• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jackson appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This is not a thread about the current shit Mike is going through, or about how much of a freak he is. We all know the guy has lost his mind and is a wierdo.

This is about his MUSIC. And how good his erlier stuff was.

The only album I have actually bought of his is Thriller. But I have heard Off the Wall. I wouldn't say OtW is better, but it comes pretty damn close. Tracks like Don't Stop and Off the Wall have that cool, almost 70s-ish disco flavor to them and have awesome melodies. Then there's Rock with You, an all out classic that will have you bobbing your head and make you wanna get up and dance.

But don't get it twisted, Thriller is a masterpiece! With my favorite song being Human Nature. Billy Jean is a close second simply cuz I was transfixed by how fucking cool the video was. The BJ video just oozes with style and coolness! I wanted that exact same suit he wore with the shoes and the glowing socks. He was a straight pimp in that video! Beat it is OK but I never really warmed up to the song. It was a little too rocky for my taste. And of course we all know the Thriller video is nothing short of perfection.

I also watched Moonwalker again after not having watched it for a couple years. Damn I love that flick. A collection of the best videos from his Bad era. Speed Demon is probably my favorite video. It's so innovative and at the end when he's dancing with Bugs Bunny and then Bugs does like a hundred thousand spins and thinks he topped Mike. Then Mike goes overboard and does like a zillion spins at lightning speed as bugs looks on in disbelief. That shit was the bomb when I fist saw it.

My second favorite video is the "Annie are you Walking" video with him in the pool parlor dancing with the gansters. Damn he had some slick moves in that vid!

Anyway what is/was your favorite MJ record and song? Or are you "too cool" to acknowledge how badass Mike was back in the day?

nomoment

isamu said:
My second favorite video is the "Annie are you Walking" video with him in the pool parlor dancing with the gansters. Damn he had some slick moves in that vid!
I think you mean Smooth Criminal.

Anyways, MJ rocks. Doesn't anybody remember when music used to be about THE MUSIC?

Leon

MJ defined me through a large period of my childhood. His stuff is so fucking brilliant it's scary. Everything from Thriller to Dangerous to Blood on the dancefloor. What he has accomplished has never and never will be diminished in my eyes.

I can't pick a song. There's just way too many.

PS : This thread made me realize that an MJ appreciation thread is so damn refreshing and overdue these days.

belgurdo

Banned
He's an awesome musician, but he should have kicked that Neverland/mask or costume in public/hiding the mother and kids shit to the curb, especially when it started cutting into his sales

I'm proud to have some of his albums on my Xbox though

cvxfreak

Practically every major song Michael Jackson does has a fanbase. He's so talented and knows just how to leave a lasting impression.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like me some Michael Jackson music.

I actually like some of The Jackons stuff too.

CAN YOU FEEL IT!!!!!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
nomoment said:
Anyways, MJ rocks. Doesn't anybody remember when music used to be about THE MUSIC?
Unfortunately, I was born after MTV came around...

Gotta love Michael Jackson's music though. I had "Beat It" and "Billy Jean" stuck in my head for the entirety of last week at work, and I didn't mind at all.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Pattergen said:
DOUBLE THANKS GAF.

You're welcome :)

And"Can you feel it" ROCKS!. What's the name of the album it's on? I wanna get it.

Loki

Count of Concision
Mugen said:
Human Nature > any MJ song. ^_^

I love that song; I'm surprised to see it has so many fans, considering that most people I mention it to haven't the foggiest notion of what it sounds like. :p

Yeah, MJ's stuff was incredible-- so many excellent songs:

Beat It
Thriller (the video is the best video ever, til this day)
Smooth Criminal
Billy Jean
You Just Wanna Be Startin Something (LOVE the semi-frantic beat on this)
Man in the Mirror (one of the most inspirational songs EVER)
You Are Not Alone (in the same vein sound-wise as the above, but lesser known; excellent tune)
Rock With You
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
ABC (Jackson 5)
I'll Be There (Jackson 5)
Liberian Girl
Human Nature
Dirty Diana
In The Closet (portentous? ;))
Remember The Time
Black or White
Heal the World

Awesome, awesome stuff. :)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
human nature is pure gold.

id' never actually listened to it until that girl group SWV used a sample from it in their song in the early 90s ;p

'who is it 'from dangerous and 'get on the floor' from off the wall are also awesomely fantastical.

