• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jackson's Thriller and Beat It music videos in 4K

VulcanRaven

Thriller turns 40 this month so they have updated some videos to 4K. They have been scanned from the original camera negative and they look amazing. Especially Thriller. I hope this means that they are planning to release all the videos on Blu-Ray at some point. Thriller hasn't been updated to 4K on Youtube yet but here is Beat It:

Edit: Thriller:

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Thanks for the Beat It 4k video VulcanRaven VulcanRaven

Do you or anyone else have the Thriller 4k video? I can't find it and I'm not paying for it as it's going to be free anyways(just got released early by accident)

Cheers!

giphy.gif

GeekyDad

The instrumentation has not aged well, but good lord, Michael's voice is still so full of inspiration and spirit. And of course, Eddie's guitar solo is still a nice touch of nostalgia.

nkarafo

Probably The most talented individual ever lived.

The dude was one of the best songwriters, one of the best singers and possibly the best dancer in the industry. He would still be successful if he only had to do one of those things. How many other performers were iconic in all three departments?

I bet, if Earth needed a few more hours to complete a full circle around the Sun, he would have enough time to also be one of the best *insert instrument here* players on top as well.

And i'm not even the biggest MJ fan.

GeekyDad

How did I miss the dude from New York Undercover and Stoney Jackson both in the Beat It video?!?!

SyZ44vn.jpg
tvVW7Jh.jpg
Yeah, I think the top dude was already kinda known for doing a high-school drama series that had to do with kids living in a tough neighborhood where they were learning to dance and/or sing. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but my Mom and sister used to watch it religiously. It'll come to me...

ShadowNate

How does updating these videos work on YouTube? It still says that the video (Beat it) was uploaded 11 years ago.
Is there no notification or indication that it was updated with a high(er) resolution support just now? It seems odd to me.

fatmarco

How does updating these videos work on YouTube? It still says that the video (Beat it) was uploaded 11 years ago.
Is there no notification or indication that it was updated with a high(er) resolution support just now? It seems odd to me.
Yeah Thriller is still showing as the old 480p version for me?

VulcanRaven

We also need Moonwalker in 4K. The normal Blu-Ray looks great already but I think they scanned it in 4K.

I think they can just update the video without losing the old views. There is no notification.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Vevo's have the option to swap out the videos pending review, so in these cases they'll upload the higher res versions and someone from YouTube will watch both videos and verify that the new one is the same video just in better quality.

Aesius

The dude was one of the best songwriters, one of the best singers and possibly the best dancer in the industry. He would still be successful if he only had to do one of those things. How many other performers were iconic in all three departments?

I bet, if Earth needed a few more hours to complete a full circle around the Sun, he would have enough time to also be one of the best *insert instrument here* players on top as well.

Gotta give credit to Prince as well. Prince wasn't the dancer that MJ is but he made up for it by being, quite literally, a musical genius. He could play every instrument at a ridiculously high level.

Prince was also a more prolific songwriter. He wrote all of his own hits while MJ only wrote some of his.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, I think the top dude was already kinda known for doing a high-school drama series that had to do with kids living in a tough neighborhood where they were learning to dance and/or sing. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but my Mom and sister used to watch it religiously. It'll come to me...

Fame? It was also a TV show for a while. Janet Jackson was in it.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Gotta give credit to Prince as well. Prince wasn't the dancer that MJ is but he made up for it by being, quite literally, a musical genius. He could play every instrument at a ridiculously high level.

Prince was also a more prolific songwriter. He wrote all of his own hits while MJ only wrote some of his.
He didn't have a voice like MJ's tho. And those adlibs at the end of all his songs were next level.

I love MJ videos where people look like they are gonna kill each other but end up doing a fkn stylish choreography.
That's pop music videos from the 80's and some from the 90's as well.

No matter what's happening there's always time for those dance moves.

About the remaster, it's really well done. So many stars are doing those fake AI remasters to 4k and it hurts my eyes to watch them. Glad his state / team is doing this right.

SpiceRacz

Prince was probably 10x the talent MJ was. He was proficient with dozens of instruments. He had incredible vocal range. He wrote and composed all of his own music. Wrote hits for other artists. He could dance his ass off too. Prince was leaping off giant amps and doing the splits and all sorts of crazy shit on stage. I think his catalogue of music is stronger than MJ's too. I'll take Sign O The Times over Thriller any day.

I hate Prince and MJ comparisons, they are my faves. After awhile you stop comparing and realize that they both knew each other were special and both have their categories.

One thing MJ has over all artists is he managed to make the best music video, then he did it again and again. The only person I ever seen that I think would have challenged MJ on the video front, is not anyone that would probably come to many peoples minds, like to me Beyonce doesn't have a single video that challenges MJ. But Missy Elliot. If Missy had more output she would challenge MJ, she does atleast have some great videos.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I hate Prince and MJ comparisons, they are my faves. After awhile you stop comparing and realize that they both knew each other were special and both have their categories.

One thing MJ has over all artists is he managed to make the best music video, then he did it again and again. The only person I ever seen that I think would have challenged MJ on the video front, is not anyone that would probably come to many peoples minds, like to me Beyonce doesn't have a single video that challenges MJ. But Missy Elliot. If Missy had more output she would challenge MJ, she does atleast have some great videos.

Agreed on EVERY point!

Top Bottom