• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS5: Can You Help Me Find Joy In this Arguably Marvelous Game

TrueLegend

It's a masterpiece through and through. The best stealth gameplay ever and it plays like butter.... has aged like wine and looks dead gorgeous on 4K60 ultra but looks great on PS4 pro and PS5 too. It's just tour de force in terms of gameplay freedom..... you can do so much in this game, the AI is the truly next gen AI especially on PC with mods it's light years ahead of any game's AI. Even with 95 metacritic it's highly underrated. The gameplay is so good they could throw music story, Cutscenes off the cliff and it still will be masterpiece but only a fool will play Kojima game and complain it lacks music and cutscenes. It's a great game but it's like an unfinished masterpiece that a great writer was writing and died along the way which has happened way often then you might think. Still it has way more quality content then even the most modern releases.... I love both from soft games and MGS and MGSV is the best open world game period on par with elden ring.

Roni

Gold Member
Nah, real time convos were still a cooler more unique method of storytelling than "tapes". Also gave you a chance to connect with the characters and make them feel like they are "there". Which transcends it just feeling like some video game sometimes.

And even then, the game was immersive enough in snake eater for example to KNOW that you were in the middle of a boss fight. So they'd talk about that, however in the forest during quieter moments, or if uou are undetected, you could have a convo about films with one character, or lore with another. THATS what great games do.

None of this streamlined, we dont care about story anymore, frat boy casual, ADD shit that most "gamers" want today.

If you cant acknowledge that snake barely even talking, is a huge slap in the face of what MGS is. Then you arent really a fab, you just buy whatever based on name alone

Dont forgrt what great games did. Keep that bar and standard, dont lower it for the times. You'll make gaming worse for the rest of us.
Lol, it's more like your opinion is holding gaming back, not his. We're still stuck playing 2005 games because of shit takes like these...

Lol, it's more like your opinion is holding gaming back, not his. We're still stuck playing 2005 games because of shit takes like these...
What? So more writing and effort is a holding gaming back? Are you slow?

Mgs5 snake didnt even talk, the soul of the game isnt there, i dont mind mechanixs improving, but you dont give a fuck about the intangibles. Or you're too creatively illiterate to understand why that mattered. Just because a feature was in an older game, doesnt mean its outdated conceptually.

Thats like saying the quests in oblivion, that were hand written and creative, are an outdated concept and im "holding back gaming" if I say that skyrim procedural generated quests are a step back.

Im sorry that your brain so simple, that it just interprets 'newer' as an always continuous progression.

You dont even respect the franchise enough to know where it was lacking in its intangibles. Are you 20 years old or something?

Last edited:
I can like both lol.

Besides, i'd rather see devs trying different approachs than just making the same game over and over. Every new entry they'd try and do something with the game to make it feel fresh and new, even the story was made in a way you didn't need to have seem the previous games (except MGS4, which is the actual worst MGS game)
Kojima himself even mentioned how this from a storytelling standpoint isn't really his work.

The creator doesnt even like it. Theres a difference between trying something new, and taking steps back in areas that had more detail.

Guilty_AI

Kojima himself even mentioned how this from a storytelling standpoint isn't really his work.

The creator doesnt even like it. Theres a difference between trying something new, and taking steps back in areas that had more detail.
Kojima storytelling is utter shit 90% of the time, the aspects he always excelled on were direction and game design. Especially when it comes to marrying story with gameplay, a concept you seem to have absolutely no notion of.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It has 95 score on metacritic (XBOX) it needs to be great game, can you help me find what is precious in it?

No, a 95 score doesn’t mean it needs to be a great game. Metacritic is great for having fun on message boards but its not an actual measurement of a game’s quality. Having fun with a videogame is one of the most subjective things ever.

Kojima storytelling is utter shit 90% of the time, the aspects he always excelled on were direction and game design. Especially when it comes to marrying story with gameplay, a concept you seem to have absolutely no notion of.

Right, storytelling, pacing, writing, go hand in hand.

Just admit you didnt really like mgs games in the first place. You just want a blank slate where you can run around and do americanized fuck shit lol

I just told you the creator didnt even like it, instead of that being a realization for you, that you are essentially a consumer who doesnt respect artistic vision; you instead chose to shit on him also lol

All because you love the most souless, westernized, mgs game in the franchise.

Are you like 21 or something and thats the most recent mgs you can remember?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Right, storytelling, pacing, writing, go hand in hand.
See? Completely clueless.

Just admit you didnt really like mgs games in the first place. You just want a blank slate where you can run around and do americanized fuck shit lol
Sure, i'll go tell my past self, excitedly staring at the screen, playing older MGS games for hours on end one after the other, all the way to the early morning: "No, young one, you aren't really liking these games".

I just told you the creator didnt even like it, instead of that being a realization for you, that you are essentially a consumer who doesnt respect artistic vision; you instead chose to shit on him also lol
I didn't shit on him, i pointed out where his strenghts and weakness lie. I'm no fool to blindly consider him some perfect game maker that can do no wrong.

All because you love the most souless, westernized, mgs game in the franchise.

Are you like 21 or something and thats the most recent mgs you can remember?
Whats up with you and trying to imply on other peoples age? Projection maybe?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
What? So more writing and effort is a holding gaming back? Are you slow?

Mgs5 snake didnt even talk, the soul of the game isnt there, i dont mind mechanixs improving, but you dont give a fuck about the intangibles. Or you're too creatively illiterate to understand why that mattered. Just because a feature was in an older game, doesnt mean its outdated conceptually.

Thats like saying the quests in oblivion, that were hand written and creative, are an outdated concept and im "holding back gaming" if I say that skyrim procedural generated quests are a step back.

Im sorry that your brain so simple, that it just interprets 'newer' as an always continuous progression.

You dont even respect the franchise enough to know where it was lacking in its intangibles. Are you 20 years old or something?
That's a half 'n half of ad hominem and I liked the old stuff better. Yikes...

Last edited:
I love the mgs games but mgs5 is the weakest. Sure best graphics and technically the best gameplay but there is so much mgs-ness removed it's no longer mgs.
It's the worst "mgs" but it's actually the best game because it has the best gameplay. Story is still absurd and mostly useless as in all mgs games. It's really sad that Kojima spends so much energy on 'stories' and cutscenes because as a 'movie' alone this would not even deserve a 5/10 imdb rating. Compared to high quality movies then what he produces is shit and has being done better since decades ago.

Last edited:

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
What happens here is that MGS has always been a series of games with a linear narrative structure, with a closed level design and where the focus of the most important and memorable events were their final bosses and the cinematics.

MGSV is open world and offers a freedom of gameplay unprecedented in the saga, so the priority and the main point of the game is that now it is up to you to create memorable moments, with the tools, the enemy AI and the space of the game, the possibilities are infinitely greater than in previous games and the other problem is that the game has a story format that people don't understand because nobody cares about the military-historical context of Afghanistan or Angola in the 80s...

keraj37

Thank you guys for help, so I listened and tried this game one more time.

But I had to dump it for good this time...

Since it has no way to adjust audio!

I am serious, and default volume is incredibly loud, so I would need to adjust all my speakers (I have 3 sets) just for this game, but I usually play sports games, and that was just a jump into the uncharted gaming territory.

I tried to play it on XSX so windows tricks do not work for me.
Shame as this game looks like a gem from what you all say.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Just because a game scores high doesn’t mean you will enjoy it. If you have to ask for help to like it, or force yourself to like it, then you probably just don’t like it…and that’s okay. Be you!

Moses85

Mike Myers No GIF

Don't waste your time on it. I tried multiple times to get into it. Played Ground Zero or whatever the hell it's called and that seemed fun but playing the full game itself was a bore. Only was interested in it because of that Quiet character who is hot lol.

Kojima games are overrated trash. They do seem interesting at first but the guy is stuck so far up his own arse and i just find them so dull and tedious to play.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Easily the best of KOJIMA's work. I remember watching videos of it pre-release and thinking "No way are they going to pull this off." And - other than the dog shit story that publishers allow because HK knows how to make video games, if not movies - they absolutely did.

That said - the intro is fucking brutal and if you are playing on PC just find a save that kicks you out at the end. It is first class HK pap.

It's a fun game to play and it's easy to kill time with it, but the story is ass cheeks.

So a KOJIMA PRODUCTION.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
After 4 great games I coudnt play this mess ... was time to let Metal Gear go for me ... open world is killing my enjoyment in gaming one game at a time.

Lambogenie

Play Ground Zero, read a short plot summary of TPP. Unless you like the (solid) gameplay in a truly boring, repetitive world. GZ was brilliant.

AJUMP23

Game is good. You get a sandbox of ways to steal or kill enemies. Also get great mission support people. But Quiet is the best partner.

It is unfinished but what's there is pure gameplay joy. I have like 250 hours and was completely addicted to it for a while. Invading others' bases rules. Also when does fulton-ing shit ever get old.

Don't forget to command your horse to shit in the street and watch people knock themselves out when slipping on it.

Top Bottom