• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

I still feel like M and M II nailed the horror aspect of Metroid better than anything that came after, despite being on the weakest hardware. They are different enough from their objectively superior remakes and hold a certain charm that makes me want to replay them as often as other games in the series. M II is actually my favorite of the original trilogy, so I'm absolutely thrilled to have thrilled to have two different versions of the game.
I think Fusion nails the horror best. Metroid I is a bit spooky, but is more of a sort of isolation and intrepidness. Metroid II is genuinely pretty horror-ish, especially with its limitations.

Fusion though, just had me dreading what's going to go wrong next. At the beginning, the station is more or less intact, and it just gets more and more fucked as you go through the game, and each sector gets hit by the X, and the dread of the SA-X at all times (though obviously now as an adult I know it's only programmed into certain spots). Plus the bosses were hard too, which made them scarier. Every time this music played as Adam dropped some bad news I shit my pants

13ruce

Banned
Me too. Why is Samus stuck in a time loop???

Because the old Metroid games needed a remake badly. Super does not need it hopefully a fan hack or something makes it faster paced someday cuz it does feel slow imo compared to zero mission and fusion.

But i think those romhacks already exist so no remake or whatever needed for super.

If they ever make another 2D metroid then i hope it's Metroid V or a Prime game after Fusion.

Edit: googled a bit and they do exist yeah so no super remake needed.

Oidisco

Listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and I'm pretty disappointed. I was hoping there'd be a few new melodic tracks but so far I'm just hearing a bunch of ambience or chaotic boss themes. All the melodic tracks in game seem to be remixes. Hopefully this isn't the full soundtrack and there's more left for them to upload.

Why is it problem when "so many" (read: there arent) "metroidvania" games coming out, but its ok for copy paste open world go here do mission mission clear games and generic boring ass uninspired multi focused shooters being shat out almost monthly?

Dragmire

Because the old Metroid games needed a remake badly. Super does not need it hopefully a fan hack or something makes it faster paced someday cuz it does feel slow imo compared to zero mission and fusion.

But i think those romhacks already exist so no remake or whatever needed for super.

If they ever make another 2D metroid then i hope it's Metroid V or a Prime game after Fusion.

Edit: googled a bit and they do exist yeah so no super remake needed.
That's an understandable reason. I just don't think it should go on forever and I think it already overstayed its welcome a long time ago. We can have Metroid 5 while still having remakes on the side. And if Metroid Prime 4 is really part of the Prime storyline, all indications point to another mid-timeline game. We're gonna have more Prime games in the middle of the storyline than the games from the original storyline that established it. The more you add to the middle of the timeline, the more it seems like the timeline stretches and expands like an accordian. Samus has now done years worth of adventures in just a short span of time. And every game since 2002 is a prequel to Fusion.

Does anyone know if the game supports the Circle Pad Pro?

No it doesn't. I would have liked if ZR and ZL switched weapons but whatever, touch screen is fine.
By the way, regarding the current situation of Metroidvania, I think that both the hunt mechanic and AEION abilities make the game fresh to play. But next time I would like to see new powerups that change the gameplay drastically.

Listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and I'm pretty disappointed. I was hoping there'd be a few new melodic tracks but so far I'm just hearing a bunch of ambience or chaotic boss themes. All the melodic tracks in game seem to be remixes. Hopefully this isn't the full soundtrack and there's more left for them to upload.

Soundtrack was a letdown to me, and the one on youtube is the full ost (beware the spoilers!).
I like my Metroid when it's catchy.

KingBroly

Banned
Soundtrack was a letdown to me, and the one on youtube is the full ost (beware the spoilers!).
I like my Metroid when it's catchy.

To me, Game Music really does nothing for me if I can't visualize playing it at the same time. So you should probably wait to play it first before you say 'this shit sucks' or not.

Nessus

I think Fusion nails the horror best. Metroid I is a bit spooky, but is more of a sort of isolation and intrepidness. Metroid II is genuinely pretty horror-ish, especially with its limitations.

Fusion though, just had me dreading what's going to go wrong next. At the beginning, the station is more or less intact, and it just gets more and more fucked as you go through the game, and each sector gets hit by the X, and the dread of the SA-X at all times (though obviously now as an adult I know it's only programmed into certain spots). Plus the bosses were hard too, which made them scarier. Every time this music played as Adam dropped some bad news I shit my pants

Metroid II is like an old black and white horror movie with some really good jump scares.

Fusion is more refined, setting a particular mood, with more tension and build up.

To me, Game Music really does nothing for me if I can't visualize playing it at the same time. So you should probably wait to play it first before you say 'this shit sucks' or not.

That didn't change much to me, a couple of those ambience tracks are fine for the area they are played in, but I felt like some areas needed something melodic.

Codiox

Nope, he is right. played it yesterday for over 3 hours and besides the classic Metroid 2 remix soundtrack and
Norfair soundtrack
in only one area, all other soundtracks so far are really underwhelming. They are just some noisy ambient songs.

