• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS5: Can You Help Me Find Joy In this Arguably Marvelous Game

keraj37

I tried to pass the intro mission, for the second time, and I am stuck in it, since it is so boring and long.
The game asked me to create an avatar, but all I can see is the face of the Punished "Venom" Snake since ever.

It has 95 score on metacritic (XBOX) it needs to be great game, can you help me find what is precious in it?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
metal-gear-solid-v-metal-gear-solid.gif

nani17

are in a big trouble
I tried to pass the intro mission, for the second time, and I am stuck in it, since it is so boring and long.
The game asked me to create an avatar, but all I can see is the face of the Punished "Venom" Snake since ever.

It has 95 score on metacritic (XBOX) it needs to be great game, can you help me find what is precious in it?
As a big MGS fan its a pile of crap and massively overrated.

• Land in the helicopter over and over while intro credits tell you whos in the mission which completely spoils the game.(PC modders removed them)
  • Go to the same locations over and over. where the just added a few more NPC's. This was fine before but in option world it feels bad.
  • Removed the main voice actor for a guy who says F all
  • Added base building.....WHY?
  • Collect NPC's to protect your base again useless.
  • Has some of the worst boss fights in MGS history
  • Terrible missions like listen in on this guy or extract this person.

This is just some of the things that's wrong with the game. It should have never been open world. Out of all the games from MGS 1-5 this one is the worst of them all. Yes his movement is great compared to older games but the overall gameplay and story is a snoozefest

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

• Land in the helicopter over and over while intro credits tell you whos in the mission which completely spoils the game.(PC modders removed them)
  • Go to the same locations over and over. where the just added a few more NPC's. This was fine before but in option world it feels bad.

This is just some of the things that's wrong with the game. It should have never been open world. Out of all the games from MGS 1-5 this one is the worst of them all. Yes his movement is great compared to older games but the overall gameplay and story is a snoozefest
As a big MGS fan, you're full of shit

If you are really objective when looking at MGSV, you have to admit the game was an unfinished MESS.

Don't get me wrong, I still managed to enjoy it a lot, but the whole time with this nagging feeling of "something doesn't feel right; its missing many of the qualities that made MGS so good".

That's because it was literally unfinished. Sure, the core mechanics feel great but where's the game? Its missing story, dialog, cutscenes, and the missions themselves are relatively thin. Even the bases in Phantom Pain turned out to be much smaller than the template Kojima created in Ground Zeroes. Imagine if every mission had a base like that and was fleshed out with some quality story like Ground Zeroes!

I believe Kojima was going for that but clearly had to scrap a lot of the game. We know all about how Konami pulled the plug on him.

MiguelItUp

If you are really objective when looking at MGSV, you have to admit the game was an unfinished MESS.

Don't get me wrong, I still managed to enjoy it a lot, but the whole time with this nagging feeling of "something doesn't feel right; its missing many of the qualities that made MGS so good".

That's because it was literally unfinished. Sure, the core mechanics feel great but where's the game? Its missing story, dialog, cutscenes, and the missions themselves are relatively thin. Even the bases in Phantom Pain turned out to be much smaller than the template Kojima created in Ground Zeroes. Imagine if every mission had a base like that and was fleshed out with some quality story like Ground Zeroes!

I believe Kojima was going for that but clearly had to scrap a lot of the game. We know all about how Konami pulled the plug on him.
The core gameplay is actually VERY finished. It's the most finished part of the game IMO. Unfortunately, because of obvious reasons, the same can't be said about the story, especially towards the end game. But that's on Konami.

Last edited:

BryceNobody

As a big MGS fan, this post made me throw up in my mouth a little.

In regards to the topic: if the intro sequence isn’t grabbing you whatsoever… I guess don’t play it? The game opens up after the hospital escape, and even without having played the prior games it’s a really enjoyable experience. You’ll probably be a little more ‘engaged’ with the plot if you know what’s going on in regards to the characters/storyline overall, but it’s still just a really fun game on its own.

Last edited:
As a big MGS fan, you're full of shit
I like focused story, snake convos in the codecs, crazy unique boss fights etc

Mgs V doesnt have this. Its just better gameplay with more of a sandbox vibe.

Dont say you're an mgs fan and then omit that things like the codec convos for example, are missing. Thats a huge part of the charm abd storytelling You as a gamer should be mentioning this shit, its how we can decipher where they took short cuts.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I remember very little of this game. I know I got to a big robot boss that kicked my ass and I quit the game there. I did like the open world desert aesthetic though.

RaduN

The game should click a few hours into the desert mission. If not, then it's not for you and that's it.

Koppelthorn

Banned
Just get past the intro, it gets very fun from there and don't be afraid to explore all the tactical options you have at hand.

