• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

HAYA8U5A

Going Crazy Mel Brooks GIF

yurinka

As always we have to think that what will happen is the total opposite of what he says: in this case Sony will continue as the console market leader in all areas and will be stronger than ever, specially in game subscriptions.

And the MS strategy of focusing too much on Gamepass putting all their games there day one on console and pc will highly affect MS to the point it will decrease their hardware and software market share to a point that maybe we don't see a next gen Xbox console.

Yes, I think it may be possible.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He really, really has to be trolling saying such silly stuff.

The big laugh is this magic "in 10 years" idea. Does Pachter understand that average product development cycles these days are 3-5 years. So this transformation is supposedly going to happen within 2 to 3 title launches. Any one of which can still under-perform or even flop derailing the momentum.

These businesses are oil tankers not rocket-ships.

Allandor

Remember that time he claimed the Wii would flop and Nintendo would pull out of the console business?

His opinion isn't worth the crust on my underwear.
But hey, he was almost right. The Wii flopped a few million times (well about 101 million times) ;)

Well the wii was a great success for Nintendo, but really a flop for 3rd parties.

I always find it interesting what Pachter has to say about gaming business, but most of the time he just guesses. And I really don't see any competition between Sony and MS anymore. They both coexist and both have their own healthy eco system and I guess, that this will stay for a few generations at least as people are now service-bound to them.
For Nintendo on the other hand it might still be a hit or miss thing. N64 flopped, Wii was successful (expect for the 3rd party developers), WiiU has flopped, Switch is really successful but they really fall behind on the services front. And this is where you can bind people on your products for a long time.

rolandss

People have been predicting Sony’s exit from gaming since the PS3.

Sure It’ll be tougher than it’s ever been for Sony to compete with MS this gen based on its studio acquisitions but disappearing? On the eve of launch their own sub service? At the end of the day MS spent $77 billion to acquire a three major IPs: CoD, Elder Scrolls and Fallout. The rest are nice to have but won’t turn the tables. People acting like Sony suddenly had no bullets in the barrel is just gonna shrivel up and die.

Boss Mog

He's still at it with the "in ten to fifteen years there won't be any consoles anymore", He's been saying that for nearly 20 years and they're still here.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Most of my friends who play games, doesn't even know what GamePass is.. They've never played Halo, Gears or Forza. They play FIFA, CoD, Ubisoft games and PlayStation exclusives from time to time.

If GamePass is gonna kill PlayStation - Xbox need to make some more noise - cause buying up industry talent isn't enough.

Swift_Star

Banned
Sure, just like Nintendo is also being destroyed by it. At this point, I don’t think people are really being convinced by GP. The biggest 3rd party games are not going there until much later after release. What an stupid prediction.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I honestly thought he sounded drunk and mildly sarcastic when he said this, almost as if he's trolling Dealer and his crew telling them what they want to hear :messenger_beaming:

This suggests Sony will just be sitting around doing nothing, which I doubt is going to be the case. He may be partially correct, in that Playstation may not exist as it does now in 10 years because the industry won't exist as it does now in 10 years, if we assume games will become largely hardware agnostic and it is all about services. There is room for multiple services and I can see no reason why a Playstation one can't compete with a Microsoft one, unless he knows something we don't. By almost every metric Playstation is more successful now, and is well placed to pivot should they wish, the service side of the industry has hardly even started so it is strange to call it an 'insurmountable lead'.

Boss Mog

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter doesn’t seem to think so- speaking exclusively to GamingBolt, Pachter said that the game’s innate ‘Japanese-ness’ will hold it back from broad commercial appeal, at least in terms of selling systems.
Yes, because no non-Japanese kids growing up ever thought samurai and ninjas were cool so obviously a videogame based on such characters would flop outside of Japan. :pie_eyeroll:

I always wonder how a guy like that has managed to keep his job for so many years of erroneous predictions and predictions are his job basically.

winjer

Gold Member
This man speaks with conviction and authority. So he might convince some people that he knows what he is talking about.
But every one that knows about his track record, will just laugh at most of what he says.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i do think Sony are behind and at less of an advantage when it comes to gamepass. No doubt they are working on their own service to try compete with Microsoft but I can't see them matching it. So I kinda agree with what he says there but lol the guy is a moron and talking shit. Sony will be just fine.

Last edited:
PS3-era would be the last generation of consoles…ever

This is an all-time classic Pachter misfire from 2009. Here, the Wedbush Morgan mouthpiece suggested that the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 era of consoles would be the last of their kind, proclaiming it the "last generation of consoles.” This was obviously completely untrue, with Nintendo rolling out the Wii U three years later, followed by successor to the PS3 and Xbox 360 in November 2013. Not only that, but Sony also released an upgraded version of the PS4 last year with PS4 Pro, and Microsoft has its own mid-cycle refresh in the pipeline in the shape of the Xbox Scorpio.

Honey Bunny

I was just watching an old giantbomb tnt with michael pachter where they played duke nukem 3d and were talking about duke nukem forever's impending release.

Pachter said, paraphrasing 'look, DNF is never going to beat Call of Duty, but it could do Halo numbers'.

Deerock71

Remember when Phil Spencer not-so-subtly told Sony and Nintendo to stay in their lanes? It seems like Sony didn't get the message, while Nintendo was off chasing butterflies at the time. I'm firmly in the camp that believes Sony should not try to get into a financial shootout with Microsoft; if Pachter's here with me, these are indeed strange times.

Top Bottom