used it for anything but windwaker. Does mp2 and 3 have better controls or are they all no moving and shooting. I noticed in the switch version if you switch to classic controls you can't move and shoot at the same time, no strafing and no looking up and down while moving. It felt horrible.

Last edited:

Banned
Wouldn't that be missing thr better textures, models and dual stick controls. As a Newby to metroid prime, playing this with classic controls would suck.

I also ask because I have dolphin on my deck, but haven't used it for anything but windwaker. Does mp2 and 3 have better controls or are they all no moving and shooting. I noticed in the switch version if you switch to classic controls you can't move and shoot at the same time, no strafing and no looking up and down while moving. It felt horrible.

you can move and shoot in every version of Prime and with every controller setting... what are you talking about?

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Had 40€ left on PayPal and tripple dipped now. Boy is this a great game. Playing with twin sticks really smooths the experience out. Although I had to Google how to invert the view (you know, how real men play FPS). Smooth as butter, but I got to stop myself to scan every bit now, to keep the pace. Same problem I had 2002…
I wanna 100% scan, I'm a completionist, so hopefully i didn't forget any boss. Now I'm going thru a guide to know what I missed.

Also if you're doing twin sticks, try adding gyro if you go into camera option. It's really great.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This is not the first time Nintendo remastered game with a lot of visual improvement
xenoblade-comp-1.jpg

What I like about Prime remaster that it's the same vein as Xenoblade DE. Not just visual improvement, but also gameplay improvement. It's like a half remaster/remake

Ok, fair point. I know this is a Nintendo owned and published game but I think of it differently than a core IP title like Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid and such.

Technically I guess Link's Awakening got a remake so I'm wrong there too.

I guess what specifically excites me is a game cut from the same cloth as its predecessor -just a better cloth. A remaster in other words I guess, remakes can do too much to impurify the original while a well done remaster can pretty much replace the original game.

I'd have liked Links Awakening better if it just used updated high res spite work with the benefits of more buttons and qol improvements. Metroid seems to be that sweet spot of just being a better version of the original game. If a big chunk of Nintendo's old stuff got that (like Xbox does) I would fucking die

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That Alexios guy is gone, so we can fairly critique the game now.

I’d love to see Nintendo continue on with more remakes or remasters. Especially judging by this one.

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are obvious candidates. Twilight Princess would intrigue me, but I don’t want to do that water temple again.

I’d still like to see Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remastered. Other than that, just make all Donkey Kongs available in pristine form and maybe some extras.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
While it's cool enough to get Prime itself, I think I'm even more excited that Nintendo actually remastered a game.

My god I've been waiting for this moment for 20 years. We just may yet get a console remake of Starfox 64 or Ocarina before I die lol. If I can hold on another 40 years, I say my chances are 50/50

105967StarFox643D.png

550w_gaming_zelda3d_boxart.jpg

E-Cat

"Incredible" isn't the word I would use. It looks good for a Switch game.
I'd go as far as to say it looks "incredible for a Switch game".

When I first played Metroid Prime in the early 2000s, I always wondered what a "next-gen" (=PS3) version would look like, and this is pretty close to what I envisioned.

Of course, it would be cool to have a ninth generation as opposed to a sevent generation remake -- a time in which a newborn child is old enough to obtain a driver's license -- but Nintendo doesn't really do that anymore.

BlackTron

Technically, 3DS is more powerful than an N64.

Technically, these are console games that I originally played on a 32" television and my post specified console remakes.

Imagine asking for a remake of Resident Evil and acting like it actually happened because it came out on 3DS instead of GameCube.

E-Cat

Technically, these are console games that I originally played on a 32" television and my post specified console remakes.

Imagine asking for a remake of Resident Evil and acting like it actually happened because it came out on 3DS instead of GameCube.
Yah, it's pretty farcical.

Banned

Technically speaking Star Fox Zero is a remake or reimagining of Star Fox 64, which itself is a remake of Star Fox 1

BlackTron

Technically speaking Star Fox Zero is a remake or reimagining of Star Fox 64, which itself is a remake of Star Fox 1

The thing is, Nintendo takes the husk of an already successful game you like, adds things you want like HD, and then changes 20-30% of the rest of the game which makes it a travesty. There's Zero for you.

