• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter - Gamepass will destroy Sony. Sony will cease to exist.

SJRB

Gold Member
ZsjBl1C.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Imagine when gamepass is on PlayStation and actually only really succeds because its on all platforms.....

That's not what needs to happen, they just need a similar product at a similar price.
They have the games to compete.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Things changed.
old IP may sell today but it may not sell in the future.

He is assuming Activisiton IP is going to boost gamepass subscription count i assume? seems like a big assumption to me.

And if im not mistaken, isnt PS Plus has reached almost 50m subscribers? i doubt Sony is afraid tbh, and spartacus is coming soon. I mean...Sony is not going to stop there either.

Furthermore even Sony unable to afford big publishers, they still can buy smaller studios in bulk to make up for it, nothing special here.

Im more interested in games like SIFU, Kena than Activision "IPs".

Last edited:
How many times has patcher been wrong? If patcher and his sony predictions were JoJo series, are we on the Golden Wind saga or the Steel Ball Run?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I and you might not Rate him, but when outlets want to know what's happening in the industry they arnt contacting us for comment, they contact him. Alot of companies actually employ him for his advice about the industry.
We may think its taking money under false presences, but unfortunately others don't.

This dude reminds me of that guy in Off Topic that suddenly had a schizophrenic episode about non Newtonian bullshit and capitalized every word in his sentences. Don't know why, but super same vibe.

But the Prophet Pachter hath spoken. So shall the black sea of Sony be cleaved and broken upon the shore of it's own hubris. Lo and unto thee the viridiscent vermin shall plague your houses and thou shalt harken to the subscription services. The Lord hath condemned your Uncharteds and God of Wars and he shall moldeth ye into a Halo player. Amen.

supernova8

Banned
On the RDX podcast today Michael Pachter was asked about how he sees the landscape between Sony and Microsoft this gen, to which he replied "I think PlayStation is doomed, and I think they will cease to exist with how we know them in about 10 years. They can't compete, they have no chance of competing".

His point is that Gamepass is going to become the biggest thing in gaming and Sony don't have the first party studios to fill a comparable service, and the back catalogue that MS is going to have when Activision closes is a mountain too high for them.
While he might be laughed at by some here, he is the leading games futurist and he influences investment decisions amongst other things.
Time stamp 56 40

Guest says positive stuff about Xbox on an Xbox fanboy channel....
surprise GIF

Yoboman

“Look, I think Nintendo is just out of touch,” he said. “I mean, I think they have no idea what they’re doing. The software is great, and the marketing people are really great at doing what they can with the product they have.

“But the Switch is way too late. What really happened is, they completely whiffed on Wii U and, had the Switch come out when the Wii U came out, I think they would have been in the lead this cycle. It didn’t. They launched the Switch way late, and it’s priced too high, so the Switch costs the same as a PS4, and if you, really, you’re only gonna get one console, why would you get a Switch over a PS4? Answer: you love Nintendo first-party titles. But short of that? No, you won’t. I think you get it in addition to a PS4. But I don’t think you get it instead of a PS4. You’re not gonna get it to play all the games that you can on the PS4. So I think they already blew it in this cycle.”

“So, when you talk about what’s gonna change, Nintendo is a backward-looking company,” he continued. “They manage by looking in the rear-view mirror at their past success. Their ex-CEO Kimishima committed to 20 million Switches this year; they’re tracking to do 8 million. They’re missing by a mile. Their new CEO, starting at the end of May, Furukawa, I’ve never met the guy. We’ll see what he says. But the fact is, it’s priced too high to sell 20 million a year; the Wii sold 20 million a year and was priced at $199, and then $149. This thing needs to drop to $199 to have a chance of selling this kind of numbers.”

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No I mean MS gamepass.

MS aren't even after beating Sony anymore. Bigger fish to fry.

I think they still care, the larger portion of the sandbox that is neutral (pc) or owned by them xbox and cloud gaming) the larger profits can be realized. Being at Sony or nintendo's whims for what percentage they have to give up on playstation or switch isn't the end game. (With exception, there is the odd game they are willing to go multiplatform on like minecraft)

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I respect pachter but he is way off in this. It will take more like 20 years 👍🏻
He is always way off

Every prediction he made always turns out the opposite direction it is known and common thing happened for him

Thats why hes a laughing stock on the internet

Last edited:

DJ12

I think they still care, the larger portion of the sandbox that is neutral (pc) or owned by them xbox and cloud gaming) the larger profits can be realized. Being at Sony or nintendo's whims for a cut on playstation isn't the end game.
70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

We are not talking small numbers here that can be ignored to 'win' some console war for your fans that you personally (as in MS not you) don't even care about anymore.

K2D

Banned
Pachters financial tribalism exposes itself more and more as he gets older and cockier.

You know what would be really sobering? If, by some odd twist of fate, he turns out to be right. He's had so many wrong takes, we automatically write him off but WHAT IF lol

Anyway, wouldn't want Sony/MS/Ninty to disappear at all

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
On top of this he actually said that in the next 10-15 years there won't be any consoles, but will be cloud based with a little Streaming box or adapter.
This is where he thinks Amazon is going to come in.

I actually agree with him on this.

Soon, you won't be able to purchase games either physically or via a digital download. The only way you'll be able to play games and access your library from previous generations is via a streaming and subscription service combo.

Klik

The rule of thumb is what Pachter says the opposite will happen.Most of the time he is wrong about everything

K2D

Banned
On top of this he actually said that in the next 10-15 years there won't be any consoles, but will be cloud based with a little Streaming box or adapter.

I actually agree with him on this.

Soon, you won't be able to purchase games either physically or via a digital download. The only way you'll be able to play games and access your library from previous generations is via a streaming and subscription service combo.

Games are for the foreseeable future better technically, run locally. No compression, no delay or denial of service (though Gran Turismo 7 wants to say otherwise).

There will always be a market, and the amount of people seeking those markets out will rise if gaming in general leanes towards streaming.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
On the RDX podcast today Michael Pachter was asked about how he sees the landscape between Sony and Microsoft this gen, to which he replied "I think PlayStation is doomed, and I think they will cease to exist with how we know them in about 10 years. They can't compete, they have no chance of competing".

His point is that Gamepass is going to become the biggest thing in gaming and Sony don't have the first party studios to fill a comparable service, and the back catalogue that MS is going to have when Activision closes is a mountain too high for them.
While he might be laughed at by some here, he is the leading games futurist and he influences investment decisions amongst other things.
Time stamp 56 40

Seems like too much pain to me.

Defi Harold GIF by YIELD

Leyasu

Banned
I don’t believe this. There will always be a market for the home console. Streaming will never replace playing locally. Even if all of the copper lines were removed and replaced with fibre the world over, there would still be quirks that impact the experience.

DragonNCM

This guy need to retire......
Listening & watching his bullshit videos, podcast's and interview's from 1998 & this guy DONT HAVE FUCKING CLUE WHAT HE IS TALKING.
I don't remember when he predicted anything right.

Top Bottom