• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Playing Metroid 1 and 2 at the same time is such a jarring experience!
Metroid 1 is relentless with the flying shit the game throws at you that can kill you even while you're leaving the room.
Metroid 2 is so much more subdued and then you encounter a Metroid and you're fighting for your life harder than ever :lol
In both cases Screw attack makes things so much easier!

Metroid 2 is sort of the interesting transition point between Metroid and Super. It's more refined in comparison to the first, giving Samus more control options and adding in save points and missle/health refill stations, and yet it's still really clunky and archaic compared to what came after.

I played through it all the way on my 3DS a few years ago and I did enjoy it, which is a lot more than I can say for the original Metroid, but it's not something I'd really go back to after AM2R and now SR.

Toxi

Banned
On the subject of boss fights, Federation Force's final boss might be the worst example of wasted potential in the entire series.

The game had some really good boss fights like Mainframe, and then they quite literally dropped the ball with a boss fight against giant Samus.

Ugh, I despise this kind of thinking.

I want games to take risks, damn it!

Frankly, I think it takes quite a few Risks. The change to combat design alone (melee parry + Aggressive and very damaging enemies + 360 degree aiming) is quite noteworthy and potentially alienating to fans of previous Metroid games.

But the Fundamental design is complex area traversal like previous 2D entries that maintain generally smooth pacing.

Mael

Metroid 2 is sort of the interesting transition point between Metroid and Super. It's more refined in comparison to the first, giving Samus more control options and adding in save points and missle/health refill stations, and yet it's still really clunky and archaic compared to what came after.

I played through it all the way on my 3DS a few years ago and I did enjoy it, which is a lot more than I can say for the original Metroid, but it's not something I'd really go back to after AM2R and now SR.

It's a fantastic maze game.
It's one of the few games that doesn't rely on graphical prowess to get the atmosphere right.
Metroid 1 is BS with the 30 hp restart but otherwise it's kind of trying to kill you every screen it can.
Metroid 2 is much more manageable, no sandtrap at the bottom of the screen. Most enemies aren't that active.
It's still a maze, although feels smaller in a way. The most dangerous part are clearly the Metroids that are expected to kill you.
the last versions are relentless!
I don't really want to play that game with standard Super Metroid QoL that makes the game too easy.
the game ain't even hard or confusing, just need a memory to remember where you went and have some quick reflex to deal with the bosses and the game is rather easy even on a 1st try.

Kindekuma

Banned
SAMUS IS BACK
METROID IS BACK BOYS
tumblr_m01h2kEY2d1qi7o2fo1_400.gif

Opa-Pa

Huh, I kinda missed the fact that there's checkpoints here and apparently there's lots of recharge stations... Lame.

I think M2 "suffers" a bit from the Game Boy resolution in the same way the Mega Man games do. They're not bad, they're actually (mostly) very good but the experience suffers slightly because they wanted the same detail in the sprite s as the NES game(s) but doing that means you're making things too large for the space given.

It's funny because as much crap as I will talk about IGAvanias he at least got that right for the portable CV games he made. Hell, all 3 Game Boy CV games, themselves, work well enough because of this (the slow pacing of the first game notwithstanding).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
SAMUS IS BACK
METROID IS BACK BOYS
tumblr_m01h2kEY2d1qi7o2fo1_400.gif

As a Metroid fan I used to be like "Why I gotta wait" but after these reviews Im like "lemme smang it girl. Smash it and bang"

Toxi

Banned
Several of the reviews laud the game's visuals. I think some people here just see that it's on the 3DS and is 2.5D and automatically write it off, which is a shame; artistically this seems like a major step up from Federation Force.
I agree honestly. I guess there is one thing I actually like about Other M after all.
They were in Prime 2 and 3 as well in a few instances (Most notably the final boss of Prime 3).

In a game like Dark Souls having a run to the boss works for me because the game constantly saves, so every run to the boss room is relevant for the souls and gear you pick up, and if you lose health you can't just grind it back by beating enemies. But in Metroid, any run to the boss room is completely null and void if you die, and losing health just means you spend time grinding enemies.

Several of the reviews laud the game's visuals. I think some people here just see that it's on the 3DS and is 2.5D and automatically write it off, which is a shame; artistically this seems like a major step up from Federation Force.
Backgrounds look great and elevate the context of environments, platforms don't float anymore.

The 3D effect is also one of the best the system has seen, highly recommend playing with 3D on!

YEAH BOI, I'm excited.

I've always procrastinated on playing Metroid II and I really don't like fan-games, so I skipped AM2R. Glad I did it as this was announced soon after I decided not to play it and MAN, am I excited for it. Derrick from GameXplain saying he likes Samus Returns better than AM2R makes me feel even more comfortable in my decision.

SR388

Samus Returns 3DS 88 Metacritic

It's like poetry.

lol christ

Sothpaw

They were in Prime 2 and 3 as well in a few instances (Most notably the final boss of Prime 3).

Ah didn't know that. The only boss I died to in Prime 2 was the final boss (played the Trilogy version and bosses were nerfed) and I didn't die to any Prime 3 bosses (only played on normal).

Toxi

Banned
YEAH BOI, I'm excited.

I've always procrastinated on playing Metroid II and I really don't like fan-games, so I skipped AM2R. Glad I did it as this was announced soon after I decided not to play it and MAN, am I excited for it. Derrick from GameXplain saying he likes Samus Returns better than AM2R makes me feel even more comfortable in my decision.
Give AM2R or the original Metroid 2 a try some time in the future after you beat Samus Returns. It's good even if you just want a point of reference for how impressive Samus Returns is.

I'm curious as to how good speed runners are going to get with the aiming system and managing missiles and Aeion energy thanks to Lightning Armor. Makes me excited.

Codiox

Got this game today, really liking it so far,but man this 3ds hardware... The sound quality is so bad, but the OST itself is glorious. Graphics are really pixelated.

The game is also really holding back because it's a remake. I can't imagine how good a new 2d Metroid will be with this engine.

If this ever will get a switch Version I will double dip for the graphic and sound upgrade alone.

Got this game today, really liking it so far,but man this 3ds hardware... The sound quality is so bad, but the OST itself is glorious. Graphics are really pixelated.

The game is also really holding back because it's a remake. I can't imagine how good a new 2d Metroid will be with this engine.

If this ever will get a switch Version I will double dip for the graphic and sound upgrade alone.
I thought the sound design was phenomenal! Plug some headphones in, maybe that'll help.

nynt9

YEAH BOI, I'm excited.

lol christ

AM2R is still fantastic regardless. This and it don't make each other irrelevant. They can coexist, and AM2R is basically on par with the best Metroid games in terms of quality.

Patison

If anyone was was wondering about controls and how the transition to 2,5D worked...well, you guys are in for a treat. This game is as snappy as classic installments, counter mechanic feels great and traversal is a pure joy.

And that's coming from a person who didn't enjoy 2D platformer in like 20 years. Incredible stuff.

13ruce

Banned
Awesome reviews so far and nice that the overall scores holded up on Meta and Open.

I really can't wait and with the direct tommorow the wait is pretty manageable actually. I need dis game. Samus is back for realz now babeh!

How difficult is the game by the way? And did anyone try out hard mode or fusion mode for a bit yet?

The base difficulty was regarded as difficult by most reviewers, some cited that basic enemies were generally rather aggressive and damaging. So probably closer to Fusion than Zero Mission.

MegalonJJ

Banned

Where did you get early?

Egida

Neo Member
Glad it's being well received all around. I hope this is the start of a new era of 2D Metroids running alongside the Prime game.

I am now in that awkward situation, when I've just finished a game and I don't want to start another one because I know come Friday it's gonna be left behind.

Lingitiz

That IGN review spends so much time talking about how formulaic the game is...like we've been inundated with Metroid games over the last few years. What a strange tone to take.

That IGN review spends so much time talking about how formulaic the game is...like we've been inundated with Metroid games over the last few years. What a strange tone to take.

But we have been inundated with Metroidvania type Games like Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight and AM2R and others. Metroid has to stand out in some way. I think the purity of Metroid and how all the power ups are almost guaranteed usage in some (mostly pretty creative) way for progression is why the series is so strong. It's short and Punchy, 100% completion is satisfying and not hugely tedious most of the time and often has unique challenges throughout to provide consistent variety.

Top Bottom