If they actually just gave us a console version of what Star Fox 3D did, or had some sense like Capcom and their remakes were like Resident Evil, that would be different. But they have this blockage where they just cannot deliver an updated version of a game trapped on old hardware without adding annoying design choices or control gimmicks. That's why this Prime remaster seems so significant, like holy crap a bona-fide real Nintendo game made from the old mold, updated in HD, with absolutely no bullshit AT ALL, and it's not even $60. It almost feels like the twilight zone.

Banned
The thing is, Nintendo takes the husk of an already successful game you like, adds things you want like HD, and then changes 20-30% of the rest of the game which makes it a travesty. There's Zero for you.

If they actually just gave us a console version of what Star Fox 3D did, or had some sense like Capcom and their remakes were like Resident Evil, that would be different. But they have this blockage where they just cannot deliver an updated version of a game trapped on old hardware without adding annoying design choices or control gimmicks. That's why this Prime remaster seems so significant, like holy crap a bona-fide real Nintendo game made from the old mold, updated in HD, with absolutely no bullshit AT ALL, and it's not even $60. It almost feels like the twilight zone.

Wind Waker HD exists, and is far better than the original, with improved controls, improved game design and very good GamePad support that further enhanced the gameplay by providing a fast way to switch items on the fly and a way to have the map open at all times while sailing.

So this isn't the first remaster Nintendo did that was great.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Wind Waker HD exists, and is far better than the original, with improved controls, improved game design and very good GamePad support that further enhanced the gameplay by providing a fast way to switch items on the fly and a way to have the map open at all times while sailing.

Again, fair point. I would look silly to say "Nintendo never does it except this 1 game...I mean 2...3..4...no 5 games" all day lol. So I think I need to reframe my take on this.

While I realize this is getting a bit subjective and flaky, I did mention games "made from the old mold" -not saying WW is a bad game AT ALL but it kicked off the age of "later Zeldas" along with SS, TP and BOTW in that it has merit but cannot even begin to approach the design sensibilities Nintendo had before this tipping point circa the GC era. I want THOSE games. There's a reason OOT is the highest rated game of all time and Gamecube, with WW leading the pack, faceplanted. It's a fine game but a badly conceived product, and its art style is very easy to upscale for an upgrade.

What I'm trying to say is, WW to me is just another game. I'm excited for authentic remakes/remasters of the titles that either put Nintendo on the map (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, StarFox) or were inspired by their blueprints/cast from the same mold before things got flaky (Prime). When REmake came out, and Link was in Soul Calibur, I had dreams of a new Zelda or OOT improved remake that added new content and dungeons (kinda how Capcom did it). In 2023 the best we have is a remake of the easiest to upscale Zelda and a Link's Awakening that no longer requires your imagination -now you know the world is made of plastic.

The theme usually seems to be, you have to pick whether you want the right look, or the right controls. WW managed to lock in both for 1 game which is a huge win, but it's kinda like having Lion King 2 in HD while the first is still trapped on VHS 🤷‍♂️

Banned
Again, fair point. I would look silly to say "Nintendo never does it except this 1 game...I mean 2...3..4...no 5 games" all day lol. So I think I need to reframe my take on this.

While I realize this is getting a bit subjective and flaky, I did mention games "made from the old mold" -not saying WW is a bad game AT ALL but it kicked off the age of "later Zeldas" along with SS, TP and BOTW in that it has merit but cannot even begin to approach the design sensibilities Nintendo had before this tipping point circa the GC era. I want THOSE games. There's a reason OOT is the highest rated game of all time and Gamecube, with WW leading the pack, faceplanted. It's a fine game but a badly conceived product, and its art style is very easy to upscale for an upgrade.

What I'm trying to say is, WW to me is just another game. I'm excited for authentic remakes/remasters of the titles that either put Nintendo on the map (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, StarFox) or were inspired by their blueprints/cast from the same mold before things got flaky (Prime). When REmake came out, and Link was in Soul Calibur, I had dreams of a new Zelda or OOT improved remake that added new content and dungeons (kinda how Capcom did it). In 2023 the best we have is a remake of the easiest to upscale Zelda and a Link's Awakening that no longer requires your imagination -now you know the world is made of plastic.

The theme usually seems to be, you have to pick whether you want the right look, or the right controls. WW managed to lock in both for 1 game which is a huge win, but it's kinda like having Lion King 2 in HD while the first is still trapped on VHS 🤷‍♂️

I don't see how Wind Waker is in any way different in terms of design philosophy compared to Ocarina of Time.

the biggest difference is the way you travel between the main attractions like towns and dungeons.
the core design is extremely similar. in fact Wind Waker is superior to OoT in many ways, the first of which being the combat.

