• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3 Snake Eater Remake: What are your expectations?

solidus12

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a masterpiece. It’s one of my favorite games ever.

I’m afraid that Konami might do a shitty job remaking the game. I was browsing YouTube and came across this comparison between the HD collection on PS360 and the updated visuals from the Pachinko.

OMG, I’m so excited to see more and play the remake, now that I’ve rewatched those 2016 pachinko cutscenes.

Can we expect the same level of graphical fidelity?

Please Konami, don’t fuck this up; take note of Resident Evil 4 Remake.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I honestly think and expect that Konami will not do a lot more than a glorified Remaster, aka just revamp the graphics and leave everything more or less the same.

However, I’d love to see someone else talented take his chance on it with a different spin. Maybe ditch the overboarding ridiculous parts and the strange humour.

Knightime_X

I actually never got around to playing mgs3 despite having access to it, and owning it on Xbox 360.
Looking forward to this.

GooseMan69

Based on the screenshots, it’s gonna be the same game with redone cutscenes and a fresh coat of paint. Which is perfectly fine with me.

Anybody expecting it to get the Resident Evil 2 treatment will be sorely disappointed.

Apocryphon

You know it’s going to be Twin Snakes 2.0.

In an ideal world it would have a lot of Ground Zeroes DNA. I love the series but couldn’t get into The Phantom Pain with its huge locations and irritating additional gameplay systems. I want something simpler and more straight forward. Camera, movement, and combat mechanics from GZ, but otherwise keep everything else as close as possible to MGS3. Redesign areas and locations the way Capcom did with RE4R, and dial back how camp characters like Ocelot are.

Whatever happens, it isn’t going to please everybody, and it’s Konami, who haven’t made anything even remotely good in years. I’m not holding my breath for this to be anything other than a car crash.

Sleepwalker

Low but I want to fucking believe man

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Mr.Phoenix

I expect to be completely disappointed. I have no faith whatsoever in Konami doing this game any justice. Any excitement I had for this remaster was because I thought it was something Sony was somehow going to do. My interest and hope for this went away when I found out Konami was at the helm. And looking at that Vol. 1 thing only affirms my concerns.

HighPoly

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 3 is a masterpiece. It’s one of my favorite games ever.

I’m afraid that Konami might do a shitty job remaking the game. I was browsing YouTube and came across this comparison between the HD collection on PS360 and the updated visuals from the Pachinko.

OMG, I’m so excited to see more and play the remake, now that I’ve rewatched those 2016 pachinko cutscenes.

Can we expect the same level of graphical fidelity?

Please Konami, don’t fuck this up; take note of Resident Evil 4 Remake.

What I've seen by leaked photos from KONAMI, the game will be a little bit worse in graphics, than Pachinko
That's cause the final product of MGS3 is a real game, made for gameplays...
Pachinko runs as a real time engine, maybe FOX or Decima Engine, but running offline, the scenes were like CGi

Xylac

Neo Member
I expect that 1/3 of the game will be cut. Like chapter 3 in MGS V.

In the end i hope it will be almost as good as the original Snake Eater.

GreatnessRD

200.gif

I just don't fuckin' give me hope! I want this to be good so bad. My favorite all-time game. But with how games are made today, I have low expectations yet hoping for the best.

DON'T FUCK THIS UP, KONAMI!

As a straightforward graphical upgrade and modernisation, I think it will be at least interesting to play. I haven’t actually played Demon’s Souls on PS5 so I could be talking shit, but it looks like that kind of project to me. Or perhaps more fittingly, what Twin Snakes was to MGS1.

Given that the original voice acting is apparently completely unchanged and straight up used again word for word, I don’t expect any other interesting changes which is a shame after all this time. Honestly with the master collection I’m not really sure what the point is.

Keihart

if you look at the images in the official site, it seems like its going to be the same but with new assets. How good its going to look? idk, but the images look pretty alright, althought the tall grass looks already alarmingly shit
bg_ss_06.jpg

bg_ss_02.jpg

bg_ss_05.jpg
bg_ss_04.jpg
bg_ss_03.jpg

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Considering the franchise it is, one would assume we would get a remake treatment similar to what Capcom does with RE games.

But this is not Capcom, it's Konami, and looking at their recent track record, I have low expectation.

Last edited:

killatopak

Probably just improve the camo menu so I can easily change it. Make some presets for example that I can switch on the fly.

I’m not expecting much. Some people here are saying it’ll be disappointing if it’s only a graphical/control update and doesn’t touch anything story related. I’m of the opposite opinion. I would be ecstatic about a graphical remake with new control options a la Metroid Prime Remastered. I want the original vision with more detailed graphics, and the choice between classic and modern controls.

What we’ll likely get is a redone story that makes everything more “realistic” and bland while also censoring things for the California types.

Cyborg

Expectations are way too high so it will disappoint a lot of ''fans''. I have a feeling this will be over the top, not polished and lazy (like everything Konami does). I have zero faith that this will be able to have the same ''magic'' as the original.
It will be bouncing of the rockets all over again.

Killjoy-NL

If it's not MGS3 with the gameplay of MGSV, it's a pass.

Still, one of my top 3 GOAT, must-play for anyone.

Last edited:

TonyK

I hope I'm wrong but I expect a disaster. Showing the game with a CGi instead of real time is something that Kojima never would have done. So, if you start in that way, it only can go downhill.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Difficult to say, I could see Konami totally phoning it in, but also that they might put some effort in and try to reinvigorate the brand.

It depends on if you think Konami want MGS to be a going concern going forward, or if they want something to sell to a group of fans who are already interested based on the franchise alone. I'd be tempted to say the latter is most likely- that Konami know they'll sell to the faithful and will do a good enough job to make sure people could come along again for the next remake, but I don't expect this to be as well received as RE4's remake, which of course benefits from the brand being kept current in people's minds due to the continued releases. I'm not sure that Konami are likely to be aiming for the mainstream and what that would entail at this point in time.

Either way, I might pick it up if the buzz is good.

Last edited:
PC players haven't had the opportunity to sample this one and it's probably the best in the entire series, even better than the first game. Jungle environments and deep espionage behind enemy lines, all the while attempting to survive by living off the environment.

You can even eat a gharial crocodile!
compare1-1685064977927.jpg

Also, don't buy into the pessimistic asswipes in this thread who expect Bluepoint levels of perfection. MGS deserves better, but Konami will do alright in my opinion.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A completely soulless remake that takes away a lot of what made the original unique and interesting for standard, boring, 2023 play mechanics.

Brigandier

If it doesn't have crouch walking, control system of subsistence or even better TPP, easier more accessible camo system, larger jungle big open zone rather than small sections it's gonna get slaughtered.

I would like to see the cqc system from TPP implemented aswell.

Daft cutscenes like the Motorbike backflip or the Raiden lookalike commander costume have to go they're so fucking dumb, Even in 2004 they were pathetic.

If it's literally just a graphics upgrade I'm out before I was even in.

I'm very cautious right now of this project because even the reveal trailer looked and felt low budget and cheap.

Top Bottom