Rlan

I've always liked Black and White the best, just how it jumps right into the wong with little riff.

Badeowndedo BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOW.

evil ways

I used to like Michael Jackson, until he made Bad, which was Bad. Everything after that was crap, especially all that Free Willy related stuff and everything after it.

isamu

shuri said:
MJ would still be one of my fav musician if it wasnt for his freaky adventures.

You don't think you could appreciate his music for well, his music? And look past all the freaky wierdo shit?

I mean, I'm far from being gay, and I realize The Pet Shop Boys are gay, but that hasn't stopped them from being one of my favorite bands of all time. Same with Morrissey and Soft Cell. It should be only be all about the music and nothing else.

Prospero

Off the Wall and Thriller are excellent (and I was just listening to Thriller a couple of days ago). Bad is actually underrated--there are a couple of treacly ballads on there, but the licks in "Smooth Criminal" and "Another Part of Me" make up for those singlehandedly. Plus you have to love the Martin Scorsese-directed video for "Bad."

I love MJ to death.

I want Liberian Girl played at my wedding in the future, its the most fucking beautiful music video i have ever seen.

Michael Jackson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other musician, i don't care who he owns them all from beatles to Elvis.

Michael Jackson is MUSIC

Cherubae

MJ's "HIStory" disc 2 is very... angry. Little Susie is just a creapy song.

I know artists like to add their own emotions to their music, but a lot of HIStory songs were just too much for me. I prefer his happier songs, not songs about dead little girls and excuses why his lack of a childhood justifies his personal behavoir.

Google says "Can you feel it" is on the Jackson 5 Triumph album. Now I'll have to go home and listen to Off The Wall... mmm....

isamu

Cherubae said:
MJ's "HIStory" disc 2 is very... angry. Little Susie is just a creapy song.

I know artists like to add their own emotions to their music, but a lot of HIStory songs were just too much for me. I prefer his happier songs, not songs about dead little girls and excuses why his lack of a childhood justifies his personal behavoir.

wow they're that heavy?

if there are any emcees and/or djs on this forum (and i know there's one or two, am i rite!), let me assure you: getting two copies of "Thriller" and getting busy over the instrumental break in "Human Nature" will rock ANY party, no matter what. ANY PARTY! a klan party! any party!

But, yeah, other than that, otw >>>>>>> anything else MJ has done (wasn't 'remember the time' kinda fly though, in a new jack swing kinda fashion? and the pharcyde were dancers in that video, I swear to god!)

amrum

music4.gif

So tonight gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf
And just enjoy yourself
Groove, let the madness in the music get to you
Life ain't so bad at all
If you live it off the wall
Life ain't so bad at all (live life off the wall)
Live your life off the wall (live it off the wall)

xdanse.gif

evil ways said:
I used to like Michael Jackson, until he made Bad, which was Bad. Everything after that was crap, especially all that Free Willy related stuff and everything after it.

I loved bad, i didnt like the stuff after that though

Brannon

An MJ thread not about the touching but about the aural delights?

Then I cast my vote for Billie Jean and Thriller, woot baby, woot.

isamu said:
You don't think you could appreciate his music for well, his music? And look past all the freaky wierdo shit?

I mean, I'm far from being gay, and I realize The Pet Shop Boys are gay, but that hasn't stopped them from being one of my favorite bands of all time. Same with Morrissey and Soft Cell. It should be only be all about the music and nothing else.

Having sex with someone of the same sex, but in the same age range is one thing, but with minors is a totally different situation.

I agree with the original post; I'd be more into the guy if not for the whole sleeping with little kids thing. It's really sad, cuz the man is truely gifted, and his woes are now starting to affect his work (I think HIStory was already mentioned).

Cherubae

isamu said:
wow they're that heavy?