BlackTron

I don't see how Wind Waker is in any way different in terms of design philosophy compared to Ocarina of Time.

the biggest difference is the way you travel between the main attractions like towns and dungeons.
the core design is extremely similar. in fact Wind Waker is superior to OoT in many ways, the first of which being the combat.

The overworld and chibi Link (when it released) were my biggest hangups. Every Zelda since OOT is superior in some way or another -lets face it BOTW has by far the best overworld, its flaws are in other areas.

OOT just hasn't really been topped as a complete, flawless manifestation of 3D Zelda. Sure, it could be improved because it was their very first try and on N64 -the same way Resident Evil was a masterpiece that still benefited from some tweaking in the REmake. In that way OOT is the one that stands to benefit the most from a legit remaster/remake.

I think the decision to only release their most iconic 3D titles for portable was very intentional, it's the Disney Vault mentality. We got Prime because it isn't a big seller and therefore not a high stakes deal to them. Even that took 6 years. They will save OOT to bail them out of a fuck up -if/when a console doesn't do as well as they hoped, next holiday bam OOT remake. Besides, if they did a full on HD remake of OOT, it would make other Zelda titles look shitty and would suddenly have to try harder with their new games. Their worst nightmare if you look at TotK.

nordique

Guy is attention seeking, pure and simple. Retro have made the new door to stand out more, and it's a design choice, why this guy needs to point this out is beyond me.

I prefer the new doors a lot more. I like how it’s more like the 2D games now

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

The 3DS OOT remake is phenomenal, easily the definitive version of the game. Forget the weirdly negative reactions from people who don't like stereographic 3D or handhelds.

EDIT: and if you really want the ultimate large-scale experience:
- Citra emulator
- OOT 3DS
- add high-res upscaled texture pack if you prefer
- run on your PC in side-by-side mode full screen
- broadcast to headset (eg. Quest 2) in "3D TV" theater mode, and have OOT looking gorgeous on a giant virtual 3D television

...you can have that in stereo 3D today if you put the work in. I can't imagine a more faithful remake, and 3D >> 2D

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

Have thinking about it lately, but Nintendo do good remakes and remasters, as much as any other high profile dev out there, but between SM3DAS and SSHD, the haters started to make it like it's all they do

nkarafo

The 3DS OOT remake is phenomenal, easily the definitive version of the game. Forget the weirdly negative reactions from people who don't like stereographic 3D or handhelds.

- Citra emulator
- OOT 3DS
- broadcast to headset (eg. Quest 2) in "3D TV" theater mode, and have OOT looking gorgeous on a giant virtual 3D television

...you can have that in stereo 3D today if you put the work in. I can't imagine a more faithful remake, and 3D >> 2D

It's not that good.

- Some of the art direction is worse than the original. A lot of the darker/moody stuff in OOT is brighter and more colorful in the 3DS remake.
- The 3D models are inconsistent. Some models are remade, others not so much.
- Same with the environments. Some have been remodeled, some have not. It doesn't hide it's N64 origins.

MrA

Wow, this is an impressive improvement, when it was announced I thought they'd just upgrade the resolution and leave it at that. Glad to have been wrong.
Id say it is because they did it right that you think its just an uprez,
like with the last of us remake, they made it look like you remember it looking and not breaking the art and atmosphere
First you're all like thats what it looked like
Boot up side by side, ohhh

Azurro

Banned
Id say it is because they did it right that you think its just an uprez,
like with the last of us remake, they made it look like you remember it looking and not breaking the art and atmosphere
First you're all like thats what it looked like
Boot up side by side, ohhh

No, no, what I meant was that I only saw a post here in NeoGAF, but I didn't watch the trailer or anything, I just read "Metroid Prime remastered" and assumed it'd be just a resolution increase.

Once I saw it it looks much better than how I remember it, that's the game I got with my GameCube ages ago.

BlackTron

Besides, if they did a full on HD remake of OOT, it would make other Zelda titles look shitty and would suddenly have to try harder with their new games. Their worst nightmare if you look at TotK.

Hate to quote myself but I think there is a lot more to this point thinking about it for a while. Once the art/production style for Zelda changed to this cartoony/shaded look that is easier to get results with on even a tablet, the equation changed. When a new Zelda has that look, it's hard to imagine why they would want to do OOT remake in its original art style. They're better off keeping it trapped on portables or a ROM in a sub service.

Imagine OOT with Prime 1 treatment compared to contemporary Zelda's. Before even playing it, it would draw attention to their graphical shortcomings and hurt their marketing. After playing it, it would draw attention to the downgrade in design/content/pacing ever since. In my opinion overall sales of Zelda would go down. In other words modern Nintendo does not want to compete with old Nintendo. To be fair, neither would I lmao.

I'm sure Prime 4 will look like Metroid always has, and same-or-better-than Prime 1 remake (way better if Switch 2). So Prime is an old game that is not really taking any thunder away from anything new.

But imagine if Retro did this same thing to OOT, and made it the best way possible on modern hardware, even a Switch -the whole world would have higher expectations for the series going forward if that happened. Just like REmake did -but they had RE4 cooking, so it was fine. Nintendo goes out of their way NOT to have a RE4 cooking all the time.

BlackTron

- Citra emulator
- OOT 3DS

I own OOT 3D, but because it came bundled with Nintendo's sexiest looking piece of hardware ever released. I played it to the third dungeon and had my fill. Today I go with the native port.

There are a lot of ways to make Metroid Prime 1 look better already, but we're talking about real releases. Not what you can do with emulators, texture packs, a VR headset and free time. If I need all that to make the game right, then it wasn't right.

I love handhelds, and I have no problem with a portable remake of a console game, I think it's awesome even -to have the option. I don't like the idea that it's supposed to be your only "upgrade" path for the highest rated game of all time.

I also did not like many of the changes Grezzo made, for example I found Link's new walking animations awkward compared to the original. And you need to watch it constantly.

I'm not alone in this being an all-time megaton game for the ages. It's presumptuous to assume someone doesn't like stereoscopic 3D just because they think 3DS does not represent the ultimate potential for a title. The 3D effect was a great idea for the shooting in Star Fox -a GREAT pairing of hardware/software. That doesn't mean I never want to play Starfox 64 on my TV ever again without agonizingly blurry textures. Fucking please.

There is another aspect to this -these trapped early 3D games happen to be some of the most "social" single player titles I've ever experienced. Games like OOT and SF64 attracted people to the TV, got them interested in the game, helping/commenting on the puzzles, or intrigued by the simple rails shooting gameplay. I haven't seen an effect like this since unless I use a game like Resident Evil or Last of Us. Friends/family would be intrigued by the expanding puzzle design in Zelda and after a dungeon is over, want to see what's next. In contrast, BOTW is boring unless you are the player because 90% of the game is just walking around outside. It's spread too thin.

When WW came out, with the bonus disk. Like 6 friends came over my house. Even though we all played it on 64 already we ended up playing through Master Quest together on the GC over a few days taking turns and watching each other play. Because it's one of the best games of all time and deserves better than being trapped on 3DS.

Business

That Alexios guy is gone, so we can fairly critique the game now.

I’d love to see Nintendo continue on with more remakes or remasters. Especially judging by this one.

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are obvious candidates. Twilight Princess would intrigue me, but I don’t want to do that water temple again.

I’d still like to see Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remastered. Other than that, just make all Donkey Kongs available in pristine form and maybe some extras.

The Ocarina of Time version for 3DS looks much better than the Nintendo 64 original already, significantly better textures and added geometry. Mario 64 for Nintendo DS also has some changes mostly for the better, even tho this version is a bit broken for me without analogue stick support and having to hold a button to run.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The Ocarina of Time version for 3DS looks much better than the Nintendo 64 original already, significantly better textures and added geometry. Mario 64 for Nintendo DS also has some changes mostly for the better, even tho this version is a bit broken for me without analogue stick support and having to hold a button to run.
They need to make those available on Switch. Sounds great.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Don't hold your breath -these ROMs are already playable on Switch for a monthly fee.
That model drives me crazy. I hope they turn their back on it at some point.

Subscription services are the norm now but it actually feels like that might be starting to scale back just a little.

You’re right, I shouldn’t hold my breath, but it’s crazy to imagine all the great collections they could put out with their rich history.

gundalf

I'm waiting for the physical release but from what I see this is not a remaster but actually a remake, it's all new lighting, materials, shaders, textures, meshes and more. I'm super curious to know what new engine is powering this game.

Last edited:

BlackTron

That model drives me crazy. I hope they turn their back on it at some point.

Subscription services are the norm now but it actually feels like that might be starting to scale back just a little.

You’re right, I shouldn’t hold my breath, but it’s crazy to imagine all the great collections they could put out with their rich history.

Even when a lame ROM of Mario 64 was made available in a 3-pack title. It was limited release. They are extremely careful about this.

They used the old model for a long time. The problem is, it became weird living in a world where they make you buy every game on every new system over again, while elsewhere you buy it once and play it on any hardware you own. And if they sell us these games on Switch, well, that's it. We will never need them again because we have a portable/console version that's good enough, forever.

They won't do that. The solution is to stop selling the games.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Even when a lame ROM of Mario 64 was made available in a 3-pack title. It was limited release. They are extremely careful about this.

They used the old model for a long time. The problem is, it became weird living in a world where they make you buy every game on every new system over again, while elsewhere you buy it once and play it on any hardware you own. And if they sell us these games on Switch, well, that's it. We will never need them again because we have a portable/console version that's good enough, forever.

They won't do that. The solution is to stop selling the games.

They are careful about it, but it does have precedent. Metroid Prime remaster is a hell of a release. The aforementioned Mario collection, while lacking, is another example of the model.

I can imagine us getting a Donkey Kong collection of some kind in the next year or two. If only because it seems like they don’t have a lot of exciting content coming up….that we know of at least.

Switch is quite old now, the Zelda title is on the way. But what else? Maybe they need to fill the gap with another collection.

Last edited:

JCK75

So what I actually use is called Prime Hack, which is amazing
there are optional HD texture and interface options you can add

Last edited:

BlackTron

They are careful about it, but it does have precedent. Metroid Prime remaster is a hell of a release. The aforementioned Mario collection, while lacking, is another example of the model.

I can imagine us getting a Donkey Kong collection of some kind in the next year or two. If only because it seems like they don’t have a lot of exciting content coming up….that we know of at least.

Switch is quite old now, the Zelda title is on the way. But what else? Maybe they need to fill the gap with another collection.

Oh, definitely. We will get games, just not remasters of their all-times classics handed out for the taking. Metroid got amazing treatment because it doesn't sell that much. Ironic, I know.

Mario 3D All-Stars wasn't really a collection put out in desperation to fill a gap -it was just a limited time anniversary event. I get what you're saying but I would sooner expect a Kirby style upgraded port of Wii DKCR than a collection. They don't seem that proud of DK64, Tropical Freeze is already there, online has SNES. Doesn't seem like a great candidate with how Nintendo does things unfortunately.

you can move and shoot in every version of Prime and with every controller setting... what are you talking about?
No you can't. The right analog stick does nothing in classic controls mode. I also tested this on dolphin on my steam deck (apparently I have prime 1 on it). Same thing. Your left stick is movement and turning, but no up and down viewing. You have to hold right analog to move gun and screen up and down. Which means you can't move while moving gun. You are basically stuck in one spot while shooting.

Its old controls that were crap at the time and crap now. You can move and shoot but not strafe and not target things in the air. The lock on helps with that, but still. The right analog does nothing. Is it the same in prime 2 and 3? You would think by 2005 and 2007 or whenever they came out there would of been updated twin stick controls, as was the standard by at least 2001/2002.

JCK75

No you can't. The right analog stick does nothing in classic controls mode. I also tested this on dolphin on my steam deck (apparently I have prime 1 on it). Same thing. Your left stick is movement and turning, but no up and down viewing. You have to hold right analog to move gun and screen up and down. Which means you can't move while moving gun. You are basically stuck in one spot while shooting.

Its old controls that were crap at the time and crap now. You can move and shoot but not strafe and not target things in the air. The lock on helps with that, but still. The right analog does nothing. Is it the same in prime 2 and 3? You would think by 2005 and 2007 or whenever they came out there would of been updated twin stick controls, as was the standard by at least 2001/2002.

There is a specialized version of Dolphin specifically for Metroid Prime called Prime Hack as I posted two posts above... it's magical and makes the entire trilogy play like any modern FPS.

dcx4610

Haven't seen it in person but I like it. It's a proper remaster with upgraded textures and not too much tinkering.

Top Bottom