I'll just say, that out of all the MGS games in my opinion The MGSV Experience has the best story, and writing out of all nearly 7 mainline games, though it's story itself is widely misunderstood unfortunately, so you'll see a lot of conflicting information about it. Kojima has said on record that its a finished game, and if I remember correctly he even thanked Konami for allowing such creative freedom
"What I’m grateful Konami for is that when I proposed something I wanted to make, they let me make it...Conversely, I wasn’t bound by them saying, ‘You need to do it like this.’" <- under no legal obligation to say this

I think those who played PEACEWALKER will have a better chance at grasping the story with how subtly its told. Heres a hint, look closely:

0:44

Last edited:
I personally thought it was one of the most amazing things I'd played, warts and all. I thought the 2nd "chapter" or whatever it was, was clearly rushed/bodged together, but when I realised the gold dots were the actual missions, I carried on enjoying the missions.

Loved the locations, the UI, calling in choppers, attaching a fulton to a sheep, the surreal story. But... I never played the ones before it, so I didn't really go in with any expectations. I did play GZ before it, which I thought was incredible also.

The first mission kind of blows, it’s just something you have to get past. There is a real rhythm to the game once it gets rolling. I grew to love the base management portion of the game and it becomes a core part of the experience that helps break up the missions. It starts to become pretty tedious in the endgame, just quit when you stop having fun. That middle section though? Fucking god tier. The music that plays during mission prep time gets me hyyyyped. One tip I didn’t realize until the endgame when money starts to matter more, every piece of gear you bring on a mission costs money. Bring the minimum gear you require, it’s kind of like a difficulty system where the more fancy gear you bring you have more options but you get less rewards. Also if you really need something in the field just airdrop it.

Camreezie

Its crazy that its one of the only games in the series playable on modern consoles. V was good when you take into account the development history and what happened behind the scenes

Just get past the intro, it gets very fun from there and don't be afraid to explore all the tactical options you have at hand.

I'll just say, that out of all the MGS games in my opinion The MGSV Experience has the best story, and writing out of all nearly 7 mainline games, though it's story itself is widely misunderstood unfortunately, so you'll see a lot of conflicting information about it. Kojima has said on record that its a finished game, and if I remember correctly he even thanked Konami for allowing such creative freedom
"What I’m grateful Konami for is that when I proposed something I wanted to make, they let me make it...Conversely, I wasn’t bound by them saying, ‘You need to do it like this.’" <- under no legal obligation to say this

I think those who played PEACEWALKER will have a better chance at grasping the story with how subtly its told. Heres a hint, look closely:

0:44

Interesting take, I never played peace walker and so I felt like mgs5 more or less had no story. I may replay the games soon and Ill be sure to play peacewalker. Is there another besides peace walker I should play outside of the mainline entries?

EDMIX

Gameplay.... MGS5 easily the worst, damn near non-existent story in the MGS universe, but its gameplay is peak MGS. Its simply just about the stealth and how you approach an objective. You can wait till night were there is less visibility, less guards, knock out the power and clean house how you feel just.

The ability to play this way opens up so many crazy situations where you can call in air support for an LZ drop to save someone or go in lone wolf style.

It isn't the best story, but by far its the best gameplay.

Guilty_AI

I like focused story, snake convos in the codecs, crazy unique boss fights etc

Mgs V doesnt have this. Its just better gameplay with more of a sandbox vibe.

Dont say you're an mgs fan and then omit that things like the codec convos for example, are missing. Thats a huge part of the charm abd storytelling You as a gamer should be mentioning this shit, its how we can decipher where they took short cuts.
Game has great boss foghts, not the best in the series but still great. The Man on fire is easily among the top MGS fights.

And it replaces codec conversations with tapes which is a waaaay better approach in my opinion, makes the pacing so much better and doesn't create scenarios where you have minutes long conversation in the middle of firefights, nor risks you losing any plot points cause you didn't trigger the conversation at the right time

Last edited:
If you don't like the intro mission, you wont like the rest for sure. The intro is literally the only type of mission most similar to older MGS games. The rest is a sandbox collection with actual story based videos popping up after every 10 or so missions.

Game has great boss foghts, not the best in the series but still great. The Man on fire is easily among the top MGS fights.

And it replaces codec conversations with tapes which is a waaaay better approach in my opinion, makes the pacing so much better and doesn't create scenarios where you have minutes long conversation in the middle of firefights, nor risks you losing any plot points cause you didn't trigger the conversation at the right time

The tapes didn't replace the codex. They replaced cutscenes which are highly lacking. Also, did you forget there were tapes 7-8 minutes later long? Sure you can listen on the go but you can also get i to a firefight and it messes up the flow. The cassettes were literally the worst thing that happened to MGS.

Top Bottom