• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3 Snake Eater Remake: What are your expectations?

Fbh

Like others I don't expect much.
Basically the same game with a new coat of paint. No major gameplay improvements or revamped level design.

Bond007

Excited, but kinda meh on it also.
Would have preferred MGS1(Fav game of all time) first and in general- a ground up remake

Last edited:

Solidus_T

From what we know, it will be a faithful remake, down to the specific VA lines, which is everything I could ever want from a remake of the original. I do wish they would give MGS2 a full remake treatment, but they would screw that one up for sure. I don't even think Kojima himself would be able to touch the heights that one reached - hence a faithful remake for these games is good enough.

BossLackey

Gold Member
200.gif

I just don't fuckin' give me hope! I want this to be good so bad. My favorite all-time game. But with how games are made today, I have low expectations yet hoping for the best.

DON'T FUCK THIS UP, KONAMI!

My favorite game as well. I'm not even going to try to hope that it's what we deserve.

Roni

Gold Member
MGS deserves better, but Konami will do alright in my opinion.
That's a lot of faith in a company that fired the series' creator, affecting the state of the final canon installment, released a Silent Hill Collection that is laughable and is releasing a master collection of the games on PC that don't even have full Mouse & Keyboard support.

Last edited:
That's a lot of faith in a company that fired the series' creator, affecting the state of the final canon installment, released a Silent Hill Collection that is laughable and is releasing a master collection of the games on PC that don't even have full Mouse & Keyboard support.
MGSV was commercially and critically well recieved and why the hell are people still parading around the Silent Hill Collection like a badge of honour? Motherf***rs that was over a decade ago back in 2012, let it go for crying out loud. I will admit the keyboard and mouse support isn't acceptable, though it's unsuprising as Japanese developers have struggled with this in the past. Just look at what Tecmo did with the Ninja Gaiden Collection.

tommycronin

Banned
MGSV was commercially and critically well recieved and why the hell are people still parading around the Silent Hill Collection like a badge of honour? Motherf***rs that was over a decade ago back in 2012, let it go for crying out loud. I will admit the keyboard and mouse support isn't acceptable, though it's unsuprising as Japanese developers have struggled with this in the past. Just look at what Tecmo did with the Ninja Gaiden Collection.
Sounds like you're the one who's still angry moreso than I was 10 years ago.

Sounds like you're the one who's still angry moreso than I was 10 years ago.
I'm not angry, simply annoyed that people are still attempting to bring that in as a viable argument. Konami in 2012 and 2023 are different companies, I reckon they'd do alright on the whole.

Not sure what to expect to be honest.
The remaster is coming soon so what is the remake going to offer? Better graphics is nice sure. However if it's just a graphical update then it's not really a spectacular remake.

If I was in charge I would go in a slightly different direction with the remake. To have a different take on the mgs storyline starting with delta, and following with mgs1.

MiguelItUp

Not having any expectations whatsoever. I'd recommend reserving all your expectations, or at least trying to. I could be wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that this won't meet a lot of people's expectations.

Poordevil

None, the original game is the worst Metal Gear Solid.
That is how I felt about the game when I first played it years ago. I remember thinking I didn't like the menus, and other things about the gameplay in general. But I could tell it was a well developed game. The game ran well, great graphics and I liked the jungle environment. I had a sense that the game was a quality production. Before giving up on it I had an idea. I thought, instead of playing the game the way I think it should be played, I am going to make an effort to play this game the way it was designed to be played. To play it the way Kojima intended it to be played. I had to put on a different hat and adopt a different attitude. But I did and the game just blossomed into this fantastic gaming experience. And the game never fell flat. The more I played it the better it got, all the way to the end.

Arachnid

Just a new engine over the same skeleton.

That's the expectation they've set for it.
This is my expectation. Waste of a remake IMO. Especially when you have gold standard remakes like RE4 and Dead Space out there now.

If I want to play the exact same game I've been playing for almost two decades, I'll boot it up again. Do something to modernize it.

None, the original game is the worst Metal Gear Solid.
Agreed. Nice to see someone else with this opinion. There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Not that I don't still love it. I just prefer MGS1/2 from a story perspective and 4/5 from a gameplay perspective. MGS3 is a good middle of the road marrying both story and gameplay, but doesn't do either as well.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

MGSV was a Kojima Productions game. Konami get zero credit for its success outside of green lighting the project. The reality is that Konami without Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa is an entirely unknown prospect. They haven’t released anything interesting in years and we have no way of knowing what the MGS3 remake will be like. That’s why people’s expectations are set so low.

MGSV was a Kojima Productions game. Konami get zero credit for its success outside of green lighting the project. The reality is that Konami without Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa is an entirely unknown prospect. They haven’t released anything interesting in years and we have no way of knowing what the MGS3 remake will be like. That’s why people’s expectations are set so low.
Yeah I know it was Kojima’s own studio, but the arguments presented are about things from over a decade ago. They want to make money from this and judging from the amount of content and bonus material in this collection, it does look like things will be alright. They could have released all 3 games with minor tweaks, but we’re getting full shebang here!

NT80

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a masterpiece. It’s one of my favorite games ever.

I’m afraid that Konami might do a shitty job remaking the game. I was browsing YouTube and came across this comparison between the HD collection on PS360 and the updated visuals from the Pachinko.

OMG, I’m so excited to see more and play the remake, now that I’ve rewatched those 2016 pachinko cutscenes.

Can we expect the same level of graphical fidelity?

Please Konami, don’t fuck this up; take note of Resident Evil 4 Remake.

I remember seeing this vid a long time ago and hoping it could match up to that pachinko. Years later with more powerful consoles out now I would hope it could reach that quality in game. I don't think the game itself needs to change that much.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Ben87fr

Look if it was Capcom doing it i'd be okay with it, but it's konami so it's going to be 1. SHIT OR 2. Just the minimum, a graphic update, just wait and see what the mgs collection vol 1 will be like at least

Gojiira

Expectations? Exceptionally low.
Its already confirmed to be using tge original games maps/geometry so that literally means no new areas and none of the areas expanded. So this would suggest it wont have updated controls like TPP.
Honestly its hard to be hyped by a prettier albeit soulless ‘remake’.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m convinced it’ll be trash.

So they could easily impress me because my expectations are abysmal .

Top Bottom