Besides that, its a fucking fantastic game. At first I really didnt like some changes they made like
you can scan the map everywhere
or
the automatic checkpoints
, but especially the first point is really growing and even necessary later in the game imo. Also the new animations for samus are so good. She is moving really natural.

Duffk1ng

Is it normal for Nintendo UK's dispatch date for preordered games to show as the same as the release date? Was hoping they might dispatch today.

KingBroly

Banned
Nope, he is right. played it yesterday for over 3 hours and besides the classic Metroid 2 remix soundtrack and
Norfair soundtrack
in only one area, all other soundtracks so far are really underwhelming. They are just some noisy ambient songs.

Besides that, its a fucking fantastic game. At first I really didnt like some changes they made like
you can scan the map everywhere
or
the automatic checkpoints
, but especially the first point is really growing and even necessary later in the game imo. Also the new animations for samus are so good. She is moving really natural.

Music's pretty subjective man. I just offered my approach to things. Saying someone is right or wrong over pure subjectivity simply shows how wrong you are.

I absolutely loved the noisy, minimalist, ugly digital ambiance of the original soundtrack so if this is anywhere up that alley, I'll be happy.

I'm happy with how a lot of the reviews are and can agree with a lot of the small quirks they mention, no metroid game after this long is going to nail the formula 100% first time, nothing will ever stand up to super metroid and it's silly to compare a new metroid game so such greatness.

I'm excited to play it and see metroid speedrunners tear it a new one.

KayMote

Hold me GAF! I already found a copy of the game in a local shop - this is a dream coming true! I have been waiting for a new 2D Metroid since the early Nintendo DS days and now it's finally here!

3uom4gij.jpg

nothing will ever stand up to super metroid and it's silly to compare a new metroid game so such greatness.

I'm always confused by this sentiment. Do people really believe Super Metroid will never be surpassed? I feel like this is such a defeatist attitude to have. Super Metroid is obviously highly revered, but there are lots of ways to improve on Super Metroid. In the Metroidvania revolution we are currently in the midst of, it's really only a matter of time until something hits all the Super Metroid bullet points and also surpasses them.

Especially if Nintendo has a revived interest in the format.

Hold me GAF! I already found a copy of the game in a local shop - this is a dream coming true! I have been waiting for a new 2D Metroid since the early Nintendo DS days and now it's finally here!

3uom4gij.jpg
Ahhhhh I want the game already!!
I looked for early copies yesterday and no dice.

Also...the samus edition 3ds releases Friday as well? I wonder if any will show up in the wild or if they were preordered into extinction.

13ruce

Banned
I'm happy with how a lot of the reviews are and can agree with a lot of the small quirks they mention, no metroid game after this long is going to nail the formula 100% first time, nothing will ever stand up to super metroid and it's silly to compare a new metroid game so such greatness.

I'm excited to play it and see metroid speedrunners tear it a new one.

I played super metroid and prefer fusion and zero mission, Super Plays too slow paced nowadays there are romhacks to fix that tho. So if those are okay then i would agree, but that's still unofficial if anyone cares about that. But ill see this friday if it holds up to fusion and zero or super.

Amalthea

Banned

3uom4gij.jpg
Please tell us if it has the reversible cover.

GeekyDad

3uom4gij.jpg

Beautiful cover. Kind of a shame they slap that big-ass green rating label on there like that.

Anyway, enjoy the fuck out of that!

I'm always confused by this sentiment. Do people really believe Super Metroid will never be surpassed? I feel like this is such a defeatist attitude to have. Super Metroid is obviously highly revered, but there are lots of ways to improve on Super Metroid. In the Metroidvania revolution we are currently in the midst of, it's really only a matter of time until something hits all the Super Metroid bullet points and also surpasses them.

Especially if Nintendo has a revived interest in the format.

Super did all the right things, sure fusion is cool and I love that game too but there's something about super metroid, it's atmosphere, it's overall design, the skills first introduced to the series like shinesparking, it's just beautiful.

Zero mission did a great job remaking the original game plus adding its own twist to the later half of the game but it's a completely different feel compared to super.

Fangames like AM2R are also amazing but they follow the zero mission route, this game feels a little slower and reminds me more of super metroid.

WestEgg

Any OT titles thrown out yet?

I like Metroid Samus Returns OT: I Want my Baby Back

Metroid Samus Returns OT: Return of Samus Returns

Toxi

Banned
That's an understandable reason. I just don't think it should go on forever and I think it already overstayed its welcome a long time ago. We can have Metroid 5 while still having remakes on the side. And if Metroid Prime 4 is really part of the Prime storyline, all indications point to another mid-timeline game. We're gonna have more Prime games in the middle of the storyline than the games from the original storyline that established it. The more you add to the middle of the timeline, the more it seems like the timeline stretches and expands like an accordian. Samus has now done years worth of adventures in just a short span of time. And every game since 2002 is a prequel to Fusion.
Uh, no? There's nothing to indicate the Prime trilogy take place over more than one year.

Top Bottom