Yes, and I haven't picked up another MJ album release since HIStory. He seriously changed after his first court situation. He even added a song about the D.A. that tried to procecute him last time onto disc2. There's only 6 songs on it that I actually like (Scream, They don't care about us, Come together, You are not alone, 2Bad, HIStory, and Smile). The remaining ones are kinda depressing. 2Bad and Don't Care are backlash "I hate you all" songs, but they have a nice beat.

Disc1 of HIStory was just a compliation cd with his older music on it. Very yummy :) I'd recommend HIStory just for disc1.

Leon

Cherubae said:
There's only 6 songs on it that I actually like (Scream, They don't care about us, Come together, You are not alone, 2Bad, HIStory, and Smile).

You made 2 mistakes. First, You listed 7 songs. Second, I'm sure the omission of Stranger in Moscow, This Time Around and Tabloid Junkie are involuntary. :p

Cherubae

You're right, I did list 7 :) My bad

I do not enjoy those last 3 songs though, that's why I didn't list them :p Stranger in Moscow puts me to sleep, and Tabloid Junkie is just a rehash of Bad's Leave Me Alone. There's just something about This Time Around that I don't like; I don't think I can explain it too clearly. Perhaps I'm not confortable with hearing MJ utter the words-of-curse.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Thiller > Off the Wall

one reason: PYT

i actually like dangerous more than thriller and off the wall

*runs away*

who is it, give into me, in the closet, remember the time...

oh and i have all the solo albums except #1's

isamu

Blackace said:
Thiller > Off the Wall

careful...PYT may have been a premonition of what was to come....

"I want to love you (P.Y.T.) Pretty Young Thang.
You need some lovin, (T.L.C.) Tender Lovin Care
And I'll take you there...."

ph34r.gif

ph34r.gif

ph34r.gif

isamu

anyone watching the special on VH1 special? Damn that guy is a freakin carbon copy of Mike!

I always watched replays of the concert that would often be shown on VH1 a long time ago. In it he's wearing a gold jumpsuit and it's during the Black and White days. At any rate, what an amazing performance. Smooth Criminal, Man in the Mirror, the small Jackson Five remix. One of the greatest performers of all time. Heck I still get a thrill when I see him do the moonwalk during Billy Jean. I love a lot of his music.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Thiller > Off the Wall

careful...PYT may have been a premonition of what was to come....

"I want to love you (P.Y.T.) Pretty Young Thang.
You need some lovin, (T.L.C.) Tender Lovin Care
And I'll take you there...."<<<

The Thriller sessions ARE where he started showing signs of being a freak in his music, but I think the best example is a bonus outtake on the Thriller special edition called Carousel.

Actually the lyric is "Annie are you okay." But I'm just nitpicking. ;)

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of MJ's music. I own every one of his solo albums (except Number Ones,I refuse to buy it) and many of The Jacksons albums.

If you're a big MJ fan and like a little bit of 70s music, you definitely should check out some of The Jacksons albums from the mid-late 70s. You can hear Michael starting to experiment with different sounds after they left Motown. Some of my favorite Jacksons songs are "Show you the way to go", "Strength of One Man", "Blame it on the Boogie", "Shake your Body", "Can you feel it" and "Your Ways".

While I still like some of MJ's newer stuff, I agree that his music has gotten more angry and bitter since his legal troubles. On History, I really like Stranger in Moscow, Money, and Earth Song (excellent music video btw), but there are a lot of songs that I just press the "next track" button. Whereas the earlier MJ albums, I could play straight all the way through.

Still, I thought Invincible was a good step up from History. Invincible has some really great songs, but I think MJ's public image just went so far off the deep end, many people weren't paying attention to his music anymore. Also, after the album was released, the promotion seemed to be pretty weak. I can only recall one music video off the Invincible album. Usually MJ has about 5-7 videos per album.

Anyway, I'll always be a fan of his music. It's just a shame he allowed himself to get so far out of touch with reality. Honestly believe he would still be topping the charts like his sister Janet if he didn't have massive plastic surgery and there were no child molestation allegations.

What's really sad is that a lot of young people (10- 16 year olds) don't realize how bad-ass Michael Jackson was. They just see this weirdo and have a hard time appreciating his music. What a shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom